As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Book] Thread 20XXAD

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    I haven't read Children of the Sky. It's worth reading? Amazon reviews are pretty down on it as a follow up to the first two.

So far it's another step down compared to a deepness in the sky. Again it has interesting ideas though so I'm sticking with it

I'd agree with that. On its own, it's a decent - if oddly young adult in feel - book about a group of people living on a planet of Dickensian dogs. As a sequel to Fire, though, it's underwhelming.

I don't love the idea of Vinge relying again on the Tines, but at least they are one of the most interesting alien races I've read about.

What I liked so much about Fire(and didn't get in Deepness), as well as my recent reads of Aristoi and the Ancillary series, is the exploration of different kinds of minds and consciousness. Are there are books that anyone can recommend which would explore that topic?

The Tines in the sequel felt more like the Spiders than the Tines in the original book to me. As for good explorations of different types of consciousness and what it means to be "alien", I'd say Left Hand of Darkness and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow are my favorites.

The Mote in God's Eye.

I'll add the..well, I'll call them spiders and leave it at that, in Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Children of Time" to the others, all of which are spot on.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    I haven't read Children of the Sky. It's worth reading? Amazon reviews are pretty down on it as a follow up to the first two.

So far it's another step down compared to a deepness in the sky. Again it has interesting ideas though so I'm sticking with it

I'd agree with that. On its own, it's a decent - if oddly young adult in feel - book about a group of people living on a planet of Dickensian dogs. As a sequel to Fire, though, it's underwhelming.

I don't love the idea of Vinge relying again on the Tines, but at least they are one of the most interesting alien races I've read about.

What I liked so much about Fire(and didn't get in Deepness), as well as my recent reads of Aristoi and the Ancillary series, is the exploration of different kinds of minds and consciousness. Are there are books that anyone can recommend which would explore that topic?

The Tines in the sequel felt more like the Spiders than the Tines in the original book to me. As for good explorations of different types of consciousness and what it means to be "alien", I'd say Left Hand of Darkness and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow are my favorites.

The Mote in God's Eye.

I'll add the..well, I'll call them spiders and leave it at that, in Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Children of Time" to the others, all of which are spot on.

Can't believe I forgot Embassytown, although I'll have to be in the mood for dense Mievillian concepts. Blindsight in particular seems like it would be right up my alley, and I've already had many past recommendations for the Sparrow, I just only knew that it involved religious concepts.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    CroakerBC wrote: »

The Mote in God's Eye.

Can't believe I forgot Embassytown, although I'll have to be in the mood for dense Mievillian concepts. Blindsight in particular seems like it would be right up my alley, and I've already had many past recommendations for the Sparrow, I just only knew that it involved religious concepts.

The Sparrow is interesting because, while it does have a POV that is a priest, I am not sure that it is a religious story. The blindspots created by his faith are as very important to the story. It takes his faith seriously, and he's not a villain by any estimation, but it is ultimately the story about the dangers of projecting onto others based on your cultural beliefs.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Okay, this is kinda a vague question, but:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books that are similar to Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian? I'm looking for something with the same atmosphere/tone/style/mood to it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a western (though it can be), it just...well I don't quite know how to put into words what I'm looking for. I've read most other McCarthy, so someone besides him.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Does anyone have any recommendations for books that are similar to Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian? I'm looking for something with the same atmosphere/tone/style/mood to it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a western (though it can be), it just...well I don't quite know how to put into words what I'm looking for. I've read most other McCarthy, so someone besides him.

Maybe Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson? I'm riffing a bit on Blood Meridian's taut, masterfully constructed prose with an unrelentingly grim tone.

EDIT: Effing auotcorrect.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Madison Smartt Bell's Haiti Trilogy game me strong Blood Meridian vibes. His language isn't as poetic - still pretty damned good - but he nails the same "wandering through hell" feeling.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I got The Age Of Wire And String and I can't help reading it with an inner voice that sounds like the shipping forecast.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Finished the Magician's Land, the final book in the Magician's Trilogy by Lev Grossman. Quite pleased. It is quite an artistic accomplishment to take a very unlikable protagonist, unlikable on purpose because he's pretty much an immature manchild putz, and turn him into a deep, complicated and likable character.

Double thumbs up.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I just read Son of the Black Sword. Nice world building in it and the plot is quite interesting.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Picked up Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi and the first paragraph is a hell of a way to start a book

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Finished State of the Art by Iain M. Banks, a collection of his short genre stories and a novella about the Culture.

Um...best not to read it, really, unless you really must be an Iain M. Banks completionist. Any 10 pages from one of his novels is orders of magnitude better than one of his short stories, which are all little vignettes with no particular plot, setting, or character. The Culture novella features Diziet Sma on Earth in the 70s, but unfortunately isn't particularly interesting and involves some trite moralizing (which he's normally good enough to leave unsaid, or to lampshade) and again has no particular plot.

