As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters International: Seattle 1984 - Walk in the Park (1st Case)

MatevMatev Cero MiedoRegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in Critical Failures
Somewhere near Seattle, August 1984. Exterior, night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JgvmilwNI

"Hey Lenny, that you out there?" Max stuck his head out of the cabin. The pair had been partners out in the park for only a week, but had already become good companions. Max found it odd that Lenny had gotten up the middle of the night and went straight out the door. It had been half an hour since he'd left, and Max was about to radio his partner's disappearance, that was when he saw the light in the trees. The moonlight was making it look almost blue. It pulsed a bit, it was almost soothing. Forgetting about the radio, Max stepped out and followed the light into the woods, mesmerized by the glow. As he walked along the forest floor, the light lead him along. When it went out, Max came to his senses, no idea where he was and no flashlight in hand. Panic set in, was he going crazy? He tried to get his bearings in the dark Cascade forest. He felt something jab into him. He heard a pebble clatter against the ground. He tried to see where it had come from. Then another, from another direction. Soon, the branches of the trees were shaking, and rocks were flying everywhere. Running to get away from what seemed to be an animal attack, Max dodged between trees and leaped bushes in a manner that belied his middle age. After a minute or so of this, his nightvision had managed to kick in just enough to save him from tumbling into the park's ravine. A loud growling coming from behind him, he turned around to face the beast.....!

There were no campers in the park that night to hear his screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

Welcome to Ghostbusters, the Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game! I will be your GhostMaster for this series of events. Before we get on with the show, here's the low-down Out of game (Out of game comments should be put into spoilers so as not to be confused with character interactions. This also includes hiding the dice rolls)
FAQS

Ghostbusters? Like the Movie?
Yup! This is a roleplaying game made by the venerable West End Games based on the movie Ghostbusters. It's based on their beloved system, and hasn't been really used for years, so we'll be telling you how to play. If you ever wanted to bust ghosts, stick it to government officials, or blow stuff up with a semi-legal nuclear device, this is the game for you!

Great, so how do we fit in?
Remember how in the movie Peter Venkman wanted to make money creating Ghostbusters franchises? No, well, he mentioned once in a throwaway, I'm certain you can go back and find it. Don't worry, we'll wait (How have you not seen Ghostbusters a Septillion times yet?) So, the idea is the Ghostbusters have indeed become a successful corporation after saving the world from Gozer the Destructor, licensing and renting their equipment to franchisees all across the country and the world! Anyone willing to sign the loan papers (And waivers, and wills) can start a local Ghostbusters franchise and trap spooks for a nominal fee. The only thing Ghostbusters International asks for in return is performing favors for the home office time to time. This could be inspecting an important case, or testing new equipment from R&D, or putting in an appearance at a city councilor's retirement party (Man, whoever was in charge of entertainment has poor taste!) Otherwise, you have free reign to be as successful or unsuccessful as you can in the cutting edge world of paranormal investigation and elimination.

So, how do we play?

Well, there's the big question. Let's break it down thusly.

The Rules (Abridged version)

Your character has 4 main stats. They are:

Brains - How booksmart your character is

Muscle - How Strong/Generally Athletic your character is

Moves - How Agile and Tricky your character is

Cool - How Smooth and Slick (Socially) your character is

Every character has at least 1 point in each of these stats. Starting out, you have 12 points with which to build your character. Each stat will need at least 1 point spent on it, giving you a total of 8 to customie your character. No character can start with more than 5 points in a stat to start.

Next up is talents. A talent is a specialization your character has in each stat. Examples are thusly:

Brains: Parapsychology, Accounting, Sports Facts

Muscle: Brawl, Swim, Rip Things Open

Moves: Drive, Shoot Weapon, Seduce

Cool: Bluff, Convince, Play Stock Market

Obviously, these examples are not total lists and can include many things. You must choose 1 talent for each of your character's skills. (Ghostmaster reserves the right to modify and/or veto talents prior to play) When you roll a test that your character's Talent applies to, you get an extra 3 dice for your dice pool (see tests below)

The only other stat you have to worry about are Brownie Points. Brownie Points are like XP, Fate, and Karma all rolled into one ooey, gooey, delicious package! You spend them to raise stats (A whopping 30 points!), each one you spend during play allows you to roll an extra die on tests! (more on that below!), or you can spend them to mitigate harm to yourself! (It doesn't feel good, but neither does collecting on death or dismemberment insurance....)

