As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    They can start up right next to you, and if they do their attack is too subtle because all they do is jog on the spot and spread their arms wide. It's a problem with the attack cue that isn't relevant to normal since they get a big glowing icon that helps greatly.
    They shouldn't be able to start so close to you, or should have a much longer pause between the start of the cue and beginning the run. Preferably both.
    I can see it if they start a fair distance away, but I've had to stop letting enemies surround me at close range in NG+ because its too damn hard to make out with all the thugs shuffling around.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    They also have a unique shout before the charge ("shout and charge him, never fails!"). If I hear it and I can't see anybody running at me, I just dodge and swing the camera around. By the time I land I've usually spotted the charging thug and follow up with a batarang - though these guys have high priority with the batarang, so you could probably just dodge and batarang blindly and still get the KO. Either way, listening for the pre-charge shout is more reliable for me than differentiating the actual animation.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    There's a pretty big window to KO the charging guys, extending all the way to when they're basically standing after the charge.
    Yup, now that I realize what is going on I'm having better luck with them. They, and the guys who throw things at you from off-camera, are still the worst at ruining my combo though. I need to get better about active camera control.

Just did the first (only?) paired mission with Nightwing, and kept the combo up for the whole room. The combat in this game can feel so good.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Finally started playing this. Really digging it, and I think I'm getting the hang of the Batmobile. Intrigued by how they brought back that thing we all figured would be back.
    Joker, of course. Love how he's represented as a growing madness Batman struggles to ignore. And Mark Hamill's back!

And I've got to hand it to Rocksteady -- I was braced for highly weirdness from the last games, but they managed to get me good at the start of the second island.
    Riddler's captured Catwoman? This will not stand! Batman, away! *launches toward building on grapnel*
    AAAAAAAAA MAN-BAT IN MY FACE FUCKFUCKFUCK

Edit: Yep, pretty much how I reacted.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Slortex wrote: »
    They also have a unique shout before the charge ("shout and charge him, never fails!"). If I hear it and I can't see anybody running at me, I just dodge and swing the camera around. By the time I land I've usually spotted the charging thug and follow up with a batarang - though these guys have high priority with the batarang, so you could probably just dodge and batarang blindly and still get the KO. Either way, listening for the pre-charge shout is more reliable for me than differentiating the actual animation.

Good tip. I don't listen enough in games. I'm primarily visual.
    I only listen when things go off screen.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Knife guys are right bastards.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    I take them out immediately with instant takedowns.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I used to sit and play Arkham City's challenge rooms for hours on end. Last night I sat and played Knight's pitiful 4 combat challenges for maybe 20 minutes. They're just not able to hold my attention. Probably because half of them require that you don't get hit or lose your combo. Though, the Azreal challenge is kind of fun, I would like to at least be able to select the different characters for the challenges. I really hope the crimefighter pack is real proper challenge rooms...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I used to sit and play Arkham City's challenge rooms for hours on end. Last night I sat and played Knight's pitiful 4 combat challenges for maybe 20 minutes. They're just not able to hold my attention. Probably because half of them require that you don't get hit or lose your combo. Though, the Azreal challenge is kind of fun, I would like to at least be able to select the different characters for the challenges. I really hope the crimefighter pack is real proper challenge rooms...

Rocksteady put out a video earlier this month from the Crimefighter Map Pack showing Robin brawling in and "endless" AR challenge mode (think Iceberg Lounge DLC from Arkham City, but on a small rooftop).

I'm prepared for disappointment. I also put hours into Arkham City's Riddler's Revenge challenges and am sorely bummed about them being replaced with AR challenges. I just want the four round system back for brawler challenges, is that so much to ask? My Catwoman was the goddamned business if I do say so myself.

