As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Series from Jim Butcher! [Cinder Spires] Book 1 Out 9/29!

DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
51pXU0kddfL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cinder Spires Vol I - The Aeronaut's Windlass is out Tuesday, 9/29. It's the first book in a new series by Jim Butcher (of Dresden Files fame). This new series is in the Steampunk genre, and it seems that Jim has been into this genre for a while so there's good reason to get hype.

The blurb from the publisher:
Jim Butcher, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Dresden Files and the Codex Alera novels, conjures up a new series set in a fantastic world of noble families, steam-powered technology, and magic-wielding warriors…

Since time immemorial, the Spires have sheltered humanity, towering for miles over the mist-shrouded surface of the world. Within their halls, aristocratic houses have ruled for generations, developing scientific marvels, fostering trade alliances, and building fleets of airships to keep the peace.

Captain Grimm commands the merchant ship, Predator. Fiercely loyal to Spire Albion, he has taken their side in the cold war with Spire Aurora, disrupting the enemy’s shipping lines by attacking their cargo vessels. But when the Predator is severely damaged in combat, leaving captain and crew grounded, Grimm is offered a proposition from the Spirearch of Albion—to join a team of agents on a vital mission in exchange for fully restoring Predator to its fighting glory.

And even as Grimm undertakes this dangerous task, he will learn that the conflict between the Spires is merely a premonition of things to come. Humanity’s ancient enemy, silent for more than ten thousand years, has begun to stir once more. And death will follow in its wake…

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Is this YA? I mean I'm buying it regardless, but I think I remember hearing that.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Prologue down. Might be hooked.

Does this mean I need to read his other two series too?

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    If you haven't read the Dresden Files (in order), then your life is incomplete.

The first 2 (or 3?) are a bit rough, but the investment pays off in spades.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »

Spoiler-free event from the Dresden Files as a teaser: Zombie T-Rex Rodeo.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    The whole of American Literature was working towards the Zombie T-Rex. Someday it will be enshrined in the halls of the great museums as a pinnacle achievement of modern literature.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Why people don't consider that a spoiler I have no idea, other than it reaching "he's already dead" levels of "holy shit this is everywhere"

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Why people don't consider that a spoiler I have no idea, other than it reaching "he's already dead" levels of "holy shit this is everywhere"

From my perspective? Plenty of times it could occur actually, based on the relevant accouterments needed for that level of shenanigans.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Maybe we should stick to Cinder Spires in this thread?

At least until Mouse shows up as the first mate or something.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I just started reading The Codex Alera (in order).

I'm about a hundred pages in and so far it's not bad.

But it's taking itself a bit more seriously than the Dresden files and I miss the wise-cracking. Hopefully Cinder Spires is more along that vein.

Also, does anyone know if Cinder Spires is told from a first-person perspective like the Dresden Files?

RT800 on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Codex Alera sets up a fantastic world in the first couple books, but ends up contrasting on the least interesting aspect of it for most of the series. It's a good read though.
    Goddamn Vord. They were an interesting tidbit about the world in the first book, but became less and less interesting as the series went on. And they were in the limelight more and more the further you get.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    But this series seems promising. Looking forward to it. Steampunk is a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    RT800 wrote: »

But it's taking itself a bit more seriously than the Dresden files and I miss the wise-cracking. Hopefully Cinder Spires is more along that vein.

Also, does anyone know if Cinder Spires is told from a first-person perspective like the Dresden Files?

Yes (mostly), but more viewpoints so far. There's a ...wisesassy one.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    So general consensus is "not bad"?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

Yes (mostly), but more viewpoints so far. There's a ...wisesassy one.

Its told from third person subjective limited. Just like Codex Alera.

• Options
    Heir wrote: »

This book is rocking my boxers.

But I loved Codex Alera (not the first book, but that was a bit rough because Jim wrote that way before it was published). This is 3rd book quality. This is Cursor's Fury quality folks

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

This book is rocking my boxers.

But I loved Codex Alera (not the first book, but that was a bit rough because Jim wrote that way before it was published). This is 3rd book quality. This is Cursor's Fury quality folks

Ohhh now I'm extra excited. That was my favorite Codex Alera book.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sure do wish Amazon would ship my copy, today being release day and all....

• Options
    I can't help but somewhat picture Skies of Arcadia when I read this.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    This book is excellent.

Jim Butcher has successfully become the first author to write a PoV for a Cat correctly.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    This book is excellent.

Jim Butcher has successfully become the first author to write a PoV for a Cat correctly.

What about Pratchett?

• Options
    Having finished the book, I found it excellent.

Good cast of characters. Even a villain that you really want to see go down. Or two.
    In my case Cavendish and Rook. I really hate those two.

Great setting. Not really Steampunk. More Crystalpunk.