But what's that you say? How do you get more? How do you get them back if you're having a bad night? Well, glad you asked. There are 4 ways to get Brownie Points:

-Finish the job - Finishing a job (as defined by the Ghostmaster) will usually net you a lot of brownie points (Usually at least 1/2 of what spent on the job) and can even get you bonuses along with other intangibles. You're a ghost catching business, if you ain't catching ghosts, BPs is gonna be thin on the ground.
-Burn a Trait Point - This a drastic step, but useful if you have no other options. If you are out of brownie points and need some to escape peril, you may reduce one of your traits by 1 to gain 20 Brownie Points, which you may immeditely spend. Obviously, since it takes 30 points to raise a trait, this will cause a deficit if you do it too much. But it is an important rule to know when the time comes.
-Accomplish your Personal Goal - The last thing every character has is their Personal Goal in life. Whether it's Sex, Wealth, or Serving Mankind, your Ghostbuster wants something more out of life, and when they get it, it feels good. Once per job, if your character works measurably towards meeting their personal goal, they will receive at least 1 Ghost Die (See Tests below) worth of Brownie Points. Sometimes, if it takes awhile for you to succeed at working towards your goal, extra points will be in the offing.
-Amusing the Ghostmaster: Last but not least. We're all here to have fun. When there's good patter, people are being working-class heroes, and specters are getting zapped, generally I'm happy. But if you go above and beyond, and make me chuckle, or guffaw, or just marvel at your audacity, generally you can expect some brownie points back. (Either refunded after you spend them, or given if none are use for the check)

To summarize, your Ghostbuster should have the following stats

Brains - 1-5 (Talent)
Muscle - 1-5 (Talent)
Moves - 1-5 (Talent)
Cool - 1-5 (Talent)

Personal Goal:
Brownie Points: 20

Ok, I've got all my stuff together, what are the Ghost Die and Tests

Good questions. Tests are what you do when you do an action that is tougher than a normal, everyday thing to do (And some cases even less than that) To perform a test, you take the relevant trait, add your Talent if it applies, and spend as many brownie points as you want to add extra dice to the roll. (1:1, no tricks here! Brownie Points must be spent before rolling) The end number is the amount of d6 you roll. After rolling, you add up all the numbers of the die to get a total. If the total roll meets or exceeds the designated target number (usually between 5 and 30) you succeed at performing the action. One of the dice rolled each time must be the Ghost Die (Normally it's a special die, but since we're online, roll 1d6-1 as a separate roll). The Ghost die is an extra bit of chance. The normal numbers are added as normal to your totals during actions. However if the Ghost (0 in this case) comes up, then the die total counts for 0 and something untoward happens to you. If you succeed this could be a wrinkle in your cunning plan. If you fail this could be added insult to injury. The Ghost die can be rough, but a little improv never hurt sometimes.

For rolling, I would request the use of an online roller. I recommend our very own Infidel's Orokos Roller. Infidelia Orokos.

And that's it! That's all you need to know to play the game!

Otherwise, I'd like to have a crew of 3-5 players for this game, and have everyone be able to post every couple days at least (I know work and IRL can be intrusive, but generally we can summon up the time to at least throw in a reaction post) Everyone will get a chance to react before I move the action along. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Otherwise, I'll get the more-depth application up in the next post and you can start discussing concepts!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
Hail Hydra
Matev on

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Emerald City Busters Application

Name:

If hired, when would you be able start?

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof?

What will your availability be?

What would your preferred starting wage be?

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters?

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team?

