Options

"Bad" Food Thread: A Whole Night of Self-Doubt, Regret and Food Baby

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    On the subject of movie popcorn, every time I go to concessions and overhear someone requesting popcorn with no butter or salt I can practically see the employees wishing for death to come take either the customer or themselves.

As a cinema naif I need this solecism explained to me. What is so bad about doing this?

Our theater just pops it in oil, and if you want to add butter and salt there's side spots for it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    On the subject of movie popcorn, every time I go to concessions and overhear someone requesting popcorn with no butter or salt I can practically see the employees wishing for death to come take either the customer or themselves.

As a cinema naif I need this solecism explained to me. What is so bad about doing this?

From what I remember from friends who worked concessions at theaters, they tend to make popcorn in large batches, applying salt evenly over the entire batch which is then kept in the popcorn machine to keep it warm until it's sold.

Someone who requests salt free popcorn is asking for an entirely new batch to be made especially for them. That requires the staff to find a place to put the already made and salted popcorn while making the salt free popcorn. It takes time and that tends to annoy anyone behind that person in line.
    Unfortunately the people behind them in line take out this frustration not on the customer making the special order but on the cashier. Generally speaking, it's a colossal pain in the ass for everyone involved just so a person can get tasteless popcorn.

see317 on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    At every theater I've ever been to, popcorn comes plain and they either ask if you want butter or there's a stand nearby with butter and salt.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean it comes "plain"

The stuff used to cook movie theater popcorn isn't like, normal oil or anything

You're already getting some butter and salt flavor to begin with, based on how they make the stuff

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    After my Taco Bell excursion I ended up getting a pint of americone dream, a 6 pack of guinness blonde (which is... interesting) and two packs of chocolate creme oreos (the milk came free!).

This is gonna be a pretty good vacation, as long as I don't look at the scale.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I had not realised how complex the politics of popcorn were these days.

I mean I thought it was pretty bad being chewed out for scorching the pan when I drunkenly made popcorn at 11 PM but now I see that's the least of it.

kind of want to make popcorn now

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    After my Taco Bell excursion I ended up getting a pint of americone dream, a 6 pack of guinness blonde (which is... interesting) and two packs of chocolate creme oreos (the milk came free!).

This is gonna be a pretty good vacation, as long as I don't look at the scale.

I know right. I gained 2lbs after my Taco Bell/KFC excursion!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Went to a friend's housewarming party yesterday, and he was like, "Try this key lime pie Oreo, it's disgusting." And it was super good! So he gave me the whole package.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been meaning to make caramel corn for a while now. gotta try out this candy thermometer... yeah, that's it... that's the reason.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Denny's makes 'peace burger' offer to Burger King after McDonald's blow off
    USA Today wrote:
    McDonald's wasn't lovin' it, but the fast casual restaurant chain Denny's is game for making a "peace burger" with Burger King. In a full-page ads in USA TODAY and The New York Times, Denny's says it wants to collaborate with Burger King to make a mashup burger with the fast-food chain, inserting itself in the Burger King-McDonald's advertising battle.

No comment so far from Burger King.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    A shrewd maneuver from Dennys Targaryen in this Game of Burgs

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Next, House Krystal will form an alliance with the White Castle.

No one will be able to tell a difference.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

From what I remember from friends who worked concessions at theaters, they tend to make popcorn in large batches, applying salt evenly over the entire batch which is then kept in the popcorn machine to keep it warm until it's sold.

Someone who requests salt free popcorn is asking for an entirely new batch to be made especially for them. That requires the staff to find a place to put the already made and salted popcorn while making the salt free popcorn. It takes time and that tends to annoy anyone behind that person in line.
    Unfortunately the people behind them in line take out this frustration not on the customer making the special order but on the cashier. Generally speaking, it's a colossal pain in the ass for everyone involved just so a person can get tasteless popcorn.

Oh it's not tasteless, they add their own salt. They just want fresh popcorn and think they've learned a way to "trick" the concessions people.

source: worked fast food where lots of folks ask for fries with no salt.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    French fries and popcorn are better when fresh.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Oh it's not tasteless, they add their own salt. They just want fresh popcorn and think they've learned a way to "trick" the concessions people.

Thankfully, when I worked at McDonalds it really wasn't a hassle whenever anyone asked for "fresh" anything. The counter staff would just tell them to stand back out of the way and wait for their order, and we'd make it when we got around to it. Nuggets only took 3:30 in the deep fryer, but if we were in the middle of a rush, you might just end up waiting until the UHC ran out and we cooked up a fresh batch anyway.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Also, tonight I am having pizza for dinner. Cheap delivery pizza, not the good stuff.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Nothing like driving to a donut shop at 2 in a Tuesday morning to eat a donut shaped like a dick. God bless Colorado.

RcYJT.jpg

• Options

No, I just don't like salt.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I deboned a couple of chicken thighs yesterday (hard work but worth it), have it soaked in a soy-saltwater brine and later today I will batter them, fry them and then throw them in a pan with some jerk BBQ/ketchup mix and have myself some quality fried chicken.

I'm very excited.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

No, I just don't like salt.

