As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    High scores in any game like this very rarely match up with the variety of moves available to you.
    However this series is a lot better at it than many others I've played. It doesn't really matter how you play, you always feel like Batman. And you do get variety bonus for doing a counter at least once.

For me, feeling like "The Batman" is about precise dominance. Dropping in and quickly and efficiently clearing the goons feels like being "The Batman." Jumping around goons so I don't break combo and staying away from instant takedowns so I can milk more points from goons, doesn't.

This is also why I love the Predator rooms and fear-multi-takedown in AK.

Yeah well I only have two conditions for feeling like "the Bat": never lose my combo and never take damage.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Informants keep spawning until they have revealed all the trophy/riddle locations, correct?

Because I've got six or so left but can't find any informants anywhere.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »
    Informants keep spawning until they have revealed all the trophy/riddle locations, correct?

They should.
    Have you finished the game? I'm pretty sure some riddles only get opened up to hints after you reach a certain point in the story. If you've got all the locations for 'current' riddles, the informants stop spawning until you advance the plot some more.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Was doing the Slumdog Billionaire AR challenge the other night. I must've attempted that challenge at least 4 dozen times, never coming close to the 3 star score.

During one attempt I got into the zone. I deftly dodged all incoming bullets, deployed counter measures at perfect times and with 15 tanks left out of 64, I had already got the 3 star score. I finally whittled down the last few drones until all was silent. I did it. I finally did it.

One problem: There was still one copter drone on the map. I found him on radar and discovered he was stuck in the geometry on the upper level of the city. I could just see the tip of his whirling blades and a little red light peeking from the edge, but due to the barrier and geometry, I couldn't get a shot on him, nor could I get him to break loose.

I sat there staring at that asshole for a good 2 minutes before I rage quit and turned my Xbox off for the night.

I haven't come close since.

Kestrel1 on
    Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    For me, feeling like "The Batman" is about precise dominance. Dropping in and quickly and efficiently clearing the goons feels like being "The Batman." Jumping around goons so I don't break combo and staying away from instant takedowns so I can milk more points from goons, doesn't.

This is also why I love the Predator rooms and fear-multi-takedown in AK.
    I'm sorta with you here. Inducing fear into the goons as you take them out feels very like (movie) Batman to me, moreso than stealth take-downs on an entire room full of dudes or min-maxing scores. FEAR takedowns are a great addition IMO, I wish they had showed up sooner in the series.

BUT horses for courses - I think it's cool that the combat system has enough flexibility to allow for either style. I could care less about that box of stuff that comes up after an enemy encounter - I couldn't even tell you what info is in it. The one mechanic I just *cannot* get to work is the "Tap LT to KO charging thug". This feels like it's part of the basic moveset and all, but I'm just missing something in the execution. These guys get me every. damn. time.

Just through ACE Chemicals, and I'm having lots of fun with AK. The
    Joker
    reveal? Just spectacular. I had been spoiled on this, but not the details of how/when it occurs, and I was deep enough into the story that I wasn't consciously looking/waiting for it. Caught me off guard when it actually happened, then stole the show (it's obvious in retrospect, but that doesn't really matter).

Senna1 on
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

They should.
    Have you finished the game? I'm pretty sure some riddles only get opened up to hints after you reach a certain point in the story. If you've got all the locations for 'current' riddles, the informants stop spawning until you advance the plot some more.

I have finished the arkham knight/scarecrow storyline, yes. I suspect I just need to log out of the game.

Thanks!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I am relieved that they have some PC patch notes. I seriously can't wait to play AK!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Kestrel1 wrote: »
    Was doing the Slumdog Billionaire AR challenge the other night. I must've attempted that challenge at least 4 dozen times, never coming close to the 3 star score.

During one attempt I got into the zone. I deftly dodged all incoming bullets, deployed counter measures at perfect times and with 15 tanks left out of 64, I had already got the 3 star score. I finally whittled down the last few drones until all was silent. I did it. I finally did it.

One problem: There was still one copter drone on the map. I found him on radar and discovered he was stuck in the geometry on the upper level of the city. I could just see the tip of his whirling blades and a little red light peeking from the edge, but due to the barrier and geometry, I couldn't get a shot on him, nor could I get him to break loose.