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Ghostbuster_zpsjtsvsj1y.jpg

Name: Donna Petruzzo

If hired, when would you be able start? I dunno, Tuesday? I'm not a Monday person, if you catch my drift.

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof? I think so, sure.

What will your availability be? I got a thing next Friday. Actually most Fridays. So I guess every day but Friday. And maybe Saturday. Y'know what? Let's say Sun-Thurs.

What would your preferred starting wage be? As long as it's paid in cash, I'll take whatever.

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters? What is this, 20 questions? There was an ad in the paper, and I assumed you didn't background check.

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? ... *loudly chews bubblegum and stares from behind her sunglasses*

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? I can bowl a perfect game, what do you want to hear?

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it. Not really. I mean I have a couple tracks of lost time but, I mean, I doubt that was ghosts so much as the Jameson, if we're being honest.
    Played by Madonna
    Brains - 2 (I know a guy who knows a guy)
    Muscle - 2 (Dirty Fighting)
    Moves - 3 (Thievery)
    Cool - 5 (Flirting)

Personal Goal: Beer Money

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    gb2.jpg

Name: John Bishop

If hired, when would you be able start? Immediately.

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof? Yes I can provide my parole officer’s contact information if needed.

What will your availability be? I am willing to work all hours, travel out of the city or state may be difficult.

What would your preferred starting wage be? I am just returning to the workforce, please make an offer.

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters? There is a ghost car in Seattle and I want to catch it. I figured working as a Ghostbuster can help with that.

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? I shared a cell with Tony Three Toes. He used to scream in his sleep about aliens, but I never seen em.

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? I am a skilled driver and have experience driving at high speeds. I also have a working knowledge of locks.

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it.
    So I was in Belltown, all the bars had let out. I was walking down the street when I saw it, a 1970 Chevelle SS black as night. Seriously, the thing seemed to just absorb the light around it. The thing was cherry and I knew it would go for some serious cash so I tried to boost it. I couldn’t see in the windows, it was just black. I should have stopped then. Instead I popped the door open. As soon as the door opened I was sucked in and the door slammed behind me. It was cold inside, I could see my breath and this was august. The car takes off like a bat out of hell. I’m pushed into the seats its going so fast. Before I know it we’re on the I-5 and passing every other car like its standing still. The car pulls off the freeway and comes to a complete stop, like it had hit something. I remember going through the windshield. When I wake up the cops are around me and there is no sign the car was ever there. I’m cut all up, but no one ever found even the smallest glass shard.
    gb1.jpg
    Played by Michael Pare
    Brains - 2 (Car Mechanic)
    Muscle - 4 (Resilient)
    Moves - 4 (Driving)
    Cool - 2 (Looking Unphased)

Personal Goal: Find/Catch/Own the Ghost Car
    Brownie Points: 22

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    89C03J.gif
    Name:Kelan Spell

If hired, when would you be able start? Right now, if need be.

Are you legally able to work in the United States? I have a state certified birth certificate, which I’m 99.9% sure isn’t counterfeit.

What will your availability be? 24 hours 7 days a week. Minus Holidays, well...actually I'm probably available most Holidays also.

What would your preferred starting wage be? Our starting wage is negotiable?

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters? I recently lost my job as an assistant professor at UW because of an incident with a certain Adjunct Professor of History. During last summer vacation, they had taken a vacation to the more remote regions of Romania. When they returned, they were acting notably more peculiar. Obsessed with medieval torture devices and the like. To the point they were procuring said items for god knows what. I managed to deduce that he had been possessed by a 13th Century warlord with a penchant for impalement. I was able to remove the warlord from the professor, but through very unorthodox means. You may have read about it awhile back.

The professor had no memory of being possessed and awoke to find me hovering over him while he was chained to the bed. So, yeah kinda hard to find jobs….now. Thought maybe my talents may be appreciated here. Yeah…

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? Aliens, nah. I think they would have taken over by now if they did. As for the other phenomena you mention, I don’t believe they exist as they are labeled. I do believe they exist in some form, just not the form we prescribe it.

