As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Non-spoiler thread

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    the thing is, Anakin Skywalker was known for actually giving a shit about the 501st, unlike some of his fellow Jedi.

and in ANH, when trooper officers tell him things, he listens.

I would argue that Vader still 'cares' more about troopers than any of the officers as well. We don't see him kill any storm troopers, and actually see him boots-on-the-ground with them at the start of two of the movies.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I don't think Vader or Palpatine really care about looking professional. 99.9% of the imperial military are as disposable as the Clones were. You can't really judge either of them as you would a General, or President or Dictator.

It's certainly possible. Except the Emperor, for the short period of time he's actually on screen, doesn't behave unprofessionally (he barely behaves at all in a public setting). He doesn't murder the Death Star's commander for being behind on a fake schedule, he doesn't fry the troops he's reviewing on his arrival. He barely interacts with them at all, which is actually not surprising considering he's the commander-in-chief, and there's a variety of mechanisms that let him make direct orders when he desires as efficiently as possible ("Start blowing up the enemy fleet." "Yes, Your Majesty.").

And since they're very blatantly styled after the Second World War military forces of Germany and Great Britain, the Empire's military forces all actually generally behave in a very professional, disciplined matter (and similarly conservative and inflexible). They also lose constantly because the plot necessitates it, but it doesn't the fact that 99.9% of the military puts a lot of work into looking and behaving professional (as much as they actually spend fighting). No one else is busy trying to murder anyone else who screws up, because that's pretty much just Darth Vader's thing.
    the thing is, Anakin Skywalker was known for actually giving a shit about the 501st, unlike some of his fellow Jedi.

and in ANH, when trooper officers tell him things, he listens.

I would argue that Vader still 'cares' more about troopers than any of the officers as well. We don't see him kill any storm troopers, and actually see him boots-on-the-ground with them at the start of two of the movies.

By the same case, when a Fighter Corps (or whatever it's called) officer warned Vader--"We've counted thirty rebel ships, but they're so small..."--he immediately listens to him and orders the fighters to launch. I think it was explained that this officer was one of said pilots who launched in the first wave (Vader later speaks to two pilots in gear before he personally enters the fray). It's possible Darth Vader has a certain fondness/whatever towards Stormtrooper and flying officers (in both cases, the people speaking to Vader are established as commissioned officers, which makes sense) or the services in general (since he used to fly and chop people's arms off). It would fit with the notion of him being a great warrior rather than a leader.

On the other hand, if a squadron commander somehow failed (for example, lost the Falcon in pursuit in TESB), and the commander apologized in person, no one would be very surprised if Vader snapped his neck and then threw out some witty rejoinder.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Using for Force for anything, even seething in the Darkside, takes focus, control and a clear mind. I would argue that killing his father, getting shot, having his pride questioned by his mind probe being rebounded, and his general "I'm having a VERY bad day" state by the end of the movie has weakened him considerably. He's visibly sweating and bleeding, and he has trouble pulling the blue Saber to his hand.

Counterpoint: At the end of Jedi Luke beats down Vader while having a frothing at the mouth rage attack after Vader mentions Leia. I've seen kids going after piñatas that had better swings.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dark side also needs to be focused, just it's focused hate and rage.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Has the "lightsabers are hard to use" thing shown up in any of the new canon?

I'm thinking that like Luke, we need to unlearn what we have learned.

• Options

Think it depends on the details. They're easy enough to turn on, and I think you'd probably have to be a moron to run the risk of chopping off your own limbs when using one. OTOH, it's more or less a massless blade that cuts through anything, so getting the hang of how it handles would take time and a lot of instincts would probably be dead wrong with the thing. As far as dangerous goes, I think property damage and any poor saps standing nearby would issues if you had it on and you weren't actively fighting someone. Just normal movement of the blade that you wouldn't think twice about for something more mundane would lead to problems.

• Options

We see more than one Non-Jedi use a lightsaber or the darksaber in Clone Wars.

