As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] - Madhouse Phalla - Mafia Victory

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    We disapprove of the above message's grammar

Not my fault the vote closes at ungodly hours here :(

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I actually thought you were teasing people with both "two" and "quite".
    Guess not then. Sorry.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    So, anyone up for Cythraul, or are we going to let the Mafia distract us again?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Actually, here's a question - have anyone's seer results come up consistently random, or are the various Mad Seers getting results that are the opposite of what death has been revealing?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I would guess that the recently deceased psychiatrist, TRV, would have been the most likely person to understand what motivates others...
    ...to commit murder.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular

Heffling you sound like me yesterday. I wanted to vote TRV for accountability while you didn't, and now you expect people to follow you into doing the exact same thing? Seriously?

I'm torn between voting you or Gizzy: hunch or mechanics check.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Have you only seered two people in the game so far?

• Options

I actually thought you were teasing people with both "two" and "quite".
    Guess not then. Sorry.

Haha its all cool, I was just up late being Batman and didn't even realize I made the mistake.

• Options

Only 2 people successfully. One night I forgot to place orders (and vote, working in the middle of nowhere does that sometimes), one seer result the guy died and another the seer result came back with nothing at all. So really I don't know how the mechanic works (or better, doesn't work).

Steam
  • Options

Heffling you sound like me yesterday. I wanted to vote TRV for accountability while you didn't, and now you expect people to follow you into doing the exact same thing? Seriously?

I'm torn between voting you or Gizzy: hunch or mechanics check.

So you're saying you are torn between voting for me, or for the person that was literally defending you as a villager yesterday?

• Options
    The mafia know I'm village, why wouldn't they publicly defend me being a villager? It'd make them look awfully good wouldn't it?

Steam
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Actually, here's a question - have anyone's seer results come up consistently random, or are the various Mad Seers getting results that are the opposite of what death has been revealing?

Ebum/my results seem to have been alternating between correct and opposite. I say seems to because there is a hole in the data one night where ebum got no results. If it really is alternating and not something else controlling results, TheBrayster should end up mafia.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    So either-

Cythraul was lying and is mafia
    Cythraul was telling the truth and his seering ability is entirely random
    Cythraul was telling the truth, his seering ability is backwards, and Gizzy is mafia

I'm leaning towards believing #2 (of course over #3, but also over #1) because it felt genuine when he said he seered me. I guess it's possible that was some bold mafia moves to get on the vig's good side .. but seems too risky putting himself on the line that early in the game to be seered by a normal seer.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Only 2 people successfully. One night I forgot to place orders (and vote, working in the middle of nowhere does that sometimes), one seer result the guy died and another the seer result came back with nothing at all. So really I don't know how the mechanic works (or better, doesn't work).

If the guy died you'd still know if the result was accurate or not, so between that, Gizzy, and TRV, you should have at least some idea of how it works.
    JPants wrote: ยป

Ebum/my results seem to have been alternating between correct and opposite. I say seems to because there is a hole in the data one night where ebum got no results. If it really is alternating and not something else controlling results, TheBrayster should end up mafia.

Hmm, hadn't even thought of that. One of my results is still alive so I can't confirm that for sure (plus I missed a night), and the two interesting results I have are on alternating nights so I can't glean anything from them. I'll go with you for now and vote TheBrayster until anyone comes up with anything better.

JayKaos on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    @JayKaos might want to revote since you edited.

• Options
    Whoop sorry, I was actually editting to remove your vote from the quote to avoid any confusion - shoulda left it alone. TheBrayster

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Test out another mad seer result? GREAT IDEA!

TheBrayster

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    I feel like we've been going around in circles these past couple of days testing unreliable seer results. I think instead I'd rather look at Dragon who has been pretty quiet.

• Options
    TheBrayster

Steam
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    TheBrayster

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Also as a side note, I've been seering people, but I've not had any results in one way or the other. I could be a unlucky normal seer, or a "naive" seer (See everyone as village) I'll keep on seering, for all the good that's been doing me.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Dragon kinda has been very quite this game. Almost like they don't want to be noticed

Fyi I'm not aginst the Breyster vote, just think everyone voting the same is not good for the vote record.

• Options
    I think I will move onto Dragon6860, this doesnt seem like a good idea and I do not like Dragon's vote record.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Well that sure is a wagon.

Sure, kill me, I'm interested to see what I actually come up as.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    I too will vote Dragon

• Options
    Hell, why not Dragon too

• Options
    Vote closed. Final narration later.

• Options
    Final Day: Home for the Criminally Insane

The eerie silence that had settled over the institute was broken that morning as the SWAT van crawled up to the entrance.
    "No movement inside sir. No contacts either." relayed the spotter.
    "Right. All teams move in. Let's get this done."

Torchlight illuminates room after room inside the sanitarium.
    "Two more dead confirmed. Name tags reveal themselves to be Dragon6860 and The Brayster.
    Seems to have been a massive altercation here, and these two tore themselves apart."
    "That makes 18 confirmed dead. One officer down, one missing. What happened here?"
    "Don't know sir. What of the remaining patients?"
    "Lead them all to the van. We'll get a psych profile on each of them, and bring them back once the place has been cleaned up."