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? I have a degree in History from Cornell, I imagine that may come in handy. If we are in fact dealing with ghosts, they had to come from somewhere yeah?.I was also a boy scout for several years...which gave me skills that proved surprisingly useful against the spectre of a medieval warlord.

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it. Aside from the above mentioned incident, I have seen “Bloody Mary” several times in my lifetime. Ever since that one time at summer camp…

BKvxyQ.gif
    Played by Cillian Murphy
    Brains-3 (Deduce)
    Muscle-3 (Swinging)
    Moves-4 (Stealth)
    Cool-2 (Posturing)

Personal Goal: To publicly validate himself

may change things around a bit. specialty wise. if picking 80s icons/actors, may switch to Spader or Downey Jr
    will refine this a bit, just wanted to get it in since things are moving fast (.

Egos on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm definitely interested! If I can't get a character in in time I'll be just as interested in watching it unfold!

• Options
    KhDeA8d.jpg

Name: Daniel McClure

If hired, when would you be able start? As soon as possible! The sooner I can get a look at the equipment the better!

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof? Yup! And a few other countries!

What will your availability be? Uh, jeez, good question. As of right now, I'm free just about anytime. But if my mother's Peruvian expedition unearths anything, I could be gone for a couple of weeks, in the next month, maybe. Who knows!

What would your preferred starting wage be? Oh, right. Um. I genuinely hadn't considered that. Whatever you've got on hand, I guess?

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters? A chance to study the supernatural up close and on my own for the first time? How could I turn it down?

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? Yes! Well, not the Loch Ness monster, don't be ridiculous.

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? I come from a long line of ghost hunters! Of course, I personally haven't been as successful as my forefathers, but I've still traveled the world and learned a lot about local superstitions!

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it. More than I can count! I mean, not me personally. But my family has had tons, and I could tell you all about them! Like the occasion with my sister Melody discovering the ghost of a cat in an Egyptian tomb! Or my grandfather being haunted by the spirit of his deceased maid until he finally hired her sister!
    GxtHQmS.jpg
    Played by Charlie Day
    Brains - 4 (Para-anthropology)
    Muscle - 2 (Track and Field)
    Moves - 3 (Weapon Aiming)
    Cool - 3 (Wealthy Family)

Personal Goal: Be able to outbrag family

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I just wanna say it's great that y'all are choosing folks to "play" your characters. Also, we've got room for a couple more applicants, so c'mon down, get those resumes in and our friendly recruiters will give you a call back lickety split!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've considered jumping into the game but I I've been so dang busy lately it might be best to just spectate. Plus I can get a little over-indulgent with Ghostbusters stuff.

To anyone else yet to make a character: you need a skeptic/straight man. Someone to argue with the nutjobs. A Dana Scully, if you will.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I've considered jumping into the game but I I've been so dang busy lately it might be best to just spectate. Plus I can get a little over-indulgent with Ghostbusters stuff.

To anyone else yet to make a character: you need a skeptic/straight man. Someone to argue with the nutjobs. A Dana Scully, if you will.
    I'm kind of flip-flopping between two different backstories for my character at present--her being an ordinary club kid looking for beer money, or her being a promising science prodigy who had a breakdown and dropped out of school. So if no character ends up filling the skeptic role, I'll go with the former, and fill that role m'self.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

y8qp6lna8fed.jpg

Name:
    Augustus Brandhemmer

If hired, when would you be able start? Do I look like I got time to sit around? Let me get to work!

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof? Heck, I was born before them fancy birth certificates. But I yelled at that government blockhead enough last week that he gave me some papers anyway, so I'm just fine.

What will your availability be? I got nothin' better to do, or I wouldn't be here wasting both our times.

What would your preferred starting wage be? My first job was for a nickel a week (a penny more if I did a good job!). So... what? Five dollars a week should do me.

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters?
    When you get to be my age, what comes after looms pretty large in yer mind, you know? I got myself a will, life insurance and put little tags on all my stuff so the kids know who gets what... But I'll be knackered if I'm going to sit around waiting for Death to take me. I'm comin' for HIM!