• Options
    The darksaber might not be the best example. The only person I remember using that was
    Mandalorian rebel asshole dude
    . Not a Jedi, but definitely fighter class and high enough level to have taken Exotic Weapon (lightsaber) as a feat.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The old EU was littered with examples of normals using lightsabers to varying degrees of effectiveness.

The idea that lightsabers were hard to use didn't really make it out of the 80's. Even the old d6 RPG let non-Force users learn the proper skill, they just didn't get to add all their swanky power bonuses to it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The old EU was littered with examples of normals using lightsabers to varying degrees of effectiveness.

The idea that lightsabers were hard to use didn't really make it out of the 80's. Even the old d6 RPG let non-Force users learn the proper skill, they just didn't get to add all their swanky power bonuses to it.

The old expanded universe also built upon the idea that some long-ass time ago (well, millennia at least) lightsabers were a well-established if not hugely popular school of weapons-based martial arts. At some point, the Jedi adopted it formally (and for a few years, the original lightsaber martial art and the Jedi combat school coexisted). The original practioners didn't use the force or anything of the sort, they simply practiced rigorously like any other weapons-based martial art (and probably hurt themselves occasionally).

At least, I think that was the direction, at least for a while.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hmm, not familiar with that one, but it stinks of somebody wanting to have lightsaber battles without the Jedi/Sith baggage.

• Options
    The novelization or radio play of ANH has Obi-Wan mention that lightsabers were still a popular 'side-arm' in some distant portions of the galaxy. We don't see Finn blocking blasterbolts or doing any flippy spin moves. He's using the lightsaber like any solider with melee weapon training would. And the new cannon confirms that First Order Storm Troopers are given melee training.

• Options
    There were a couple of cultures that had their own lightsabers and used them like rapiers to do courtly dueling stuff. Without the Force.

I'm not sure I recall the pre-Jedi lightsaber martial arts stuff, though.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Lightfoils were similar weapons. But if you look at the practicality of a Lightsaber.

It's a weapon that can be used offensively and defensively. The blade is practically unbreakable, can strike from any angle, and given enough effort cut through anything. Now. Take that weapon and give it to someone who has trained for its use and its going to be a very effective weapon. Now that that weapon and give it to someone with training, enhanced strength, dexterity, speed, and reflexes that are literally precognitive. Well that becomes a different beast all together.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    The lightsaber is difficult to use defensively (unless you're talking about deflecting blaster shots). Any interaction with the business end of the weapon is likely to end in serious injury, if not amputation. It's not like a regular sword where light cuts or even hitting with the flat of the blade is at least possible. There's also the issue that parrying anything that's not another lightsaber is going to be 'interesting' as the severed end of the mundane weapon comes flying out at a tangent to the swing.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    After watching Magnificent Seven last night I can't help but think they could make a pretty good version of it set in the Star Wars galaxy
    Some asshole Imperial Admiral trying to extort a mining colony. Colony gets help from a Rebel who spies a chance to take out an admiral and help people
    Have the Seven be made of things like a Rebel soldier, a bounty hunter, a smuggler, a criminal, a couple of exotic aliens and a pilot etc and it'd be pretty great watching them take out a horde of stormtroopers

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    That was literally the plot of the very first Marvel Comics story after the adaption of the movie itself.
    (Okay, technically the second, but I consider the issue in-between as a prologue and setup for the three-issue arc that follows.)
    Stolen written by Howard Chaykin.
    Notably missing from your proposed Seven: lime-green anthropomorphic rabbit.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    GaryO wrote: »
    After watching Magnificent Seven last night I can't help but think they could make a pretty good version of it set in the Star Wars galaxy
    Some asshole Imperial Admiral trying to extort a mining colony. Colony gets help from a Rebel who spies a chance to take out an admiral and help people
    Have the Seven be made of things like a Rebel soldier, a bounty hunter, a smuggler, a criminal, a couple of exotic aliens and a pilot etc and it'd be pretty great watching them take out a horde of stormtroopers

