As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't [Hateful 8] the Playa (SPOILERS)

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
Yes, the thread title is a particularly stupid pun, shut up, no u.

This is where we go to talk about Quentin Tarantino's most newest movie, The Hateful 8, starring eight people who, I am to understand, do not care for one another very much.

No spoiler tags necessary in here, so if you don't want shit spoiled, this is not the place for you.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It turns out 5 of them liked each other.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I thought it was really great. Someone in the general movies thread said he didn't notice accent shifts, but Tim Roth's character definitely had a more proletariat accent after being shot.

I still think despite how genuinely unlikable all the characters were, and their ultimate fate, Inglorious Basterds was a more bleak movie. At the end of this, all the characters at least overcame their differences and hanged a horrible white woman in some kind of attempt at justice. It was dark, but simultaneously uplifting.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I thought this was his funniest movie in a long time. When Ruth meets up with Oswaldo, that is some funny shit. Daisy's first line is some funny shit. Ruth yanking on his beard is some funny shit. O.B. being totally pissed and freezing is some funny shit. Warren and Mannix in the carriage is some funny shit.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah this was a very good movie. It was entertaining and moved at a solid clip, especially considering the run time. I'd say there were a few flaws that stop it from being a true masterpiece, but that's a pretty high bar. I also managed to see it in the 70mm format, and I'd agree that there are some shots which really take advantage of the wider aspect ratio. Like, there are frames which place characters on the far edges of the screen. I'm not sure it would be the same movie if it's scaled down to a different aspect ratio...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I still laugh that Ruth didn't trust either mannix or marquis and yet it was everyone at the haberdashery that was out to kill him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I still laugh that Ruth didn't trust either mannix or marquis and yet it was everyone at the haberdashery that was out to kill him.

nah he pretty much said off the bat that he didn't trust anyone in the Haberdashery either, he just didn't have the choise to keep going to kicking them out. Made sure to grab their guns though.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I thought it was really great. Someone in the general movies thread said he didn't notice accent shifts, but Tim Roth's character definitely had a more proletariat accent after being shot.

I still think despite how genuinely unlikable all the characters were, and their ultimate fate, Inglorious Basterds was a more bleak movie. At the end of this, all the characters at least overcame their differences and hanged a horrible white woman in some kind of attempt at justice. It was dark, but simultaneously uplifting.

They certainly "uplifted" her, yes.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Mean bastards you gotta hang.

One thing I realized walking out of the theatre, Warren's story of raping the General's son was a lie. He's totally bullshiting to get Sutherford to go for the gun. What tipped me off was that Warren gave zero details about the son that he couldn't have overheard.

And he's not exactly beyond lying to manipulate dumbass white people.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I saw this over the weekend, and I must say, all blockbuster movies should have roadshows. The intermission, the lack of previews, the beautiful wide screen, and even the playbill, it felt like I was going to an event, not a movie. More movies need to be shown this way.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reb74Elx83E&feature=youtu.be

I haven't made it all the way through this but it's a bit about working on the set and the difference between this movie and the typical setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hINYm034EA

There's also one with Tarantino but that's about an hour of interview all together.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The thing that stuck me the most about the movie is how easily it could be turned into a tabletop RPG kind of thing.

Or, alternatively, as s video game, a sort of procedural adventure game. Random characters every time, you know.

Yeah, I think about games too much, haha.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The thing that stuck me the most about the movie is how easily it could be turned into a tabletop RPG kind of thing.

Or, alternatively, as s video game, a sort of procedural adventure game. Random characters every time, you know.

Yeah, I think about games too much, haha.

51K51ZK07EL._SY300_.jpg?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

One thing I realized walking out of the theatre, Warren's story of raping the General's son was a lie. He's totally bullshiting to get Sutherford to go for the gun. What tipped me off was that Warren gave zero details about the son that he couldn't have overheard.

I dunno with this particular lie we're shown him doing it. It's not exactly cut and dry that he didn't rape the generals son.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I dunno with this particular lie we're shown him doing it. It's not exactly cut and dry that he didn't rape the generals son.

It's just a bit too convenient. More likely he saw this ass hole and thought to himself 'bet I can get him to pick up a gun'.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, I don't think we can say definitively one way or the other if he was bullshitting. That scene simply could have been Sutherford imagining it happening, which would align nicely with one of the major themes running throughout the movie: the nature of belief and how experience/assumptions cloud that. Sutherford didn't necessarily want for this to be true, but based on his perception of Warren it was plausible.

• Options

I definitely think it's meant to be ambiguous. He does give a physical description of the guys kid but I don't remember if that was mentioned before he might have overheard. The entire elaborate story seemed pretty outlandish for the guy who never bothers to take people alive since killing them quick is less risky.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The one plot hole that I wanted solved in Hateful 8 - how did Jackson make it to the bed without getting killed?
    One scene ends with him being shot from below, falling onto the ground; the next scene (with him) starts with him on the bed.
    Aka, why wasn't Jackson shot a few more times, whilst on the ground, as he didn't fall very far, well within line of sight.

