As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: Spoony Bard vs. Meteor Sage edition

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "not a shooter" is a huge disappointment to the one person out there who was desperately craving a Dirge of Cerberus sequel, though

I...I... :redface:

Anyway, FFRK. Are the events the only way to get the Memory Crystals? I.E. should I force through the next 3 stages on the VIII one to get Quistis and Selphies? Or are they obtainable more frequently?

Also I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. My party is 31 but I've hit a huge wall in what I can complete. Anything "Hard" for events is right out. Story missions around my level even feel way harder than I feel like they should? And I'm quickly running out of story missions that are around my level, including Elites. And XP is a tiny trickle. I understand Sunday is the xp day, but still. :rotate:
    Also Also calling FFXIII-3's combat "Action RPG" is a mischaracterization of the grossest kind.

It's possible memory crystals may be made available as part of dungeon updates, but best to assume that the event will be your only chance for a while.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I said this before, but I feel a decent chunk of the fanbase whining and worrying about the new battle system will immediately shut their traps the moment Square shows off the first gameplay trailer.

There are two things you can always count on to placate FF fans: Visuals and Nostalgia.

Spend a couple minutes showing off a famous location like the Bombing Mission while showing off all the cool 3D animations and attacks from Cloud and company and I guarantee a bunch of the naysayers will sit down and stay silent like a whiny toddler exposed to a shiny thing.

I've just stopped talking about it because there's not really much to be gained from continued debate. Fuck this remake.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I said this before, but I feel a decent chunk of the fanbase whining and worrying about the new battle system will immediately shut their traps the moment Square shows off the first gameplay trailer.

There are two things you can always count on to placate FF fans: Visuals and Nostalgia.

Spend a couple minutes showing off a famous location like the Bombing Mission while showing off all the cool 3D animations and attacks from Cloud and company and I guarantee a bunch of the naysayers will sit down and stay silent like a whiny toddler exposed to a shiny thing.

I've just stopped talking about it because there's not really much to be gained from continued debate. Fuck this remake.

Talking about the same things (the battle system) is annoying, yeah.

But speculation as a whole is fun. Plus the next update is supposed to be this Winter, so we won't have to wait too long for new news.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The prerendered stuff in XII's opening (the camera panning through Rabanastre's streets in particular) is a favorite of mine, since its a gorgeous rendering of everyday Ivalice.

Also, you forgot music, which FF knocks out of the park on a regular basis.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    "not a shooter" is a huge disappointment to the one person out there who was desperately craving a Dirge of Cerberus sequel, though

Anyway, FFRK. Are the events the only way to get the Memory Crystals? I.E. should I force through the next 3 stages on the VIII one to get Quistis and Selphies? Or are they obtainable more frequently?

Also I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. My party is 31 but I've hit a huge wall in what I can complete. Anything "Hard" for events is right out. Story missions around my level even feel way harder than I feel like they should? And I'm quickly running out of story missions that are around my level, including Elites. And XP is a tiny trickle. I understand Sunday is the xp day, but still. :rotate:
    Also Also calling FFXIII-3's combat "Action RPG" is a mischaracterization of the grossest kind.

Note: Dungeon Difficulty isn't what level you should be, it's what level the monsters in the dungeon are. It also affects stamina costs for the stages.
    Note 2: Characters from Dungeons get Memory Crystals from Dungeons; characters from events get Memory Crystals from Events.

More generally, a "standard" party that should help you get through harder content:

A "Samurai" character (for most people and in most instances, this is Cloud)
    A "Combat" character
    A "Combat/Support" character
    A "Black Mage" or "Support" character
    A "White Mage"

Adding all this up, you get, for example (using characters available from dungeons):

Cloud Armor Break/Retaliate
    Kain Power Break/Double Cut
    Wakka Magic Break/Boost
    Rydia -aga magic/-aga magic
    Arc Curaga/ one of Protectga/Diara/Slowga

As for tactics, turn 1 of any stage you want Cloud to Retaliate, Wakka to Boost him, and everyone to attack Cloud, bouncing attacks at the monsters. If you take too much damage or get hit with a status effect you can't deal with, pause the game, force quit, and then restart the battle from the beginning. This will serve you for most trash.

