As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Planescape Torment question

hambonehambone Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I wasin the Hive/Ragpicker's/Undercity, about to go down into the crypts, when I made a huge mistake. In making inventory room, I accidentally equipped a cursed dagger that sends TNO into a berserker rage every time there's a fight.

This is bad, because:
a) I'm playing a mage
b) I kill everything in sight, including bystanders and party members
c) I have no idea how to get rid of this curse.

Can someone help me out here? I'd hate to go through the whole catacombs/dead nations/drowned nations sequence with this crap.

Where, in the Hive or the undercity, can I get curses removed?

I've checked with Mebbeth, and the priest in the cathedral in the Alley of Dangerous Angles. No luck.

Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
hambone on

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tsk Tsk Dave - palming it off to gamefaqs? Shouldn't you know the answer straight away?

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    edited April 2007

:|

As if I hadn't checked there already, thanks.

Now can anyone give me a real answer?

hambone on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you know the remove curse spell? Because that, you know, removes curses. I recall getting it pretty early in the game though I'll be damned if I can remember where.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Have you considered killing yourself?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rhaka wrote: »
    Do you know the remove curse spell?

Yeah, I have it, just too low level to cast it. I was hoping maybe there was a vendor I didn't know about that cast it for you.

I guess I can grind on some hive thugs until I can cast it, hopefully without slaughtering the entire city. I've already been mazed once for my inadvertent killing sprees.

hambone on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »

Yeah, I have it, just too low level to cast it. I was hoping maybe there was a vendor I didn't know about that cast it for you.

I guess I can grind on some hive thugs until I can cast it, hopefully without slaughtering the entire city. I've already been mazed once for my inadvertent killing sprees.

Why not just read off the scroll? You dont need levels to cast from a scroll.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »

Why not just read off the scroll? You dont need levels to cast from a scroll.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    uzurpatoruzurpator Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mebbet @ ragpicker's square may be able to help you. She resides in one of the houses.

uzurpator on
    G
  • Options
    RPGeekRPGeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the skeleton priest in the crypts can deal with that, actually.

RPGeek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Why not just read off the scroll?

Does someone in the Hive sell another scroll? Because Mebbeth only sells one, and I already put that in my spellbook.

hambone on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you have Grace in your party?

Wait, you get her after the Hive/Undercity...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doesn't Mebbeth offer normal temple services as well as scrolls? Remove Curse should be one of them. It's been a while since I've played it, so I could be way off.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you have aready visited the Dead Nations the skeleton priest who acts as the voice for the slient god should be able to do the job.

If that doesn't work then try one of these:

1. Get mazed again and wait for the shadows to arrive. Then fight until you die. The dagger may come loose upon death.

2. Try the mage who lives in the house to the left of the Dustman's morgue. I forget the exact name of it but is the building the game starts in.

3. Try the old hag who is stirpping bodies of their belongs down in the undercity.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, I did it. I levelled up on hive thugs and quests enough to cast the spell. Thanks for the help guys.

hambone on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to revive such an old thread but I'm having a problem

I'm at the point where I'm trying to get to Ravel but I'm still in the Lower/Clerks Ward area. For some reason I cant talk to Morte and Annah anymore even if I leave into different areas. Everyone else is fine but these two, he just doesn't activate the convo thing. Is this a known bug or any other ideas?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That kind of thing is common in Infinity Engine games. Couldn't tell you a specific workaround though, sorry. Try letting them get killed and resurrecting?

captaink on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've had this happen to me alot so far. Just quicksave or some other form, then load. It should work again.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Best answer of the goddamned thread.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks guys, it was just a matter of quitting then starting again though reloading a game probably would have worked as well.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Best answer of the goddamned thread.