As the patients are led out, there's a knowing wink or two shared between a couple, and more than a few crazed grins.

Some years later:

Disc's Happy Holiday Homes has been refurbished since the incident.
    Thanks to some helpful donations from anonymous benefactors, the institute has been refitted with state of the art equipment. Freshly padded cells, automated doors and locks, pneumatic drug delivery chutes, and even butlers willing to take on basic faculties for even the most messy eater.

Similar improvements have taken place for recovering patients as well.
    A pool has been put in, along with a massage parlor and small well-groomed townhouses for those who are well enough to experience a bit of freedom and responsibility.
    A tennis competition runs every Tuesday, and Friday nights a bus runs patients from the accommodation here into town and back for a fun night of revelry and shopping.

The institute's remediation record has never looked better either.
    Several of its previous patients are now taking up residence as caretakers and psychiatrists, trying to assist those who need it most.

And in the courtyard stands what remains of our most illustrious member.
    Obifett has sadly left us now, but was the guiding force behind our center's focus on excellent care.
    His bust shall stand forever in the courtyard as a testament to his foresight and sage advice.

Still, some patients are sadly beyond help.
    Please stay away from patient 0.
    Heffling's family was generous enough to leave us a hearty donation, but he is quite quite mad and must be restrained at all times for the safety of himself and others.

The Dead:
    Dragon6860 - Mad Seer - Soporific - Didn't have as many friends as he thought
    The Brayster - Mad Seer - Childishness - Blew raspberries at the wrong people

The Interned:
    JayKaos - Mad Seer - Insane
    Cythraul - Mad Seer - Mentally Unstable
    Patient Zero aka Heffling - Good Cop

The Victorious:
    Void Slayer - Nightwatchman - Devil's Advocate
    Gizzy - Premeditator - Navelgazer
    JFP - The Diversion - Skittish
    @enlightenedbum & JPants - The Muscle - Channeler
    And Obifett

• Options
    Final Thoughts:
    Originally this idea came about by thinking how could slightly tweak the vanilla game to make vanillagers more interesting.
    So I made everyone seers, and made the seer a seer seer. I figured that the bad info being given out by the many seers could be sorted by the seer seer, and effectively you'd go back to the standard game of vig, guard and seer starting a network.

Two things happened though.
    First, the network never really got together enough to filter the information Sir Fab was getting.
    And second, the village never infodumped into thread once Sir Fab died.
    So TRV never got the voting histories (as far as I know) that he would've needed to start filtering which calls were good and which were bad.

It also didn't help that a lot of the true seers were killed day 1.
    The Telepathic GG was sending true seeing results to Nion.
    The Vigilant Wash was Action seeing.
    Mr T was a just a vanilla seer.
    And Phyphor was going to be a PM thread seer. Which meant I was going to be a mean genie and answer one question truthfully* in a PM chain each day, but then whoever had this power could see all the questions and answers from the people the days before.

Which leads to the other thing:
    One of the mechanics in this game, the rotation of seer powers, never worked after day 1.
    There was a Child power in play up until the last day, and that true saw the owner of the power to the target of the power (whilst also providing random results to the owner of the power). But because that never rotated, it only saw kime and The Brayster (the last day to himself).

Still, the village could have almost ignored all this nonsense and just gone without seers entirely, and that would have just left them without a network, but they didn't manage to get a mafia in the top 2 of the vote past day 1. Not sure if that was just bad luck or compounded by the mechanics.

Speaking of, mechanics and roles to follow.

• Options
    Damnit. I had Void Slayer from my seer calls but wanted one more night to be sure I was reading them right.

• Options
    The disease mechanic:
    Each mad seer starts with a psychological affliction that can target one person per day. These powers mostly see other players in various ways.

Mafia can go insane and lose their mafia power to take on their cover role affliction.

Each disease has an infection rating.

If a person uses a disease with a higher infection rating to see a person with a lower infection rating, then these two people will swap diseases after seeing happens.

If there are more than one set of swaps possible, the one with the highest amount of swapping takes place.

Mafia can opt to come back from insanity, but this will only remove their cover role affliction from the rotating powers.