For bosses, set the speed all the way down to 1, to minimize seconds lost. Make sure everyone but Cloud is in the back row. A basic rotation goes like this:

Retaliate-> Armor Break-> Attack-> Repeat
    *For everyone else, Double Cut and Attack are aimed at Cloud*
    Power Break-> Double Cut-> Double Cut-> Repeat
    Magic Break-> Boost-> Attack-> Repeat (note Boost falls off after 4 turns, not three, so if you can squeeze extra seconds and get more attacks in, do so. Just don't let Magic Break fall off)
    Magic until empty-> Attack Cloud
    Heal as needed->Keep up Slowga/Protectga as needed or Diara until empty-> Attack Cloud

Most characters are on a three turn cycle. If you can stretch out your breaks, R2 Break will last 60 seconds, which covers the majority of the fight. R3 is safer.

There's plenty more to it, but that should serve for at least "Hard" content. This way you only need one really good weapon for Cloud. Also keep in mind that if there's no boss to a stage, feel free to use Armor Break/Double Cut/-aga magic as available.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Note: Dungeon Difficulty isn't what level you should be, it's what level the monsters in the dungeon are. It also affects stamina costs for the stages.
    Note 2: Characters from Dungeons get Memory Crystals from Dungeons; characters from events get Memory Crystals from Events.

More generally, a "standard" party that should help you get through harder content:

A "Samurai" character (for most people and in most instances, this is Cloud)
    A "Combat" character
    A "Combat/Support" character
    A "Black Mage" or "Support" character
    A "White Mage"

Adding all this up, you get, for example (using characters available from dungeons):

Cloud Armor Break/Retaliate
    Kain Power Break/Double Cut
    Wakka Magic Break/Boost
    Rydia -aga magic/-aga magic
    Arc Curaga/ one of Protectga/Diara/Slowga

As for tactics, turn 1 of any stage you want Cloud to Retaliate, Wakka to Boost him, and everyone to attack Cloud, bouncing attacks at the monsters. If you take too much damage or get hit with a status effect you can't deal with, pause the game, force quit, and then restart the battle from the beginning. This will serve you for most trash.

For bosses, set the speed all the way down to 1, to minimize seconds lost. Make sure everyone but Cloud is in the back row. A basic rotation goes like this:

Retaliate-> Armor Break-> Attack-> Repeat
    *For everyone else, Double Cut and Attack are aimed at Cloud*
    Power Break-> Double Cut-> Double Cut-> Repeat
    Magic Break-> Boost-> Attack-> Repeat (note Boost falls off after 4 turns, not three, so if you can squeeze extra seconds and get more attacks in, do so. Just don't let Magic Break fall off)
    Magic until empty-> Attack Cloud
    Heal as needed->Keep up Slowga/Protectga as needed or Diara until empty-> Attack Cloud

Most characters are on a three turn cycle. If you can stretch out your breaks, R2 Break will last 60 seconds, which covers the majority of the fight. R3 is safer.

There's plenty more to it, but that should serve for at least "Hard" content. This way you only need one really good weapon for Cloud. Also keep in mind that if there's no boss to a stage, feel free to use Armor Break/Double Cut/-aga magic as available.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

I guess I need to find a good place to find the lesser power orbs for retaliate and double cuts. Suggestions?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Solitary island classic

• Options
    Tuesday/Thursday daily dungeons do black/white orbs plus power orbs I believe, and the hard version is what drops 2* and 3* orbs. I think normal may drop 2* as well, but I don't remember if it's at a useful rate.

If you can manage it, the first level of FFV's Wind Shrine Elite is a good spot as well. Don't worry about other floors, just get those gobbos.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    The damage in this game doesn't make any fucking sense.

