As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I can't remember if anyone else recommended this or not, but dying light by VOID OMNIA is worth a listen for bm fans. It also has fantastic cover art: https://vendetta-records.bandcamp.com/album/dying-light

a3120700294_16.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nude oblobisnarficus

edit: whoops

thought i posted after autothrall's last thingy

i'll just... whatever

i'll leave this here with no context fuck it

void omnia is awesome by the way do you see that shit up there you should buy it do it right now

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    More on the hardcore/djent variety, but I finally got around to Architects All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us.

It's quite a capable and aggressive little album so far, actually a bit more energetic, raw, and nasty than their last release.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    nude oblobisnarficus

edit: whoops

thought i posted after autothrall's last thingy

i'll just... whatever

i'll leave this here with no context fuck it

void omnia is awesome by the way do you see that shit up there you should buy it do it right now

That art is dope. Reminds me of an Inquisition album, and that is not a bad thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm spoiled by Brutal Doom. Is the new Doom actually good?

Jesus tap dancing hula hoop christ yes.

I mean, if old school gameplay, nearly perfect shooting mechanics, buckets of gore, a silent protagonist that is a direct result of what the Doom community has made him over the years, spectacular boss battles, and phenomenal visuals and music are something youd want to play, rewarding a berserk-style of "in the mix" shooting instead of popping your head out of cover and taking popshots, then sure.

Its rul fucking good man.

Its brilliant. I like to interpret NuDoom as what would happen if Bloodborne was an FPS (don't worry its not as difficult.)

Doomguy is lightning fast, weapons don't need to reload, and trading hits is unacceptable. His enemies are fast and hit hard in turn. All enemies are all major threats. Even the most basic demon, the Imp, is a sight to behold the way it jukes while throwing a fireball that leads your movement.

I don't like its hell as much as Doom 3. Doom 3's hell was, well, nowhere. A vast void with brilliant rocky nebulae. NuDoom's hell is more grounded, looking like a wasteland with a Frank Frazetta sky, only Frazetta had a broader color pallate.

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3zkxvSBkR1qc5dpuo3_r1_400.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm spoiled by Brutal Doom. Is the new Doom actually good?

Jesus tap dancing hula hoop christ yes.

I mean, if old school gameplay, nearly perfect shooting mechanics, buckets of gore, a silent protagonist that is a direct result of what the Doom community has made him over the years, spectacular boss battles, and phenomenal visuals and music are something youd want to play, rewarding a berserk-style of "in the mix" shooting instead of popping your head out of cover and taking popshots, then sure.

Its rul fucking good man.

Its brilliant. I like to interpret NuDoom as what would happen if Bloodborne was an FPS (don't worry its not as difficult.)

Doomguy is lightning fast, weapons don't need to reload, and trading hits is unacceptable. His enemies are fast and hit hard in turn. All enemies are all major threats. Even the most basic demon, the Imp, is a sight to behold the way it jukes while throwing a fireball that leads your movement.

I don't like its hell as much as Doom 3. Doom 3's hell was, well, nowhere. A vast void with brilliant rocky nebulae. NuDoom's hell is more grounded, looking like a wasteland with a Frank Frazetta sky, only Frazetta had a broader color pallate.

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I really loved that they got rid of the piss-yellow filter and allowed the demons to have some color.

I'd say the color palette is pretty damn close to the original game.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgdgEKnXlo

just leaving that here on the counter

so yeah doom is super fucking good

there is an incredibly visceral sense of bloodthirsty satisfaction that gets triggered whenever you do stuff in that game and doom stimulates this demonic imp clitoris with a sharp, savagely bladed finger

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    That Hyperion album is solid for people longing for the days of Dissection in their prime, Sacramentum, etc.

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that Hyperion has been getting a nice share of total playtime for me.

However, and despite a largish volume of high quality competition so far, the top playtime for 2016 for me is actually Primal Fear's Rulebreaker.

Because I love you Heshers, have this Deluxe Edition full album playlist 'tube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxMEMQVgkg&list=PLktSdWPMqfXq66fYUweQ2qoslKnCzrYKW

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Rulebreaker is on my RYM Top 100 list for 2016, at least for now. Good fun stuff.

Also, this new Hammers of Misfortune album is THE BEEZ KNEEZ dudes. So good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYQvQ8bKcc

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Whoa! That's fucking crazy!

Next buy found.

Edit: Also, thanks for discussing the nuDoom, @jungleroomx, @Cantido, @Liquid Ghost and @LoveIsUnity. I can't wait to make my kids jealous when I get it and make them wait a few weeks before they get a turn.

The last shooter I got into was Mass Effect 3 (mainly Multi-player).

