As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Return of the King

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Games and Technology
This..is the new Legend of Zelda.

cvBTBGv.jpg

*record scratch noise*

Wait, no. Actually, this is it:

5pFsrob.jpg

This new chapter in the Zelda series will expand the boundaries of Hyrule. Previous Zelda games have tried to convey the feeling that you're part of a huge, living world, but this game looks to be the first one to deliver on that promise. Just like A Link Between Worlds, this game will also challenge the tried-and-true conventions of the Zelda series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmxvig1dXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFZIUdo764

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

After a long development process and several delays, the game has finally been released on March 3rd, 2017 worldwide on both Wii U and the Nintendo Switch. In terms of gameplay, both versions are identical, but the Switch version will feature better graphics, a more stable frame rate and a better draw distance.

A number of amiibo will be compatible with the game:

pkIpuk2.jpg

The Wolf Link amiibo, which originally came packaged with Twilight Princess HD, allows you to summon Wolf Link, who will accompany you on your adventure for a while. Wolf Link's health depends on the health you had when you cleared the Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

sVsXw26.jpg

The Zelda 30th anniversary amiibo allow you to get various items in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0mG0BOh4-A

Uxgup8A.jpg?1

Finally, five brand new amiibo will be released alongside Breath of the Wild. Their ingame functionality is currently not known.

A number of special editions for the game will also be released - however, only the Switch will get these. If you only own a Wii U, your only option is the standard edition.

PLV58yw.jpg?1

VlPg0nr.jpg?1

rqWI3v8.png?1

The Special and Master editions are being sold in North America while the Limited edition is exclusive to Europe; however, since the Switch is region-free, you could import the other versions.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MMMmmm....that new thread smell. Happy 30th Zelda!

We should all celebrate by telling our favorite Zelda memory! I'll go first!

It was 1986 and Dover was a mere 10-years old. My friend got an NES and told me about this Zelda game. I played it and instantly fell in love. When I finally got my own NES, I put an absurd amount of hours into the game trying to find all the hidden rupees, shops, and loot. This was way before the internet and the only legit source of info was Nintendo Power. After beating the game several times, I realized there was a second quest which changed not only the dungeons but the item locations on the overworld. Mind = Blown.

My favorite memory was finding and acquiring the Magical Sword in the graveyard. Yes, it was a simple thing, but the sense of satisfaction and raw damage I could now output was an overwhelmingly powerful feeling. I felt like I'd hit my hero status and could take on anything.

Add in the gold cartridge, map, and game manual extras (art/story) and you had the most perfectly created game to capture the heart and imagination of any young kid. Well done Nintendo, well done.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Once I got stuck in the water temple for four years

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I don't know if this is my favorite Zelda memory, but it is my first one.

It was (probably, who the hell remembers) January 1990. I had just gotten an NES for Christmas and my parents were taking me to Target to pick out some new games (to this day I don't know why - maybe they were on sale... it seemed like a super cool thing to do after I actually got quite a few games with my system at Christmas). This was back in the day when all the games were hung on pegs so you'd pick them up, look at the cover, look at the back of the box, and that was really all you had to go on. This was before anything like Nintendo Power even existed.

So immediately, eyes drawn to the big gold box (and I believe it even had the little windows to let you know the cart was gold... I know Zelda 1, forget if 2 did...). To get real technical, there were two gold boxes as I believe they had both Zelda 1 and 2, but you know, as a kid you are conditioned to automatically assume "2 is better than 1 because it's newer." Pick it up, flip it over. I had never heard of Zelda before, but the thing I remember immediately catching my eye is the back of the box has a picture of Link in one of the towns talking to a person saying "Hello." For some reason, that was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. I'd seen dialog in games before, but it's always the very scripted "Your princess is in another castle" type dialog that automatically happens when you beat a level or something. This was a game where you could go into a town and *talk* to people actively. It was something I had never seen before and it kind of blew my little mind :P I suppose this was me latching onto the RPG aspects of the game before I even knew what an RPG was or was at all interested in that genre (p.s. - thank you Secret of Mana for that, ironically a lot like Legend of Zelda :D)

So I got that game. To this day - my favorite Zelda game. I will totally admit it's not the best one, but it's still my favorite. I even later went back and got Zelda 1 based on how much I loved this game. Hilariously, I didn't like it as much, but I kind of knew that would be the case going in (I did still like it, don't get me wrong :P)

Supplemental memory - I was playing it before school one day and finally found the Raft in level 3. I was super proud of myself. During school, we had to form a sentence for some reason or another (you know, grammar stuff). Mine was "I found the raft in Zelda 2." The teacher looked at me like I was crazy :P Whatever, I was damn pleased so screw them!

