As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Blood! For Glory! [For Honor]!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I mean if you are down to 1 enemy left in Elimination, just guard bodies until their revive timer is up. Make him come to you or lose the game.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Making them lose the game isn't the problem, it's a super shitty experience sitting around waiting for the timer.

But the running problem is also just an issue at the beginning of the match too. Those characters can basically run fast enough they can grab as many powerups as they want before choosing to fight you.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    I guess as a change of mood, issues notwithstanding, I do want to say that I am thoroughly engrossed by the various heroes and playstyles on offer from this game.

It's to the point where I'm at rep 1 on five different classes and I still cannot settle on one, on top of which I still want to pick up the LB.

Conker - great, satisfying defense and feels great to punish mistakes and aggression. I don't need to hit you with my shield or weapons, I will hit you with the floor! Or walls, or cliffs, or spikes. Oh you have a combo? Too bad. Healing on block feat is amazing. Cons: I don't like the somewhat comedic emotes.

Warlord - enjoyable armored trades, constant forward momentum. Does not care that you are swinging at him, will swing right back at you and win. Explosive stamina and direct damage off a parry+shield chop. Feats make you so tanky and feel good to just shrug off damage. Emotes are badass.

Berserker - insane damage, combos feel good when you can punch through an enemy defense, good mobility and infinite combo can be very rewarding. Nice armor on forward attacks too.

Valkyrie - can't wait for speed buffs. I love her sheer number of tools and I like the spear attacks. Great variety, just needs a little push. Also javelins in 4v4 modes are the best. Please buff my EMOTES.

This game also made me break from my usual "biggest dude with biggest weapon" character choices, because the weapon+shield combat and interactions are just so satisfying. Even the simple act of blocking feels good and responsive from a visual standpoint, I LOVE contextual blocking animations.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Yeah, the Valkyrie's emote game is not strong and her default one is dumb.

• Options
    Some interesting tips here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcC4tBm4q5DOKvjqEpZeiPq6GCSrtAES3h0rYK887BU/preview

TIL I get a free throw on a blocked side dodge attack on Kensei. Thank god I can now stop trying to parry that shit and just go for the simple punish.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcC4tBm4q5DOKvjqEpZeiPq6GCSrtAES3h0rYK887BU/preview

TIL I get a free throw on a blocked side dodge attack on Kensei. Thank god I can now stop trying to parry that shit and just go for the simple punish.

We need to start putting stuff like this and the Hero School videos into the OP

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

We need to start putting stuff like this and the Hero School videos into the OP

Okay, wait. This is the first I'm hearing of this and I can't seem to accomplish this as a Raider.
    Raider has the most confirmed damage on a GB if you are out of stamina (he gets heavy + zone for 95 damage guaranteed).

Is this Top heavy -> Zone when I just guard break push?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I think it's something like 144 damage with maxed out gear and revenge.

edit: I can't be remembering this right, at least I hope I'm not?

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    I want to say, similar to Berserker, you get them exhausted, then throw them so they fall, top heavy immediately comboed into the zone. 95 damage is a ton. That's insane, esp considering the Raider has multiple moves that do stam damage/exhaust, right?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Taking a break from Nobushi to work on a Viking character so I have a Rep character from each faction. Decided on Raider, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Kinda just doing side-step pommel strikes, and R2x3 heavy combos. I mean, it mostly works but also seems kind of predictable.

Switch it up more, remember that your dash in can chain to pommel strike or the guard break. GB, run them to the wall and knee, top heavy, zone unblockable for instance. Then they don't know what horrible thing is coming when you engage.

That said they are predictable yeah, but if you're not being parried, keep doing the R2x3 (or x2 then unblockable) and break their stamina.

Not really sure where they fall once playing people who parry and tech regularly.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Those fighter school videos are cool, but they're based on the alphas/betas, so a lot of stuff shown there is no longer valid.

I'm going to start reporting people for griefing if they're just intentionally running away to drag out the match, specially if they're up against 2+ players.

• Options
    Yeah, I've done that as well already a few times.

• Options
    Current state of the faction war is uhh..concerning as a Knight:
    4naki10x9e2c.png

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Fuckin weebs, man... like the plague. I say us Vikings and the Knights should form an alliance!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Fuckin weebs, man... like the plague. I say us Vikings and the Knights should form an alliance!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/5vqd2y/psa_you_should_be_fortifying_the_territories_you/

"When you first take a territory, it will be extremely weakly fortified. Whereas the next line of opposing territories will be extremely strongly fortified. They're chock full of supplies and troops and very difficult to take. They have a foothold there. The opposition doesn't need to worry as much about fortifying those territories, and they'll nearly always focus on taking back what they've just lost.
    Instead of focusing on expansion every cycle, you absolutely need to fortify the territories that you've just taken or they'll immediately change hands again.
    The cycles should alternate. Expand, fortify, expand, fortify, expand fortify. This prevents spreading resources too thin and overextending. You need to create new footholds as you expand. The first race that collectively masters this will wind up on top."

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    To be honest, the more I've played the more the whole thing kinda just feels arbitrary. Like, it doesn't matter what I do, the results are predetermined. Lately it seems like there's already a crazy ratio of samurai to my vikings in freshly captured territories. Like, as soon as the refresh happens, the battle is already lost.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I think I'm just going to pick an area on the map and make that the single zone I always contribute points to at all times.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It also cycles massively both through the day and through the week. The different factions definitely have different play times.

