As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    This is just the beginning.
    (edit: little early for allcaps)

https://gfycat.com/SomeIllfatedAmethystgemclam
    https://gfycat.com/BlaringSomberGharial

Plus a little game closing Bicycle Kick action:
    https://gfycat.com/FortunateSimpleCockroach

Sceptre on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I feel like I need a teammate to advance anymore in 2's. My nights lately have been to win about 75% of my games where I'm matched against two random people, and lose 80% of my games against premades.

I'll get the occasional awesome teammate who passes and we win in a blowout, but at Challenger 3/Elite, it feels like I am hitting the upper tier of being able to drag people along with me to victory.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    More June Patch details, new Rocket Labs map.
    http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/05/1340/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    If you see me online don't hesitate to toss me an invite. I just love me some rocket league.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    More June Patch details, new Rocket Labs map.
    http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/05/1340/

Now we need some Tron(TM) themed cars with some Light cycle exhausts.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So I'm in Tempe for work right now, and there's a bar close by that has a setup where they have game consoles everywhere. Pretty sure I'll be heading down there after work for some Rocket League action with the XB1s they have set up. Shoot me an invite if anyone wants to play. I'm "Dook" on Xbox Live if anyone hasn't added me yet.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Sceptre wrote: »
    This is just the beginning.
    (edit: little early for allcaps)

https://gfycat.com/SomeIllfatedAmethystgemclam
    https://gfycat.com/BlaringSomberGharial

Plus a little game closing Bicycle Kick action:
    https://gfycat.com/FortunateSimpleCockroach

Those are some pretty sweet goals. Now we need to play together so you can carry me to victory.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    When you've had a long day and everything just comes together in that first match:
    aPE9Kec.png

• Options
    Daaaammmmnnnnn

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    You guessed it, more June Patch info! Season 2 is ending, season rewards, skill reset and more.
    http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/05/coming-soon-competitive-season-3-season-2-rewards/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I would pay for those trails.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    fuuuuck i barely played season 2, i didn't raise my shit above chellnger 1, i'm like division 4 in every category, hopefully that counts for bringing me up because holy god i do not enjoy the people i play with (my usual doubles partner is ranked shooting star or allstar)

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Well if you ever want to play with a challenger 2/3 scrub, hit me up.

• Options
    Had a game with Nailbunny and a friend of mine tonight where they accused me of smurfing. Makes me feel good since I'm actually just a prospect 2 div 5.
    I guess missing all those aerials shows off my mad skillz.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Less than a year after its July 2015 release, Psyonix's car soccer simulator Rocket League has managed to drum up over $110 million in revenue while selling more than 5 million copies across PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

"Our numbers are actually going up, not down," Psyonix exec Jeremy Dunham recently told Forbes. "Which is not very common for a game that's ten months old."

What especially intriguing is that those 5 million sales don't include the very large number of PlayStation Plus subscribers who were able to download Rocket League for free the month that it launched, which both drove a groundswell of interest in the game and did a number on its servers.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I logged in the other day for a couple games. I keep wondering, "How does Day[9] have a flag in RL but Penny Arcade doesn't? Like, why can't we pick between a Gabe flag or a Tycho flag or something?" These are the things that keep me up at night.

• Options
    They revealed the 2 new cars that will be exclusive to the Collectors Edition for a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypYbLc1yOqM

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Had some great fun last night playing with @CommunistCow. He totally scored a goal from the air guys!!

ALSO: figured I would do a little write up on this since I haven't really seen this info presented in other places, and it's pretty useful RL info.

Aerial Takeoff Tips

Aerials are hard. They take some practice to get the hang of, and even then they can be tricky. While the majority of the aerial normally takes place in the air, making clean contact often has more to do with your positioning and setup before you start flying at the ball.

There are three major aerial takeoff techniques you should know about, and each of them are useful at different times.

A "standard" aerial is most likely what you are already doing. You jump, tilt back, and then boost into the air as three separate actions. This should be the aerial you use most of the time, and should be the one you work on the most in Aerial training. It has the advantage of giving you the most accurate level of control, but it is not terribly useful for quickly gaining Vertical height.

The next type of aerial is very similar, but involves double jumping before you boost. You still have a lot of control over your car, but with added advantage of some extra vertical speed. This jump is most useful when you are directly beneath the ball, and often comes into play when you are goal tending. The trade off on this jump is that you have already committed to using your second jump, so you don't have any potential to flip or dodge into the ball. But if the ball was positioned in a place where you wanted to double jump at it, it's likely the cooldown on your second jump would already have expired by the time you got to the ball anyways.