Edit: Heh, now that I'm thinking of it, another small memory. I remember it took me forever to figure out how to get to the first palace. You need to take that dark cave with the single Lowder in it. I mean, your first instinct is, "This place is super dark! I shouldn't be here! Oh crap, something hit me and I can't see what, I REALLY shouldn't be here!" IMO, a little bit of bad game design there. But like I said, I know it's not the best Zelda game, but it's still my favorite :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    There is a possible leak that Zelda will come to Wii U and NX in holiday 2016.

nintengen.com/

That guy is on Neogaf, trying to get a mod to prove that his leak is legit.

Take this with a spoon of salt and if you value your brains, stay out of Neogaf. That place is quite something.

Maybe Nintendo tried to fill lack of Wii U exclusive LoZ with the two HD remasters and they try to get as much games for NX than possible. I don't mind, I just want to buy the new LoZ for Wii U. Hastier people can buy the NX version :)

So whaddya think? Is it an OUTRRRRRRAGE!!! to do this or do you want Nintendo to get a solid launch party with big titles (almost wrote boobs) for NX?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Personally, I just want a definite answer soon. A solid year of "well obviously the game will [x]" is wearying.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I would prefer an NX release

But I will take it on the Wii U if it's all I can get

• Options
    I don't know if the credibility of that is even worth bothering. I think literally everyone has been assuming that is 100% going to be the case.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    My favorite Zelda memory is pulling the sword from the stone in Skyward Sword. I mean sure, it's technically something you do in every Zelda game, but the fact that in Skyward Sword you actually do the motion yourself with the Wii Remote and Link mirrors it in the game turned it into something special.

• Options
    But in my actual opinion? Well, I'd prefer it on the Wii U, but I'll take it on the NX if it's all I can get.

I'd rather play it this year rather than whenever I decide to get an NX.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote: »
    There is a possible leak that Zelda will come to Wii U and NX in holiday 2016.

nintengen.com/

That guy is on Neogaf, trying to get a mod to prove that his leak is legit.

Take this with a spoon of salt and if you value your brains, stay out of Neogaf. That place is quite something.

Maybe Nintendo tried to fill lack of Wii U exclusive LoZ with the two HD remasters and they try to get as much games for NX than possible. I don't mind, I just want to buy the new LoZ for Wii U. Hastier people can buy the NX version :)

So whaddya think? Is it an OUTRRRRRRAGE!!! to do this or do you want Nintendo to get a solid launch party with big titles (almost wrote boobs) for NX?

Yeah, this is fake.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I expect them to release the next Zelda game on both the Wii U and the NX.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    If they do, I'll do what I did with Twilight Princess. That said, I remain skeptical in the absence of evidence.

Enlong on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Unless NX has uses a game pad or something similar I'll just get it on Wii U. And that's even knowing I'm going to get an NX.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Unlike last time around there shouldn't be a significant difference between versions, unless NX is really something crazy nobody expects.

We know it's designed to use the pad for your map and other functions, which have been demonstrably great to have in Wind Waker HD, OoT 3DS, and MM 3DS. If NX doesn't have a touch screen somehow, I don't know if I would even want that version.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Basically whichever one has the less gimmicky controls and better performance. If those two end up being on different sides of the equation, I'll just have to weigh it the way I see it

If the NX version looks or runs better, and doesn't have any gyroscope/touch pad stuff in it, that's my ideal version

If it looks or runs better, but does have that control stuff in it, I'll still get that version

If they look and run identical and play identical, I'll...still get the NX version

They'd have to really fuck up this potential NX version in ways I can't even understand for me to get the Wii U version

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If Zelda U is a dual release, doesn't that imply that the NX won't be backwards compatible?

And if the NX isn't backwards compatible, does that lend credence to the long running rumors that Nintendo will be switching from discs to flash memory in the next gen, as has been widely rumored?

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    If Zelda U is a dual release, doesn't that imply that the NX won't be backwards compatible?

