As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for Advice On a Family Car

2»

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nissan Maxima. It has a ton of room. 4 door, decent sized back seat. I had 2 full sized car seats in it with no problem. My son now uses a booster, but my daughter is still in the car seat. It also has a huge trunk. Seriously massive.

It also has almost 300 hp and great suspension. The CVT transmission can be driven as an automatic or manually shifted.

I bought my most recent one (second now) last January, a certified pre-owned 2010 with the premium package for around 18k from the dealership. I got 2.49% from the dealership (they matched what I was already pre-approved for, 800+ credit score) for 72 months as well as their full extended warranty. Payments are about $290 a month.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    and really, who cares, you aren't going to be sitting in the backseat.

my one concern with the cx-5 is the view out the back. i normally hate that big rear pillar and am used to a ton of visibility in my forester. guess i need to actually sit in one first

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    and really, who cares, you aren't going to be sitting in the backseat.

my one concern with the cx-5 is the view out the back. i normally hate that big rear pillar and am used to a ton of visibility in my forester. guess i need to actually sit in one first

That pillar is present in all the CUVs out there and something that my GF was really concerned with when moving from driving my old Ford Explorer Sport Trac which had really good visibility. It turns out once we went to test drive a bunch of CUVs that it wasn't an issue and it really doesn't block anything, whatever it is blocking is easier to see with your side mirrors than craning your head back 160 degrees.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    We got an 08 Rogue AWD when we lived up in the blue Ridge. It's comfortable, capable and gets decent mileage. It went through two extremely bad winters and never got stuck. Even when I was plowing snow up onto the hood with it.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well this weekend I'm going to a used car lot to get a look at a bunch of different cross overs. I'll report back on what I liked so you can all tell me its the worst.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I will say we have an Audi Q5 and a Mazda CX-9 for SUVs, the Audi is barely better then my Fiat Abarth in space once you stick a real stroller back there. The CX-9 is awesome for hauling stroller, car seat, four more adults plus the kid in the car seat. Drives better then my Audi (and has a better turning radius then my Fiat) in my opinion... the only real draw back is 16-20 mpg at best. If i only had one suv, it would be the CX-9 for the kid (the kid, extra passengers + the kid, and home depot runs are the main reason I keep it since I don't need two SUVs otherwise)... in the perfect world I would trade the Q5 and the CX-9 for a XC90 though I haven't checked it out in person.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well this weekend I'm going to a used car lot to get a look at a bunch of different cross overs. I'll report back on what I liked so you can all tell me its the worst.

You probably already know this, but just thought I'd add that the used car market has shifted in the past few years, in the sense that it is no longer a given that buying used will get you a better deal. A lot of this has to do with the internet, the economy, and people catching on to the idea that used cars with low mileage are a good value. But a good portion of it is also the fact that buying a new car generally gives you something like a 50,000 mile warranty, which ends up saving you a ton of money if you ever need your car serviced during that span. Considering that even simple maintenance can cost you a few thousand dollars even in the first 5 years, having to pay for it out of pocket can make up the difference, especially if you factor in the opportunity cost of having to have that money on hand to pay up when the bill comes due.

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Buying new is great if you can get in on the deals. With the financing deals etc I grabbed a new Kia Soul Plus for my wife recently for $16k out the door, no down payment at all, and a 1.9% interest rate. She loves the car, and Kia recently has been winning JD powers for reliability etc so take a lot of anecdotal evidence or stories about reliability for all manufacturers with a grain of salt.

I'm a fan of going to a lot of dealerships and driving every car in your price range that seems like you'd like it, you'd be surprised how some that you really think would be awesome just don't fit right at all.

Once you get a few you really like and have a great idea of which ones are definitely your favorites, do a little more research on real statistics or long term reviews of reliability, cost of ownership, value retention etc. Go from there.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Buying new is great if you can get in on the deals. With the financing deals etc I grabbed a new Kia Soul Plus for my wife recently for $16k out the door, no down payment at all, and a 1.9% interest rate. She loves the car, and Kia recently has been winning JD powers for reliability etc so take a lot of anecdotal evidence or stories about reliability for all manufacturers with a grain of salt.

I'm a fan of going to a lot of dealerships and driving every car in your price range that seems like you'd like it, you'd be surprised how some that you really think would be awesome just don't fit right at all.

Once you get a few you really like and have a great idea of which ones are definitely your favorites, do a little more research on real statistics or long term reviews of reliability, cost of ownership, value retention etc. Go from there.

And it's a good time of year for good deals. 2016s are showing up and dealerships need the space.
    Once you find a car you like, try hitting up TrueCar.com to get an idea of what other's have paid for that make/model.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I have a Forester, my wife has a CR-V. They're both nice. Forester is a little more nimble, CR-V has a few more well-thought out interior features.
    Use Truecar.com for a really good price on most new cars.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The current Subaru Outback is an excellent vehicle.

• Options
    So I uhh bought a newer car... 2013 Murano which was not on my radar until I test drove it. Technically a mid size suv...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Did you get a brown one? I always see brown Muranos...