I sat there staring at that asshole for a good 2 minutes before I rage quit and turned my Xbox off for the night.

You have my sympathy.

I still haven't completed that AR challenge. Did you use missiles or hacks to build your score?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    AA is a pretty challenging game on hard, you guys. I am not yet the Bat. For frame of reference that may not mean anything to anyone, I think it's harder than the modern Ninja Gaiden. It is also excellent.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    AA is a pretty challenging game on hard, you guys. I am not yet the Bat. For frame of reference that may not mean anything to anyone, I think it's harder than the modern Ninja Gaiden. It is also excellent.
    It's not that bad once you've figured out the systems. It just has a very specific rhythm to it that takes a little while to find.

Ninja Gaiden, on the other hand, is always a motherfucker.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    It's not that bad once you've figured out the systems. It just has a very specific rhythm to it that takes a little while to find.

Ninja Gaiden, on the other hand, is always a motherfucker.

It's very rhythm based, and not just in the literal sense. The longer I play, generally, the better I play.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    AluchemAluchem Registered User regular
    im the real batgirl

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah it's a rhythm game. Dance dance Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFHY0NBsoNU

I basically described why I like Batman to my friend as "all the timing, spatial awareness, tactics and divided attention that you develop after you've mastered the basic combos in an action game, only without the need to actually memorise any combos so you can just jump straight into it."

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    How do you pick a guy up? I just unlocked the AR challenge attached to "take out a brute with an environmental takedown" (which for some dumb reason only works on melee guys) but I can't figure out how to pick a dude up,and I think that might be the last special one I have.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    R2+O on PS4. I imagine RT+B on an XBox controller.

Not sure on KBAM.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    That would explain it. I kept thinking it would be a combination of face buttons like picking up a weapon. Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    How do you pick a guy up? I just unlocked the AR challenge attached to "take out a brute with an environmental takedown" (which for some dumb reason only works on melee guys) but I can't figure out how to pick a dude up,and I think that might be the last special one I have.

When they are near an environment takedown they turn blue, hit X + A

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

When they are near an environment takedown they turn blue, hit X + A

Yep, I got it this morning while saving a firefighter. I hadn't really noticed the blue glow until the fight near the end where
    Oracle expressly tells you to use her traps.
    so I was hoping to mop it up as I free-roamed before taking on (I think) the final story mission. Pretty useful stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015

The kicker about environment takedowns is they're all somehow nonfatal. How Batman can channel the dude from Sleeping Dogs in them and not kill people is just... batmagic.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    The kicker about environment takedowns is they're all somehow nonfatal. How Batman can channel the dude from Sleeping Dogs in them and not kill people is just... batmagic.
    AK Batman has nonlethal heat seaking surface to surface missiles and a vulcan cannon on his Batmobile too, so... yeah. :lol:

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    AK Batman has nonlethal heat seaking surface to surface missiles and a vulcan cannon on his Batmobile too, so... yeah. :lol:

"Rubber electrical breaker boxes. Honest"

I'm a firm believer in the rule of cool for games though.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7tNgsIf-g

• Options
    Oh yeah, Burton Batman kills a bunch of people; all movie Batmans really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM

The One Rule is kinda a weird thing; it's "core" to the character - right up until it isn't.

• Options
    oh wow, I forgot the Batmobile had the "grappling hook up buildings" thing in the movies (~1:48) too..

• Options
    This glut of riddler informants is starting to be a pain. I just coasted around of an hour and a half without seeing a single one. The only thing I have left to do are a handful of riddles (and one breakable) on Founders and an informant won't show up to tell me where it is.

• Options
    Only check the areas where riots are happening or you are wasting your time.
    They're not specific to the island either, so check all three islands.

• Options

"Rubber electrical breaker boxes. Honest"

I'm a firm believer in the rule of cool for games though.

Neither of those two weapons are supposed to be nonlethal though. He never uses them on anything with a human in it.

But I'm also a firm believer in the rule of cool.