Did the TP dual release imply Wii wasn't backwards compatible?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

No

Wii had GC BC, and there was a GC version of TP that I ran just fine on my Wii

• Options
    The way they could screw up an NX version for me is if they, say, make getting it into a several-hundred-dollar investment, as opposed to a sixty-dollar one.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    The way they could screw up an NX version for me is if they, say, make getting it into a several-hundred-dollar investment, as opposed to a sixty-dollar one.

Boy this sure doesn't make any sense at all

By this logic, TP GC cost $50 and Wii TP cost $300

• Options
    at the time? Yes. I had a GameCube and didn't have a Wii. Why should I buy a console to play a game I can play on its predecessor just fine?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Enlong wrote: »

Boy this sure doesn't make any sense at all

By this logic, TP GC cost $50 and Wii TP cost $300

I think the implication is that they decide not to release on Wii U after all and make it a forced incentive to buy NX.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    You shouldn't, I suppose

It didn't really screw up the Wii version of TP though

You just lacked the funds

• Options

You yourself just said the Gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess were significantly different, while the Wii U and NX versions of Zelda U shouldn't be.

If the NX is backwards compatible, Nintendo could just print "Also works with NX!" on the cover of the Wii U version. What is the benefit of the dual release, unless the NX is not backwards compatible?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I really don't care whether or not Wii U Zelda also ends up on NX or not, I'll just be ecstatic to finally know more about the game from E3.

The release of a new Zelda sort of makes every other piece of media released in that same time frame moot. Nothing else this year comes even remotely close to matching the levels of excitement that game has generated (sorry Fox).
    Double meaning there because of Starfox Zero and X-Men Age of Apocalypse, which is made by Fox. There is also the rumor of a new Tool album later this year and as exciting as that prospect is, its still just not on the level of a new adventure with Link.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited February 2016

You yourself just said the Gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess were significantly different, while the Wii U and NX versions of Zelda U shouldn't be.

If the NX is backwards compatible, Nintendo could just print "Also works with NX!" on the cover of the Wii U version. What is the benefit of the dual release, unless the NX is not backwards compatible?

I just don't think a dual release implies anything. Even if the versions aren't different at all, it's beneficial to Nintendo to be able to say "yes there is one other game we have available at launch" instead of just saying "buy the old one." The kind of difference that would be mostly insignificant to me is more sheen, 1080p instead of 720p or something. It's likely NX would have a difference like that to function as a minor selling point, but I want to play with a touch screen regardless.

And by the time we know whether it will even have a dual release or not, we should also know whether NX is backwards-compatible, no guessing needed.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    You shouldn't, I suppose

It didn't really screw up the Wii version of TP though

You just lacked the funds

Yes, in retrospect, my wording choice was an ill-fated attempt at being "clever".

What I should have just said from the start is that I can see no way that an hypothetical ZUNX can interest me, barring a very unlikely improvement in every aspect of the game.

And even then, it would only make me want to get it after the NX came out with several somethings unique to it that makes me want the system.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    We know it's coming out for the Wii U. They already reconfirmed it, and besides there's no way they'd be colossally short sighted as to piss their fanbase off by canceling it and going NX only.

We know it uses the gamepad. While this just means we'll find out if the NX has a gamepad as well or not, it also means - barring some huge ass gimmick changing tech out of nowhere - the game will probably play pretty much the same. Before you go "But Twilight Princess...", I'll get to that in a sec.

We know Nintendo puts more emphasis on style over raw horsepower. So there's little chance the game is going to look radically different or improved.

So all added up, there's not much to get in a real tizzy over. There's little reason to think a NX version would be the superior definitive version. Twilight Princess may have had some big differences, but it can also be argued it didn't. The graphics weren't that much improved other than the jump to... *cough* 480p... I don't imagine a lot of people used component cables with their GC or Wii, especially around that time frame. The big ass gimmick, motion controls, was practically waggle at its most derogatory, mapping shaking the remote to A. About the only major game changer was motion/pointer controls for aiming. Which have been adopted and standardized now.

And we're in the realm of super subjective opinions here, but it could be argued that the "lesser" version of TP was the superior one. No pointless waggle and no arbitrary 11th hour mirror world flip.