I started playing again about a year ago and, somehow, public matches are still a thing. I'm not complaining as I seriously can't see myself getting tired of that game. Hell, I still play the original X-Com and I had the original when it came out for DOS. Same for X-Wing.

Edit x2: holy shit I'm old

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    New Witherscape album is also pretty good, some of Dan's best stuff since his Moontower solo album, and will kind of appeal to folks who like that (or the first Witherscape).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYC0MWb3aFo

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    New Witherscape album is also pretty good, some of Dan's best stuff since his Moontower solo album, and will kind of appeal to folks who like that (or the first Witherscape).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYC0MWb3aFo

Getting mine tomorrow. Been a fan of his stuff since Crimson 20 years ago, which also indirectly led to discovering Opeth since Mikael Åkerfeldt does some pretty good vocals on that album.

• Options
    Yeah, this Architects is a great car banger. If youve got a decent system this albums kick drum will put a hole in your chest. Solid 7.5/8 out of 10.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I was under the impression Architects were pretty middle-of-the-road metalcore, but I'll check this one out. :)

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    The album's got some good breakdowns. I'm generally a fan of metalcore, so I always give the new Architect albums a listen.

On a less positive note, I'm fairly disappointed by Periphery's new offering. Maybe I'm just not really in the mood for them after hearing some of the fantastic albums that have come out this year, even within the Djent 'scene'.

I'm really looking forward to Uneven Structure's La Partition if it ever comes out. It's been pretty quiet from them since they put out the first single:

https://youtu.be/VUqeYEN6ca4

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Ok that Witherscape track grew on me overnight.

• Options
    Been jamming a lot of Hollenthon and Blackguard this morning. I spent some time researching Destroy Destroy Destroy and wondered what had happened to them after they released Battle Sluts. They seem to have evaporated entirely, much like all of my other guilty pleasures that aren't Larkin Love and Skin Diamond.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Panda4You wrote: »
    I was under the impression Architects were pretty middle-of-the-road metalcore, but I'll check this one out. :)

I mean, its solid but unspectacular. Ive always felt their singers voice was unique and their stuff is just meat-and-potatoes metalcore, but lean and without a bunch of unnecessary shit. I dig it.

That production, tho...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    As Ive been really ramping up my bass playing, Ive been trying to figure out the Architects tuning for a few days. So... I just gave up and looked it up.

Interestingly, for a five stringer bass, the tuning is F# F# C G G#, or tuning the top 4 strings up half a step and then just dropping the ass out of the bottom string.

I dont know of too many bands who use odd tunings but I enjoy playing them. Any other slingers know of some bands out there that fall out of the standard/drop d or a tunings?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Whoa! That's fucking crazy!

Next buy found.

Edit: Also, thanks for discussing the nuDoom, @jungleroomx, @Cantido, @Liquid Ghost and @LoveIsUnity. I can't wait to make my kids jealous when I get it and make them wait a few weeks before they get a turn.

The last shooter I got into was Mass Effect 3 (mainly Multi-player).

I started playing again about a year ago and, somehow, public matches are still a thing. I'm not complaining as I seriously can't see myself getting tired of that game. Hell, I still play the original X-Com and I had the original when it came out for DOS. Same for X-Wing.

Edit x2: holy shit I'm old

Oh, and one more thing about nuDoom.

At the end of each mission, you have the option to Save and Exit. I recommend you take that suggestion because nuDoom requires very high attention, and I found myself needing that break to rest my eyes and possibly use artificial tears.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    As Ive been really ramping up my bass playing, Ive been trying to figure out the Architects tuning for a few days. So... I just gave up and looked it up.

Interestingly, for a five stringer bass, the tuning is F# F# C G G#, or tuning the top 4 strings up half a step and then just dropping the ass out of the bottom string.

I dont know of too many bands who use odd tunings but I enjoy playing them. Any other slingers know of some bands out there that fall out of the standard/drop d or a tunings?

My brother says Vektor plays their guitars a half step UP, and while I haven't verified that, it certainly explains part of their sound.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Found these guys via the No Clean Singing blog (which you all should check out, really good for finding new upcoming bands). Départe's single Vessel comes across as a mish-mash of Anaal Nathrakh and Ulcerate, with delicious post rock style tremelo picking mixing in with a lightning fast industrial style rhythm section, with some convincing clean vocals thrown into the mix to contrast against the harshness of the rest of the mix.

New album drops in October, very interested to see what the rest of it sounds like.

https://youtu.be/BSYxveAbckE

Campy on
  • Options
    Finally got my copy of the new Witherscape today. UPS was apparently too lazy to deliver it to my apartment door like I had specified via their UPS Choice service and delivered it to the apartment office on Friday. By the time I went to the office, they had closed for the day. I was kind of pissed off, but since it was Amazon I had access to the album thanks to that AutoRip service. It really grew on me after a few listens. Definitely reminds me a lot more of his Moontower album than the previous Witherscape releases.

