As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ark: Survival Evolved] Current PA Server Closing 6/6, Long Live the New Server

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    @Kalnaur Thanks again for the dinos and saddles and materials, it makes getting back into Ark after.. like 9 months.

The fact there was an abandonned Bronto AND T-Rex on my path back home riding the Spino made getting lost in the swamp worth every second!

Blue Base is up and running again!

..I logged out at your place because it was 3am and I did not want to fall asleep flying on a bird. That way leads to death, and loss of inventory.

That's the reason I store all my stuff on the quetz if I worry about dying mid-flight.

And I'm just glad someone will take them to a good home. There are still a few scorpions and some pachys and I think a raptor or two wandering above and below the metal behemoth gate west of red ob, if any long-time gone players want at least a few dinos for getting back into the swing of things.

Also, if such players have a few dinos they want to catch before we all traipse off to the new world, I have kibble I can share to do so. It's not infinite, but very few use more than 12-20 units max of kibble to catch and tame things.

One last thing

I am currently brewing beer and making flaregun fireworks to hold an "End of the World" party before we all travel into the light and the great beyond. I haven't set a date, but everyone's invited, and I do mean everyone. I'll clearly label a bed in case folks just want to teleport there, and I have yet to set a firm date, so chime in with one, but I thought it might be fitting to have a part for the End of the world at the World's End Village. Come wander the village and castle, get plastered, fire off firework flares, browse the freebie item selection (including BPs, beacon loot, and alpha dino loot), help me eat 5+ fridges full of cooked meat . . . It should be a blast. Again, if you have a specific day before June 6th that works best for you, say it here.

Let's party like it's the end of the world! :biggrin:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    For me, riding birds in general leads to death.

I wish there was a way to mock up structures, including the furniture inside, to plan things out. Like some kind of sandbox mode. Similar to the uh... whatever Minecraft mode lets you just build and lets you just select items from an inventory.

Edit: I know I can use console commands in SP, but not all items have ID's. Like the industrial forge.

You mean, like this mod right here?

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    That looks awesome!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    For me, riding birds in general leads to death.

I wish there was a way to mock up structures, including the furniture inside, to plan things out. Like some kind of sandbox mode. Similar to the uh... whatever Minecraft mode lets you just build and lets you just select items from an inventory.

Edit: I know I can use console commands in SP, but not all items have ID's. Like the industrial forge.

There's a mod that lets you do it, but it only supports the base game materials. Not structures added by mods.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I was talking with @MuddBudd last night about doing a vending machine mod for events, and am going to start digging into that this weekend. Actually adding items seems to be really simple from the new tutorials I've seen (though adding new functionality like paying for/generating items might be a bit trickier).

So I was trying to think about what other kind of mods would be neat, that don't exist. Nothing that would likely become a multi month project, but just some ideas for useful things (IE, the Pipes and Cables mod that makes them match up with buildings better).

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Today I had a bit of time, so I started taking some dudes to the obelisk. Mostly the small stuff that would get lost if caravaning, so I could fly it by bird - the dilos, the raptors, the oviraptor, the beetle, that stuff.

I'm noticing that there seems to be a pretty stark limit on how many items you can store in the Obelisk. and more worrisomely, it seems like storing something with a saddle in there makes the saddle disappear forever? Which seems like a pain. I had kind of hoped I could use the obelisk slots to bring a pile of floors and walls so as to be able to build something fast, but it seems like using half the slots in saddles is going to be necessary.

Also, does the player's inventory also disappear if you upload yourself to the Ob? Because man I just found a purple crossbow with like 171% damage I do not want to let this thing go.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Today I had a bit of time, so I started taking some dudes to the obelisk. Mostly the small stuff that would get lost if caravaning, so I could fly it by bird - the dilos, the raptors, the oviraptor, the beetle, that stuff.

I'm noticing that there seems to be a pretty stark limit on how many items you can store in the Obelisk. and more worrisomely, it seems like storing something with a saddle in there makes the saddle disappear forever? Which seems like a pain. I had kind of hoped I could use the obelisk slots to bring a pile of floors and walls so as to be able to build something fast, but it seems like using half the slots in saddles is going to be necessary.