Quistis has about 2k hp and a 700 damage storm breath takes away 3/4 of her bar. :rotate:

I got Selphies crystal, but it doesn't seem like beating Elvoret is gonna happen. Anytime I'm doing decently he just storm breaths 3 times in a row. :rotate:

Is there a quicker way to force close an app than going into the app list and doing it manually?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    On my iphone, I just double-click the home button, find the window with the app (since I'm playing it, that'll be the first one), and slide the window up and off screen.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    One thing that gets my goat on RK is that 'Heroic' Dailies has not once netted me any 4* orbs.
    I just recently got a full 50 lvl party, (Squall, Sephiroth, Tidus, Edgar, and Keeper) with some decent gear. But I get around 1 in 5 chance of a party wipe because it can occasionally kick me ass now and again.

Not mastered many of the 'Heroic" ones because of this. But even so, 4* drops never seem to happen, outside of equipment upgrade drops.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    I just recently got my first 4* orb drop in a heroic daily. They are not common at all.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    One thing that gets my goat on RK is that 'Heroic' Dailies has not once netted me any 4* orbs.
    I just recently got a full 50 lvl party, (Squall, Sephiroth, Tidus, Edgar, and Keeper) with some decent gear. But I get around 1 in 5 chance of a party wipe because it can occasionally kick me ass now and again.

Not mastered many of the 'Heroic" ones because of this. But even so, 4* drops never seem to happen, outside of equipment upgrade drops.

It's about a 3% chance. If you want 4* orbs it's better to farm the bosses of Elite dungeons. They are about 16%.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    WELL.

JUST MASTERED MY FIRST BOSS RUSH OH YEAH.

(So what if I burned three mithril on re-stocking IT COUNTS).

I really need to hone abilites, my party is actually pretty damn well balanced.

Quistis(50/limit broken with Black Magic and her whip)
    P. Cecil(54 limit broken with his Sword)
    Cloud(55/Can either be a retaliate bot or spellblade for extra magics)
    Decil(54/Break Bot with a billion health)
    Selphie(50 limite broken, As of this second on RK NA the best healer in the game with her Selphie sticks.)

When Lightning comes out I'm gonna slot Quistis as Pure Support and swap Decil with Lightning with spellblades, and then Cloud can be a dedicated Retaliate bot, and when Terra eventually gets her Memory Crystal she'll supplant P.Cecil.

• Options
    Maths says that blowing all my currently equipped abilities and roaming warrior does 50k to Elvoret; guide says his health is 72k....

Getting off all those abilities is questionable and depends entirely on luck with storm breaths. I'm not sure I can make up the 20k otherwise.

I'm probably better off jumping out and figuring out something different, but the event ends in like 2 hours.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Ultros is brutal on this event. Dealt with the trash more easily than the main game stuff I've been dealing with, then suddenly he's spamming full-party-hit attacks that hit my level 32 face for 1100 damage per character. Nothing in the game so far has hit me that hard. Had two characters die after he pulled two of those back-to-back and just barely pulled off a win in time. Three medals for Actions Taken, but total fail on damage / KO's, resulting in a silver completion and no Master reward.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The battle system in Final Fantasy Dimensions is blazingly fast. Good stuff.

I think this is about as quick as you can make classic ATB without the sheer speed getting you killed.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I think this is about as quick as you make classic ATB without the sheer speed getting you killed.

The sheer speed can get you killed, but that's mostly on bonus bosses.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

As someone who hasn't liked any of their battle systems since FFXII, I'm pretty confident I won't like whatever they come up with.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Enlong wrote: »

I think this is about as quick as you make classic ATB without the sheer speed getting you killed.

Is it the same for the mobile versions of FF5 and 6?

Might actually consider buying them.

The visuals are still a major con for me and kind of sucks not having a proper D-Pad but the battle system and menus feel really good with touch controls.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Whew. Leaving and fiddling with shit turned out to be a good idea.

Got both of the VIII event crystals. Hopefully I'll have better abilities to choose from before the VI event ends to get Edgar and Sabins crystals too.