And one criticism - the superfluous narration to start the second half. Obvious flashback is obvious.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

You aren't shown, its the father picturing it, This is why Warren says "seeing pictures?". It's meant to ensure that you don't know if it happened or not. We also get a real time jump per QT's normal style, this wasn't like that. This is more like the pulp fiction hypothetical scene where the wife comes home and sees the body.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You aren't shown, its the father picturing it, This is why Warren says "seeing pictures?". It's meant to ensure that you don't know if it happened or not. We also get a real time jump per QT's normal style, this wasn't like that. This is more like the pulp fiction hypothetical scene where the wife comes home and sees the body.

Still ambiguous to me. I could see him putting the shine on to get the general to pull on him. I could also see him wanting to do something to harm the man that murdered a bunch of black people in cold blood.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Still ambiguous to me. I could see him putting the shine on to get the general to pull on him. I could also see him wanting to do something to harm the man that murdered a bunch of black people in cold blood.

I think that last bit is absolutely true. If he doesn't go into it there is no way the general learns of it in that room and so nobody dies (well....) Warren clearly wanted to fucking cap the guy.

• Options
    Eh plenty of people were going to die even if Marquis doesn't shoot the General. Though I do have to laugh the first person to die after Ruth gets to the haberdashery is the one person not there to kill him.

Arsenic by the way, that's what my friends figured was the poison in the coffee. Its either that or hydrochloric acid that would make you spit up blood and since the coffee pot didn't leak I assume it was Arsenic.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    The one plot hole that I wanted solved in Hateful 8 - how did Jackson make it to the bed without getting killed?
    One scene ends with him being shot from below, falling onto the ground; the next scene (with him) starts with him on the bed.
    Aka, why wasn't Jackson shot a few more times, whilst on the ground, as he didn't fall very far, well within line of sight.

And one criticism - the superfluous narration to start the second half. Obvious flashback is obvious.

Nah the narration was Tarantino as fuck and I loved it. It is exactly the kind of excess I want and quite frankly expect in his movies.

Speaking of that scene the poison was hilarious. Absolutely no symptoms whatsoever so you assume he only had a sip and was OK, then BAM bloodvomit everywhere.

• Options
    I'd imagine the voice over would make more sense if you saw the roadshow version with the actual intermission between those chapters.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I talked about this a little in the SE thread but damn it was cool having an intermission and being able to talk with your friends about what might happen next (and be completely wrong about it).

I know very few films will do it in the future but I wish they would.

• Options
    Best part about the roadshow for me was no trailers and no commercials before the movie.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Its weird to me that that narration was kept in the regular version. Cause Tarantino is talking about a 15 minute break and all that

• Options
    Best part about the roadshow for me was no trailers and no commercials before the movie.

I like trailers, but yeah the pre-show advertising is awful.

Need Drafthouse pre-shows at all theaters!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'd imagine the voice over would make more sense if you saw the roadshow version with the actual intermission between those chapters.

Yep. It was really dumb in the regular showing.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

I like trailers, but yeah the pre-show advertising is awful.

Need Drafthouse pre-shows at all theaters!

I don't like Trailers anymore because with youtube I've seen every trailer I want to see prior to seeing any movie. I mean sure there is "seeing it on the big screen" but eh for a trailer its not that big of a thing its an advertisement, and with like star wars I had to sit through thirty plus minutes of them its more than a little obnoxious.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    SW Trailer were awfuil becasue they were all for movies coming out in the deadzone of Spring

• Options
    We got a trailer for a romantic comedy/tragedy before Hateful 8.

Also "Jane Got a Gun" which is in the running for worst movie title ever.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I did miss a little of the recap wth the narration because i got back late from the intermission

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    We got a trailer for a romantic comedy/tragedy before Hateful 8.

Also "Jane Got a Gun" which is in the running for worst movie title ever.

Jane Got a Gun was in development hell and it shows. It looks like an even worse version of that January Jones western if that was possible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Its weird to me that that narration was kept in the regular version. Cause Tarantino is talking about a 15 minute break and all that

Watching the roadshow I went "oh I wonder if this is the x extra minutes of footage". Surprising that its in the regular release.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I didn't have a problem with the narration so much as it wasn't used consistently. When it showed up, it hadn't been used before, so it was jarring. Also, there are events which Tarantino narrates which could've been shown rather than told. It may have been a run time issue or a too-much-perspective-switching issue (or maybe just a "I want people to focus on that crazy ass story and not on what's happening in the cabin" issue). I think I would've preferred if he figured out a way to just show all that stuff as opposed to hearing Tarantino talk about it and then go over-the-top with the murder mansion "who could it have been?!??!" segue.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    There unusually a few ambiguous things in a QT movie that don't have a correct real/fake answer. The big two in this one were rape story and sherrif story. I know he specifically said the sheriff could go either way.

• Options
    I tend to believe Mannix's story, otherwise I don't have any damned clue what he would be doing up there in wyoming.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I tend to believe Mannix's story, otherwise I don't have any damned clue what he would be doing up there in wyoming.

Looking for a black general with a bounty on his head?

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Looking for a black general with a bounty on his head?

Nah he turned to helping pretty fast when he could have just walked away. I get the impression Mannix is honest if not a bit slow. I can't recall him really lying about anything in the movie?

Like he was proud of what he and his family did and did not hide from it with Marquis and Ruth when he had every reason to claim "oh no not that Chris Mannix!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I knew once they cast Walton Goggins that he was gonna play a sumbitch who I hated at first and then somehow grew on me until I loved him forever and ever.