Also, does the player's inventory also disappear if you upload yourself to the Ob? Because man I just found a purple crossbow with like 171% damage I do not want to let this thing go.

Saddles are stored separately as items in the big empty space above the buttons for storing dinos and yourself; storing a dino drops all the items they had on them in a little bag like the loot bag from when you die and your body disappears.

If you are putting items where it says "Summon Broodmother" they are not actually being stored in the obelisk.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I was talking with @MuddBudd last night about doing a vending machine mod for events, and am going to start digging into that this weekend. Actually adding items seems to be really simple from the new tutorials I've seen (though adding new functionality like paying for/generating items might be a bit trickier).

So I was trying to think about what other kind of mods would be neat, that don't exist. Nothing that would likely become a multi month project, but just some ideas for useful things (IE, the Pipes and Cables mod that makes them match up with buildings better).

There do seem to be a couple options already out. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=592595740

I'm fine with pipe length and such personally. What I would really love is some way to see pipes and wires that are already embedded in floors and walls.

• Options

Build some cabinets near an obelisk in single player, store stuff there. Use the obelisk for basic supplies and food/kibble you want to transfer over.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Saddles are stored separately as items in the big empty space above the buttons for storing dinos and yourself; storing a dino drops all the items they had on them in a little bag like the loot bag from when you die and your body disappears.

If you are putting items where it says "Summon Broodmother" they are not actually being stored in the obelisk.

Oh. Okay, I'll have to check that out when I can, then. Thanks for the warning. Is there any limit to stored critters, by the way?

• Options
    There is also Kronos' Trade Center v1.18 (a work in progress).

Also, I love the War Map, so this might be cool . . .

Oh. Okay, I'll have to check that out when I can, then. Thanks for the warning. Is there any limit to stored critters, by the way?

100 stored critters per player account. So like, if you had multiple dinos from multiple servers and single player all stored in the ob, they would have to be 100 or less.

But you can totally own more than 100 . . .

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Nothing stops you from storing a bunch, then pulling them out in your single player game, then storing more too. Easy enough to spawn a whole mess of walls in single player to make a pen so the few minutes things are active doesn't end up with a rogue rex eating something (or just forcetame a dozen alpha rexes and set them on aggressive patrol, solving the issue).

Just be sure to use the console save command before you quit so nothing gets lost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I could have sworn I saw a pipe and wire mod on steam. While it doesn't make them always flush to the ground, there WERE a bunch more shapes and sizes so that they can be designed better. Like 1/2 sized pipes and 1/4 sized pipes and different angles and stuff.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I could have sworn I saw a pipe and wire mod on steam. While it doesn't make them always flush to the ground, there WERE a bunch more shapes and sizes so that they can be designed better. Like 1/2 sized pipes and 1/4 sized pipes and different angles and stuff.

Probably this one.
    Why yes, I do have these all favorited and easily found, why do you ask?

• Options

Probably this one.

Yeah sorry if there was confusion in my post. I was asking for ideas similar to that one that you guys would like to see. One thing I've been thinking about is a stairs mod. Which I found one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520879363&searchtext=stairs

Looks super well done. One thing I was tempted to try to do is a powered zipline or gondola mod based off their elevator code.

• Options
    If we're talking mods/changes I'd like to see: Elevator mod that just has a motor and tracks vs every track needing such absurd requirements. Expensive motor and pad, cheap track.

Tho if you're looking for an exciting project, let's see some Monorails! Our island should have better mass transit than my hometown

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Probably this one.

Yeah sorry if there was confusion in my post. I was asking for ideas similar to that one that you guys would like to see. One thing I've been thinking about is a stairs mod. Which I found one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520879363&searchtext=stairs

Looks super well done. One thing I was tempted to try to do is a powered zipline or gondola mod based off their elevator code.