Really I guess the wildcard here is whether or not the NX has a typical Nintendo "out of fucking nowhere" wildcard gimmick. And this is Nintendo, so... probably. And whether this super gimmick is super enough to change Zelda and make that version the best. I have no imagination so I can't think of anything. Maybe Nintendo unveils their version of VR... and yeah, I heard you all snort from here. :P

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I think another major game changer aside from the motion/pointer controls was how you selected items. It wasn't as fast and seamless like it was in Skyward Sword, but it was pretty cool nonetheless. Flinging those bomb arrows about with such accuracy though, that made the Wii version the definitive one for me.

Aaaand just about down to 10 more days for some more Twilight Princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xdAnimPrA&list=PLaal_vbFPZSuqSr6nRQx6LzHcqsxkstMh&index=10

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm of two minds about the possibility of Zelda on NX. I'd want to play the better version and I'm going to assume that would be on NX. But after the absolute dumpster fire that is Wii U I'm not terribly anxious to give another Nintendo console the benefit of the doubt. Unless they blow me out of the water with the reveal there's little chance I'll get an NX at launch. So I can get the inferior version of Zelda on Wii U or wait who knows how long for when I decide NX is worth getting. After waiting this long for Zelda U it won't be fun having to wait even longer.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    After playing Wind Waker HD / Majora's Mask 3DS / Ocarina of Time 3DS / (soon to be) Twilight Princess HD, I think my preferred method of playing Zelda games is with two screens. So I hope the NX is a fancier version of the Wii U.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    My rule is that I do not buy a console until it has what I consider to be a must-have exclusive.

And I do not consider a slightly enhanced port of a game I can easily buy for a console I already own to be a must-have exclusive.

So whether or not I buy an NX at launch (and by extension, which version of Zelda I get), will depend entirely on whether or not any of the other launch titles interest me at all.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Any word on a Hyrule Warriors new 3DS XL bundle? I've never owned a Zelda themed system, and Im contemplating the 3DS upgrade.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    My rule is to just assume Nintendo's consoles will at some point have an awesome game I want to play, since it always works out that way :P Except Virtual Boy but fuck, even I wasn't that dumb :P

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    My rule is to just assume Nintendo's consoles will at some point have an awesome game I want to play, since it always works out that way :P Except Virtual Boy but fuck, even I wasn't that dumb :P

I had assumed that with Wii U and it turned out to be a console that just wasn't for me. Not that it doesn't have great games but for the most part they didn't strike my fancy. Not making that mistake again.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options

The Wii U disillusioned me in a big way.

It took three years to get an RPG. That's unacceptable.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I have a PC with Steam. Nintendo's console stuff is just delicious frosting on top.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I think the Wii U has had both the best Mario Kart and Smash Bros games to date. Quite possibly the best Donkey Kong Country as well, although I really liked Returns. Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, and Super Mario Maker are all awesome . . . the only downsides have really been a lack of Metroid and the abysmal showings that Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing made, as far as Nintendo developed stuff goes.

Rehab on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I started playing Zelda 1's second quest yesterday since it's the best time to play through it never having done it before. I've always wanted to do it without a guide.

MY GOD HOW CAN PEOPLE SAY ZELDA II IS HARDER THAN THIS

Seriously, they pit you against Dark Nuts from very early, even! And I thought there wasn't a fucking item in the second dungeon, turns out there is, and the way to get it is the most bullshit I've ever seen in a Zelda game.

I had to tell my brother to look up how to get into the third dungeon and give me a clue about where to find it, and he told me I was missing an item. After checking every room in the second dungeon (after a while of wandering through some rooms, my brother just told me it wasn't there, I told him he could say where the flute wasn't after a while), I came across the only room I hadn't checked that well, and I asked my brother if I had the necessary equipment, and I started doing just whatever to see if it worked.
    I had to hit a certain wall with your sword.

How was I supposed to know I had to do that? On the other hand, it was actually pretty fun to work my way through the dungeon with the help of my brother, but still. I did it by myself. All the help I got was my brother telling me what I didn't have and that's it.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The Wii U disillusioned me in a big way.

It took three years to get an RPG. That's unacceptable.

Technically it launched with an RPG :P (also in a less joking poking, it did have Monster Hunter about a year in. Edit: Also Earthbound :P )

Also, not a ton of RPGs on PS4 or XBONE either. *shrug*

I dunno, I have loved a lot of games on the Wii U. It's the only console I consistently still turn on.

Warlock82 on