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? I seen things that'll curl yer toes and whiten yer teeth! The stuff right there ain't the half of what's out there in the world... and I've survived all of it!

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? I know stuff ain't nobody alive knows now. Not even in yer fancy books or on yer even fancier microfilms.

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it. I get asked stuff like this a lot. I carry around 6 pages (double sided) of wisdom around just in case I get asked stuff like that. I'll staple it here for you to read. And a word to the wise- Lots of people start reading it and stop, mutterin' something about "incoherent rambling" and "crazy old geezer".... But them's real hard facts in there! You'll never read nothin' that's more important in yer short little life, by gum!
    Played by:
    Clint Eastwood

Brains - 5 (Old Timey knowledge)
    Muscle -1 (Watch out for the cane)
    Moves - 1 (Endearing to women- somehow)
    Cool - 5 (Yelling at people and things)

Personal Goal: Find out the secrets of the afterlife before actually going there

El Skid on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

kUAr5um.jpg?1

Name: Adrian Steinbrauner

If hired, when would you be able to start? When I am done moving into new apartment. Waiting on Krav Maga training dummy.

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof? Of course, I have green card. Going to become American citizen next year.

What will your availability be? If you pay enough I will quit my job and work every day for you!

What would your preferred starting wage be? Whatever pays more than delivering fish bait by truck cab. I am tired of this.

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters? To make my parents proud of me in America, also because I am huge fan of Ghostbusters! You are big back in Germany, like David Hasslehoff!

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? No, I believe that was done with mirrors. You pay enough, I will not ask questions.

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? Was winning member of Igolstadt University of Applied Sciences rowing team three years, also able to legally drive large motorcars and train in traditional German folk dance. Was thinking I could work on your proton packs? Experienced electrical engineer.

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it. One time, I see ghost of my sister's roomate's cousin's best friend. Very pretty. We talk for a while, then get drunk on peppermint schnapps. Maybe I saw the ghost after the schapps, but before the LSD.
    Played by:
    Kevin Sorbo

Brains - 2 (Electrical Repair)
    Muscle - 5 (Intimidate)
    Moves - 4 (Seduce)
    Cool - 1 (Charm)

Personal Goal: Sex.

If you don't have room for, keep him as reserves or an NPC. Thanks!

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

kUAr5um.jpg?1

Name: Adrian Steinbrauner

If hired, when would you be able to start? When I am done moving into new apartment. Waiting on Krav Maga training dummy.

Are you legally able to work in the United States? Can you provide proof? Of course, I have green card. Going to become American citizen next year.

What will your availability be? If you pay enough I will quit my job and work every day for you!

What would your preferred starting wage be? Whatever pays more than delivering fish bait by truck cab. I am tired of this.

Why do you want to work for Ghostbusters? To make my parents proud of me in America, also because I am huge fan of Ghostbusters! You are big back in Germany, like David Hasslehoff!

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis? No, I believe that was done with mirrors. You pay enough, I will not ask questions.

Do you have any special skills you'd bring to the team? Was winning member of Igolstadt University of Applied Sciences rowing team three years, also able to legally drive large motorcars and train in traditional German folk dance. Was thinking I could work on your proton packs? Experienced electrical engineer.

Have you had a paranormal experience? If so, tell us about it. One time, I see ghost of my sister's roomate's cousin's best friend. Very pretty. We talk for a while, then get drunk on peppermint schnapps. Maybe I saw the ghost after the schapps, but before the LSD.
    Played by:
    Kevin Sorbo

Brains - 2 (Electrical Repair)
    Muscle - 5 (Intimidate)
    Moves - 4 (Seduce)
    Cool - 1 (Charm)

Personal Goal: Sex.