I would love a gondola of some kind. That would be god damn magnificent.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    So to follow up on that idea now that I've thought about it more:
    • Two different car types. Closed monorails, and open platform cars.
      The closed cars would probably travel faster and have a lower weight limit, suitable just for people. Platform cars would ideally have a much higher weight limit, and be much larger, but be slower. Ideal for transporting herds of smaller dinos or a few large ones without worrying about pathing/getting lost. Alternatively, if I can build some sort of storage functionality in, have a "cargo" bay as well.
    • Cars would run on gasoline.
    • The track would also be have the option to be powered.
      Each track piece would have a places crafted lights to be attached.
    • Track sections would come in the following configurations: 1, 2 and 4 foundation length straight pieces. 2x2 and 4x4 90 degree turns. 2x2 and 4x4 45 degree turns, 1, 2 and 4 piece inclines (moving up one foundation level each piece, meaning the largest would effectively be a 4 out, 1 up piece for a nice gradual slope).
    • Every 16 (up for balancing debate) lengths of track would require a support pillar or foundation under it. New monorail pillars would also come in a 1, 2, 4 height option to cut down on mats/cost/frustration for super long tram lines.
    • As a stretch goal, some sort of switch track and signal block system so you could run multiple cars on a single line.

What am I missing? What else would you like to see?

Mvrck on
  • Options
      The closed cars would probably travel faster and have a lower weight limit, suitable just for people. Platform cars would ideally have a much higher weight limit, and be much larger, but be slower. Ideal for transporting herds of smaller dinos or a few large ones without worrying about pathing/getting lost. Alternatively, if I can build some sort of storage functionality in, have a "cargo" bay as well.
    • Track sections would come in the following configurations: 1, 2 and 4 foundation length straight pieces. 2x2 and 4x4 90 degree turns. 2x2 and 4x4 45 degree turns, 1, 2 and 4 piece inclines (moving up one foundation level each piece, meaning the largest would effectively be a 4 out, 1 up piece for a nice gradual slope).
    • Every 16 (up for balancing debate) lengths of track would require a support pillar or foundation under it. New monorail pillars would also come in a 1, 2, 4 height option to cut down on mats/cost/frustration for super long tram lines.
    • As a stretch goal, some sort of switch track and signal block system so you could run multiple cars on a single line.

Would cars be able to couple? What would be the max cars coupled? If one car was weighted down to much, would the whole thing not move?

• Options
    I'm going to say no coupling for now, since I'll largely be adapting the elevator and track code and just applying it to new models/directions. The cars will be fairly large though.

• Options
    So an issue with the bridges mod is making a single piece so long that you can lose sight/loading on the start point of the piece, which means the bit below you vanishes because it stops being loaded. A similar issue could occur with monorail stuff. Also, if it's powered and you leave loading range of the generator, what happens?

As far as crazy wishlist stuff, let's get all Flintstones with it. Can we find a way to put dinos in a wheel and use that to power stuff? Or waterwheels?

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Would the trolley speed be based on the car used, or it's total weight? (no idea how things like this usually work)

Also, talking about this makes me wish there were ways to add non-gas power sources for things, like water- and windmills, or a turnstyle you can hook up a couple of Smaller-than-a-Carno mounts to turn and produce kinetic energy to run something like this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jinx.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So an issue with the bridges mod is making a single piece so long that you can lose sight/loading on the start point of the piece, which means the bit below you vanishes because it stops being loaded. A similar issue could occur with monorail stuff. Also, if it's powered and you leave loading range of the generator, what happens?

As far as crazy wishlist stuff, let's get all Flintstones with it. Can we find a way to put dinos in a wheel and use that to power stuff? Or waterwheels?

Hmm, the power thing might need some testing. As I said above, the cars themselves would be self powered with gasoline to move. Already was concerned about someone being midway between destinations and the gas at one end died, leaving them stranded.

The other power bit was just for doing lights on the track, but honestly, I could just do the lights and say screw the power requirement. Maybe add some solar panels and up the cost a little in terms of crystal/electronics.