I like the looks of them but never drove one before. Enjoy!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Kind of a steel color. What sold me on it was the v6. Like we drove the rogue, drove the cx 5, drove even a jeep Cherokee, but the Murano had the space with pick up and go. And the cost was under 20k. Sure it doesn't have all the blue tooth blah blah, but I've driven without a radio for like 7 years, and while that stuff is nice its unnecessary. And thank god I got rid of my car even with the repairs I could small exhaust inside the cabin while driving which is no Bueno.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Kind of a steel color. What sold me on it was the v6. Like we drove the rogue, drove the cx 5, drove even a jeep Cherokee, but the Murano had the space with pick up and go. And the cost was under 20k. Sure it doesn't have all the blue tooth blah blah, but I've driven without a radio for like 7 years, and while that stuff is nice its unnecessary. And thank god I got rid of my car even with the repairs I could small exhaust inside the cabin while driving which is no Bueno.

My wife has a Murano and we like it (I like my Maxima more, though). A 2013 should have bluetooth for your phone calls, which I highly recommend setting up. It should also have RCA audio inputs in the console, if I remember correctly, which will allow you to play music from your phone.

• Options
    Yeah it has both of those things.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Third day driving the car I get a tire pressure warning I swear to god if I have issues with tires on this like I did my honda I'm going to find all the teenagers in my neighborhood and kill them.

Coworker said it could simply be the car lot had them underinflated, I'll have to put some air in and then hopefully that will resolve it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Third day driving the car I get a tire pressure warning I swear to god if I have issues with tires on this like I did my honda I'm going to find all the teenagers in my neighborhood and kill them.

Coworker said it could simply be the car lot had them underinflated, I'll have to put some air in and then hopefully that will resolve it.

You should be able to see the individual pressures through your dash display.

• Options
    I'll check when I'm in the car, it just came up and spooked me this morning.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    it could also be a temperature thing
    or maybe you hit a nail already

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I swear to god if its a nail... on my previous car I had to change the tires like 3 times, and while I owned it for 12 years that seems excessive!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    well unless its a sidewall hit, you shouldn't need a new tire

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Well its not losing air, and nothing looks under inflated so most likely just a pressure difference.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Put some air in the tires, set it to the proper psi and the alert turned off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I swear to god if its a nail... on my previous car I had to change the tires like 3 times, and while I owned it for 12 years that seems excessive!

'Sup? I'm a technician by trade, and tyres have use by dates. Even if you don't put miles on them, they age. The rubber hardens as it ages, and you lose grip, ride quality, and heat absorption capabilities. Basically the older your tyres are, the worse they perform, the worse the ride gets, and the more likely you are to suffer a blowout.

Most manufacturers recommend a 4 - 5 year life, or replace when there is less than 2mm of tread depth left (in the summer time, in the winter you obviously need deeper tread grooves and sipes to help clear water). So three sets of tyres in 4 years isn't outlandish by any means. Especially if you put the average of 12,000-15,000 miles on them each year, they'd be worn out anyway.

• Options
    Err I should have mentioned that I changed the tires like 3 times in the last 7 years. Since I've lived at this condo. And I don't drive 12k a year around 10k. Still put some air in, sensor went off, and so far so good! Aside from my ahole neighbor who can't park in his god damn spot CURSE YOU MAN!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Did you end up using financing from the dealer or did you have a better deal going in from your financial institution of choice?

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    My CR-V gets the tire pressure light if the temperature changes drastically Preacher. I would imagine a Murano and most other cars do the same thing. It always freaks me out but just make sure they're properly inflated and you should be fine.

• Options
    You can convert your tires to use nitrogen to avoid temperature pressure changes.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    You can convert your tires to use nitrogen to avoid temperature pressure changes.

Or if you want to throw your money away to what basically amounts to a scam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Nitrogen obeys Pv=NRT, so no, not really.

Also bog-standard air is already 78% Nitrogen.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Did you end up using financing from the dealer or did you have a better deal going in from your financial institution of choice?

Dealer set up my financing through bank of america. So they basically mortgage brokered it, but my wife and I are like whitey whitersons with great credit living in the white capitol of saltine land, so we weren't too worried about getting financing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I put nitrogen in all my tires. Because fuck driving around on four oxygen bombs.

Seriously, just use regular air.

• Options
    Nah I only fill my tires with Monster Air. It prevents air surges from damaging the tires.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Monster Air is gold plated.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

And de-oxygenated!

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

And de-oxygenated!

I'll have to get a manager with a key to get it out of the display case.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

And de-oxygenated!

I'll have to get a manager with a key to get it out of the display case.

That'll be $100, please. Are you a member of our awards program?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Nah I only fill my tires with Monster Air. It prevents air surges from damaging the tires.

Post of the year.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

And now for a reply to this minus the cheek:

Inflating the tyres of a NASCAR or a Formula 1 car can make measurable improvements to their performance, because they are operating at a level which would basically instantly destroy a road-legal car tyre. It also means that the air used to inflate them is dry and easily transportable in a cylinder which is ALSO used to activate the chassis jacks! (no stuffing about with air compressors and air dryers).

For a family car? Or even a car that sees regular track days?

There is absolutely no reason to inflate your tyres with bottled nitrogen, it is a complete waste of time and money.