If you don't have room for, keep him as reserves or an NPC. Thanks!
    Germanic Kevin Sorbo should be a fabulous addition to the team. That gives us 6 great busters so we'll get to the opening scene within the next couple days (which is perfect considering my weekend starts after work in about 2 hours!) so, next thing to determine is, does one of you want to step up and be the sucker franchise owner/starter? Or shall I gin up an NPC to take on that task?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I feel like being franchise owner would make some sense for my character, coming from a rich family and all

But if someone else wants it, I'd be happy not to be too

I mean to be honest I would be fine with it as an NPC

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    alright I'm done tinkering with my character, I promise. Sorry for flip-flopping!

• Options
    Considering he is has something to prove. I think Daniel as the owner makes great sense.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    That sounds good as a way to start things off.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So, Daniel McClure will be considered the Franchise owner. Should he wish to appoint any other company officers, per the franchise rules laid out by Ghostbusters International, he may do so.

Now, for the final thing before we get started. Location, location, location! Choose a place to base your offices out of. While your search has narrowed down these locations as some of the best ones to make your start, if you have other thoughts, you're welcome to voice them!

Options:

The Waterfront:

2.-snow-snow-snow-now-web-500x327.jpg?w=500&h=327

Pros:

-Quick access to downtown and the waterfront, including the ferry terminal
    -Prime location guaranteed to attract walk up clientele
    -Excellent view of Puget Sound

Cons:

-Traffic during normal business hours is problematic at best
    -Anybody can and will likely walk up
    -Rent will demand finding business quickly

Capitol Hill

19721101-0000-P40KF--321-15th-Ave-E--National-Bank-of-Commerce.jpg

Pros:

-No will look askance at your equipment, they've seen weirder
    -Proximity to Hospitals make for double ease of recuperation and source of income.
    -Access to downtown, half the traffic

Cons:

-Unseemly reputation for....alternative lifestyles (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    -Vibrant nightlife tonight, awful hangovers tomorrow
    -May not be taken seriously be either authorities or potential clients

South Seattle/The Duwamish

T117_06-23-1960_aerial.jpg

Pros:

-Best price per square foot you can get in the city
    -Access to the Sound without commute through the downtown core
    -No more 20 minutes from anywhere in the Sprawl on a good day

Cons:

-The Duwamish is a dump of toxic runoff that likely houses a whole clan from the Black Lagoon
    -Neighborhood resembles a demilitarized zone
    -It'll take 10-20 minutes to get into downtown proper on a good day

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I vote Capitol Hill. Despite past successes, the franchise is still unusual enough that it fits more comfortably in the public eye in a place with non-mainstream. While Ghostbusters RPG handles injury comedically, sometimes fighting those larger manifestations could use a quick trip to the hospital. And if the area's weird enough, maybe we could get Ray's Occult Books started as a minor chain on the side in the area to help with finding customers and getting information on the spirit world. And if noone bats an eye at our equipment, we can avoid the EPA easier.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Donna would vote for Capitol Hill as well, obviously. She's likely spending her off-time there anyway.

• Options
    Augustus would like capital hill as well, not that anyone cares what he thinks, dag nabbit

• Options
    Oh we get a say? Thought it was totally up to SirEtch.

Capitol Hill seems the most fitting to me as well.

• Options
    Heh, it's funny, Capitol Hill was my pick, too

It makes sense, since Daniel would want to put it somewhere kind of flashy

• Options
    Splendid, by unanimous decision even. I'll get an opening scene up once I'm off work in a few hours

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Apologies for the delay folks, deep in PAX prep this week, but let's jerk the curtain on this show!

September 1984:

Through some moderate depletion of his family's funds, (Who needs stock anyways) Daniel McClure managed to secure a lucrative Ghostbusters Licensing Fee. After paying for the Proton Packs, ECTO-1 Starter Kit, necessary signage and administrative overhead, He was left with merely $500 dollars to his name. Not to mention some unlicensed nuclear reactors, a half-painted hearse, and a nice two story on Pine just off Broadway. (If be nice you meant the place had obviously been a former garage and possible rumrunner hideout and upstairs was a campground for vagrants and who knows what else) His want ads in the Times and PI had netted him a few applicants, and he'd decided now was as good as any to bring them together, discuss how to drum up business, and figure out what do with the space he'd got. The team should have been arriving about......now.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    John Bishop’s day started promptly at noon when the living room shades were thrown open and sunlight came pouring in. The couch he was squatting on went from darkness to light so quickly that it pulled him from his dreams. There was minimal small talk with the light bringer; Amanda was the apartment owner’s current girlfriend and barely tolerated John’s presence. To make sure there wasn’t another confrontation like the day before John quickly cleaned up and headed out into the city.