EDIT: I also managed my first intentional PvP Counter Guardbreak today. Progress!

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sums up the playerbase so well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN30YMzja6Y&feature=youtu.be&t=198\

(just before 3 minutes in)

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »

"You don't fight with Honor"

"No. But he did."

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    now i want a stage with a moon door

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

"No. But he did."

Reminder not to skip arm day.

https://youtu.be/YNzrG4J36rA

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Hold on, does anyone know if zone attacks track and beat side dodges?

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So its getting to the point where I go into duels expecting to win which is good but fuck chasing orochis in a 1vs 1 duel.Only loss today and it was bullshit. On a happy note destroyed a warden so hard it cheered me up and distracted me from the pain that is trying to go through all 8 op levels in borderlands two , was so goddamn close and then died to a surveyor at the last part.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It's been said before, but I'll say it again. This is the most sorry excuse for an emblem editor that I've ever seen. Only 5 layers. Limited selection of shapes. Limited transformation options for the shapes. We're even missing a huge array of basic shapes to draw upon. We don't even have isosceles or right triangles. We could build more shapes with other shapes if we had a reasonable number of layers to work with.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    TIL the parry timing is when the goddamn red arrow FLASHES. How did I overlook this?

• Options
    Well it's not really necessary for most attacks.

Then you go up against a warlord who starts swinging at you, sorta just stops midswing, wonders if he left the oven on, and then hits you.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

"No. But he did."

Every Orochi out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opj6f-XpxGM

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Hold a point long enough...

vLZc7vs.jpg

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I absolutely love For Honor. Unless Mass Effect Andromeda is everything I want it to be, and more, this will likely end up being my game of the year. I'm just really, thoroughly impressed by it.

Just did a series of about 10 duels with a Kensei on my Orochi. I probably lost more than I won, but it was pretty even overall, and I learned a lot. Started off, he would attack into me and I would Zephyr Slash into double overhead lights into a Zone Attack. Then he started feinting the frontal attack and blocking to the side I dodged to. Then I would empty dodge to the right, feint out his block to the incorrect side, then Zone Attack him from my left. When he caught onto that, he adapted. Then I adapted. And it went on like that for ages. By the final match, so many attacks were feinted, and so many more were correctly blocked, dodged or parried; the only real damage came from someone making a mistake and then the other guy slipping in guaranteed damage on the recovery. Felt so good, even when I lost, because I was learning and growing as a player.

I appreciate the shit out of this game. I haven't had this much fun in a competitive fighter since like Smash Bros Melee.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Won much more then I lost today but the loses I did get from pks and the people that run away in a duel made me super salty.

• Options
    It looks like warlord and warden are my niche. Tried Conq and couldn't hack it, couldn't get on board the orochi train. Kensei far too slow and predictable for me. I'll probably keep practicing with peacekeeper and then maybe berserker after patch cause I do wanna know what it's like to go fast.

I don't know why I didn't stick with warden. I was in alpha and it was my better class then. Flailing around as Conq (hah!) just isn't working which is too bad cause I like them a lot

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    am i wrong on the following perception? unlike fighting games, where your moves affect all opponents more or less equally, it seems in for honor, the person you're attacking also factors into whether or not certain moves can be dodged/blocked

for example, im pretty sure I thought that with Conq, most people I grab I can't follow up with a heavy (instead of shoving them). but against Berserker I can. similarly, it seems peacekeeper has more ability to dodge out of sequences that some other classes seem to have to soak up

real? coincidence?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Yes, different classes have different strengths and weaknesses, situations they need to avoid, etc. I know it gets compared to a fighting game a lot but it isn't like one in most ways. That said, a couple of those instances are bugs on the table to be fixed in the first patch.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Peacekeepers are just stupid good at escaping from situations that by all means should have killed them because they can nearly cover ground backsteping while exhausted faster than players can sprint. They can basically get out of jail free whenever they damn well please and are top tier characters even with their triple stab bugged up.

Most characters are capable of following up a guardbreak with a side heavy. I've heard that raider is a bit to slow.

Normally parrying a target gives you a free untechable guardbreak opportunity. But some characters with long reach, predominately the nobushi, have the luxury of being pushed ever so slightly out of guardbreak range and avoid being punished.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think my favorite aspect of conq is that i dont even need to parry to get what seem like untechable throws. if i block any heavy it feels guaranteed into fat damage

• Options
    Ugh, Skirmish orders.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    am i wrong on the following perception? unlike fighting games, where your moves affect all opponents more or less equally, it seems in for honor, the person you're attacking also factors into whether or not certain moves can be dodged/blocked

for example, im pretty sure I thought that with Conq, most people I grab I can't follow up with a heavy (instead of shoving them). but against Berserker I can. similarly, it seems peacekeeper has more ability to dodge out of sequences that some other classes seem to have to soak up

real? coincidence?

You can get side heavies in. Up heavy is too slow to really ever use unless you wall bounce them first. Or knockdown (but not with the jumping charge). If you knock a stam drained opponent you can get a first stage charged up heavy on them.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i think my favorite aspect of conq is that i dont even need to parry to get what seem like untechable throws. if i block any heavy it feels guaranteed into fat damage

They can be teched off normal blocks.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    God damn, Knights are getting crushed in the world map