For the characters whos crystals come from their realms; is there a 'best' way to get them? Will they drop before the character is 50, or only after? Do Elites have better drop chances?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeesh. That 4 tentacle boss destroyed my party. I was not playing a max party, but up till that point I was cruising right along with no issues. That one stopped me right in my tracks.

I figured out that the bottom left is fire vulnerable, and bottom right is ice vulnerable. Can anyone provide the vulnerabilities for the top two? I'm gonna have to bring along Vanille for this one, I think. She's my strongest black mage right now.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Welp did a pull at the Figaro Bros. banner and got...

...my third Golden Spear. I guess Kain's going to remain my highest-damaging dude for a while, then.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Where are people getting onto Dena's email lists? I want some awesome rewards.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeesh. That 4 tentacle boss destroyed my party. I was not playing a max party, but up till that point I was cruising right along with no issues. That one stopped me right in my tracks.

I figured out that the bottom left is fire vulnerable, and bottom right is ice vulnerable. Can anyone provide the vulnerabilities for the top two? I'm gonna have to bring along Vanille for this one, I think. She's my strongest black mage right now.

The other two don't have any elemental vulnerabilities. However, all but the bottom left do seem to be vulnerable to Break, according to Reddit (with the bottom left vulnerable to Death)

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

The visuals are still a major con for me and kind of sucks not having a proper D-Pad but the battle system and menus feel really good with touch controls.

I can't speak of FFV, having not bought it, but VI's menus are somewhat different. Dimensions shows standard ATB bars and has the options for each character appear on the right side when they're ready. VI instead has each character's menu on screen simultaneously, and the ATB charging is represented by their menu (headed by their face) rise from the bottom of the screen into position. I kind of like that setup, as it makes it easier to switch which character you're issuing commands to.

I think it's got somewhat comparable speed, though I'd need to play both again to compare.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Lucascraft wrote: »

http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/the-coin-of-fate-edgar-sabin/

This is the data sheet for all the bosses in the event. I think I used Earthquake twice with Sephiroth RW's shadow flare twice (plus some other aoe? i don't recall) to kill two and then slowly take down the other two

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    *Final Fantasy Dimension chapter 1 spoilers*
    Noooo!

I lost Elgo....I am now mortal. :(

Nice to see the tradition of the old vet dying horribly being revisited here, its nostalgic in an odd sort of dark way.

Early on If you run into someone who is ten levels higher than you and has a shitload of powerful magic, you know he's not long for the world in FF.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Welp did a pull at the Figaro Bros. banner and got...

...my third Golden Spear. I guess Kain's going to remain my highest-damaging dude for a while, then.

You could give it to Edgar or Fran instead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    FFRK: Ok to get a welcome pack go in game and send a message to DeNA support asking about it, how to sign up or whatever. Support sent me a response with the link. It's the same one that's been posted on reddit, not sure if you need to get your email on the list with support first though.

This is the link https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EnJGY_7GHaPXfhvqAL6wbN3N2jkLMq0k1NXpaCVuuH0/viewform

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Any tips for Ultros in Sabins story?

He's "Normal" but everything he does one shots me. If I use fire/lightning his counter one shots characters. If I try to whittle him down without exploiting his vunerabilities his AoE attack still kills half my characters; if I use a Shell RW I can survive it but without my big damage spells or a high damage RW I can't get him down fast enough before his AoE ends up overtaking how fast I can heal it (generally via Selphie and her relic ability)

I guess I could just suck it up and try to get a high damage RW (probably Irving) and take the KO's as long as Sabin doesn't die and lose that medal.

I don't have retaliate for that trick.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Are you using the various Break attacks? Power and Magic Break are incredibly powerful and borderline required in any fight. They'll turn a 1000 hp attack into a 300 tickle. They're one of the first things you should make and hone, because they're never NOT useful

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Are you using the various Break attacks? Power and Magic Break are incredibly powerful and borderline required in any fight. They'll turn a 1000 hp attack into a 300 tickle. They're one of the first things you should make and hone, because they're never NOT useful

I have armor and magic break, but not power. I think last night I had dark attack on instead of magic break, so that was probably stupid. :rotate: I'll try again with that later, using up all my stamina right now on the daily stuff. I can do the hard versions of the dailys now so that's pretty nice for stuff.

