As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[KOTOR II] Gets a patch out of nowhere. Widescreen! Gamepad Support!

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
Introducing and updated KOTOR II for Mac, Linux, and Windows!!!

Aspyr in partnership with Disney/Lucas is proud to announce STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II - The Sith Lords™ is now available on Mac and LInux, along with a massive update to all 3 platforms.

New features include:

37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
Steam Cloud saves
Native widescreen resolution support
Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day

Oh...and we added a "Force Speed Effects" option in the menu ;)

Chime in here with your thoughts on the update! I will be starting seperate forums for both Technical Support and Workshop Mods shortly.

Why did we do this? Because we LOVE KOTOR 2. But lets all remember what love truly is...Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

So, yeah. Time to replay!

• Options
    The Restored Content mod got an update today as well
    * Restored Remote's SFX that was removed by the official 1.0b patch. After 10+ years; it's back! Poor guy!
    * Restored original dialogue to prologue, except for 'easter egg mode' users who get the spoken dialogue
    * Slightly modified pre-Malachor cutscene
    * Fixed reverted instances knowing about Goto in first Bao-Dur/Remote cutscene
    * First Bao-Dur/Remote cutscene now requires G0-T0 *or* HK-47, not both. This also means you can get the 3rd cutscene and following cutscenes (including the important one about G0-T0 and Remote) without building HK-47
    * Fixed Remote "complaining" sound sticking around when it should not
    * Fixed 2 civilians who were lacking their animations in the Telos Cantina
    * Benoks goons will now always properly leave the cantina
    * Various fixes for the Telos Academy:
    ** Fixed some unskippable lines during intro-dialogue
    ** Fixed inproper fadeout during intro that showed character jump
    ** Modified Atris entrance
    ** Fixed a few issues with handmaidens removing PC
    ** Modified Atris exit
    * Fixed small issue with door's windows not being see-through in the Coruscant sequence, hiding the PC and Masters until it was opened (Thanks to JCarter426 for the fix!)
    * Modified JJT Tunnel sequences if Mira joins the party
    * Fixed issue with leftover enemy in arena during ending cutscenes
    * Various fixes with the Mandalorian Battle Ring:
    ** You will now hear what your violation was before being banned from the Battle Ring for cheating twice
    ** Fixed auto-win against Kex due to victory flag not resetting after the Davrel battle
    ** Fixed "no item" rule being in effect for the Bralor fight for male PC's. Battle functioned properly already for females
    * Added 2 missing Sith to Vaklu palace sequence who triggered a small cutscene
    * Leaving Dantooine at the endgame cutscenes did not run for male players. Made them skippable in all cases
    * Added missing animation at start of Disciple cutscene (to match Visas scene)
    * Slightly improved Disciple warning Admiral cutscene
    * Added missing "lipsync" (eye flashing) for HK-Factory
    * Slightly improved 903MAL intro, fixed incorrect camera point for females, and the Elite Sith Assassin will now attack the Exile rather than ignore him/her

Additional fixes thanks to Danil-ch;
    * Wrong Atton animation fix post-Peragus cutscene
    * Fixed too fast walking Sion on Peragus and Malachor
    * Improved Handmaiden vs. sisters intro-cutscene
    * Fixed animation issue with Atris using Force Lightning on Handmaiden

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Well this is pleasing news. Time to play :+1:

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    What...what..what?! How is this even possible?

Holy shit snacks, I don't even know how to feel.

I guess I'll reinstall.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I think my laptop might be able to run this.

Still have Skyrim and Witcher 2 in the backlog.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Never played it, glad I waited :D I have it on Steam all ready to go.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Neat, Lucasarts finally fixes a game 11 years later.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

LucasArts?

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

LucasArts?

Right, even in death they are completely incompetent and irrelevant.
    My bad.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Wow, this is pretty awesome. Up until to now Disney's legacy on KOTOR 2 has been making it the longest named, most trademarked game on Steam. This will make it a lot easier to hop in and play.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

LucasArts?

Right, even in death they are completely incompetent and irrelevant.
    My bad.

I think his point was more that what exactly does the publisher have to do with the work of the developers, who were Obsidian, in this case.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So that Content Restoration mod...yay or nay for a first timer?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

I'd say go for it. It's not difficult to set-up and if its your first time, you ideally shouldn't even notice the impacts, since it just implements the extra story that was supposed to be in the game anyway. You don't have to worry about it adding needless depth to the combat or anything else that might make it less accessible

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    This is awesome! Does the original KOTOR have full screen and game pad support as well? I seem to remember it having neither the last time I tried to play it on steam.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I will have to give this a try over the weekend. I absolutely adored KOTOR 2 back in the day but last month I bought KOTOR 1 on steam sale and couldn't get it to run properly (for some reason, it kept locking me out of movement after every fight. I could quicksave and quickload after every battle, so I guess technically it was playable, but I don't have anywhere near that level of patience).

