As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Patch 3.3 is live, Get to it!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    What, do you need more accuracy to ensure hits with book smacks than you need to ensure Miasma will never miss?

Correct, the ACC requirement on flank hits is higher. According to the chart AS8 only needs 608 ACC for my spells to be 100% accurate (in my experience it's actually closer to 600), but 682 for melee hits/flank, and the DPS loss I would get from forcing the extra 74 ACC would not be worth it IMO. Plus having to be in melee, etc etc.

If I happen to be in Melee because mechanics require it, then yeah any book hits I get are extra damage, but you would never want to stat yourself out for an extra 74 ACC or force yourself to always be in melee just for the extra book hit damage. In my experience you'll lose far more DPS in the process.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, ACC seems like a fairly poor stat. There's no choice on how much you pour into it, because there is a mathematically best choice. You hit exactly the cap, because you're otherwise losing damage due to missing, or losing damage due to putting too much into it and neglecting other stats.

At least with stuff like crit, det, and speed, there's room to experiment, and builds that are better for one job than another. With ACC, you might as well just eliminate the stat entirely and reduce the number of Materia slots on gear. It'd have the same effect.

The whole point buy system for main stats has a similar issue, in that you always want to max your class's primary one.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, ACC seems like a fairly poor stat. There's no choice on how much you pour into it, because there is a mathematically best choice. You hit exactly the cap, because you're otherwise losing damage due to missing, or losing damage due to putting too much into it and neglecting other stats.

At least with stuff like crit, det, and speed, there's room to experiment, and builds that are better for one job than another. With ACC, you might as well just eliminate the stat entirely and reduce the number of Materia slots on gear. It'd have the same effect.

The whole point buy system for main stats has a similar issue, in that you always want to max your class's primary one.

Except for poor ACN (resets aside I mean).

That was... something of a design fail for 2.0. Would have been nice if they just gave each a trait that said "fuck it, we're just adding your bonus X for Y"

Edit: Heavensward hit $20 on Steam (plus $10 for base... or... $35 for the bundle jesus Square don't mimic Bethesda). Not helpful to me though... (I'm inferring from some previous posts that there's an issue with using steam version with non-steam account?)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Except for poor ACN (resets aside I mean).

That was... something of a design fail for 2.0. Would have been nice if they just gave each a trait that said "fuck it, we're just adding your bonus X for Y"

Edit: Heavensward hit $20 on Steam (plus $10 for base... or... $35 for the bundle jesus Square don't mimic Bethesda). Not helpful to me though... (I'm inferring from some previous posts that there's an issue with using steam version with non-steam account?)

You can use the Steam version with any account, it's just that you cannot mix and match the base game and the expansion across Steam/not Steam

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the design for my wedding band is coming along nicely. Once I have a render I'll have to share with you, since it was...heavily themed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I am trying to figure out how one gets the moogle house exterior, and it all seems that I need to send airships on expeditions for the trade in components to get the schematic. Is there a way to send airships for things without burdening the free company with my selfish desire for a moogle house?

My FC did the moogle exterior and it is the best. Highly recommended kupo!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    GHOST did it and it looks awesome. I was thinking about it for my personal house. Doesn't look like it is in the cards.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Anybody know much about the One-Time Passwords/Authenticator for this game?

I went to set one up, and the App had a bunch of bad reviews about an iPhone update rendering the app useless and thus locking them out of their accounts. Was that a one time event that has been fixed, or is that a regular occurrence?

I know that setting one up gets you a Free Teleport Destination, and that in WoW if you didn't have something like that then it was basically just a matter of time until you got hacked.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Lars wrote: »

I went to set one up, and the App had a bunch of bad reviews about an iPhone update rendering the app useless and thus locking them out of their accounts. Was that a one time event that has been fixed, or is that a regular occurrence?

I know that setting one up gets you a Free Teleport Destination, and that in WoW if you didn't have something like that then it was basically just a matter of time until you got hacked.

I always recommend the physical authenticator as the Apps can sometimes have issues as you mentioned. I've had my physical one since say one with no issue.

And yeah for security you REALLY want one.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Thanks for the ACC chart but I was wondering about Skill Speed for DRG, which I heard was around 620 or some such. Is that still true for this patch?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Thanks for the ACC chart but I was wondering about Skill Speed for DRG, which I heard was around 620 or some such. Is that still true for this patch?

Yes, because that is driven off the GCD.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    DRG skill speed will not change with this current expansion

The reason for ~620 skill speed is to drop the GCD to 2.4s
    Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize have a, you guessed it, 24s duration. As the standard rotation uses 9 abilities between each Heavy Thrust, you need to fit 10 GCDs in 24s. Hence, 2.4s GCDs

Having less is bad as you're likely to drop Phlebotomize and Heavy Thrust in between applications. Having more can be bad due to TP consumption, however more skill speed can make the rotation more lenient when it comes to breaking contact time due to mechanics. DRGs are rather touchy about contact time as they need to maintain Blood of the Dragon via their 4 ability chains. More skill speed can also help compensate for latency. For example, I aim to have around 650 skill speed to assist with latency, however this is a little less necessary with the undocumented changes to off-gcd queuing.

There is a possibility of getting so much skill speed you'll actually emerge out of the other end and have a powerful 3.5 geirskogul rotation but TP consumption is insane and it's generally not recommended.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    ..And my anima quest just disappeared from my quest log and now I have to do toughening up again.

I don't even..what? Theres no way in hell I abandoned that.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, in an effort to clean up inventory and focus down a little I'm trying to pick out 12 classes for my 'at least one level a day' policy. Currently I'm thinking something like a 5/4/3 split between Combat classes, crafting classes and gathering classes. Could use some help making the short list.