Also:

• Options
    Here are my metal picks for new things I've come across over the past month of July! Not a huge crop this time but what is here is pretty excellent. New ColdWorld was close but no cigar.

Ancestors Blood Hyperborea. Great, simplistic, atmospheric Finnish black metal, definitely for fans of Barathrum, Ajattara and Loits.

Baphomet's Blood In Satan We Trust. Murders their other albums, dirty Italian speed metal. I'll review this before summer break starts in August.

Blood Incantation Starspawn. Old school inspired death metal with some variation and imagination, I think this is far better than their EP which people were hyped on. Will undoubtedly be one of this year's most popular records in the genre, like a more cosmic, creepy version of Morbid Angel's sophomore with some other Floridian influences.

Carnal Tomb Rotten Remains. Nice mesh of old European death metal forms, Swedish and Dutch and German and English. This is one of my fave songs on the disc, love those bass parts.

Hammers of Misfortune Dead Revolution. Incredible, riffy heavy metal with all kinds of influences from 70s hard rock, prog rock, folk and more, you probably know these guys and if not, you should, because with the exception of their debut they have an excellent discography. Should be high up on my end of year list.

Vulture Victim to the Blade. AMAZING, dirty thrashing speed metal with the perfect atmosphere of those vile underground 80s records which inspired it. Almost as good as that Antichrist debut Forbidden World, which means, once again, will probably be high up on my year's end choices unless we get bombarded with masterpieces this Fall and early Winter.

Witherscape The Northern Sanctuary. Best Dan Swano in forever, has a lot of the features of his Moontower solo album and the better Edge of Sanity stuff he was involved in. Ragnar's riffs on this record absolutely slay.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Hehe can we name July the month of blood?

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Not quite metal but I just got tickets to see Steve Vai on his Passion & Warfare 25th Anniversary tour this October. He's playing the whole album start to finish! High school me would be shitting his pants. (Present me is pretty excited, though.)

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    @autothrall You have to pay for my medical bills. Ancestors Blood froze my balls off and Baphomet's Blood blew my brains across the floor. No idea how I'm alive right now. I'm letting you know about this now since I'm afraid that Blood Incantation will smash my fingers into a tangled mess leaving me unable to post here.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh shiiiit, I've been looking forward to this Kowloon Walled City / Minsk / Black Temple thing here in town for months, but they just added local fucking heroes Blessings! :D
    If you're in west Sweden the 31th august don't miss this!!!
    https://youtu.be/TxrGZGCcEv0

Panda4You on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Not quite metal but I just got tickets to see Steve Vai on his Passion & Warfare 25th Anniversary tour this October. He's playing the whole album start to finish! High school me would be shitting his pants. (Present me is pretty excited, though.)

Must check for availability near me. That album blew my mind and introduced me to more guitar techniques than just about any other LP.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    @autothrall You have to pay for my medical bills. Ancestors Blood froze my balls off and Baphomet's Blood blew my brains across the floor. No idea how I'm alive right now. I'm letting you know about this now since I'm afraid that Blood Incantation will smash my fingers into a tangled mess leaving me unable to post here.

Ha! Well maybe I'll hang onto the check, after Carnal Tomb and Vulture there shouldn't be anything left of ya that I have to mail it to :twisted:

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    So I just got this massive Meshuggah vinyl boxset in the mail. Absolutely colossal.

Here's the full haul in promo form:
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So Devin Townsend has announced his European tour support bands: TesseracT, and Leprous.

I am pleased.

Most pleased.

Campy on
  • Options
    We're getting relatively close to the time when they should start releasing snippets of the new Opeth and Devin Townsend stuff, I think. Looking forward to both.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    We're getting relatively close to the time when they should start releasing snippets of the new Opeth and Devin Townsend stuff, I think. Looking forward to both.

Hype get. These are two that I feel can accomplish anything on the strength of their songwriting. I dont mind proggy Opeth as much as some.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    There was a video released a few days ago from Opeth:

https://youtu.be/Olffy8UPwbo

The end of it has about 20 seconds of music that sounds pretty badass.

UEAKCrash wrote: »
    So I just got this massive Meshuggah vinyl boxset in the mail. Absolutely colossal.

Would have loved to have picked this up but the price D: I think it's sold out now anyways?

Oh well, I'm seeing them play with High on Fire in a few months. That'll be awesome.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Yep, box set is sold out now. It was pretty reasonably priced considering it was 17 records. But yeah, it was a bit of a splurge.

UEAKCrash on
This discussion has been closed.