I think the predator maps will remain relatively unchanged.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I "beat" Arkham City last night (still got a lot of sidequests and Riddler Challenges, plus Harley Quinn's Revenge) and I want to talk about it, comparisons with Asylum, and the series in general. Long and some story spoilers, so under the tag it goes:
    -The freeflow combat definitely felt better in AC. I'm not sure exactly why, but I had a hard time building combo in AA, but in AC it just felt a lot easier and smoother to move around and target who I wanted to target. The predator gameplay added a bunch of new features I never really bothered with, just like swooping on the gargoyles too much.
    -Riddler stuff was better in AA. More reasonable number of trophies and the Joker Teeth as breakable objects were just barely tolerable because they made noise and moved around. AC's breakables are too hard to find, there are too many trophies, and so many of them are hidden behind these obnoxious switch puzzles.
    -Liked AA's story more. Joker's plan in AA didn't really feel like a Joker scheme, but at least it made some sense. Hugo Strange expected to set up Arkham City equivalents in other places even after proving he was incapable of stopping weapon smuggling; he wouldn't have been allowed to run a dog pound. His involvement with Ra's is resolved so quickly it felt pointless. The Strange and Joker plotlines never really meshed well, either.
    -AC's boss battles were way better. Not that they were great, but the bosses in AA were just fucking dire. Almost nothing but big brutes with way too many adds. The only fight that was even remotely interesting was Killer Croc, which needed twice as many different interactions and to be three-quarters as long. In AC, Solomon Grundy was cool, if a little repetitive, and and Mr Freeze was a neat take on adapting predator gameplay to a boss fight. (To a lesser extent the same can be said of the final Catwoman/Two-face encounter.) The Ra's and Clayface fights had multiple enemies, but only in certain segments, and they did interesting things with them.

Speaking of Clayface, that battle confirmed that I have been seriously spoiled by Bayonetta's dodge. I keep trying to use it the same way, but it doesn't come out fast enough, doesn't have enough I-frames, and doesn't cancel animations. I kept trying to throw freeze blasts at Clayface and dodge-cancel as soon as it had been thrown, and got hit every single time. I realize that's mostly my fault, though.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    @Andy Joe The reason why AA's combos are harder than AC is because Batman doesn't automatically leap to the enemies like he does in AC. Usually when you press the punch button, Batman will launch himself to the nearest target. In AA if you hit the punch button he'll just whiff and destroy the combo.

Agree pretty much with all of your points.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I don't have to three-star all the AR challenges to get the perfect ending, do I? Please say no.

• Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I don't have to three-star all the AR challenges to get the perfect ending, do I? Please say no.
    No, you just need to 100% the Most Wanted missions.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    Kestrel1 wrote: »
    No, you just need to 100% the Most Wanted missions.

Fantastic. I'm fine with things that gives me immediate story stuff. I was so damn pissed when collecting all the Enigma Riddler stuff in Arkham Origins gave me zilch, especially when Arkham City's Riddler stuff had such a hilarious payoff.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    But to get 100% on most wanted, you need to collect all the riddler stuff. FYI.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options

Oh, still planning on it. Then again I have faith Rocksteady will make the Riddler stuff kinda worth it like in their last two games. (Beyond the progress to the true ending, of course.)

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Oh, still planning on it. Then again I have faith Rocksteady will make the Riddler stuff kinda worth it like in their last two games. (Beyond the progress to the true ending, of course.)

Riddler stuff in AK feels a lot more tedious. I forget who said it, but I agree that its probably because doesn't gate any of the Riddler missions other than the last. Where as in AC you have to unlock certain amounts of riddles before you get each hostage location, so the riddles have breaks with missions. In AK you get to where you only have one Riddler encounter left, but still can have over 200 riddles to solve.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I got 100% of shit for Arkham Asylum and City. I was on my way on doing the same for Knight, but about 40% through the riddler stuff, I thought fuck it and stopped because it started feeling like a total slog, and I couldn't really pinpoint why.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    @Andy Joe The reason why AA's combos are harder than AC is because Batman doesn't automatically leap to the enemies like he does in AC. Usually when you press the punch button, Batman will launch himself to the nearest target. In AA if you hit the punch button he'll just whiff and destroy the combo.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by automatically leap. When in freeflow Batman will cross an entire room to punch the dude you press towards, with special animations and everything. It's a staple feature of all three games.
    There isn't a single overriding reason why it's better in AC. They significantly overhauled the underlying combat engine and really worked on tightening up the rhythm of enemy attacks. Batman has priority on enemy thugs, to the point that he can cancel an incoming punch if his is halfway to the enemy.
    They also cleaned up and organised his animations. Previously he could do long animations when close to enemies, this doesn't happen in AC. If they are close he does a fast animation, if they are medium he does a medium and so on. He doesn't do a long when close.
    They also sped up slow legacy animations (example: the spinning leg sweep) and on top of that implemented a small amount of slowdown so you can react to their faster speed without losing your combo.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. I could write an essay.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Just finished up Arkham Mansion, and I think I'm finally getting a real grip on the combat system. Stuff like immediately cape stunning the aforementioned Knife guys out of a redirect, and just a better grip on the flow of things. Still not THE BAT, but here and there, I flit to and fro, I dance The Batusi.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by automatically leap. When in freeflow Batman will cross an entire room to punch the dude you press towards, with special animations and everything. It's a staple feature of all three games.
    There isn't a single overriding reason why it's better in AC. They significantly overhauled the underlying combat engine and really worked on tightening up the rhythm of enemy attacks. Batman has priority on enemy thugs, to the point that he can cancel an incoming punch if his is halfway to the enemy.
    They also cleaned up and organised his animations. Previously he could do long animations when close to enemies, this doesn't happen in AC. If they are close he does a fast animation, if they are medium he does a medium and so on. He doesn't do a long when close.
    They also sped up slow legacy animations (example: the spinning leg sweep) and on top of that implemented a small amount of slowdown so you can react to their faster speed without losing your combo.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. I could write an essay.

