As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Third new Ayreon song. Not the official video, at least not yet. There are four fan-made videos and he's having people vote on which will be the official one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRvtQD8GO7M

A more mellow song that will probably sound better on the album as part of the whole thing.

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Edit: BTW @autothrall, I fucking love White Death, Trance of Death, Appalling Ascension and just about everything else you've put out there on your monthly picks. Thanks man!

Speaking of which, here they are for March!

Dodecahedron Kwintessens (an even more maddening array of dissonant and overwhelming black metal than the debut, for fans of DSO and other like-minded bands.)

Drug Honkey Cloak of Skies (Head Honkey and the boys continue to explore the depths of madness with this sprawling work of doomed, drudging chaos. Some nice guest spots on this too.)

Lantern II: Morphosis (One of Finland's best subterranean, morbid and mystical death metal acts returns!)

Mastodon Emperor of Sand (enjoying the hell out of it, but hey it's Mastodon so YMMV.)

Nidingr The High Heat Licks Against Heaven (Norse black metal savagery with Teloch of Mayhem, possibly my fave album he's done for this project yet)

Pallbearer Heartless (imo, their best album yet, heavily melodic doom)

Rebirth of Nefast Tabernaculum (, excellent atmospheric Irish black metal, this one might be my fave of the month)

Sarcasm Within the Sphere of Ethereal Minds (another great Swedish comeback from this lesser known melodic death metal band out of the 90s, very solid album if you miss this proto-melodeath style).
    Saule Saule (new project, very atmospheric atmospheric post-black from Poland, takes you away)

Svart Crown Abreaction (killer French black/death metal from a band on the upswing!)

autothrall on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I saw them last year in Philly and I'm seeing them again tomorrow in NYC and I am just giddy.

@RedTide I sincerely hope you mean Boston because that's where they're playing tomorrow. NYC is where I saw them two nights ago.

Wow, what a complete fucking waste of money. I have no idea how I managed to do this.

:( Sorry dude. I would totally take a day trip up to Boston to catch them, it would be worth it.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Campy wrote: »
    Ditto on the Replacire, I'm also liking what I've heard so far of that Dumal album.

On the subject of bands doing things a little differently, Profound Lore Records have teased out another single from Artificial Brain. Tech death metal with the sound of, but a little less confusing and with more groove than Gorguts and their ilk. Heavier than an anvil straight to the dick.

Have we always had soundcloud auto-embedding?! Either way, awesome!

Man, I'm really looking forward to getting ahold of this when it drops. Good fucking call @Campy! \m/

Edit: I'm fairly sure that soundcloud auto-embed is a pretty new feature. Bandcamp embed would really make my day.

Edit x2: Dodecahedron, Svart Crown & Nidingr are fucking badass and I'm really looking forward to tracking down the rest. Thanks for the March picks @autothrall!!

Edit x3: Good call on Memoriam @Wolf of Dresden! \m/

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Agh, I'd offer to take your At the Drive-In ticket but I can't make the show. Fortunately I've seen them before, long ago.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeah, Lorelei is fucking tops, and I'll have to check out the others you've mentioned too.

No please go ahead and discuss EoS bro, I think a lot of people want to know your thoughts about it and feel similarly to you about it. I won't be a barrier to other's enjoyment of music they like or their discovery of such, if I can help it. I thought I was the only one ITT who doesn't particularly like newer Mastodon, but I think discussion is a good healthy thing. In fact, I'd say controversy keeps shit interesting as long as we can manage not to just shit all over each other and call names.

Hey, I've never actually cared for any of the Mastodon I've heard, and I'm pretty sure I've tried listening to stuff across most of their catalog. :biggrin: Maybe one day I'll find something by them that I like, but eh.

Of course, I'm also the guy who didn't care for King Diamond until last year.

Mastodon has always confused me because people with a wide variety of heavy tastes revere them but after listening to half their albums over the years they just seem like ... lightweight rock-metal? I feel like I must be missing something because people talk about them being heavy and groovy and intense, but like ... compared to even just the average doom metal band?

I've always just shrugged and figured I must not be wired for whatever it is that evokes such loyalty and ardor in so many listeners.

desc on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I think they write catchy riffs and vocal hooks, which I dig. *shrug* They're not transcendent or anything.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    The cool thing about Mastodon, to me, was that they released this series of 4-concept albums around fire (Remission), earth (Blood Mountain), water (Leviathan), and air (Crack the Skye), and in each one the atmosphere of the sound of each album matched that fire, earth, water, or air aesthetic.

I always thought that was really cool. Like the sound of each album was specifically designed around those concepts (to me anyways). Since then they've been pretty meh. I don't begrudge the change in their sound, it just comes across as boring to me and lacking the creativity and composition their previous stuff had.

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    I fucking love Lantern 8-)

They're the ultimate old-school DnD megadungeon filled with undead dragons Death Metal band.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Some of the songs on the new Mastodon album are not a big change in sound from the earlier albums...some of it is akin to The Hunter, sure, with a more mainstream rock sound, or like a heavier Foo Fighters, but there are a number of good, heavy tunes on there which could have appeared in that 2000-2010 period with no one the wiser. The one I posted above is an example, it's like hardcore Voivod chords in an early Mastodon groove. Does it feel a little back and forth, to switch between those eras? Yes, I agree, but I don't mind their rock songs if they're just catchier and more musically proficient than the stuff I turn on the radio to. Which is often the case.

autothrall on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We should all chip in and get Auto a copy of the All That Remains album coming out so he can review it.