IT HAS TWO MEANINGS!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So I have some questions now I've completed the game. Story questions that is.
    1: We never learn what it is that the first incarnation did to warrant such a terrible fate he would seek Immortality to escape it. However its greater than all his other incarnations wrong-doings combined including creating Ignus and sacrificing Deonarra on purpose. However I remember one story during the game, I can't remember if it was a sensory stone or a tale told by Yves but it involved some high ranking soldier giving hte command to follow his Kings orders and wipe out what sounded like a civilisation which he profoundly regretted and lived with by pretending the city had been filled only with traitors and murderers.

Now it might just have been a tale but considering most legends in the game world seem to have involved the Nameless One in some form, it seems possible it was him in his first role. Especially since i think he turned up to meet Reval with soldiers in tow.

2: What hapenned to Fork Tongue? Trias warned me about him after I killed him and it showed a little cutscene saying he was freed but I never saw him again after that.

3: How does his immortality work. I could never figure out why there are seperate bodies such as the one whose arm you take when he wakes up with his body elsewhere. Plus if he can heal so well, why is he covered in scars. And why is the first incarnation so fucked up looking as the last?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkWarrior has clearly forgotten that their is no spoon.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If we're on the Planscape topic, Im having some problems in
    The Angels Prison

Is the problem im just too low level? Everything is kicking my ass and I have nowhere I can level. Im playing a Mage and Im level 11 and everyone else is around 9 or 10. Basically Im out of spells, all my party members are dead, and I have low health. Now i have to kill like 20 guards to find a key to the sword.

Burgu on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I left my party behind and just got hits in before I died, then rezzed and went back and got more hits, etc.

It sucked, but it worked.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    As a higher-level mage, I killed every guard there without dying.
    Then I got the key and they all respawned :(

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    1: We never learn what it is that the first incarnation did to warrant such a terrible fate he would seek Immortality to escape it. However its greater than all his other incarnations wrong-doings combined including creating Ignus and sacrificing Deonarra on purpose. However I remember one story during the game, I can't remember if it was a sensory stone or a tale told by Yves but it involved some high ranking soldier giving hte command to follow his Kings orders and wipe out what sounded like a civilisation which he profoundly regretted and lived with by pretending the city had been filled only with traitors and murderers.

Now it might just have been a tale but considering most legends in the game world seem to have involved the Nameless One in some form, it seems possible it was him in his first role. Especially since i think he turned up to meet Reval with soldiers in tow.

2: What hapenned to Fork Tongue? Trias warned me about him after I killed him and it showed a little cutscene saying he was freed but I never saw him again after that.

3: How does his immortality work. I could never figure out why there are seperate bodies such as the one whose arm you take when he wakes up with his body elsewhere. Plus if he can heal so well, why is he covered in scars. And why is the first incarnation so fucked up looking as the last?
    I'll answer a few of your questions to the best of my abilities (and memory).
    1. What kind of sin that TNOcommited is never explained but the first incarnation tells you that the great sin he commited was of such a magnitude that the Planes themselves felt it so it must have been something far greater than just wiping a civilization off the "map". I've heard speculations from other forums that TNO may have been involved in the incitement of the Bloodwar somehow, but I think that is just some overeager speculation going on there.

2. TNO probably signed on for the Bloodwars at some point to Fhjull, that's why he feels that he's seen TNO before. As for the warning, maybe Fhjull will be waiting meet TNO in the Bloodwars in order to get a little payback?

3. TNO can recover from the most gruesome injuries, even to the point that he can graft other peoples limbs onto him if he would lose on of his orignal ones but one thing you have to remember though is that he's probably been going on like that for eons, which shows in his blood as it is a thick, turgid mass by now. Regeneration only goes that far, it can heal him but it won't remove deep scarring and TNO various incarnations have sometimes died in a lot of gruesome ways during his "life".

Silpheed on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

1. What kind of sin that TNOcommited is never explained but the first incarnation tells you that the great sin he commited was of such a magnitude that the Planes themselves felt it so it must have been something far greater than just wiping a civilization off the "map". I've heard speculations from other forums that TNO may have been involved in the incitement of the Bloodwar somehow, but I think that is just some overeager speculation going on there.