Having just completed the game last week. I know for sure that though Batman in Arkham Asylum has a higher chance to not leap across the screen in some cases. If a thug is too far, Batman won't do his leap and will instead punch. Mainly, if the thug is more than 6 bodies away in AA, Batman will not do the leap and will instead punch.

Where as in AC and all the other games Batman does make the full leap no matter how far the thugs are. But I was using the controller when I originally learned how to play the game on mouse and keyboard so that could have played a factor in it feeling different.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Nah, you must have pressed the wrong direction or had an environmental obstacle be in the way. He can ping pong across entire rooms just fine. People were happily chattering about how cool it was way back when AA was the only game available.
    I've played it a shit ton of AA recently.

What did happen in AC was he got a kind of auto targetting, where you didn't have to press quite so precisely in an enemies direction for it to work. BAsically in the same ball park was good enough and he'd turn 90% in some cases if necessary.

Now in AK they've taken that even further and you can almost sit there and just press punch without even pressing the stick in any direction and have a reasonably good chance of never missing. You will if you are right on the edge and the only thugs are directly behind you some distance away, but in the middle of a group or when there's thugs on either side of you, you don't even have to aim.

Not really sure how I like that.

In AA you definitely had to aim properly or it counted as a whiff.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    If the Arkham games had gotten rid of the freeflow combat and just had predator sections, I'd like it much more than the reverse.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Nah, you must have pressed the wrong direction or had an environmental obstacle be in the way. He can ping pong across entire rooms just fine. People were happily chattering about how cool it was way back when AA was the only game available.
    I've played it a shit ton of AA recently.

What did happen in AC was he got a kind of auto targetting, where you didn't have to press quite so precisely in an enemies direction for it to work. BAsically in the same ball park was good enough and he'd turn 90% in some cases if necessary.

Now in AK they've taken that even further and you can almost sit there and just press punch without even pressing the stick in any direction and have a reasonably good chance of never missing. You will if you are right on the edge and the only thugs are directly behind you some distance away, but in the middle of a group or when there's thugs on either side of you, you don't even have to aim.

Not really sure how I like that.

In AA you definitely had to aim properly or it counted as a whiff.

That makes sense. I was way more accurate when I would whip the camera with the mouse than with the right analog stick.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    If the Arkham games had gotten rid of the freeflow combat and just had predator sections, I'd like it much more than the reverse.

I would cry rivers of tears if either were removed to be honest.

One of my favourite things in AC and AK is setting up a group in such a way that you can segue straight into freeflow combat, using gadgets, critical strikes and combat takedowns to finish them all off without anyone getting a shot off. It's an amazing feeling.

One of my favourite things about Fear Takedown is that it counts for freeflow combat, so you can take out, if you set it up right, 8 thugs by immediately throwing a batarang to knock out three more and doing a multi takedown on them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    It was bugging me that I couldn't remember where I'd heard Quincy Sharp's voice before, so I looked it up and holy shit he's Mr. Herriman!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Do you ever get intel on checkpoints or mines? Because all I have left to do (aside from riddles) is 1 checkpoint and 2 mines. Also, question re: a riddler trophy by a ferris wheel.
    It seems like all I should have to do is voice synthesize each bot onto a pad, freeze them, and then get onto the third pad myself, but I can't get the timing down. Am I missing something here or do I just need to be faster?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    @jclast :
    This one took me a couple tries to figure out. You have to get them to march to the pad opposite them, otherwise they see you and attack. As long as they are facing outwards from the platform they're on, you should be ok.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Do you ever get intel on checkpoints or mines? Because all I have left to do (aside from riddles) is 1 checkpoint and 2 mines. Also, question re: a riddler trophy by a ferris wheel.
    It seems like all I should have to do is voice synthesize each bot onto a pad, freeze them, and then get onto the third pad myself, but I can't get the timing down. Am I missing something here or do I just need to be faster?