And I see there's a new Steel Panther. I'd say the jokes getting a little old at this point.

• Options
    We should all chip in and get Auto a copy of the All That Remains album coming out so he can review it.

8-)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The cool thing about Mastodon, to me, was that they released this series of 4-concept albums around fire (Remission), earth (Blood Mountain), water (Leviathan), and air (Crack the Skye), and in each one the atmosphere of the sound of each album matched that fire, earth, water, or air aesthetic.

I always thought that was really cool. Like the sound of each album was specifically designed around those concepts (to me anyways). Since then they've been pretty meh. I don't begrudge the change in their sound, it just comes across as boring to me and lacking the creativity and composition their previous stuff had.

The concept of the new album is cancer.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

And I see there's a new Steel Panther. I'd say the jokes getting a little old at this point.

The jokes wearing thin and they've pretty much said all u can as a fake hair metal band, but they do put on a hell of a live show and outside of the lyrical content several of their songs are legit good in composition and instrumentation.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    We should all chip in and get Auto a copy of the All That Remains album coming out so he can review it...
    TAKE.MY.MONEY.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I saw them last year in Philly and I'm seeing them again tomorrow in NYC and I am just giddy.

@RedTide I sincerely hope you mean Boston because that's where they're playing tomorrow. NYC is where I saw them two nights ago.

Wow, what a complete fucking waste of money. I have no idea how I managed to do this.

:( Sorry dude. I would totally take a day trip up to Boston to catch them, it would be worth it.

Fuck me, at least I've seen them before.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    autothrall wrote: »
    Some of the songs on the new Mastodon album are not a big change in sound from the earlier albums...some of it is akin to The Hunter, sure, with a more mainstream rock sound, or like a heavier Foo Fighters, but there are a number of good, heavy tunes on there which could have appeared in that 2000-2010 period with no one the wiser. The one I posted above is an example, it's like hardcore Voivod chords in an early Mastodon groove. Does it feel a little back and forth, to switch between those eras? Yes, I agree, but I don't mind their rock songs if they're just catchier and more musically proficient than the stuff I turn on the radio to. Which is often the case.
    Very interesting point! Won't have any impact on my personal experience of their music I'd guess, but I no longer feel like we are on completely different planes of reality. :+1::+1:

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    As they used to say in an old metal magazine I no longer recall the title of, "There's no accounting for taste." Maybe Autothrall will remember. Metal Maniacs? Metal Edge? Who knows.

• Options
    Hehe. It goes back a lot further than Metal Maniacs, the original Latin expression is 'De gustibus non est disputandum'.

But I do remember those magazines. 'Metal Edge' was mostly glam/hard rock stuff if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    I swear, looking forward to and getting these lists at the end of each month is like being a member of a wine club.

Only a lot better

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Hehe. It goes back a lot further than Metal Maniacs, the original Latin expression is 'De gustibus non est disputandum'.

But I do remember those magazines. 'Metal Edge' was mostly glam/hard rock stuff if I'm not mistaken.

Corny as it was in retrospect, young Kreutz discovered a lot of bands through the copies of Metal Edge purchased from the local grocery store in the mid to late 1990s.

• Options
    I actually never had the opportunity to read a proper metal magazine when I was first getting into music, but a lot of the random magazines I came across would have metal reviews. I discovered My Dying Bride in 1994 or 1995 because a local free magazine that was often in a used CD store near me had a review of Turn Loose the Swans with the comment, "these guys make Type O Negative sound like the Mousketeers" (Bloody Kisses had quickly become one of my favorites at the time). I first learned about black metal around that same time when I read a review of Mayhem's De Mysteriis dom Sathanas in some free magazine I picked up at a Tower Records while on vacation with my family.

Things really ramped up for me when I got internet through college in '95, though. I discovered so many bands that way.

• Options
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Corny as it was in retrospect, young Kreutz discovered a lot of bands through the copies of Metal Edge purchased from the local grocery store in the mid to late 1990s.

It was a similar thing to RIP and Hit Parader, if I'm remembering correctly, there was a threshold of popularity where they'd also cover the heavier bands (Slayer, Metallica, etc). Whereas Metal Maniacs had a wider spread across the sub-genres. I used to read that one a lot, and whatever I could get of underground zines, until stuff like Ill Literature came along and took it all to another level, with smarter interviews and reviews that I think revolutionized a lot of the metal press. I know my own stuff is inspired by Marco Barbieri and the other writers there.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Woo hoo! Dates Warning coming to Buffalo this summer!

Added bonus: Singer in my Maiden/Priest tribute is buds with Ray Alder so I may get to meet them as well!

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Went to a Gloryhammer show last month! The guys were fucking great and nice to talk to afterwards. Their going on a solo tour later this year, think. I'll be sure to check them out again.