• Options
    This glut of riddler informants is starting to be a pain. I just coasted around of an hour and a half without seeing a single one. The only thing I have left to do are a handful of riddles (and one breakable) on Founders and an informant won't show up to tell me where it is.

Two things:
    1. Embarrassingly, I don't know what "glut" means.
    2. I actually, as it turns out, had gotten all the informants and just needed to look inside.

Thanks jclast!

• Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yea - the "no kill rule" has always been much more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule . Bob Cane's Batman gave no shits about killing and carried a 1911. If memory serves in Miller's year one he carried the actual gun Joe Chill used to off his parents . And then there's that scene in Dark Knight Returns where he unloads a M-60 into a punk holding a gun to a baby's kids head .
    "I believe you"

http://dkreturns.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-believe-you.html

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You mean Bill Finger.

• Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    You mean Bill Finger.
    Fair enough. By referencing Bob Cane I was more implying "Originally" than giving credit, but I appreciate the comment. I referenced Miller's work as it is widely considered some of the most influential to the modern mythology.

jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

Two things:
    1. Embarrassingly, I don't know what "glut" means.
    2. I actually, as it turns out, had gotten all the informants and just needed to look inside.

Thanks jclast!

yeah, by context, glut is the opposite meaning to what you're saying.

Dearth is a better word for that.

pronounced durth

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    Kestrel1 wrote: »

You have my sympathy.

I still haven't completed that AR challenge. Did you use missiles or hacks to build your score?
    Neither.

I finally beat the mission handily last night. The trick is just don't get shot. You can take out most drones in a single shot of the main cannon, use the MG on the copters and the missiles, and make sure you are always between shot lines through careful placement and staying out of corners. You're biggest threats are the missile drones since they can hit from anywhere and the copters since they're super mobile. If you get in a bind, use the EMP, particularly if you're being harassed by copters or can't shoot down some missiles in time. As long as you don't get shot and don't let too much time go between kills, you can get 3 stars pretty easily 75% of the way through.

Now I'm stuck on David & Goliath. I can get 5 Cobra kills in under 2 minutes no problem, but that last one is tough as by the time you get to him there are 12 tanks on the map, all very angry and looking for you.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    [The one mechanic I just *cannot* get to work is the "Tap LT to KO charging thug". This feels like it's part of the basic moveset and all, but I'm just missing something in the execution. These guys get me every. damn. time.
    Think I figured this out, and it's making me feel stupid. Is this tip just referencing the batarang quickfire ability? I've spent the first 5 hours of the game thinking I had to time a LT press to 'counter' a charging thug just as he's about to hit/bear hug me. I'm coming to the conclusion that isn't the case at all, and I'm just supposed to batarang them in the face as soon as I see the charge start. Correct me if I'm wrong...

• Options
    [The one mechanic I just *cannot* get to work is the "Tap LT to KO charging thug". This feels like it's part of the basic moveset and all, but I'm just missing something in the execution. These guys get me every. damn. time.
    Think I figured this out, and it's making me feel stupid. Is this tip just referencing the batarang quickfire ability? I've spent the first 5 hours of the game thinking I had to time a LT press to 'counter' a charging thug just as he's about to hit/bear hug me. I'm coming to the conclusion that isn't the case at all, and I'm just supposed to batarang them in the face as soon as I see the charge start. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Nope. Just batarang to the face, and they're down. Any time after the red attack indicator will work (or any time once they start running, if you're playing without attack hints).

• Options
    edited August 2015
    It's the batarang. Each character has their own "tap LT" move, but they all stop a charger.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I just dodge over the charging dudes. Seems like it knocks them out too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I just dodge over the charging dudes. Seems like it knocks them out too.

Only if they're low health.
    You can actually ko them without seeing the indicator btw, if you happen to be throwing a batarang at the exact time they start a charge it'll ko them without an icon popping up.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    There's a pretty big window to KO the charging guys, extending all the way to when they're basically standing after the charge.

Slortex on
  • Options
    And yet they're still the number one cause of broken combos for me in NG+.
    I just get so focused on the guys close to me, I keep on getting blind-sided by these guys. I mean, they're there, but the just don't register until it's too late.
    An upgrade that lets me counter them with the regular counter would probably be my first pick, if it existed.