2. TNO probably signed on for the Bloodwars at some point to Fhjull, that's why he feels that he's seen TNO before. As for the warning, maybe Fhjull will be waiting meet TNO in the Bloodwars in order to get a little payback?

3. TNO can recover from the most gruesome injuries, even to the point that he can graft other peoples limbs onto him if he would lose on of his orignal ones but one thing you have to remember though is that he's probably been going on like that for eons, which shows in his blood as it is a thick, turgid mass by now. Regeneration only goes that far, it can heal him but it won't remove deep scarring and TNO various incarnations have sometimes died in a lot of gruesome ways during his "life".
    Is there any clear indication that TNO has been immortal for that long? Two of the incarnations he has strong memories from were around recently enough to provide leftover traces of their existence, and Ravel probably wouldn't have been able to keep slaughtering people for not being TNO for very long without getting mazed. It could actually be possible that he has only between immortal for only about 50 years or so, especially considering the short lifespans of some of his incarnations.

jothki on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Is there any clear indication that TNO has been immortal for that long? Two of the incarnations he has strong memories from were around recently enough to provide leftover traces of their existence, and Ravel probably wouldn't have been able to keep slaughtering people for not being TNO for very long without getting mazed. It could actually be possible that he has only between immortal for only about 50 years or so, especially considering the short lifespans of some of his incarnations.
    I recall that some of TNO's memories can be dated through several thousand years back but I'm not quite sure who you talk to when you find out about it. I think it was some historian or in the museum.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    jothki wrote: »

You can find a receipt left by one of your former selves that dates back over a century. Hes inspired a lot of the tales that people tell, left at least 4 life times of stories and Ravel was mazed. Thats where you meet her.

I think its just that recently hes been having the most impact thanks to the Practical incarnation and the Paranoid Incarnation.

But hes so old that most people have forgotten about him, so he is pretty old. I mean from what I gathered, he wanted to be immortal in the first place to give him enough time to do enough good deeds to make up for his one big one.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is there any real way to get out of Baator from the pillar without being raped incredibly over and over first by hundreds of demons?

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is there any real way to get out of Baatu from the pillar without being raped incredibly over and over first by hundreds of demons?

Run.
    You can. They can't.

You don't have to gather your party before adventuring forth. Abuse this.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    NO's crime is never explained because whatever crime is in the player's imagination will be worse than anything specific they can come up with.

Re: his age, again, it's never stated, just assumed to be a VERY LONG TIME

The seperate bodies (practical incarnation etc) aren't actualy physical bodies. I see it as more of a mental battle at that point.

Tube on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh god even after all of these years I love this game so much.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    NO's crime is never explained because whatever crime is in the player's imagination will be worse than anything specific they can come up with.

Re: his age, again, it's never stated, just assumed to be a VERY LONG TIME

The seperate bodies (practical incarnation etc) aren't actualy physical bodies. I see it as more of a mental battle at that point.

Nah theres one you take an arm off in the warrens.
    Though I can see more what you mean in that if the body is too greatly damaged, like disintegrated or what not, that a new body is made. Nothing weirded than creating a new man out of pure belief.

The bodies in the castle though were definetly split personas and not his old bodies. For one I can't see Paranoid having made it that far.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm up to
    Trias, part 2. Damn youuuuuuu!

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    AAAGAAGAHGHGHGHGAHAGAHGAHGAH

IT KICKED ME OUT OF THE GAME RIGHT AFTER DAKKON DIES IN THE FORT

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Noooooo I got a bad ending.

core tactic on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Uh. There's a bad ending?

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    august wrote: »
    Uh. There's a bad ending?

Yeah, but I just got the good ending after I equipped a tattoo that boosted my charisma.

Bad ending:
    Just kill your mortality

Good ending:
    Merge with your mortality and raise all your party members before leaving

core tactic on