As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    In Magic design, there are some cards that Wizards intentionally makes very good to give the colors options and to give the format better definition. They call these cards "pushed". Pushed cards are typically very obvious value (good mana cost to power/toughness ratios or effect). And normally, when Wizards reveals a new set they show the themes/mechanics of that set first. Then show cards that appeal to different demographics. Cards for multiplayer, cards for constructed, cards for draft, etc etc.

What's interesting about Blizzard's reveal for this set, at least to me, is that the only cards that really feel pushed are the mage cards, and the two sisters. Everything else seems to provide definitive value, but only after repeated hero power activations. Right now though, the game doesn't really revolve around using your hero power all that much unless you're playing handlock or face hunter.

It seems like we're missing something. Many of these cards and effects seem tailor made for a slower more grindy format, but so far, I haven't seen any cards really to push the metagame in that direction. One thought is that we just haven't gotten to those cards yet, and I think that's pretty reasonable. But another thought I had was what if there's a slew of nerfs coming and that's what's going to cause the big upheal to the format.

The second idea intrigues me a lot more than the first.

Roz on
  • Options
    thinking about it i think a very real purpose with this set is to slow down arena a bit

GvG made arena much faster and tempo focused, whereas in Classic you actually had a chance of winning if you had a bad turn

diluting the strong aggression of GvG cards with more slow options (and inspire is a very slow mechanic) helps arena diversity in the short term

This is a really interesting insight, and I think you might be onto something.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Question for ya'll dedicated players:

I played most of my Hearthstone when open beta was released, or shortly thereafter. Back then I was able to sustain 1-2 arena runs a day, and never play constructed, just through arena gold and quests. Since launch I've returned to the game a few times and never even gotten close to that.

Are consistently okay players still able to go infinite, or has the playerbase gotten too good on average? (basically, am I just trash now or has the playerbase just learned its essentials)

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I've been on a roll in arena lately, guys
    This deck probably shouldn't have gotten this far, even.
    zijnbLCA.png

It didn't quite go all the way due to some excruciatingly close losses...but the rewards!
    7YXnTz3o.png

(Not THOSE rewards.)
    MLY6cn6g.png

Bam!
    qtGZDy1B.png

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I played most of my Hearthstone when open beta was released, or shortly thereafter. Back then I was able to sustain 1-2 arena runs a day, and never play constructed, just through arena gold and quests. Since launch I've returned to the game a few times and never even gotten close to that.

Are consistently okay players still able to go infinite, or has the playerbase gotten too good on average? (basically, am I just trash now or has the playerbase just learned its essentials)

It's probably harder, but I think you can still do it.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    I just hit my personal best, rank 13. The absolutely crazy thing is I did it with a deck I made myself, with kind of a stupid mana curve. I'm a little sad my mech rogue deck I've researched and spent lots of dust on, and spent time learning how to play has not done as well.

I've always felt that deck building is how you actually get good. Forces you to be aware of what any given opponent is capable of, makes you consider viable options for dealing with those threats, and helps you understand exactly why a card gets run over another.

This is my first season outside of single digits (best ever is rank 2) and it's because I've just been dossing about in brawl and not learning how to deal with patron warrior and the meta around it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh what i like about the new warlock spell though is that it shows hearthstone is willing to give warlocks cards where they give your opponent a benefit instead of disadvantaging you

which are generally more playable, sometimes, so maybe we'll see more warlock constructed cards

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Myself, Sensational, and I believe RoyalyFlushed sustain ourselves primarily through Arena. It is possible to average between 7-9 wins and go infinite. If you're very good, you can do even better than that, I would assume.

For context, I am a true free-to-play player. It is possible to obtain all of the adventure modes and get pretty close to completing most sets, but you have to play often and do very well in Arena.

• Options
    oh what i like about the new warlock spell though is that it shows hearthstone is willing to give warlocks cards where they give your opponent a benefit instead of disadvantaging you

which are generally more playable, sometimes, so maybe we'll see more warlock constructed cards

People are so down on Fizzbang. I think he's going to be used. He takes a little bit of work, but he enables some pretty cool turns. Turn 10 - Drop molten for 0, Fizzbang, tap, play other card for zero, Taunt up molten and if other card is a creature, that one too. That's not bad, and handlock is perhaps best positioned to defend him once he's in play through taunts.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    You will all be changing your tune when they reveal this card:

MNRxwSs.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Impossible.

You can't put the giant mechanic on a demon.

admanb on
  • Options
    ice demons are undead, nerd

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Impossible.

You can't put the giant mechanic on a demon.

Like hell I can't.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    You guys seen this?
    yuWa4Vk.jpg

At last the answer to Huffer on an empty board we were all waiting for!

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I finally got golden Paladin.

Those last 100 wins were a slog.

Then I missed taking a screenshot qq

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    that is a bad wolfrider

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Why is that horseman the size of my monitor.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

MNRxwSs.png

You know, this is pretty cool. I really like it dover, and it has interesting combos with Arcane Golem and the new warlock card.

I also like how it's a subtle hoser against ramp druid.

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Why is that horseman the size of my monitor.

He is overcompensating.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I don't think we will see anything that capitalizes on how many crystals your opponent has, it's not like (aside from Felgard and some druid cards) they have any way to control their crystals.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »

Myself, Sensational, and I believe RoyalyFlushed sustain ourselves primarily through Arena. It is possible to average between 7-9 wins and go infinite. If you're very good, you can do even better than that, I would assume.

For context, I am a true free-to-play player. It is possible to obtain all of the adventure modes and get pretty close to completing most sets, but you have to play often and do very well in Arena.

