As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - ITT: Gaslighting Jergarmar with snuggles and hugs.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Man, there's SO much info coming out of Gen Con about Kingdom Death: Monster. I am beside myself.

One guy ran the demo and while they were fighting the White Lion he drew this Hit Location card:

Fuzzy Groin
    You hit the lion right in the ding dong.

Truly , game of the century

I've read some stuff that's basically said it's a Monster Hunter boardgame. Which if true is bad for my bank account.

That's pretty much what it is. Except horror based instead of dinos.

But if you want it pre-order it now while you can still get it for a big big discount, it's only open through Gen Con.

I do want to.

I so very want to.

But it would never get played properly (as in an actual campaign people are invested in rather than one or two one off fights on odd occasions when I can browbeat some people into playing it with me).

Never :(

That and the massive miniatures construction burden it comes with.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I am reeeeeeeeeaaaally tempted. Might wait a day though and see if anymore impressions come out of Gencon, I love MH so don't mind a grind but not sure if I'd love it in a boardgame.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Man, there's SO much info coming out of Gen Con about Kingdom Death: Monster. I am beside myself.

One guy ran the demo and while they were fighting the White Lion he drew this Hit Location card:

Fuzzy Groin

I've read some stuff that's basically said it's a Monster Hunter boardgame. Which if true is bad for my bank account.

But if you want it pre-order it now while you can still get it for a big big discount, it's only open through Gen Con.

Man, I thought we talked about this. ;)

Yes, I do remember you specifically admitting your weakness to me and me deciding to twist that knife.
    Kingdom-Death-Monster-Contents.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Damnit. Gencon ran out of mysterium before my contact could get one. ah well. it will be out soon i think anyway.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Fuzzy Groin

I do want to.

I so very want to.

But it would never get played properly (as in an actual campaign people are invested in rather than one or two one off fights on odd occasions when I can browbeat some people into playing it with me).

Never :(

That and the massive miniatures construction burden it comes with.

Is IS playable solo if that's a thing you do.
    I am reeeeeeeeeaaaally tempted. Might wait a day though and see if anymore impressions come out of Gencon, I love MH so don't mind a grind but not sure if I'd love it in a boardgame.

There's some stuff over on BGG right now talking about the demo,. It's just combat tho, none of the civ building.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Picke up One Night Ultimate Werewolf yesterday. Hopefully I can use it to distract people whenever someone suggests playing Shadowhunters.

Also Extra Extra which I don't know much about but you like build a newspaper page I guess which is a cool theme.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    One night werewolf is fun.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    FFG is bringing Runebound AND Warhammer Quest AND Fury of Dracula back. So.

Edit oh wait warhammer is a card game, so maybe not quite as hype on that one.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Is that Siege Clan War L5R game entirely self contained?

Because my friends and I are just starting an L5R pnp game so that could be a fun game for us but I have zero desire to get into it if it has any CCG elements at all.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Is that Siege Clan War L5R game entirely self contained?

Because my friends and I are just starting an L5R pnp game so that could be a fun game for us but I have zero desire to get into it if it has any CCG elements at all.

100% stand-alone, although it does run on the CCG rules.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Just watching the Warhammer Quest card game rundown on the BGG stream. Sounds like the general feel of it is a boiled down, non-deckbuilder version of LotR LCG. Enemies go to staging (shadows), locations you have to explore/have effects, creatures have a defense and health value. Also it has dice in it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Just watching the Warhammer Quest card game rundown on the BGG stream. Sounds like the general feel of it is a boiled down, non-deckbuilder version of LotR LCG. Enemies go to staging (shadows), locations you have to explore/have effects, creatures have a defense and health value. Also it has dice in it.

Sounds like a Boo-urns from me then. Although I can certainly see the appeal.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    For the Kingdom Death people, I might be able to hook 1-2 PAers up with a good deal. I'll let people know.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Discoveries (the Lewis and Clark dice game) is really good. Was sold out, but I got a demo. Really interesting mechanism where you capture other people's dice, but then they are vulnerable and can be stolen back. It's on my short list.

Biggest surprise for me has been Open Sesame by Bauza. A cute little card game that involves memorizing an increasing sequence of cards until a player screws up.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I am not sold on the weird token flipping combat system for runebound 3e so far. Need more info badly.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Amazon is having their annual Gen Con board game sale, in case anyone is looking. Some highlights: Splendor and Castles of Burgundy for $20; 7 Wonders, Ascension, and Dominion Adventures for ~$25; Roll for the Galaxy, Five Tribes, and Tzolk'in for ~$35.

More details here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1410864/amazon-gencon-gold-box-sale-2015.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Welp, that means Splendor and Roll For the Galaxy are now on their way!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I grabbed Castles of Burgundy, then recently Samurai Spirit got added and I got that as well.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    For the Kingdom Death people, I might be able to hook 1-2 PAers up with a good deal. I'll let people know.

If it's the gencon promos I am way up for that.

• Options
    Whew, the SU&SD live podcast line goes around at least three corners.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Picked up Mage Wars: Arena, Pandemic Contagion, a couple of Neuroshima Hex addons and a half price copy of Panamax today. The joys of a few months of bonus pay finally arriving!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I broke and bought five tribes from amazon in sale. Been eyeing it for a long time.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Huh, apparently Paul got denied entry into the US for some reason.
    Also, the special might involve Quinns wearing leather.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    On his Twitter, he would t go into details, except to say it had something to do with the US's border policy or some such

• Options
    I am really really interested by this game The Grizzled. It's a coop card game set during WW1 and it looks really cool.

https://youtu.be/YPSer0mlh4Q

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Man, con Sunday's are always depressing. Never know what to do before I have to go back to boring normality.