John quickly found himself a cup of black coffee and a slightly bent Lucky Strike. Before he knew it he had walked down by the Lincoln Reservoir. It was still early but he recognized a few familiar faces. After catching up on the local word on the street he headed down Broadway to check out the new Headquarters. As he approached the two story he hesitated a moment. There was no doubt that this was weird and most likely some sort of scam. He thought about leaving, but he didn’t really have a lot of job prospects at the moment. He Threw his second cigarette of the day into one of the street gutters, took a deep breath, and walked into the building.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Donna's day began much like the last one ended--well, exactly like the last one ended, considering she'd been drinking at the same bar since last night. 930 AM found her sprawled out on a sofa, taking swigs from a tallboy, eyes hidden behind dark shades. During one particularly large swig, she caught a glimpse of her multicolored Swatch watch, sat up, and did an immediate spit-take.

"Aw, crap! I was supposed to be there an hour ago... Ehh, they've waited this long." She kicked her feet back up and knocked back another drink.

At around 1230, she finished her beer, and made a move to the restroom, where she promptly snuck out the side window and crawled down the fire escape. Even with her sunglasses, the combination of the noon sun and the creeping hangover were particularly blinding, and she covered her eyes as she made her way to the Ghostbusters headquarters.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Kelan Spell woke up to find himself somewhere on some patch of green near the waterfront by the Aquarium. He couldn’t quite remember how he got there. Last he remembered he had been watching a Universal Monster Marathon on pirated cable in his flat courtesy of his downstairs neighbor.

He was unsure why he was wearing a suit or why he had a bag from Bartells containing a Dracula mask, an assortment of alcoholic beverages and some mouthwash. Guess he was thinking ahead …with the mouthwash at least. He felt drunk and only assumed he looked like shit. He stood up and looked around, thankful that nobody was around aside from a few beggars, and tried his best to straighten the creases in his suit. After taking a swig from the mouthwash he had bought, he headed off in the direction of Pike’s Place- craving a bagel, croissant or something.

Once he had made his way to a small seemingly chic café with the obligatory French name. He ordered a croissant along with coffee with sugar and some dairy creamer. Kelan did his best to look composed, but surmised the girl taking his order took notice of his dissolved state. When it came time to pay the price, Kelan did his best not to make eye contact. Reaching into his wallet for the correct amount- he noticed an ad he had cut from the newspaper the other day for Ghostbusters. Something from the Classifieds for a “paranormal investigation agency”. One of those things that seemed popular ever since the 70s.

Kelan paid for his food and headed for a trolley. Hopefully he could eat his meal in peace , so at least he can enjoy something on what is likely to be a shitty day.

Egos on
  • Options
    and Egos single-handedly kills the game, or pax week?

• Options
    I don't want to speak too soon, lest I ruin the serendipity, but screw it

I really like the similarities in all of our entrances, how we're all just dragging ourselves to the building

• Options
    Sorry everyone, I've just been busy
    I'll sit down and hammer something out soon!

• Options
    Anybody? Bueller?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Daniel woke up on the floor of what was almost the headquarters for the Seattle Ghostbusters. He'd stayed over with the intent of fixing the place up, but it was quickly looking impossible. He'd barely been able to afford furnishing the place with the last of his start-up money, getting a cheap desk with a few chairs for the sake of interviews and a wardrobe to keep the uniforms and packs in.

As he got to his feet, he stumbled over to the wardrobe, making sure the packs were where he left them. Opening the door and finding them in their proper places, he went over to the one he'd picked out for himself. The packs had come with a manual, but the language was a few physics degrees over his head. So far he was pretty sure he knew how to turn it on.