Current definites:
    WHM
    Chef

Current things I think I'd dig:

PLD
    AST
    Weaver

Things I'd like to fill in:

A DPS, maybe switch to DRK once PLD is high enough to get me taunt. Honestly don't have much of a clue as far as crafting goes. Though would like to be able to sort my own materia and glamours out.

• Options
    The big prank of crafting is that you eventually need to learn them all.

• Options
    Yeah, I'd gathered that but I figured I may as well at least start narrow.

• Options
    The big prank of crafting is that you eventually need to learn them all.

Yeah, minmaxing them calls for 50 in all of em... did they make 60 all just as big of a deal?

If you want to just hit capable, then CRP 50 and a bunch to 15 (and WVR to whatever gives careful synth II which is stupid good) will do.

You'll just have a harder time nailing HQ and all... it's not impossible though.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

I've used the Android one since it has been available, never had an issue.

I used a physical one prior to that.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I'm this close to biting the bullet because I want to take advantage of that Amazon offer. I see that the in-game items can be claimed until the end of the year looks like, but what about game time cards? Do those expire after a while?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Level weaver first if you don't want to level them concurrently. It feels great to trivially HQ your body/legs/gloves for any other crafting class. Also Careful Synth II means unless you're bad at math you will never ever outright fail a craft by missing a progress hit at <10 durability.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Alchemist and Culinarian to 15 is also vital. To a lesser extent, Carpenter and Armorer.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Question about ACC. I only use my DRG for 24 man raids or Normal Midas. How much ACC should I stack? How about Nidhogg EX or Sephirot EX?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    So the list:

WHM
    AST
    LNC
    BRD
    GLA

The three gatherers,

Weaver
    Gold smith
    Carpenter
    Culinarian.

Might switch carpenter to alchemist. Not sure which is more generically useful. I like the idea of making fancy consumables and clothes for the most part.

Goal is one level in one of those classes a day.

• Options
    CRP 50, WVR 50, CUL 34 and everything else 15 is the bare minimum to HQ stuff with regularity

CUL's 50 cross-class is the weakest for conventional crafts (Reclaim) but eventually you'll want all to 50 to have the full toolkit.
    With HW's stuff, Precise Touch at 52 is a major game changer
    Then with HW post-60 star level crafting, you'll want GSM 54 for Master's Mark as that's one half of the most common star level crafting rotation

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    If you're doing star level HW crafts, you need Leatherworker at 50+. Waste Not II is not something you can really afford to skip.

If you're doing star level HW crafts though, why don't you have everything at 50+ anyway though?

• Options
    Yeah, star level crafts assume that you have all level 50 cross-class skills.

• Options
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Baaaw! A Step Dance Party and I'm stuck away from my computer that has FFXIV on it(not sure if my grandmother's internet provider has unlimited downloading. Probably should have loaded up my tablet before I left...)

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I've restarted after a long break and I'm mighty tempted to purchase HW. Going from the base game to the expansion, is there anything significantly different about the content, or is it just more? Like, I'm really into the game's systems, but my two previous breaks from the game have been an exhaustion with the story, which I find pretty uninteresting. It's partly the direction of the cutscenes, and partly the story itself which for me is too cutesy and black and white. Do either of these aspects change in HW?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    I've restarted after a long break and I'm mighty tempted to purchase HW. Going from the base game to the expansion, is there anything significantly different about the content, or is it just more? Like, I'm really into the game's systems, but my two previous breaks from the game have been an exhaustion with the story, which I find pretty uninteresting. It's partly the direction of the cutscenes, and partly the story itself which for me is too cutesy and black and white. Do either of these aspects change in HW?

Somewhat. But not really.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    There's some gray about who's really at fault for some things that happen in the story, but by and large the Warrior of Light remains a blameless blank slate, all stoic nods and righteous valor. Also, even if you completed ARR, you've got several hours before you can actually get to the HW content.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Speaking of which, what should I do about armor during that? Up to Leviathan now and while it's been wonderful to me as far as accessories go, I'm still in my i50/55 gear from 2.0.

And now I find out that you now get i90 armor at 50 in a job.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The main story has been updated with i110 rewards and the vendors in Ishgard have i115 stuff for sale and if ask someone in GHOST cab make a shopping trip for you. There is also tomestones of Poetics which is a currency for level 50 plus the dungeons drop stuff up to i100.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It'll take a lot of poetics, but you can outfit yourself in ilvl 130 gear (except for a ring that will be 120).

That gear can last you until at least 55.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    The story is a huge part of the experience for me, but it could easily be skipped if youre not into the heady Japanese epic drama.

If you adore other parts of the game, you should totally play again. :)

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting the poetics armor is equiv ilvl to the level 51 dungeon armor, and upgrading it with carbon coat or twine brings it to the same stats as the level 53 dungeon armor drops.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Poetics it is then I guess.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    You'll probably hit the Heavensward content before you get a full suit of poetics gear. A mix and match set of the i110 gear you get from quests and poetics will serve you just fine starting out in HW.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Getting the poetics armor is equiv ilvl to the level 51 dungeon armor, and upgrading it with carbon coat or twine brings it to the same stats as the level 53 dungeon armor drops.

Except that blues are, on average, better statted than greens of equivalent item level. In practice, Ironworks will get you to Aery (55 dungeon), and augmenting them will get you to Vault (57 dungeon).

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    You'll probably hit the Heavensward content before you get a full suit of poetics gear. A mix and match set of the i110 gear you get from quests and poetics will serve you just fine starting out in HW.

Except for how sidetracked I'll probably get leveling other stuff I guess. Just put away Leviathan to wrap up 2.2 story... a fair bit to go still...

How bad is Titan Hard these days?

This discussion has been closed.