Isn't Magnificent Seven basically a remake of The Seven Samurai? And if that's the case, what you want has already been done in Clone Wars, though this is based directly on Seven Samurai.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunters_(episode)

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    GaryO wrote: »

Isn't Magnificent Seven basically a remake of The Seven Samurai? And if that's the case, what you want has already been done in Clone Wars, though this is based directly on Seven Samurai.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunters_(episode)

It's a story that could easily work in any setting you'd care to mention. As a samurai movie, a western, sci-fi, pretty sure you could do it as a gang based urban crime drama with a little flexibility.
    "Small party of adventurers protect town from evil noble or orc army" is pretty much a staple of D&D or other tabletop RPGs.

see317 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    when I ran it in a D&D session, I wound up with only six PCs. The villager who hired them kept asking them if they couldn't find a seventh? "Is tradition."

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The episode had some direct shoutouts to the original movie. Ambo, the alien bounty hunter is from the "Kyuzo" species. Kyuzo is also the name of one of the main protagonists in the Kurosawa film.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I wish more Seven Samurai adaptations made an attempt at translating the symbolism of new technology in the hands of commoners being the downfall of the nobility skilled in the old ways.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The lightsaber is difficult to use defensively (unless you're talking about deflecting blaster shots). Any interaction with the business end of the weapon is likely to end in serious injury, if not amputation. It's not like a regular sword where light cuts or even hitting with the flat of the blade is at least possible. There's also the issue that parrying anything that's not another lightsaber is going to be 'interesting' as the severed end of the mundane weapon comes flying out at a tangent to the swing.

Yes, I meant blaster bolt deflection in-particular. Your typical mundane wouldn't be able to do that. That's why the precognative reflexes of a Jedi take the lightsaber to another level entirely. In the hands of a Jedi a lightsaber can trump the most popular type of weapon in the galaxy (exceptions vs overwhelming numbers).

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Think it depends on the details. They're easy enough to turn on, and I think you'd probably have to be a moron to run the risk of chopping off your own limbs when using one. OTOH, it's more or less a massless blade that cuts through anything, so getting the hang of how it handles would take time and a lot of instincts would probably be dead wrong with the thing. As far as dangerous goes, I think property damage and any poor saps standing nearby would issues if you had it on and you weren't actively fighting someone. Just normal movement of the blade that you wouldn't think twice about for something more mundane would lead to problems.

I think its the massless blade that would really be a large problem to anyone untrained trying to use it, and why you really would not expect anyone picking one up for the first time to win a fight against a trained user.

The untrained person is going to be swinging that thing around like a normal sword, putting far more oomph into every swing than is needed, and overextending on every blow and parry (and this is where the risk comes in, all it takes is overextending at a weird angle, and suddenly the lightsaber is clipping into your thigh).

They are going to leave a massive amount of openings in their stance, be a danger to themselves, and straight up not be able to keep up with the fight.

• Options
    An untrained person probably isn't going to know what swinging a sword feels like well enough to screw up their lightsaber use.

• Options
    Untrained in using a lightsaber. The thing we were discussing?

Untrained in a lightsaber doesn't mean they are untrained in using any other weapon. Rey is seen using her staff weapon, and Finn was a storm trooper so is at least quasi trained in melee weapons.

Neither of them would have been trained in a way that would allow them to pick up a lightsaber and use it at master level.

• Options
    There were a couple of cultures that had their own lightsabers and used them like rapiers to do courtly dueling stuff. Without the Force.

That might be what I was thinking of--in any case, the idea was that the Jedi adopted it from them.

Personally I don't mind--literally every religious order has copied traditions and regimens from their surroundings, if anything it makes the Jedi seem more believable as a religious order.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

That might be what I was thinking of--in any case, the idea was that the Jedi adopted it from them.

Personally I don't mind--literally every religious order has copied traditions and regimens from their surroundings, if anything it makes the Jedi seem more believable as a religious order.

If you are going from the comics (EU I think?)