Did get a couple games of Ashes in last night, though. Interesting, even though I got totally rolled both games.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, con Sunday's are always depressing. Never know what to do before I have to go back to boring normality.

Did get a couple games of Ashes in last night, though. Interesting, even though I got totally rolled both games.

Very true, which is why I stopped trying to squeeze in events on Sunday morning and usually grab an early breakfast and hit the road instead. The one thing about week-long conventions, however, is that by Saturday I've about had enough and am ready to head home. Fun is fun but there is only so much hotel air-conditioning and breakfast buffet I can stand.

That said, the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) start Tuesday morning at the Lancaster Host in Lancaster, PA. This is the final year for WBC at the Lancaster Host before it moves to the Seven Springs Resort outside Pittsburgh in 2016, so if you're in the neighborhood and have not tried it, now is your last chance. I will be there all week starting tomorrow evening and can usually be found in or near the GMT area.

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Another excellent round of Game of Thrones yesterday. I was Lannister again, and got lucky as an aggressive Stark player pulled Greyjoy's attention north and my wife, playing Tyrell, descended into her winecups, leaving the territory to the south to expand less aggressively than it otherwise might have. At five castles, six supply, and a maxed-out army I launched a two-pronged attack on the Reach and Highgarden; said attack proceeded to bounce right the fuck off of them. Then I lost Crackclaw Point to a Stark attack out of the Eyrie, which she'd been allowed to get because Baratheon was faffing about in Dorne. That was around turn 5 and was more or less my high-water mark, as Greyjoy sacked Lannisport and Baratheon snagged King's Landing for his seventh castle and the win.

5 players was definitely better than 4 in every way: even though Tyrell wasn't pressing hard against me and Baratheon, her presence there acted an anchor on our plans. Even though I lost, I felt like I played smart right up until my two-pronged attack on Tyrell. I had a pair of Knights in Stoney Sept to support my ring of forts along with a fleet in the Golden Sound, all of which conspired to keep Greyjoy from coming at me in Riverrun. I think my mistake was in committing to King's Landing and the attack against Tyrell in the Reach and Highgarden too early. If I'd held off for a turn or two, shuffled my troops around, and perhaps bid heavily on some of the influence tracks, I might have had a better go. As it stood, though, I grabbed a shitload of attention.

Still. Lots of fun. I still don't have a great grasp of Lannister's house cards. In most battles I felt like I had two hammers (Tywin and Gregor), a couple ho-hum cards (Jaime stands out as one I was neither happy nor sad to play), and a bunch that were looking to be played in situations that never cropped up. Kevan had to be the strongest contender for this one. On the one hand, his doubling of footman power should be awesome; unfortunately, every time I had a lot of footman to use it on, I also didn't dare play him because the bonus from doubling the footman didn't make up for the fact that Kevan himself only adds 1 to the combat score. I also misplayed Tyrion a few times, and never managed to set up a battle where I had such overwhelming force that I would dare play Cersei.

We had two first-timers, both of whom had a lot of fun and rattled off a list of their friends who would be interested, so hopefully we'll have a 6 player game in the near future.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    For Sunday Gen Con, I was always happy to hit up the convention floor one final time, as ALL the fire sales are occurring at that time. Also, the True Dungeon riddle reveal is Sunday, which is always a fun time if you are into True Dungeon.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, I ended up just wandering around and doing random demos. Picked up the Vs. box because I figure my FLGS crowd is all up on Marvel stuff. Looks neat. Amused at Deadpool's ability to attack the enemy player if nothing else is alive. Assume you auto-win if you KO them?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Just got home with Legendary Villains. Start sorting the cards. I have +46 extra cards and -58 cards that I need.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Just got home with Legendary Villains. Start sorting the cards. I have +46 extra cards and -58 cards that I need.

I believe that is a known issue mentioned before. Contact the publisher and they should correct that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

I believe that is a known issue mentioned before. Contact the publisher and they should correct that.

I already sent a detailed list to Upper Deck. Really wanted to spend Tuesday playing through a bunch of new content.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i played four games of Betrayal at House on the Hill yesterday

new favorite game

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Exploding Kittens is not really that fun. We will break it out again after drinking heavily.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I'm sure this gets said every year but Gen Con feels like it's gotten too big for its own good. The sheer amount of people was highly detrimental. I've only been 3 times but it's been 'worse' each time. I did still manage to get almost everything done on my list but I really enjoy wandering around and discovering new things, and that is just really difficult to do now.

And fucking cosplay needs to stay out of the vendor hall. It's bad enough as it is without people blocking the aisles for pictures, or plowing into everyone else with their oversize shit. I know it's a popular aspect but when your hobby is detrimental to others then it needs to be in an area where it won't be so intrusive.

• Options
    Broke out Splendor tonight to my parents and spouse. First time they ever asked to play again on a brand new game!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Exploding Kittens is not really that fun. We will break it out again after drinking heavily.

Did you really expect it to be?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I am really really interested by this game The Grizzled. It's a coop card game set during WW1 and it looks really cool.

The Grizzled is a fantastic game and the low price point is a steal.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    My friends got me a bunch of promos and stuff from Gen Con. In the end I think I ended up with more stuff then they did.

And now I have ANOTHER box of Krosmaster Season 3 figs to sell off for cheap along with a bunch of promos with it. <3