As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Playstation] thread will grant you three wishes

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Why are red dead redemption horses still the best videogame horses?

The "hold down X to canter alongside this person while they exposition" is seriously the best thing

As opposed to SOTC's "press X and he'll do whatever the fuck he wants"

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    If you played a bad guy in red dead redemption you got a bad guy horse.

It has a white face that looks like a skull.

My John Marston was a good guy though. Trying to live down his violent past.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Argo was an incredibly frustrating horse.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I would never expect Agro to appeal to everyone but personally I loved that they prioritized making the horse a character instead of a vehicle.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I want a polish monster hunter where I have to meticulously research and prepare but witcher does not really scratch that itch

Is Horizon close enough

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    re: red dead redemption and horsies

the worst feeling in videogames ever in the whole history of anything is charging headlong at a group of riders on your horse like john goddamn wayne, and as you shoulder your rifle and start picking off the line of banditos you get to a guy near the middle

and you accidentally put a .30 calibur rifle round right in the back of your own goddamn horse's dome

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    the best feeling in videogames is lassoing the anti-semite storekeeper in armadillo, dragging him out of town, then tying him to the railroad tracks and watching him get hit by a train

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I want a polish monster hunter where I have to meticulously research and prepare but witcher does not really scratch that itch

Is Horizon close enough

No

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Will never understand the Agro hate. You hold the button and point in a direction and he does almost all the work for you. Because he's an animal you see, you don't have to tell him to run around stuff.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    All parts of controlling Shadow of the Colossus are bad

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Huh, if you use a skin in Arkham Knight it looks like the default outfit doesn't take on that battle damage look if you switch back to it
    Shame, I always really liked watching the progression of Batman getting more and more beat up as the night goes on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    re: red dead redemption and horsies

the worst feeling in videogames ever in the whole history of anything is charging headlong at a group of riders on your horse like john goddamn wayne, and as you shoulder your rifle and start picking off the line of banditos you get to a guy near the middle

and you accidentally put a .30 calibur rifle round right in the back of your own goddamn horse's dome

@Usagi

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Huh, if you use a skin in Arkham Knight it looks like the default outfit doesn't take on that battle damage look if you switch back to it
    Shame, I always really liked watching the progression of Batman getting more and more beat up as the night goes on

Also apparently cutscenes are prerendered, so your skin does not carry over

(Minor Endgame spoiler)
    So now I just have to assume after he captured him, Scarecrow shaved Robin's head

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I've been seeing my equipped skin in cutscenes

• Options
    Actually maybe I'm forgetting what was a cutscene and what's in-engine
    I haven't hit one in a while I guess

• Options
    There aren't very many actual cutscenes

There's a couple at the start, one or two in the middle, and two long ones at the end

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    All parts of controlling Shadow of the Colossus are bad

I mean, obviously opinions and all that, but man that kinda blows my mind. Personally I found the game hyper intuitive and a joy to play. Just shows that there is no "right" way to make a game.

• Options
    I really hope TLG is more Ico than SOTC

It appears to be!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    There's two broad philosophies when making controls for a game

One is to make them so fluid and simple that you forget about the controller and you just kinda make stuff happen without thinking about it too hard. Most games fall in this category

And then there's the games that make the control scheme part of the experience, to the point that you have to understand the game on its terms and use the controls within the context presented to you, resulting in a possibly richer experience but also a steeper learning curve. Sotc, mgs2 and 3, and street fighter are games built with this idea in mind. The controls in a lot of these games are built to mimic the actions of the game in an abstract level, so you have to ease off the shoot button in metal gear to mimic releasing the hammer on the gun, and wander doesn't always move how you want him too because of the influence the big stomping Giants have on his motion

Neither way is really wrong, but if you prefer or at least are used to the first kind then the second kind is going to take a lot of adjustment in your mind frame

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah but that second way of doing it is bad.

SotC can be very aggravating when Wander or Aggro just kind of do their own thing, MGS has so many problems I don't even know where to start, and Street Fighter has inputs that require so much precision that some people physically can't do them.

If someone who would otherwise enjoy your game can't because of the weird, archaic controls, then you made bad controls.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    "Bad controls" is (usually) an incredibly subjective term.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Bad in your opinion.

SotC's controls, when you work with them instead of against them, allow for fluid, easy, natural control and allow you to succeed in difficult tasks on your first attempt, on the fly, with very little difficult input on the part of the player. MGS gives the player an insane level of control and flexible, while having its controls be thematically appropriate to the game which is just incredible.

I will say Street Fighter has sub-par controls, because part of its control scheme is arbitrary difficulty of input included for legacy reasons, but SFV is hopefully addressing that.

Nothing is archaic about the controls of SotC or MGS.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Veldrin wrote: »
    "Bad controls" is (usually) an incredibly subjective term.

It's a good thing they were making a subjective statement then!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    The First of Us prequel starring Sir Francis Drake.

Realtalk, I think The First of Us is a great sequel title if it ends on a hopeful note.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Why are red dead redemption horses still the best videogame horses?

My vote goes to Agro from Shadow of the Colossus

Yeah he was a good horse

Agro is a girl horse.

*Metroid theme*

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    One of my favourite parts of Arkham City was swooping across the entire map with my cape. Nothing about the Batmobile sounds better than doing that.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    that must be in the manga or something

it would certainly explain how fucking strong and durable hunters are though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

would you say that it's

unpolished

• Options

would you say that it's

unpolished

You need to Czech your pun quality

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

would you say that it's

unpolished

You need to Czech your pun quality

Let me just fast forward here...

https3A2F2F40.media.tumblr.com2F49d635d58d0aa86c1d2782c5ecedd2672Ftumblr_mrodipJHPS1rdm0boo1_500_zpsgyhq6fdu.png

• Options
    The like, level 4 grapple boost upgrade in AK is nuts
    I did it off the top of Wayne Tower and I got fucking vertigo

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I don't know, I'm pretty Hungary for more of these puns.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    These puns are so rotten there's Moldova them

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    You're just Serbing these up on a platter.

• Options
    I'm torn between two salads - this one has more cos lettuce, but the other one is Romania

• Options
    Wait, are these puns based on Balkans, Slavic nations or general Europe

If Ukraine your neck you can fit all three in

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wake up

Check forums

Throw phone out window

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    I tried a bit of witcher and I'm not feeling it. Is it the kind of game that takes awhile to bite or should I be on board from the start?

• Options
    Sorry Hitsuraptor, I can't see the pun in that

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    LITHUANIA

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
This discussion has been closed.