I'm pretty sad at the low quality of this collection. Fortunately, I started Inversions, also by Iain M. Banks, and it's already great! So that's washing away the bad taste.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Wooo "Stiletto", the sequel to "The Rook" was just released. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Finished A Shadow in Summer and A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham, the first two novels in a cycle of four. Maybe they can be summarized as character driven, low-key fantasy set in a kind of ancient fantasy-China. Fairly different to most other fantasy I've read, very slow paced, but avoids a lot of tropes which makes the story interesting and difficult to predict. The world building is interesting and fairly unique, as is the magic system, if you could call it that - the basic idea is that "poets" are able to bind certain pure ideas into physical form - a kind of familiar that is bound to the mind of the poet. These familiars struggle to free themselves, but can be controlled and they possess the magic powers, not the poets themselves. Heavy on political intrigue, far removed from crazy heroics. Not for everyone, I would say, the slow pacing and the subtleties might not work if you're a bit impatient. But I quite like them, and I think will continue reading the series.

Also finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. Very.... Tarkovskij-esque, is the feeling I had. Dreamlike in parts. A bit weird, but not overly so. Again, probably not for everyone, I could see how you really would not like it. I did though, and will probably pick up the sequel at some point.

Now reading Hardwired by Walther Jon Williams. My 15 year-old self would have loooved this one - I adored Neuromancer, and played a lot of RPGs back then (the pen and paper kind, mind you - computer RPGs were barely invented back then), and that 80s machismo namedropping style really brings me back. Maybe not as poetic as Neuromancer, but with more adrenaline. A bit too much style over substance for my current tastes, but very much a child of it's time, which if you like a bit of nostalgia has value of it's own. I'm liking it.

Grudge on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Grudge wrote: »
    Finished A Shadow in Summer and A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham,

yessssss <3 him

his dragon and coin set (5 books) is also pretty good although I like the long price better

he's one of my fav fantasy authors

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Finished A Shadow in Summer and A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham, the first two novels in a cycle of four. Maybe they can be summarized as character driven, low-key fantasy set in a kind of ancient fantasy-China. Fairly different to most other fantasy I've read, very slow paced, but avoids a lot of tropes which makes the story interesting and difficult to predict. The world building is interesting and fairly unique, as is the magic system, if you could call it that - the basic idea is that "poets" are able to bind certain pure ideas into physical form - a kind of familiar that is bound to the mind of the poet. These familiars struggle to free themselves, but can be controlled and they possess the magic powers, not the poets themselves. Heavy on political intrigue, far removed from crazy heroics. Not for everyone, I would say, the slow pacing and the subtleties might not work if you're a bit impatient. But I quite like them, and I think will continue reading the series.

Also finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. Very.... Tarkovskij-esque, is the feeling I had. Dreamlike in parts. A bit weird, but not overly so. Again, probably not for everyone, I could see how you really would not like it. I did though, and will probably pick up the sequel at some point.

Now reading Hardwired by Walther Jon Williams. My 15 year-old self would have loooved this one - I adored Neuromancer, and played a lot of RPGs back then (the pen and paper kind, mind you - computer RPGs were barely invented back then), and that 80s machismo namedropping style really brings me back. Maybe not as poetic as Neuromancer, but with more adrenaline. A bit too much style over substance for my current tastes, but very much a child of it's time, which if you like a bit of nostalgia has value of it's own. I'm liking it.

I really encourage you to follow through with the southern reach trilogy. Second one is maybe not as good as first. Third one really great.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Finished the Trautor Baru Cormorant. Brutal. When's the sequel out?

At times I felt like I was reading a fancy narration of a long, rules heavy, drawn out lands and trade based board game, ha.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Wooo "Stiletto", the sequel to "The Rook" was just released. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Finished the book.

It was great. Also great to have more great female protagonists out there. Damn I love this guys work.
    Loved the Daredevil reference. Loved seeing Shantay in action at the end, that was great. Loved the new main characters and their non-world ending powers (compared to Myfanwy who is definitely towards the high-powered end of the power spectrum). The Chekov's gun was well played.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Danial Abraham is also James S.A. Corey, writer of the Expanse.

In any case, the Long Price is one of my favorite SFF series ever.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Shadowhope wrote: »

One half, at least. Ty Franck is the other half.

I've been meaning to read some of Abraham's stuff some time.

And on that note, Babylon's Ashes scheduled for a November release.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

His another series, Dagger and Coin, is also finished, and definitely worth reading.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I could have sworn I saw it slated for Summer at one point. I wonder if this author side or publisher side to take advantage of the TV tie in.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Asthariel wrote: »

His another series, Dagger and Coin, is also finished, and definitely worth reading.

I liked Dagger and Coin a lot, but not as much as the Long Price. I think that it has a much more engaging and accessible story - and it's a world begging to be turned into an RPG - but LP has a lot more ambition and tells a better story.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm working my way through Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm digging it so far, has a helluva opening.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Just finished the Crossroads trilogy by Kate Elliott.
    Anji is such a bitch. Fuck that guy for real. That was some red wedding asshole shit. And fuck those asshole Qin and their "everything is a demon" shit. I'd definitely be into more books about the Hundred, though.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular

I picked up 'Shadow in Summer' the other day and I've been burning through it; very nice, I think I can see its shared DNA with The Expanse.