They got the lightsabers from the first star empire, the weird eyeball guys that enslaved thousands of worlds, and used force users as hunting dogs, until they got cut off from the force themselves.

I think the original designs were dark side fueled things, that you had to tap into your rage and feed it via force into the hilt to get the blade to ignite. They managed to get a couple of those, and had their master smith tinker with them until they figured out a way to use them without having to fall to the dark side.

Same storyline where they sent any Jedi who fell to the dark side to live exiled on a moon.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

If you are going from the comics (EU I think?)

They got the lightsabers from the first star empire, the weird eyeball guys that enslaved thousands of worlds, and used force users as hunting dogs, until they got cut off from the force themselves.

I think the original designs were dark side fueled things, that you had to tap into your rage and feed it via force into the hilt to get the blade to ignite. They managed to get a couple of those, and had their master smith tinker with them until they figured out a way to use them without having to fall to the dark side.

Same storyline where they sent any Jedi who fell to the dark side to live exiled on a moon.

I have literally no idea. It was just something I remember alluded to in a few books. Not a comic, I think, since I never read any of those. Checking Wookieepedia, it does seem at some point the Rakata were retconned to have created the art--they were possibly my least favorite part of KOTOR that I remember, so I'm less impressed by that, but it probably made sense.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    honovere wrote: »

right, Luke wasn't conflicted when he was going bonkers on Vader

Kylo seemed to be experiencing a complicated set of emotions, along with a severe injury

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I dunno, you see them using their force powers pretty regularly while getting the crap kicked out of them throughout the series. Getting shot with a self cauterizing weapon, can't be that much worse for your concentration than getting dropped on your head onto a hard surface.

Morkath on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    He also just killed his dad...

Might be feeling a complicated set of emotions that maybe...just maybe distracts him.

That and a wound from a weapon that can take out multiple storm troopers at once.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Also, Kylo was a bad swordsman, full stop

Whether looking at the OT'S grounded fencing, the PT'S wuxia, or even the Clone Wars stuff currently in canon, Kylo Ren is not good with a lightsaber. He can hack down an unarmed prisoner just fine, and computer consoles crumple before him, but he fights like a LARPer when he's got an actual opponent

Rey, who appears to have actually had to defend her life, and Finn, a trained soldier, actually seem to know they're in a fight.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Whether looking at the OT'S grounded fencing, the PT'S wuxia, or even the Clone Wars stuff currently in canon, Kylo Ren is not good with a lightsaber. He can hack down an unarmed prisoner just fine, and computer consoles crumple before him, but he fights like a LARPer when he's got an actual opponent

Rey, who appears to have actually had to defend her life, and Finn, a trained soldier, actually seem to know they're in a fight.

Then how did he kill all the other jedi/jedi in training?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

He was merely the newest member of the Knights of Ren.

Doubt he did much outside of give Snoke and his boys the lowdown on the location and security and maybe strike down some of the less skilled trainees.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Ah, I was assuming he was kind of the leading force of that. Given he was shown center and the only one with a lightsaber, iirc?

e:
    According to wookipedia;
    Snoke turned Ben to the dark side, anointing him Kylo, master of the Knights of Ren, and ordered him to destroy Skywalker's revived Jedi Order. Though Ren succeeded in slaughtering the entirety of the fledgling Jedi Order, Skywalker managed to escape into hiding

Morkath on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

He was merely the newest member of the Knights of Ren.

Doubt he did much outside of give Snoke and his boys the lowdown on the location and security and maybe strike down some of the less skilled trainees.

I mean, wouldn't be hard to murder a bunch of people he Force Stasised either. Especially if they weren't expecting it.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I'll admit that I haven't consumed all the ancillary media as of yet, but I know Snoke had been operating the Knights of Ren for years before he was able to seduce/corrupt Ben Solo.

Kylo is referred to as I think "a" master of the Knights, not "the" master. And I could see Snoke appointing him leader for that raid since Luke would probably hesitate quite a bit to harm or kill him.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.