As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Obduction] -- It is 1:30 AM and I must solve the puzzle: yep, it's a Cyan game.

Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeerMarylandRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology

Obduction is a game by Cyan Worlds that was successfully Kickstarted in 2013. Like their previous games in the Myst series, Obduction is a visually stunning puzzle-based adventure game with a big emphasis on atmosphere, exploration, and intuitive mystery solving. Though Obduction (probably) does not take place in the same universe as Myst, it will shares themes of becoming lost in an unfamiliar place, trying to find (and, perhaps, define) home, loss, and melancholy for something great now fallen into ruin.

The plot revolves around people and buildings mysteriously transported to another planet by a strange artifact...including you. When you arrive at this strange, new planet, you find yourself alone in a recently abandoned town. It's up to you to find out where everyone went, and, hopefully, how to get back to your own home.

The game is built on the Unreal 4 engine. As with basically everything Cyan has ever done, it looks completely stunning. Robyn Miller, the composer behind Myst and Riven, did the (amazing) music.

It's only $30 so go buy it right now, immediately. If you've felt recently starved for beautiful single-player, plot-based games, this game is here for you. Warning: will keep you up at 4 AM and cause you to say things like "damn these stupid sphere doohickies what does it mean!?"

Official Website
Steam page
GoG
Original Kickstarter

PLEASE KEEP ALL PUZZLE AND PLOT SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS! Asking for help is fine, but the whole mystery and fun of the game IS the puzzles.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
Lucid_Seraph on

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    About goddamn time.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    well this is interesting. I totally forgot that they did the kickstarter

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So. Yes. I backed this project at the $75 dollar mark (box! BOX! With feelies!? I hope!?) and that trailer just...

I was a huuuge Myst fan as a kid. My first game was actually Riven; I played Myst second, then kinda went in a weird backwards way and played Uru and was really disappointed with... well, basically everything that Cyan made in collaboration with Ubisoft. Watching the trailer felt like coming home after a long, long journey and being like yes. Yes, this is the place I belong, finally.

I like how I was recently like "bleh you don't need good graphics to have a good game!" and that's still true but Obduction is some serious eye candy. I hope my old 2010 machine can handle it (it does have an updated graphics card and RAM, but it has a garbage power supply and terrible CPU...)

I am VERY EXCITED about the themes they seem to be exploring from the trailers and other sneak peeks they've talked about. Really seems like My Jam when it comes to games.

Also, I'd like to note that I think Cyan is... just. Wow. I think they're one of the very few game companies from the early 90s that never got bought out by someone like EA, 2K, or ZeniMax and just continued to be their own separate entity trundling along. In many ways, Obduction is a return to the Myst and Riven games for them -- I had the chance to actually speak to Rand Miller a few times (once way back in 2009 in person at the Smithsonian, and again in about 2014 in an AMA on Reddit) and he said to me that he never quite got the distinction between "indie" and "AAA" games because when he started, everything was basically indie, and for him, Cyan never really left that. For him, it felt like doing Obduction was also like coming home, back to a mode of creation & production that he & his team understands a lot better.
    About goddamn time.

The thing is, unlike a lot of other Kickstarters I've seen (and backed... DoubleFine :| ) this one actually looks 100% worth the wait and my money. I mean, I won't KNOW until I have the game in hand, but damn, it both looks pretty and exactly in the spirit of the Myst games, which is what I wanted.

Cyan does good fucking work.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    My remark has less to do with waiting on Kickstarters as it does just with Cyan getting back in the action of making weird, powerful adventure games. I for one am glad that they are alive, independent, and doing more of what made them so huge to begin with.

• Options
    My remark has less to do with waiting on Kickstarters as it does just with Cyan getting back in the action of making weird, powerful adventure games. I for one am glad that they are alive, independent, and doing more of what made them so huge to begin with.

Oh man, yes, absolutely.

My greatest hope is that Obduction also sells well beyond and outside its Kickstarter -- not something that a lot of Kickstarters manage, but if anyone can do it, I think it'll be Cyan. From the trailer it may sell on the strength of just how good it looks alone...

Because if Obduction ALSO sells well in addition to their Kickstarter, that means Cyan might be able to continue to make more weird, powerful adventure games, and by golly do I want that so very much.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Can't wait to get home and play this. 30 bucks is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Launch trailer! Warning: Contains minor spoilers, so avoid if you want to go in fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCPOTK587o

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Playing through this. Really great so far. Puzzle are tough for me and I get stuck often but satisfying when you do eventually progress. Also, I think it has the best lighting I've seen in a video game.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Picking this up as soon as I get home for sure.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good to have a Kickstarter finally deliver.