List of Diseases:
    Insanity: Infection rating 2. - The owner will see the opposite of the target's alignment.
    Sophoric: Infection rating 4. - The owner will see the target as village regardless of the target's alignment.
    Paranoia: : Infection rating 5. - The owner will see the target as village mafia of the target's alignment.
    Oblivious: Infection rating 6. - The owner will see nothing regardless of target.
    Sanity: Infection rating 7. - The owner will see the target's alignment correctly.
    Telepathic (Random): Infection rating 9. - The owner will see a random alignment regardless of the target's alignment. This will then be swapped with the whole result from the other Telepathic player. If the other Telepathic player is dead, a random player will receive the Telepath's result as well as their own, and the Telepath will see the random player's seeing result.
    Dreamwalker: Infection rating 10. - The owner will be added to a PM chain created from the records of the previous owners of this power. They will then be able to ask a question of the host (not alignment based) which the host will answer truthfully and unhelpfully.
    Hat wearer: Infection rating 11. - The owner will see the hat of the first village special to die. They will then put it on and gain their powers. This power will then be given the lowest infection rating as we don't want the seeing target of a new village special to become the new village special.
    Pariah complex: Infection rating 12. - The owner will see when their target is about to die. They will then intervene, killing themselves and the attacker. This does not affect the vote (and in fact triggered fluff when Buddha73's target Day 1 was GG).
    Plastic Knife: Infection rating 13. - The owner will first check infection ratings with his target. If the target will not or cannot take the knife, the owner will see the target by killing them with a black kill. If the owner asks whether they are the SK to the host, the host will ask them whether they think they are. If yes, they become an SK. If no, they are forced to pass the knife on the next night, unless unable I guess (rotation didn't really work).
    Childishness: Infection rating 16. - The owner will see the target randomly. The target will see the owner truthfully.
    Split Personality: Infection rating 17. - The owner will see the target randomly.
    Clown: Infection rating 18. - The owner will see the target randomly. The target will see the owner randomly.
    Vigiliant: Infection rating 19. - Action seer. The mafia group kill will not be seen attached to a player, but will trigger fluff in the seeing.
    Mentally Unstable: Infection rating 20. - The owner will see the target's alignment truthfully 25% of the time and falsely 75% of the time.
    Telepathic (True): Infection rating 21. - The owner will see the target's alignment truthfully. This will then be swapped with the whole result from the other Telepathic player. If the other Telepathic player is dead, a random player will receive the Telepath's result as well as their own, and the Telepath will see the random player's seeing result.
    Micromanager: Infection rating 22. - The owner will busdrive the target onto the previous night's target of this power. This is a two-way busdrive, and there will be specific seeing results informing them that they saw their target as out of place and that they shifted players to put them into the correct place.

Mafia cover role Diseases
    Daydreamer: Infection rating 1. - Each day the owner will see a really bad picture of the target, as drawn by the host in www.sketchtoy.com
    Devil's advocate: Infection rating 3. - The owner will randomly see the target's alignment with a probability of a 'mafia' result equaling the current mafia to player count ratio. That is, there is precisely the same probability that the result would be mafia as if the roles were now randomised.
    Navelgazer: Infection rating 8. - The owner will truthfully see their own alignment, regardless of their target. I.e Disc sees Disc as host.
    Channeler: Infection rating 14. - The owner will see the target's seeing results.
    Skittish: Infection rating 15. - The owner will see anyone they voted for the previous day as mafia, regardless of their alignment. Otherwise they will see their target as village.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Roles:
    Good Cop - Guard
    Bad Cop - Vig
    Pyschiatrist - Seer Seer: The seer seer can see a person to get a list of all the diseases they have ever contracted, or they can see a disease to determine its mechanical effect and get a list of all possible sufferers.

And the Mad Seers who started with a disease (above).

Mafia roles (sacrificed if they want their diseases to actually take effect and rotate. As diseases did not rotate much all game, this meant these roles were retained):
    Pyschologist: Pick a player or a disease. Learn the mechanical effect of the disease in that person or that disease.

Premeditator: Passive. See the names of all diseases that the mafia would have contracted last night or did contract last night (but not what they are or who sent them)

The Muscle: Ensure that the target loses their disease by increasing their disease value to max, or decreasing their disease value to minimum. This power never worked.

Nightwatchman: Ensure that the target does not lose their disease. This killed Phyphor Night 1, as the Plastic Knife could not be passed to him.

The Diversion: Prevent the target from receiving seeing results. This was parked on Cythraul late game.

discrider on
  • Options
    I don't know about everyone else - but this game was amusing for me. If everyone started info dumping in the thread I prob would have been caught because I planned on making stuff up - "I seered TRV and the host gave me this 1-800 number to call - do you think this automated message has a clue!?"

• Options
    Mafia proboards:

Http://thelaziestmafia.proboards.com

I don't think void slayer ever registered to join so he was just kind of swinging in the dark all game.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have to think there is a reason we see unreliable seers even less than thralls and millers. Thralls and millers even if they are in the game often are completely invisible to mechanics, whereas unreliable seers always add confusion. Even if they know they are false, it drowns out the real seer.

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• Options
    Yes I would like to apologize to the rest of the mafia for being quite uninvolved in the game, sorry about that.

• Options
    This was definitely not as vanilla as promised.

Also, I'm terrible at this game.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So, first off, thanks for running discrider! It was fun and the narrations were good!

I like the idea of the mechanics. I think that's something interesting to play with in future games. However, I think you vastly underestimated the amount of noise and confusion this would generate, as well as the raw complexity, work, and time it would take to figure everything out. I think actually getting any useful data from the seers is much, much harder than you imagine given the public information we had. Or even given what TRV could have.

Still though, crazy games are fun :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    If the rotation mechanic had worked, then TRV could've seen mafia by noticing that their diseases didn't ever change. Assuming the mafia didn't go insane of course.

• Options
    Did the plastic knife bypass my guard on Sir Fab, or was I roleblocked?