I need to spend some time figuring out which orbs I need for retaliate and some more double strikes, and their honing stuff, and spend some time farming that.

Tomorrow is XP day though so yay. Question about that, though; since I just really started playing monday...for the dailies once you master a dungeon, do you get any completion awards afterward, or is it only random drops? And on that note, for the XP dailies, are there any random drops worth re-running them, or is it basically just a one and done thing for each?

• Options
    You only get the mastery bonuses once. After that, all you get is the gold completion reward. Which is a shame and kind of dumb, since if they'd reset them then that would be added incentive to do them every week. As is, once you got mastery, it's far more beneficial to just run the first fight and blow all your abilities to finish it quickly. Then retreat and repeat. Well, unless you can easily finish the whole thing, then you might as well.

Except for the XP dungeon. The completion reward is 3 growth eggs, and you're highly recommended to finish the whole thing each time. It's additional free exp.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    You only get the mastery bonuses once. After that, all you get is the gold completion reward. Which is a shame and kind of dumb, since if they'd reset them then that would be added incentive to do them every week. As is, once you got mastery, it's far more beneficial to just run the first fight and blow all your abilities to finish it quickly. Then retreat and repeat. Well, unless you can easily finish the whole thing, then you might as well.

Except for the XP dungeon. The completion reward is 3 growth eggs, and you're highly recommended to finish the whole thing each time. It's additional free exp.

Sorry, are you saying that you only get the mastery bonuses once ever? I.E. when monday rolls around the dailies I did last week will still be mastered?

Or did you just mean per week?

• Options
    edited August 2015

Sorry, are you saying that you only get the mastery bonuses once ever? I.E. when monday rolls around the dailies I did last week will still be mastered?

The first one. One mastery bonus ever.

edit: I should add just for clarity, this also applies to the completion bonus too.

Once Monday rolls around again, those stages will still be completed, their rewards collected. You're only doing them for the random drops after that.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

I can't speak of FFV, having not bought it, but VI's menus are somewhat different. Dimensions shows standard ATB bars and has the options for each character appear on the right side when they're ready. VI instead has each character's menu on screen simultaneously, and the ATB charging is represented by their menu (headed by their face) rise from the bottom of the screen into position. I kind of like that setup, as it makes it easier to switch which character you're issuing commands to.

I think it's got somewhat comparable speed, though I'd need to play both again to compare.

I just started Dimensions as well (game's got a really solid beginning, though the encounter rate runs a little high), and it's definitely faster than V or VI. Turning up combat speed to max is normally what I do right away in these games, and this is the first time I've considered knocking it down a notch. I haven't, but I'm considering it.

As for the menu/control style, mobile V is near identical to Dimensions. I prefer VI's setup, but the others are totally functional, and maybe even preferable to an actual controller.

• Options

edit: I should add just for clarity, this also applies to the completion bonus too.

Once Monday rolls around again, those stages will still be completed, their rewards collected. You're only doing them for the random drops after that.

Ah. Huh, well I guess that makes some sense, I had been wondering how they could possibly keep any sort of a cap on Mythril otherwise.

Is this also the case for events? If last weeks event rolls around again down the road will they already be completed?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Incorrect. First time and Mastery bonuses are once only, but there's also an everytime drop you get for finishing. Often this is just money, but on the equipment daily it's material and on the XP daily, it's eggs. So those are often worth powering through.

• Options

Incorrect. First time and Mastery bonuses are once only, but there's also an everytime drop you get for finishing. Often this is just money, but on the equipment daily it's material and on the XP daily, it's eggs. So those are often worth powering through.

I wrote completion bonus, but my brain meant first time bonus. :P

This discussion has been closed.