Shame the production process outlasted the relationship with the person I bought it for. :-P

Oh well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    THIS GAME IS SO GOOD.

THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING GOOD.

If you like the genre don't watch or read a single thing, just buy it when you can afford it. I went in 100% blind just trusting that Cyan makes good games, and I'm so glad I did.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, man. When I pushed the thing and it did the thing OH MAN.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Edit: After multiple reload and relaunching the games turn out it was a very ill-timed glitch. Leaving the below in case someone else runs into the same issue, just try closing and re-launching the game a couple times.

Alright, either I'm being stupid or the game might have been released half finished. I got surprise (failure-ish) credits rolling, which are avoidable on reload, except I can't seem to progress if I avoid them. Significant spoilers below if anyone has gotten pretty far and wants to tell me if I'm being dumb or if the game really just ends out of nowhere halfway through.
    So, I'm in the area right before the entrance to the second tree's roots. All the humans and not-bad aliens are in a big cryo-storage facility, It becomes really obvious the bad aliens are bad because they have their own seed device and send some guy to fuck up the frozen people but he got killed by (and killed) the good aliens on guard. If I approach the bad alien's seed device the screen goes red and it goes to credits. I'm like, what the fuck, so I reload, and avoid the bad alien's device and use a nearby blue-laser to blow it up. Now I can walk past where it was and there's one of those extendable bridges to the island the second tree is on. Except it won't work and extend all the way like all the similar bridges did. However, I can't really think of anything else I should be able to get into at this point. There are areas in town behind codes I haven't found clues for yet, but I don't think I'm supposed to be able to break those, and the whole surprise YOU LOSE credits and then inexplicably unreachable areas right after it makes me think they may really have released a half finished game.

StuffGuy on
  • Options
    This game will not stop dropping my jaw.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Wish there were were subtitles for the notes you find, some of the writing is really hard to read, or completely impossible at a higher field of view. Also loading can be incredibly bad, completely freezing my computer sometimes.

Other than that, super compelling!

• Options
    Kaptar, vague impressions.
    Finally got the Kaptar tree watered. My god that was maddening. Still no idea what that weird panel with the Russian letters is for, and I'm still terrified of it.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    This and Deus Ex this week: my cup runneth over.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    ok I'm still in the first zone but

this is def. a Cyan game. it is 1:20 AM and I don't want to go to bed because i know the keycode for that thingy is around somewhere dammit i gotta open the thing to get to the place. fuckin. i'll get it. i don't need sleep.

Also: because my computer is a bit old I'm running on lowest settings, and IT STILL LOOKS GORGEOUS

*e* maybe I need to leave the first world finally to get the codes for the doors that have them? and like, open those other doors, that have no codes, but I want them open, dammit?
    lazoring things on the mine cart is fun

also my photo album is broken :( Clicking on pictures usually takes me to the wrong picture, or no picture at all, which as you can imagine is a problem because I kinda need it for many puzzles.

also also, having "photo" where the jump key is in most other games is awkward and leads to many many weird pictures of the dirt

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    YOU CAN TAKE YOUR THREE SPHERES AND SHOVE THEM UP YOUR ASS

*ahem*

perhaps I should continue this puzzle tomorrow.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My save file is called Riven Remembers.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    also my photo album is broken :( Clicking on pictures usually takes me to the wrong picture, or no picture at all, which as you can imagine is a problem because I kinda need it for many puzzles.

That's an issue I've been seeing but haven't experienced myself (thankfully). I believe an image gets corrupted and messes up your album. You can try looking for corrupt images in your save folder and deleting them to see if that helps. The folder is located in the AppData>Local folder.

And also, this game. I missed you so much, Cyan.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Updated the OP, finally, since the game has now launched! If you guys have suggestions/ideas for more stuff to put in the OP, I'm all ears.

I absolutely need a physical notebook for this game, god damn. Just like old times. If people like, I will happily scan pages (with spoiler warnings) once I start it, I always enjoy those things myself. If you're keeping one, please share!

I have some questions about Hunrath. PUZZLE SPOILERS FOR HUNRATH BELOW. Please don't spoil beyond the exact questions I ask? Feel free to ask more questions about the current state of my Hunrath (eg, "did you twist the doohicky and flip the switch and then rotate the sprocket in the office?")
    I've gotten as far as disabling the red beam, getting into the junkyard, and turning on the remaining power to ALL buildings. Pink tree thingy has water, CW has been mostly rude and unhelpful so I've stopped talking to him (last chat was "DO U WANT A PRIZE FOR TURNING THE POWER ON!? oh wait that was rude mumble mumble Scarlett, wait oops you must be level 10 to unlock my tragic backstory").