I did it by
    Voicing each bot onto a pad, freezing the melee one and throwing a smoke pellet onto the third pad before dropping down onto it from the ferris wheel

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

If you listen to the police sometimes they will give you directions towards mines and roadblocks.

Mines are usually easy to see from the sky with the red blink. You can also just drive and listen for the beeping.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Finding checkpoints is easiest by gliding around with detective vision on. Swoop in on any group of stationary people, and there's a good chance you'll hit a checkpoint. Obviously, the one's you've missed are probably in the areas you don't come close to during the game, so try the spots you don't pass very often. Outside edges of islands, etc.

I've got a list of co-ordinates for checkpoints and mines, so if you get sick of searching, just say what island you're looking on, and I can give you some locations.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, there was news of a patch recently, did it drop yet, or is that yet to actually arrive?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The august patch is coming in september.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I got 100% of shit for Arkham Asylum and City. I was on my way on doing the same for Knight, but about 40% through the riddler stuff, I thought fuck it and stopped because it started feeling like a total slog, and I couldn't really pinpoint why.

I think I know why -- unlike Arkham City, the Riddle stuff is pretty spread out, plus most of them aren't attached to overly-complex neon green mechanisms. So it's extremely unlikely you'll manage to find them on your own without beating information out of informants.

Which is a bit of a bummer, but oh well.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    One of my favourite things about Fear Takedown is that it counts for freeflow combat, so you can take out, if you set it up right, 8 thugs by immediately throwing a batarang to knock out three more and doing a multi takedown on them.
    My only gripe is that you can't initiate a Fear Takedown from a glide kick. Even have the glide kick use up one of the takedowns so as not to give an additional 'free' takedown. It's just odd that I can zoom in from 30 stories up, land on a dude, and that doesn't initiate the "OMG, it's the Batman" takedown sequence, but if I land behind a guy and press 'X', it's on...

There's an upgrade to jump straight into a Fear Takedown from grappling; the fact that there isn't one from a glide kick also seems like an omission.

• Options
    Senna1 wrote: »
    My only gripe is that you can't initiate a Fear Takedown from a glide kick. Even have the glide kick use up one of the takedowns so as not to give an additional 'free' takedown. It's just odd that I can zoom in from 30 stories up, land on a dude, and that doesn't initiate the "OMG, it's the Batman" takedown sequence, but if I land behind a guy and press 'X', it's on...

There's an upgrade to jump straight into a Fear Takedown from grappling; the fact that there isn't one from a glide kick also seems like an omission.
    Can you start it from a...the dive-bomb-then-blast thing? (I forget what it's called)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    12 hours till that PC patch comes out guys! I'm pretty excited about it!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah I can't wait to hunt for 80s music cassettes, kidnap dudes with balloons and hang out with a cool dog friend!

Wait..

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Wasn't sure if the game could keep the
    Joker stuff
    interesting, but (mid-second island spoiler)
    having him pop up over and over again during the raid on Arkham Knight's HQ on the second island
    started to get a bit unnerving. Good stuff.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    klemming wrote: »
    Finding checkpoints is easiest by gliding around with detective vision on. Swoop in on any group of stationary people, and there's a good chance you'll hit a checkpoint. Obviously, the one's you've missed are probably in the areas you don't come close to during the game, so try the spots you don't pass very often. Outside edges of islands, etc.

I've got a list of co-ordinates for checkpoints and mines, so if you get sick of searching, just say what island you're looking on, and I can give you some locations.

This is how I found all mine. I just glided around, sometimes using the batmobile to move between islands if I'd exhausted my search.
    Senna1 wrote: »

I dunno. That feels like it would be more than a little too powerful. With the way they work currently you do at least have to get up behind someone or come at them from a blind spot.
    Just being able to superpower land on dudes and go straight into fear takedown. Would you really do anything else? Kind of feels like it would be a straight better option than pretty much any other startup.

Morninglord on