There's also a lot of people with heart disease who need to keep their sodium levels down.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Good morning bad food thread

Last week my roommate made a really good batch of risotto, which is not bad food at all

But there was a lot of leftovers

So last night I chopped up a block of smoked mozzarella into little pieces and put them in the center of balls of this leftover risotto and breaded those balls and fried them

And they were delicious

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong some people genuinely can't have a lot/any salt on stuff, and also by around 1:30p most salt shakers are so jacked up that they basically pour like a pint of salt on the fries because the salt dispenser is too complicated to use (hint: you turn it upside down, that dispenses the salt, then you turn it back right side up, that loads the next serving of salt).

But work in food service long enough and you can tell the people who ask for something special because they have dietary reasons, and those who are just snobs who honestly why the fuck are you even eating here what is wrong with you you're such a snob

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Last week my roommate made a really good batch of risotto, which is not bad food at all

So last night I chopped up a block of smoked mozzarella into little pieces and put them in the center of balls of this leftover risotto and breaded those balls and fried them

And they were delicious

where's the bad food part?

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

And they were delicious

The quart of oil that is still sitting on my stove

• Options
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong some people genuinely can't have a lot/any salt on stuff, and also by around 1:30p most salt shakers are so jacked up that they basically pour like a pint of salt on the fries because the salt dispenser is too complicated to use (hint: you turn it upside down, that dispenses the salt, then you turn it back right side up, that loads the next serving of salt).

But work in food service long enough and you can tell the people who ask for something special because they have dietary reasons, and those who are just snobs who honestly why the fuck are you even eating here what is wrong with you you're such a snob

Hey hey whoa slow your roll pal. Some people are both.

• Options
    Like I had a friend who had to order his burgers without cheese or sauce for "dietary" reasons. Couldn't have any cheese on his burgers! He even bitched at me for making scalloped potatoes for Thanksgiving with the ham.

But he can have pizza no problem. Dietary reasons and a shitbutt snob.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

And they were delicious

sounds like you need to find more things to put in the oil

• Options

And they were delicious

I'm not going to do a repeat of Hannukah 2013

• Options

And they were delicious

I'm not going to do a repeat of Hannukah 2013

Have the scars healed? And what did you end up doing with the polar bear?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Humm.. almost lunch time. My usual choices:

Pizza by the slice that does it pretty well.
    Personal pizza place that does a custom fire baked pizza
    "Cajun" (but actually chinese) chicken and fried rice.
    Jimmy Johns or subway
    PotBelly sandwich
    J Gumbos
    Charlies grilled subs.

Or i could go look at boobies at the tilted kilt across the street.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Tried to make pizza on the grill this week. Every damn time I try this, I end up charring the underside of the crust completely black before the cheese melts. I was only able to salvage two of them by grilling the crust and then putting the topped crust into the oven to broil just the top.

I'm really not sure what's the right way to do this. Maybe top the crust before pitting it on the grill in the first place? Trying to shield the crust with foil didn't work out so good.

• Options
    Man, every time I get dragged into a Twin Peaks or Tilted Kilt I always feel like a creep. Something about knowing a manager who has a daughter who works at a similar place that he frequents to and drags his employees to go ogle at hist scantily clad daughter.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Tried to make pizza on the grill this week. Every damn time I try this, I end up charring the underside of the crust completely black before the cheese melts. I was only able to salvage two of them by grilling the crust and then putting the topped crust into the oven to broil just the top.

I'm really not sure what's the right way to do this. Maybe top the crust before pitting it on the grill in the first place? Trying to shield the crust with foil didn't work out so good.

... Grilled pizza? I am confused. baked on an open fire still uses a stone i would think.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Grill one side for about a minute, rotating every fifteen seconds, flip it and move it to the cool side of the grill, quickly place toppings on the grilled side of the dough, cover the grill for 30 seconds or so to melt the cheese, slide it back to the hot side, rotating again every fifteen seconds until you've achieved doneness.

also, make sure you've brushed it with oil.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »

Grill one side for about a minute, rotating every fifteen seconds, flip it and move it to the cool side of the grill, quickly place toppings on the grilled side of the dough, cover the grill for 30 seconds or so to melt the cheese, slide it back to the hot side, rotating again every fifteen seconds until you've achieved doneness.

Got it. So in this case I need to make sure the coals are not distributed evenly, so there are cooler areas where I can melt the toppings without charring the crust.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time I try this.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Grilling is all about heat management

• Options

Got it. So in this case I need to make sure the coals are not distributed evenly, so there are cooler areas where I can melt the toppings without charring the crust.

You generally want to set your grill up with two zones; one for direct heat, and another for indirect heat;

Grilled-Prime-Rib-029.jpg

That way if things start to get too done, you can move them away from the heat.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Why? is it so you can get a smoky taste? Wouldn't a smoker be easier to use?

• Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

You generally want to set your grill up with two zones; one for direct heat, and another for indirect heat;

Good to know.

Making it painfully obvious that I'm new at this, but whatever. It's all learning.

• Options
    Why? is it so you can get a smoky taste? Wouldn't a smoker be easier to use?

For things like a steak, you'd want to grill directly over the coals until you've got a good crust (and grill marks if you like those), then move away from the coals so the steaks cook through without getting burned on the outside.
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Good to know.

Making it painfully obvious that I'm new at this, but whatever. It's all learning.

My favorite online resource for barbecue and grilling is http://amazingribs.com/

kyrcl.png
This discussion has been closed.