I'm having some issues with a few puzzles, but I've also managed to unlock two sphere thingies which seem to open the way to other worlds.

I'm especially miffed by the two rotary phones. There's one in the garage, and one that's the door lock for the vertical boat building. I tried the phone number on the lawyer advertisement garage on both, no dice (I may not have used the whole number on the phone booth?). There's also the keypad to the... door... thingy... near the big weird sphere.

SO OKAY QUESTIONS.

1. Can I "solve" / finish Hunrath without leaving, or do I need to go to the other worlds first? I hate leaving a world unsolved, but I know from previous Cyan games that it's often necessary to leave and come back.

2. Does the phone booth near the garage do anything, or is it just a red herring / practice for the boat door? If it does something, is there something else I need to do first to make it operational? Is there something to interact with in there besides the rotary dial?

3. The lawyer advertisement with the phone number in the garage. Red herring, or actually important? If important, do I use the number on either of the two phones?

4. The Villein device in the garage... Is that actually a puzzle, or just something to teach you how Villein devices work for the future (similar to Ghen's schoolroom in Riven?) (GDI CYAN I DON'T WANT TO LEARN ANOTHER NEW MATHEMATICAL SYSTEM >| OR A NEW LANGUAGE, I SUCK AT THAT)

5. Stuff in Farley's house. I haven't figured out what the projector & map is trying to tell me. I figure that the symbol on the back of the shade for the chalkboard is a Villein symbol, but I'm not sure where to apply it? I tried the villein bot in the garage but I think I drew it wrong (I couldn't look at the image up close because of the photo album glitch, so I was working with the thumbnail).

6. The playing cards left around. Are the card faces and numbers important (codes & such) or just there for ambiance? Similarly, the backgammon board.

I have other things I'm chewing over, but those I figure I'll solve on my own later.

Now, some more general but spoilery thoughts on atmosphere, logic, and the game.
    I had to turn on the hint glints to find the button to pull down the lazor mine cart, it's hard to see on my graphical settings. BUT OH MAN MINE CART. It's like the Riven submarine, ONLY YOU HAVE A LAZOR. Pew pew pew pew. That whole puzzle sequence has been, thus far, my favorite, just... it was so, so well crafted.

"Huh, it says here that the projectors always have weird interference... I wonder if that's why some of the rocks blocking the tunnels hum?"

"Hehe lazor. Oh no whoops I turned off Farley's hologram in my enthusiastic lazoring D: I kinda feel bad."

"OH GOD WAS TURNING OFF THE RED LAZOR THE RIGHT CHOICE... THAT WAS A BIG THING I JUST DID... wait okay no Cyan games usually don't kill you or get you force stuck until closer to the end, unless you're realllly dumb like in Riven with the prison book."

"mine cart mine cart mine cart mine cart OMG I CAN LAZOR ROCKS omg lazor alllll the rocks :3 "

"lazor that thingy near the salt vents hey why don't I walk in there eh it's a dead eeeENENENF WHAT. WHAT. HOW AM I IN THE JUNKYARD D: I DID NOT INTEND... WHAT. THE DOME TELEPORTS YOU NOW!? WHAT. ... HOLY SHIT. ... THERES MINE CART SHIT UP HERE. I CAN TURN THE POWER BACK ON. ... OH MY GOD THE MAP JUST OPENED UP WHAT."

That last moment was super amazing and cool. Like... really, really amazing. That was also the point when I went "haha it's only midnight it's fine!" and that was a mistake.

Annnd some random thoughts and things about logic and easter eggs.
    I have no knees. I have no knees? I had knees in Uru, dammit, useless though they were! It feels weird in an open world exploration game to have no knees. I'm tempted to switch to slideshow mode so I stop accidentally taking photographs when I mean to jump before remembering that I can't jump.

My shadow interferes with puzzles sometimes, but I like having it on because it makes the game feel more real, like I have physical presence.

"Who the devil are you?" RAND IS THAT YOU.

Many of the "actors" are pretty bad in the 90s FMV game way... but that works for this game? It feels nicer than digital characters, even if the acting is wooden.

Hahaha white farmhouse AND THERE'S A MAILBOX WITH A NOTE I see what you did there. I can't throw the pamphlet at myself to die like in Zork tho.

One of the many words for "Hello" the mayor in the hologram greets you with is "Shorah..." which is D'ni. I know it's probably just an easter egg, but now I'm going WAIT IS THIS GAME IN THE MYST UNIVERSE TOO...???" It's not actually out of the realm of possibility, the Myst universe is really, really big.