Yup, for what its worth I've spent $3 on this game back in open beta when first getting started (and mostly for the golden Gelbin, even). The key to building gold is:
    1) Always, always, ALWAYS get your daily quests done before you max out on all three and start missing out on some.
    2) Play a lot of ladder. That 10g per 3 wins doesn't seem like much but it adds up, and if you play a ton its potentially 100 more gold daily. (You can also do this in casual or even tavern brawl if its active, but doing it in ranked is more likely to make you a better player.)
    3) Get good at arena. The primary goal is "just" 7 wins, since that gets you your gold back while adding more resources to your collection, but going 9+ can start netting you notable gains beyond just that. Its a delicate balance though, since doing a lot of arena will probably drain your resources rather than add to them if you're not doing very well.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »

MNRxwSs.png

You know, this is pretty cool. I really like it dover, and it has interesting combos with Arcane Golem and the new warlock card.

I also like how it's a subtle hoser against ramp druid.

That was the plan to create a specific face deck with Flame Imps and Leper Gnomes to apply early pressure. Then you add in Demonwrath for AoE clears (not bad if it hits Leper Gnomes) and Owls for big Taunts. Finish with Arcane Golems, Power Overwhelming, and Demonfuse or to pump the Ice Demon Knights. Add in the usual Zoo cards (Direwolf, Abusive Sargent, etc) and you could create a seriously good face deck with strong finishers.

Doubly effective against Ramping Druids. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Then you get force roared. WAH WAH

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    yuWa4Vkl.jpg
    aka downsized Argent Commander
    3 cost? ew

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So I made a paladin deck focused on divine shield minions. I guess it's similar to the bubble pally deck running around on the Internet, though I haven't looked it up to know for sure. It's doing really, really well. Blood Knights are fun to use and if you can go squire > minibot > blood knight you pretty much just win. Bonus points if you coin on the third turn to hand of protection an enemy minion for another shield to eat.

I'll post a deck list if anyone is curious.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That horse looks like he's underwater

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    yuWa4Vkl.jpg
    aka downsized Argent Commander
    3 cost? ew

I like it. It's basically deal 2 damage and play a 2/1, which messes with opponents tempo.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

I think its supposed to be a starlit sky but now I can't unsee this

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

That's because its a seahorse!

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I actually really like that card and I think it has potential in Face Hunter. One of the problems you can run into sometimes is that you only have pseudo-charge cards left in hand (Abusive/Glaivezooka) but your minions can't stick to the board to get use out of them so you have to pray for a charge draw. This is more difficult to remove, so while it does 1 less damage initially, it's more likely to survive until next turn. So if it lives to hit again you got 4 damage out of it instead of 3, and the chance to buff it for more damage. You can also do stuff like Argent Horserider + Glaivezooka to kill the first half of Belcher without losing a minion.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I feel like Demonfuse might be playable if warlock got a small demon (maybe a 2/2 for 2?) with "<CARD_NAME> has +x/+x if your opponent has more mana crystals than you."

If you really wanted to add ramp hate, make it +x/+x per excess mana crystal, though I don't know how you'd phrase that ability elegantly.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That would be really weird outside of ramp effects though. It would grow and shrink with each turn as people gained mana crystals and/or used the Coin.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Are we assuming the new cards appear tomorrow at the start of the new season? If so, I figured they'd reveal the entire set before that happened. Also didn't give a lot of time for pre-sells....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yilias wrote: »
    I actually really like that card and I think it has potential in Face Hunter. One of the problems you can run into sometimes is that you only have pseudo-charge cards left in hand (Abusive/Glaivezooka) but your minions can't stick to the board to get use out of them so you have to pray for a charge draw. This is more difficult to remove, so while it does 1 less damage initially, it's more likely to survive until next turn. So if it lives to hit again you got 4 damage out of it instead of 3, and the chance to buff it for more damage. You can also do stuff like Argent Horserider + Glaivezooka to kill the first half of Belcher without losing a minion.

yeah if it was 2 cost it'd be insane in face hunter and pally

Are we assuming the new cards appear tomorrow at the start of the new season? If so, I figured they'd reveal the entire set before that happened. Also didn't give a lot of time for pre-sells....

no, that would be a shock

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    That would be really weird outside of ramp effects though. It would grow and shrink with each turn as people gained mana crystals and/or used the Coin.

Yeah, if you were on coin it would be weak on your turn and strong on theirs. It would also heal itself over a turn cycle if it took damage.

You could also make it a battlecry, though that'd be tricky to setup outside of being on coin/playing against ramp.

teriferin#1625
  • Options

I think the set will be released in late August. I'm certain they'll give use plenty of warning before launch.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Argent Horserider.... probably won't see any play in Constructed. Feels like an Arena card, and a quite good one at that. Opponent plays e.g. Knife Juggler on 2. You play Argent Horserider on 3 and immediately trade out. Cool!

But it's not worth using in Constructed decks. You'd rather just play a hefty 3 drop. I don't think Aggro decks will want to run this either, as it feels a little slow for Aggro, perhaps. Well, more importantly, you'd have to remove something for this. And is that worth it? Ehhh.

Still, seems alright. Maybe.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Horserider is costed with the normal divine shield rules (bluegill warrior plus 1 mana), I think that's worth having in the game. Of course, it's becoming harder and harder to deny that Argent Commander and Sunwalker are overcosted, but I guess they really don't care about that. I think you're right that the goal of the set is to smooth out Arena, at least that makes showing us all these plain cards make sense.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    i saw someone describe argent horserider as like a harvest golem with charge

in that respect it's a decent card imo

• Options
    i would not expect the set until august 20th minimum

liEt3nH.png