Finally, my favorite take-off, I call "THE SUPER JUMP" (yes, in all caps). The technique is this. You Jump and Boost at the same time. Rather than separating your jump, tilt, boost into separate actions, you combine them all at once. For those of you who play with a 360 Controller, I execute this takeoff by mashing the Jump and Boost buttons at the same time with my thumb.

This jump throws you forward into the air really quickly which is both this jump's strength and weakness. You receive a violent boost forward in horizontal momentum, but shoot into the air like a missile. This jump is most useful in the opposite situation as the previously mentioned Double Jump. Good luck hitting the ball if it's above your car, you will likely blast too far forwards and whiff in embarrassing fashion. Instead, this jump is most ideal in situations where you are being contested in the air. Eventually you reach a point where people are much more confident contesting your aerials, and it becomes important not only to successfully hit the ball, but to make sure you hit the ball first. Furthermore, this jump has the advantage of leaving you the option of using your second flip/jump, allowing you to make some very precise and deadly strikes.

Advanced Shit:
    If the ball is very high in the air, yet far enough away that you can safely SUPER JUMP, you can actually combo in your second jump at takeoff to gain extra height. Mechanically, it looks like this:
    Jump+Boost at same time, release jump but continue boosting, tilt back slightly, quickly return your thumbstick to neutral position, jump again, then continue your tilt (make sure to be boosting throughout). If you mess up the timing of the tilt and the second jump it's very easy to accidentally do a backflip which looks hilarious and everyone will laugh. However, once you master this technique you will take to the skies extremely quickly and with a speed that lets you win mid-air challenges you would have otherwise lost.

Good luck, and happy flying!

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips last night and this writeup.

• Options
    Anyone gonna be playing tonight? I was thinking about jumping on for a while later once the kids are in bed.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I already have my sombrero. I'm good.

Now if I could get TF2 pyrovision I would be excited.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Add your tips to the first post, @Sceptre

Thanks!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Rocket League now has the honour of being my first ever Platinum trophy.

Mrs Rhesus and I will go several months without playing, then jump back in and play solidly for a week or so.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Excited to see what their reveal is on the 13th.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Tokyo is a den of sin and debauchery and dildos.

I approve :rotate:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I like that they removed the elevation change from the middle of the course. I'm assuming this is just based on the RL1 track that is in rocket lab.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Christ alive just played 7/10 of my 2v2 placement matches. Haven't won a single one >_<

Definitely time to take a break methinks...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just scored 4 of the 5 goals in a match

Shame the score was 3-2, but at least the majority of the goals were for my side

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

Shame the score was 3-2, but at least the majority of the goals were for my side

Doh! Hate it when I do that

• Options

Also known as "a normal match" for me. Without the scoring on the opponents goal part, and add in a pinch of "crippling defeat where all my teammates tell me how awful I am."

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I've just started doing 1v1 ranked matches when I don't have people I know (or PAers) to play with.
    It is a bit slower paced and forces you to get better at, you know, not whiffing the ball.
    >_>
    <_<

At this point in Prospect III it seems to be who ever whiffs the least wins.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    1vs1 Ranked is just way too intense for me. Whether I win or lose, I'm always a nervous wreck after them.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    1v1 is extremely frustrating, but it's taught me a lot of good things. Frankly I think the mode is too harsh on missing shots and overly dependent on how the toss-up goes and counters, but it's taught me to sometimes wait back and anticipate where the opponent will hit the ball to and go for the counter. In the beginning I just went straight to the ball, opponent would tick it past me or over me as I come near, and he's in a better position afterwards. In 1v1 you pull back when you miss a shot instead of following the ball needlessly. I also found it good to practice ball control at slow speeds. Tick it just out of position past another car.

But all in all, super frustrating. For 2v2 I need to get some of that anticipating patience back and work on my aerials, mostly.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    *shrug* At least in 1v1 I don't feel like I've let down the team when I whiff on a perfect cross.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    2 v 2 seems to be the sweet spot for me. Lots of room to maneuver and a teammate to back you up. It's overwhelming popularity in ranked makes me think I'm not alone.

Just counting the days until the rank reset. Recently started playing on PC (normally PS4/Xbox) and had a blast getting to work my way through the lower ranks again.

• Options
    I dunno, I hate playing with randos. I love playing 2v2 or 3v3 when with other people I know.

• Options
    When are they going to reset rankings for Season 3 again?

Steam | Twitch