• Options
    Water power would be great. No gasoline dependency! And I like to set up near water anyway.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Foefaller wrote: »

Would the trolley speed be based on the car used, or it's total weight? (no idea how things like this usually work)

Also, talking about this makes me wish there were ways to add non-gas power sources for things, like water- and windmills, or a turnstyle you can hook up a couple of Smaller-than-a-Carno mounts to turn and produce kinetic energy to run something like this.

Ideally speed would be a factor of weight. The goal being a fully loaded platform car with say, a bronto or two on it, would still move slightly faster than riding speed. Most of the time you save will be avoiding terrain and traveling in straight lines.

The actual monorail cars would be much quicker.

Edit: As to the power, that wouldn't actually be hard to do. Just copy most of the generator code over to a windmill/water wheel structure and remove the gas requirement. I can look at doing that as well.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Edit: As to the power, that wouldn't actually be hard to do. Just copy most of the generator code over to a windmill/water wheel structure and remove the gas requirement. I can look at doing that as well.

Can probably make the waterwheel only buildable in water. Dunno about windmills. Maybe they detect height?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    As long as I am listing off random things that are probably modded already...

Electric wall torches/light bulbs. Preferably ones that aren't as bright as the fucking sun.

Because I am planning to light my new place with angler gel and wall torches, because omni-lamps are insane.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    You mean just dimmer lights basically?

• Options
    Yeah. Right now Omni-lamps are so powerful that they can be blinding, and a quirk of the engine means it's actually better to place them outside, and the light bleeds through stone walls to light the indoors.

They are apparently adding in some kind of oil lamp later.

• Options
    Looks like there are a few light mods, but nothing wall mountable, just clones of the existing lights. Are there any items besides the War Map that can get attached to walls? Can ladders?

• Options

Can probably make the waterwheel only buildable in water. Dunno about windmills. Maybe they detect height?

More power at a higher elevation could be neat.

• Options

More power at a higher elevation could be neat.

Yeah but power in the game right now is a yes/no thing. If you have it, there is no limit to how much electronic stuff you can use.

Water on the other hand has a speed at which it refills things like the industrial cooker.

Oh, another windmill idea, a wind-powered water well, for places you can't reach water with pipes.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    As long as I am on the topic I am iffy about that pipe mod. It apparently caused some issues a bit back and he's also stated he's not updating it much at this point.

Mods are great but the more we add, the more stuff has to update every time the game itself updates. And the more risk of something conflicting and causing problems.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Looks like there are a few light mods, but nothing wall mountable, just clones of the existing lights. Are there any items besides the War Map that can get attached to walls? Can ladders?

Ladders. And wall mounted torches.

• Options

Ladders. And wall mounted torches.

Trophy Mounts as well, and signs.

• Options
    As long as I am on the topic I am iffy about that pipe mod. It apparently caused some issues a bit back and he's also stated he's not updating it much at this point.

Mods are great but the more we add, the more stuff has to update every time the game itself updates. And the more risk of something conflicting and causing problems.

All right. Well I can also do a version of the pipe/electric mod if that would make you more comfortable. Maybe just make it an overall "utility" mod. Different pipes, power, the monorails and windmills/water wheels, better wall mounted lighting.

Had a little bit of time here at work to quick mock up what I would expect with the monorail:
    9toM2Ge.jpg

Passenger car on the bottom, larger platform car runs on top so you can double up on one track right out of the gate.

• Options
    I'm not too worried about pipes for now. But I do like the idea of 90 degree turn pieces, and half-length pipes.

The server is going to start out very light on mods, and I'll probably add a few more as time goes on.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I would like pipe connectors that let you rotate the piece you're connecting into any direction, and wires that act like wires. I liked the way Fallout 4 handled wires, where you select 2 things and a wire strings between them. You could put conduits up to string wire around a room or whatever.

• Options
    If anyone is gonna end up having a spare semi-competent beaver to give away before the server closes lemme know. I might still log in and tame one at some point, but if someone is just gonna be junking 100s of eugenics rejects over the next month I'll take one :)

steam_sig.png