Also, just got my sweet sweet Gloryhammer Unicorn T-shirt.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I wasn't really feeling it when I first posted it a few weeks back, but I've come around to the first song Sólstafir put up from their next album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3o5RcU5Ds0

I even preordered it through Seasons of Mist, although probably spent way too much money doing so.

Definitely like what I've heard off that new Pallbearer album. I should probably just buy it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wasn't really feeling it when I first posted it a few weeks back, but I've come around to the first song Sólstafir put up from their next album.

snip

I even preordered it through Seasons of Mist, although probably spent way too much money doing so.

Wow, I was really enjoying that til the vocals kicked in.

I still need to get around to checking out more of what you guys in this thread suggested to me last time. I gave a lot of them a once over a couple tracks but didn't take a deep dive to to life stuff keeping me from being in a music mood.

Oh also just put on that Pallbearer album. It seems really good.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options

I really love the song, can't wait for the whole thing.

• Options
    About to head to Chicago to see Amorphis tonight! Looking forward to it. Haven't seen them live in over 10 years, and that was when their current vocalist was new to the band. They hadn't even recorded anything with him yet. Both of the local opening bands seem pretty OK too. One is a gothic/doomy/whatever band called Varhar, and the other is a band called Earthen. They're a sort of folky metal band with clean vocals that kind of reminded me of when my parents used to listen to Gordon Lightfoot, although I went back and listened to some Lightfoot after making that observation and realized my memory might be a little fuzzy.
    Uriel wrote: »

snip

I still need to get around to checking out more of what you guys in this thread suggested to me last time. I gave a lot of them a once over a couple tracks but didn't take a deep dive to to life stuff keeping me from being in a music mood.

The first time I heard Sólstafir, I didn't like Addi's vocals. He's really grown on me in recent years, though. I got to see them on a metal cruise in an intimate live setting and it really cemented them as one of my favorite bands in recent years. Here's a pretty good live performance of theirs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHD8dL3c_A4

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hah.

I'm not sure if Blaze Bayley appreciated the irony of shooting a video in a flight simulator.

https://youtu.be/kJTXqHA2eYs

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    About to head to Chicago to see Amorphis tonight! Looking forward to it. Haven't seen them live in over 10 years, and that was when their current vocalist was new to the band. They hadn't even recorded anything with him yet. Both of the local opening bands seem pretty OK too. One is a gothic/doomy/whatever band called Varhar, and the other is a band called Earthen. They're a sort of folky metal band with clean vocals that kind of reminded me of when my parents used to listen to Gordon Lightfoot, although I went back and listened to some Lightfoot after making that observation and realized my memory might be a little fuzzy.

snip

The first time I heard Sólstafir, I didn't like Addi's vocals. He's really grown on me in recent years, though. I got to see them on a metal cruise in an intimate live setting and it really cemented them as one of my favorite bands in recent years. Here's a pretty good live performance of theirs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHD8dL3c_A4

I saw them play Manchester a year or so ago and I really liked them. The atmospheric stuff translates really well into a live show, where you can be vibrated by the reverb, mmmmmmmmmmmm... Addi was really animated, he climbed up on the bar and was strolling about high fiving and shaking hands with people while he sung, twas pretty cool.

Speaking of being vibrated, Pallbearer are playing in about 2 weeks and Sunn O))) in a few months. I really can't afford to buy tickets at the moment for either, but I'm sorely tempted.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So Ulsect is a new band with members from Dodecahedron and ex-Textures. It's pretty neat and I think some people here will appreciate it:

https://youtu.be/q45-0uk89to

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Weird. Last night's Amorphis show was great, but there was no merch for them. Plenty of Swallow the Sun stuff though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

snip

My strategy is to just tag anything halfway promising into a YouTube playlist and then to belatedly listen to 30 bands in a row a year later

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

snip

My strategy is to just tag anything halfway promising into a YouTube playlist and then to belatedly listen to 30 bands in a row a year later

Seems like a good strategy. I endorse it.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE BAND.

Not really, but I grimmed the #&$$# out to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q5Y77F8W04

I never heard of these guys but that song was pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind a discography review in the future :winky:

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hah.

I'm not sure if Blaze Bayley appreciated the irony of shooting a video in a flight simulator.

https://youtu.be/kJTXqHA2eYs

Nice to see Martin Van Buren has found a fall back career.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    More metal weirdness in the form of John Frum. Featuring former members of The Faceless and Dillinger Escape Plan, surely a recipe for delight!

Full length is out on the 12th of May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WuZAHo8cxI

ediiiiiiiit: Daaaamn, that Ulsect track is a fucking banger. Just fucking nasty!

Campy on
  • Options
    A new Loss is coming out. One of the top funeral doom bands in the US. Perfect for sitting in the bath will all the lights off pondering the meaninglessness of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihpen9zimiw

Katavasia has a track from their new album up -Requiem For The Nocturnal Lover. Not going to link it because of bewbs, but it's some nice greek black metal with members from Varathorn, Hail Spirit Noir

And the new band Pale King is sounding good on their upcoming release.

https://youtu.be/dVbXQnBdhJk

This discussion has been closed.