As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Okay, what prices would yall consider acceptable for the current crop of handheld options?

I'm seeing
    $225 - N3DS Animal Crossing (used, amazon warehouse)
    $200 - N3DSXL Monhun Gen (new, amazon)
    $??? - N3DSXL regular (not available on amazon?)
    $140+ - N3DSXL (used, amazon)

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Okay, what prices would yall consider acceptable for the current crop of handheld options?

I'm seeing
    $225 - N3DS Animal Crossing (used, amazon warehouse)
    $200 - N3DSXL Monhun Gen (new, amazon)
    $??? - N3DSXL regular (not available on amazon?)
    $140+ - N3DSXL (used, amazon)

? The 3DSXL shows up for me - also $200 (unsurprisingly).

You may consider the 2DS, which is <$100, if you don't mind the couple things they cut out for it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    There were Amazon sellers who had the n3DS (non-xl) new for about $250. That's where I got mine about a week ago.

Figure out if the smaller form factor is what you want, that's the only real decision to make.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Hang on, what's this adapter nonsense?

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular

New 3DS' don't come with power cables.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »

My Japanese one did
    But then I got it slightly used so I think he tossed it in as an afterthought

• Options

Is that even allowed? Like, they don't come with a usb-ac brick or they don't come with any way to power the device?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Is that even allowed? Like, they don't come with a usb-ac brick or they don't come with any way to power the device?

No charging device out of the box whatsoever. The idea is that most customers have an extra charger lying about to use. It saves Nintendo 10 cents per unit plus it makes the box smaller and lighter so they pay less to ship 'em and can fit more in a shipping crate.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

No charging device out of the box whatsoever. The idea is that most customers have an extra charger lying about to use. It saves Nintendo 10 cents per unit plus it makes the box smaller and lighter so they pay less to ship 'em and can fit more in a shipping crate.

I wonder how many consumers have been burned by this. I get the rationale, but what if you don't have any kind of 3DS at all? Does the box warn you it doesn't come with a charger?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I wonder how many consumers have been burned by this. I get the rationale, but what if you don't have any kind of 3DS at all? Does the box warn you it doesn't come with a charger?

Yes, it's the red stripe along the bottom:

nintendo-3ds-xl-packaging-1500x1000.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's been the same plug since I think as far back as the DSi. So we're talking as far back as 2009 and... 4 systems? Off the top of my head: DSi>3DS>3DSXL>2DS>N3DS.

It would be nice to see how many were affected like you say. My gut reaction is to say the average person either already has at least 2 of them lying around, or statistically has a friend who does. It makes sense... but it makes more sense in a country like Japan, whose landmass is less than that of California, but 3x the population. For the entirety of North America... eh maybe not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    some people like to sell/give away the old device to a friend/family member though, which means someone at some point has to spend $20 extra on a power brick.

I 100% get Nintendo's rationale behind it. I 100% do not agree with it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I will say at least the official adapters are cheap--I know the last time I bought one it was like $9.99.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It was still crappy because on launch day many places like Game Stop required you to include the AC adapter to qualify for trading in your old 3DS for their N3DS trade in deals.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It was still crappy because on launch day many places like Game Stop required you to include the AC adapter to qualify for trading in your old 3DS for their N3DS trade in deals.

That's when you buy one of their off-brand chargers and trade that in with the old system, and keep the official adapter for yourself.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    My sister lost her charger a while back and I went on a massive quest to find her one locally. Nobody had one. Went to Meijer, went to Target...finally Gamestop had a charger BUT it was a garbage off brand thing. Still better than nothing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    You can likely go to a Goodwill or equivalent thrift store in your area and find one for less than $5.

Cheapest one I see on Amazon is $4.56 with prime shipping.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    My sister lost her charger a while back and I went on a massive quest to find her one locally. Nobody had one. Went to Meijer, went to Target...finally Gamestop had a charger BUT it was a garbage off brand thing. Still better than nothing.

Last time I needed one I had to get it at the local grocery store, of all places. (that's also where we found Pokemon Black 2 for $5. I love the HEB).

• Options
    Not including the usb-ac end of the charging solution is commonplace for accessories now since everything has USB charging ports but man at the $200 price point goddamn

If they were gonna do that they could at least use a standard USB, that is just

suuuper shitty

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I always try to spring for official stuff when it comes to accessories

I got an official 3DS charger for my New XL when I got one from Nintendo.com, I seem to remember the price being reasonable

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's been the same plug since I think as far back as the DSi. So we're talking as far back as 2009 and... 4 systems? Off the top of my head: DSi>3DS>3DSXL>2DS>N3DS.