Before that I was on a huge Charles Stross kick; The Laundry Files and Merchant Princes are both fast, fun, clever series.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Long Price Quartet is great. Love that series.

Finishing up Working God's Mischief here, and... the pacing of this series is really weird. Like I enjoy it, but he'll spend as much time on some momentous, landscape-changing death as he will someone's conversation over breakfast. Bizarre. I guess he's been doing the low-key thing since Black Company, though.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Finished the book.

It was great. Also great to have more great female protagonists out there. Damn I love this guys work.
    Loved the Daredevil reference. Loved seeing Shantay in action at the end, that was great. Loved the new main characters and their non-world ending powers (compared to Myfanwy who is definitely towards the high-powered end of the power spectrum). The Chekov's gun was well played.

I finished it last night, and I agree. While I was a little sad to see less Myfanwy, I fell in love with the new protagonists pretty quickly - certainly by the time of the back-to-back sections with the dossiers. Also, O'Malley is really great for setting up his Chekov's Guns well ahead of time. He packs in a ton of minor world building details that swing around in ways that make a huge amount of sense but aren't pushy in a "hey, this is going to be really important later" kind of way.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i should try the long price quartet

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

Exactly, that's how I "found" him - I've read all the Expanse books published so far. I can't really say that I see many similarities though - I actually expected the Long Price to be more like the Expanse, but it was very different (in a good way though). Different tone, different pacing, different characters.

I got the first Dagger and Coin book btw, thanks for the recommendation, guys. To have something new before continuing the Long Price and the Southern Reach - I try not to read a full series back to back, there is always a risk of burn out, and that would be a shame if the series is good.

Grudge on
  • Options

Exactly, that's how I "found" him - I've read all the Expanse books published so far. I can't really say that I see many similarities though - I actually expected the Long Price to be more like the Expanse, but it was very different (in a good way though). Different tone, different pacing, different characters.

I got the first Dagger and Coin book btw, thanks for the recommendation, guys. To have something new before continuing the Long Price and the Southern Reach - I try not to read a full series back to back, there is always a risk of burn out, and that would be a shame if the series is good.

The biggest similarity I see is in the character work. Even horrible people are treated as people with motivations and you can almost be sympathetic with them and then you remember the horrific things they've done.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    So if you bought any ebooks between Summer 2010 and Summer 2012, check your account on your online retailer of choice. I now have $142.06 in Amazon gift card due to the Apple price-fixing thing.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    .....you purchased a large number of ebooks.

• Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    Daniel Abraham is also M.L.N. Hanover, the pen name under which he wrote a 5 book urban fantasy series. It's as excellent as everything else hes ever published, but unfortunately it apparently wasn't selling well enough to continue. So a lot of the various plot questions raised are never answered. I keep hoping that he'll go back to it, maybe using the attention he might be getting from The Expanse to help promote it a bit more.

• Options
    Thanks for pointing those out but wow are those covers cheesecake. I know authors don't get a whole lot of control over that until they are very well established but geez, I would totally skim past them on a book shelf just assuming they're horrible because of that.

• Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, those covers are I guess supposed to be depicting the main character? Except they don't really do that at all.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    They are supposed to be selling the book to the "Urban Fantasy" audience, which is large and largely female and basically wants dangerous but vulnerable women who fuck vampires.

• Options
    StuffGuy wrote: »
    Daniel Abraham is also M.L.N. Hanover, the pen name under which he wrote a 5 book urban fantasy series. It's as excellent as everything else hes ever published, but unfortunately it apparently wasn't selling well enough to continue. So a lot of the various plot questions raised are never answered. I keep hoping that he'll go back to it, maybe using the attention he might be getting from The Expanse to help promote it a bit more.

I picked the first one up before I knew it was Daniel Abraham.

I didn't like it.

I went back to it after I discovered that M.L.N. Hanover was Daniel Abraham. I thought "Maybe I was too hasty? Maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it? Maybe I was tired? Maybe it was steak when I was expecting hamburger?"

On reading it, I still didn't like it.

As much as I love the Long Price, and enjoyed the Spider War, and appreciate the Expanse, I think that the Hanover books achieved pretty much the level of success that they merited.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So if you bought any ebooks between Summer 2010 and Summer 2012, check your account on your online retailer of choice. I now have $142.06 in Amazon gift card due to the Apple price-fixing thing.

My fiancée has something along the lines of $60 in credit. She showed me the email and said "That tells you how many books I buy."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    StuffGuy wrote: »

I picked the first one up before I knew it was Daniel Abraham.

I didn't like it.

I went back to it after I discovered that M.L.N. Hanover was Daniel Abraham. I thought "Maybe I was too hasty? Maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it? Maybe I was tired? Maybe it was steak when I was expecting hamburger?"

On reading it, I still didn't like it.

As much as I love the Long Price, and enjoyed the Spider War, and appreciate the Expanse, I think that the Hanover books achieved pretty much the level of success that they merited.

I've heard a lot of praise for them actually. In large part because they apparently aren't just thinly disguised erotica with disturbing gender politics, which is a rarity in that genre.

Also might explain why they sold poorly compared to his other work.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Nice thing is the Amazon credit doesn't have to be applied only to e-books.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.