Satisfied (for the time being), he stepped outside to ensure the signs he'd had installed were intact. Sure enough, there it was, and it looked like someone had only pelted it with bottles a couple of times in the night.

Daniel went back inside and sat down at the desk in the otherwise bare room, waiting for the applicants.

• Options
    John glanced around as he walked inside. The emptiness of the place was hard to overlook. The place was feeling more and more like a scam with every step. Like one of those stories that start out with "I walked into the crappy building" and end with "I woke up without a kidney." Finally he saw Daniel sitting behind the desk. He thought about turning around again but then he remembered that his days sleeping on Scott's couch were probably coming to an end.

"Hi, you should have recieved my application. The name's Bishop."

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Augustus woke up at 5 am, as usual. With the wife passed on and the kids gone, he went about his usual routine of getting up (which took a lot longer than you might think), taking a cold shower, and having a breakfast of toast and Brandy.

A few minutes later he was out of the house and walking towards his new workplace. He wasn't really sure about working again after being retired for so long, but anything was better than sitting around the house and drinking. Who knew, maybe he'd meet some of his old friends this way! Given the way most of his friends had abandoned him before passing on, he was rather looking forward to sticking em in a trap and storing em somewhere cramped.

Just so long as Ethel didn't show up. She spent enough time haunting his dreams at it was, and 48 years of marriage had been more than enough time to spend with the same person for one lifetime...

• Options
    Slouching, one hand stroking her temple, the other holding a 7-11 Big Gulp of coffee, Donna strolled into the room behind Bishop. She promptly stopped and straightened her posture, looking around at the layout of the room.

"This place looks familiar. Did they used to hold parties in here? Waitasec, who'd you buy this from? Was his name Hamhock!? Because THAT GUY OWES ME--"

The volume in her own voice seemed to cut Donna short in that instant, sending her hand right back to her temple.

"Sorry, it's been a, ah, late night. Anyway, that guy owes me $20, so if you see him, you get that money for me."

She leaned back against a wall, taking a long sip of coffee through her straw.

"Ugh, is there a sofa around here?"

• Options
    Daniel eyed his first arrival as he walked in. A potential employee! How exciting!

"Bishop, huh? Yeah, let me look!" He opened a drawer at the desk where he'd placed the applications. It wasn't hard to find Bishop's, since it was one of just a handful he'd received. "Ah-ha! Here it is. Ghost car, right-" he found himself cut off by a new arrival, yelling about someone owing her some money or something. "It's uh, funny you should mention it. There definitely isn't one!" He spread his arms as though encompassing the desk and its three chairs. "This is kind of it! Uh, what was your name again?"

• Options
    Taken aback by Daniel's enthusiasm, Donna put up her hand in front of her.

"Woah, okay. That's... chair's fine."

She slumped hard into the nearest chair, setting the Big Gulp next to her on the floor. After a long, contented sigh, she looked up, realizing Daniel was still staring at her.

"Donna Petruzzo. Reporting for duty, or whatever. We should get a sofa."

• Options
    "Let me see..." Daniel flipped through the applications. "Ah-ha! Here it is. I'll just add a note...'We should get a sofa'. Good thinking! Now we're just waiting on a few more before we can start, but I can answer questions in the meantime!"

He steeples his fingers and looks around excitedly. Two people already!

• Options
    Is the building basically similar to the movie one? or what kind of building. Want to introduce my character to the scene or close to it- but don't want to just pile on "everybody arrives at the same time for an interview!"

• Options
    Not quite a 1:1. The lower level is/was a garage, likely last in use circa 1956. Aside from the furniture Daniel's added and possibly your Ecto-1, there are dust and cobwebs in a lot of the place. Where that isn't present, the detritus of vagrants and teenagers is. The 2nd floor has some tenement accomodations, including that new running tap and water closet that was all the rage at the turn of the century! A true fixer upper for the discerning business man or woman and a steal at half the asking price.

Who it was a steal for remains to be answered.

Hail Hydra