It would be nice to see how many were affected like you say. My gut reaction is to say the average person either already has at least 2 of them lying around, or statistically has a friend who does. It makes sense... but it makes more sense in a country like Japan, whose landmass is less than that of California, but 3x the population. For the entirety of North America... eh maybe not.

Close. The 3DS came with a charger, I think the rational being "its the first one and they definitely don't have this charger yet". Maybe?

edit: I can't read, apparently

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    What I actually ended up doing was buying a $3 china special off of ebay that has a USB connector on one end. I can charge my 3DS from anything with a USB port, including a portable battery. Much more useful than the stock charger.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TDawg wrote: »

Close. The 3DS came with a charger, I think the rational being "its the first one and they definitely don't have this charger yet". Maybe?

No, we're talking about the physical plug, not whether a charger came in the the box. Nintendo has been using the same plug since the DSi, and the n3DS and n3DS XL are the first systems that don't include that charger in the box.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Actually I'm pretty sure the 3DSLL in Japan didn't come with the charger in the box either.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Ugh, I think I'm even worse at Lockstep with buttons than I was with a touchscreen. But I refuse to turn on Simple Tap to find out it's not that and it's actually my sense of rhythm getting worse with age.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Based on the demo, Simple Tap also simplifies the games some. For example, the fruits-down-the-stairs one changes from needing to press the d-pad or the buttons based on which side the fruit is on to just needing to tap regardless of which side the fruit is on.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I actually ended up turning off the timing display

Knowing that I'm just shy or just late of a perfect isn't doing anything but stressing me out

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ugh, I think I'm even worse at Lockstep with buttons than I was with a touchscreen. But I refuse to turn on Simple Tap to find out it's not that and it's actually my sense of rhythm getting worse with age.

Oh thank god, it's not just me.

That's the only game in Rhythm Heaven where I honestly cannot tell what they want me to do at the interchange. I hate that minigame.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Lockstep is the most infuriating game that you can eventually do with your eyes closed once you "get it". You can't cheat it, you can't brute force it, you can't use the visuals. The game is telling you now that this is RHYTHM Heaven and you better get with the program. You can only feel the rhythm, and it's a dead simple rhythm once you get it. Once you get Lockstep, you get everything.

"Hai hai hai ha-ha ha ha oompa oompa-hai hai hai"

Incidentally, Lockstep 2 in the DS version was by far the easier version. They really should have led with that one first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vItvp1cwftc

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    So there's a new Professor Layton game in development. No idea of what platform though.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/27/theres-a-new-professor-layton-in-development?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Oh thank god, it's not just me.

That's the only game in Rhythm Heaven where I honestly cannot tell what they want me to do at the interchange. I hate that minigame.

They want you to switch between the upbeat and the downbeat. So normally, it's:

1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4

But when it goes "Ha-Ha-Ha-HaHA!", they want:

1-2-3-41-2-3-4

Then, when it goes "Hoowa-Hoowa-HA!", they want:

-1-2-3-41-2-3-4

I don't know if my explanation helps. Some of these games people have a hard time "getting". Monkey Watch was this for me. Also, the Jazz frogs were annoying.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    skeldare wrote: »
    So there's a new Professor Layton game in development. No idea of what platform though.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/27/theres-a-new-professor-layton-in-development?

Awesome. With "puzzle master" Akira Tago sadly passed away, I wonder who they've brought on to replace him. Or if it will feature puzzles at all.

homogenized on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Awesome. With "puzzle master" Akira Tago sadly passed away, I wonder who they've brought on to replace him. Or if it will feature puzzles at all.

I have an idea of where the Layton series is headed
    5822.gunlayton.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg
    dc7.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Today was a good day. Thanks to buy 2 get 1 free sales at GameStop I got Chrono Trigger, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Puzzles and Dragons 3DS, and all three DS Castlevania games. No cases of course but still happy with my finds.

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Is it just buy 2 get one on all used games?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Yeah - it was. It might have ended last night though.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I think Amazon finally noticed their error. DQ7 finally has a store page again, and I got an e-mail stating that the release date for DQ8 is back to its december placeholder date.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

For 3DS, this means SMT IV Apocalypse and 7th Dragon.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.