I do worry Bridget would fail a Bechtel test. At least Gwen wouldn't.

• Options
    I just had to google Bechtel test. That's great.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The Spire's dimensions don't make all that much sense.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options

How so?

• Options
    The spires (almost total lack of effective) defenses doesn't make that much sense. Roll with it! Though I've still only seen the one, maybe others are better at it.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    does anyone know how the audiobook is? i know it can't be dresden files good because james marsters isn't doing it, but i hope it's decent. been a while since i listened to a fun book, too many depressing ones.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    This book is excellent.

What about Pratchett?

Greebo was well written but he didn't remind me of any of the cats that live with me.

• Options

How so?

It's ten thousand feet high and two miles across. So its roughly a cube, but the word Spire implies its a tower, and it has two hundred and fifty six habbles, which are apparently very tall each. They'd have to only be forty feet tall to fit the stated dimensions, which doesn't really mesh with the text. Unless some levels are shorter and others taller.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    does anyone know how the audiobook is? i know it can't be dresden files good because james marsters isn't doing it, but i hope it's decent. been a while since i listened to a fun book, too many depressing ones.

The Codex Alera Audiobooks were great, so I've got hope.

• Options

How so?

It's ten thousand feet high and two miles across. So its roughly a cube, but the word Spire implies its a tower, and it has two hundred and fifty six habbles, which are apparently very tall each. They'd have to only be forty feet tall to fit the stated dimensions, which doesn't really mesh with the text. Unless some levels are shorter and others taller.

Skyscrapers.

• Options
    I mean, I dig the book. I just can't figure out how the Spire is laid out.

• Options
    CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    Speculation including late book spoilers.
    So what do people think of the world? Is it a colony world that lost their tech or some flavor of alt universe like Codex Alera. Humanity certainly didn't evolve on that world.

The Enemy Folly saw seemed to be some flavor of robot or golem possibly animated/corrupted by the etheric energy's.

Possibly one way colonists landed on the planet and started building Arcologies (the spires) when their tech rebelled.

Mostly just spitballing I quite enjoyed the book and finding good discussion is tough.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

How so?

Skyscrapers.

How does that answer the question? (Not trying to be snarky; just confused.)

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

How so?

Skyscrapers.

How does that answer the question? (Not trying to be snarky; just confused.)

Each hab could be it's own mini tower on the main spire.

• Options
    edited October 2015

How so?

Skyscrapers.

Nah, I just read this part where they talk about it. Each Spire is a cylinder with each Habble being a square inside that cylinder, and the extra space on the edges used for cisterns, maintenance tunnels and things of that nature.

Now he did get his measurements wrong, or the characters did anyways. Someone says the spires are 10000ft tall, and someone else says each habble (habitat level) is 50ft tall except for habble landing, which split their level in two. So if there are 250 or so levels, then the spire would be around 12500ft tall. I imagine the characters themselves don't really know, and only the people who study the schematics really know.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Corran wrote: »
    Speculation including late book spoilers.
    So what do people think of the world? Is it a colony world that lost their tech or some flavor of alt universe like Codex Alera. Humanity certainly didn't evolve on that world.

The Enemy Folly saw seemed to be some flavor of robot or golem possibly animated/corrupted by the etheric energy's.

Possibly one way colonists landed on the planet and started building Arcologies (the spires) when their tech rebelled.

Mostly just spitballing I quite enjoyed the book and finding good discussion is tough.
    seems to me like it's some kind of postapocalyptic world where nature mutated rapidly and overgrowthed the entire surface of the world, forcing humanity to live in giant suspended towers in the stratosphere. wood and wood products (the books in the library) are a precious luxury good and the fact that the Temple of the Way uses actual dirt to grow the plants and not uh...nutrient sand i think is noted by Gwendolyn as something crazy, as gathering those resources from the surface is insanely risky due to all the wildlife. The silkweavers are some kind of mutated chelicerata and the descriptions of the verminocitors say that they consistently fight nightmarish creatures from the surface

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So, it's a prequel to
    the Jetsons?

And the Flintstones?

• Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Oh, man, I just bought American Gods, but that might have to take a backseat to this and eventually Shadows of Self. Having too much good reading material is certainly a problem I don't mind having, though :biggrin:

Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    It might be because I *just* read another book, Updraft, about post-apocalyptic humanity living in enormous towers above the clouds because the ground is too dangerous, etc.; but from the descriptions posted so far this all sounds very YA fiction-ish.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    It might be because I *just* read another book, Updraft, about post-apocalyptic humanity living in enormous towers above the clouds because the ground is too dangerous, etc.; but from the descriptions posted so far this all sounds very YA fiction-ish.

There were no selections and nobody was posted to another group where you would never see them again.