Hopefully 2, which I purchased at the same time but assumed would have the same problems and didn't even bother running, will not have this issue, or it will be fixed by the patch.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Oh wow. The KOTORs were really hard to get going in widescreen since you have to download a whole separate game exe from shady pirate sites that probably come with malware just to get the copy you bought running properly, so I just tended to avoid replaying them and grumble about it. So glad to hear this.

• Options

Absolutely, the mod makes it into the game it was almost meant to be.

• Options

Yay. KOTOR II is notoriously unfinished due to release time fuckery (the release date was first expanded, then set back to its original date and the dev didn't account for the possibility by feature priority). So even essential content is missing.

Be aware though that the patch basically just adds everything back in that was possible to add back in. So that means 2 things:

A: There's still some stuff missing, so the game can still feel a bit *unfinished*.

B: Stuff was added back in that may have been cut for other reasons like quality or pacing.

This is just a little warning though. It's definitly better with the patch than without (also because the patch fixes loads of bugs)

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    This is really cool. I wish more devs would give this treatment to some older games in need of some polishing up.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2015
    Frei wrote: »
    This is really cool. I wish more devs would give this treatment to some older games in need of some polishing up.
    The closest we have to this on any large scale is GOG which isn't quite the same but has updated older games to run on modern systems.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Let me ask the most important question...
    Do I get my lightsaber back from Atris?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Are there now autosaves as well? Because that'd be a handy feature.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    The controller support is pretty great. I was expecting them to mostly map the basics and leave all of the menu stuff mostly unchanged, but they added a whole new Y button menu that has a handy dandy quicksave right there, which really makes this game more convenient than most controller supported PC games that just don't have any quicksaving without the F5 key. I'd love to see more of this, as I'm playing mostly on an HTPC setup instead of the desk anymore.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    What is the reason for this madness? I mean it's awesome that it happened but I'd love to know the how and why.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    My guess? Same reason EA is throwing more money into swtor development lately.

New movies.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Did they fix its terrible ending?

Hahaha. But no I have to play this again now.

Edit: Did this game always have such randomized loot? I keep finding unexpected gear in unexpected places.

RT800 on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    IIRC this game had a severe case of Monty Haul. I remember my first playthrough, my consular was a frickin Jedi Jesus with something like 36 wis and that was without using the save game editor

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »

Edit: Did this game always have such randomized loot? I keep finding unexpected gear in unexpected places.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/139-whats-restored-in-tslrcm/

spoilers obviously.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    so I'm trying to download this and I'm not certain what to download. the update in july refers to 1.8.4, but the latest version I'm seeing is 1.8.4.5, yet the file date claims march 2015

EDIT: or do I just subscribe to it on Steam Workshop and let it do everything for me? (sorry, never used the workshop before)

VoodooV on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular

yes, but no need to bother with the droid planet (M4-7?) if that is still a separate install. Pretty boring and pointless story-wise if you ask me. But the Restoration mod itself is great though.

I just hope using a save game will get me some of those achievements; I actually just played this game about a month or so ago

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eupfhoria wrote: »

yes, but no need to bother with the droid planet (M4-7?) if that is still a separate install. Pretty boring and pointless story-wise if you ask me. But the Restoration mod itself is great though.

I just hope using a save game will get me some of those achievements; I actually just played this game about a month or so ago

The most recent standalone as well as the Steamworks versions have the droid planet.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

There's definitely always been an element of random loot in the game. When I played it, it always felt like there were a few different loot tables, which would be determined when the game was started. I could never say for sure though but it sure felt like it.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    This is awesome! Does the original KOTOR have full screen and game pad support as well? I seem to remember it having neither the last time I tried to play it on steam.

No you have to use key bindings and map to controller inputs. It's rough.

I still need to finish KOTOR (at this point I'll restart).

• Options
    I ran this really quickly (~5 minutes) and it doesn't seem to have the weird bug I had wit KOTOR! So that's wonderful! I'm really excited to play this game again.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    What is the reason for this madness? I mean it's awesome that it happened but I'd love to know the how and why.

presumably they saw stuff like baldur's gate making money via slightly-updated re-release and thought 'maybe we should get in on that'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Forgot how irritating combat is in this game.

My strength is freaking 18 and I still miss three fourths of the time.

Anyway, I hope they do this for KoTOR 1 as well.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Eupfhoria wrote: »

The most recent standalone as well as the Steamworks versions have the droid planet.

You probably mean the factory and not the planet.
    It's still seperate. (As it's not really *restored* in the sense of using pre-existing files)

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

presumably they saw stuff like baldur's gate making money via slightly-updated re-release and thought 'maybe we should get in on that'

The big Mac conversion company did the update, since there wasn't an OSX version. They also ported the update to Windows, allowing for a cross platform update on Steam.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Would it be terrible gauche of me to plug my own mod here? Content Pack: Feats and Powers is now ported to TSL and available on the workshop, and is still, as far as I know, the only mod to add new feats to the game.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Well, I managed to fix KOTOR 1. Now I have to decide if I want to play through it first to whet my appetite for 2. Granted, I could probably knock it out in this weekend....

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

I would say yay.

because I literally could not get through the first five minutes of the game without falling through the world or other terrible bugs that would prevent me from progressing, and installing that fixed it.