Is gasoline magical? Or is there infinite gasoline like there's infinite water? Because that generator just keeps on trucking. Why aren't y'all using solar power, since night doesn't seem to be a thing?

Is the planet outside the dome even inhabited? Is the air out there even breathable? Why is it so alien and hostile looking? There IS an atmosphere and it looks like there IS life, even if it's just plant life and bacteria, but...

Sorry, not "planet," given the size of the thing in the sky we're probably on a moon. Wait, if we're on a moon, why does gravity seem like Earth gravity? Another effect of the dome? WHY CAN'T I JUMP.

I've officially played Riven too many times because I recognize the page-turn sound effect as the same damn one from that game. I mean there's no reason not to re-use their old sound effect library, it's more that I recognized the exact sound effect.

The transition from planet to planet takes wayyy too long and I'm not sure if it's my computer (Computer is from 2011, intel i5, albeit upgraded with 12 gigs of RAM and an NVidia 750Ti) or the game.

Speaking of though, the game is still gorgeous on minimum, albeit kinda blurry. It's like I'm wandering around without my glasses. I can run it on higher settings, but the water effects cause my whole rig to chug like crazy. Devs, I know you like water, but it sets my machine on fire ;-;

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    SO OKAY QUESTIONS.

1. Can I "solve" / finish Hunrath without leaving, or do I need to go to the other worlds first? I hate leaving a world unsolved, but I know from previous Cyan games that it's often necessary to leave and come back.

2. Does the phone booth near the garage do anything, or is it just a red herring / practice for the boat door? If it does something, is there something else I need to do first to make it operational? Is there something to interact with in there besides the rotary dial?

3. The lawyer advertisement with the phone number in the garage. Red herring, or actually important? If important, do I use the number on either of the two phones?

4. The Villein device in the garage... Is that actually a puzzle, or just something to teach you how Villein devices work for the future (similar to Ghen's schoolroom in Riven?) (GDI CYAN I DON'T WANT TO LEARN ANOTHER NEW MATHEMATICAL SYSTEM >| OR A NEW LANGUAGE, I SUCK AT THAT)

5. Stuff in Farley's house. I haven't figured out what the projector & map is trying to tell me. I figure that the symbol on the back of the shade for the chalkboard is a Villein symbol, but I'm not sure where to apply it? I tried the villein bot in the garage but I think I drew it wrong (I couldn't look at the image up close because of the photo album glitch, so I was working with the thumbnail).

6. The playing cards left around. Are the card faces and numbers important (codes & such) or just there for ambiance? Similarly, the backgammon board.

1.) You'll have to solve at least the stuff you're having trouble with before you can explore other worlds in earnest.

2.) As far as I can tell, the phone booth is basically there to help you solve the elevator puzzle (other rotary dial) but doesn't do anything it's own.

3.) I think it's just fluff. It didn't come into play with the rotary dial puzzle.

4.) The device is connected to the cash register beside it, which displays the number you put in the machine. It's used to get a clue to another puzzle, which I'll sorta spoil if you want a little more direct hint (but not solution):
    You'll use it to get a code that you'll input somewhere else in Hunrath.

5.) The map/projector is just trying to tell you the circled area is important, but that's kind of obvious on it's own. The projector is also used on the shade for a clue to another puzzle. Look closely at the projector if you haven't.

6.) I didn't even notice the playing cards, and they haven't come into play for me yet.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    A few other things:

In case you didn't put it together, disabling that red laser is what allows you to teleport around Hunrath (it was projecting a dome that acted as a prison, Robyn Holliday mentions it). You'll have to do it in the other worlds, too, to fully explore them.

The last clue I got from Robyn Holliday is to grow the tree and connect it all together, which is why you start exploring the other worlds.

There will be a lot of teleporting back and forth as you go on. I just finished a puzzle that required me to jump probably 20 or 30 times in pretty quick succession (trail and error type stuff). Thankfully, they seemed to have chunked off certain parts of the world to make loading faster. On my SSD, they were taking maybe 5 or 6 seconds, but when I would try to leave that chunk, I would have to wait 20 or 30 seconds for it to load the rest of the area. Probably my only real complain with the game so far.

Edit: Also, it seems you'll need to learn the numbering system for at least another puzzle later on. I should have played with the machine in the garage more. Now I'll have to read up on it online somewhere. I wish the game had a printable version of that worksheet describing the system.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It's not important to game-play, but if you havn't yet, make sure to flip the lawyer ad over. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    @Sir Carcass , can you spoiler tag your answers so people who haven't played yet won't get spoiled for solutions / plot bits?

• Options
    Sir Carcass, can you spoiler tag your answers so people who haven't played yet won't get spoiled for solutions / plot bits?

I don't think those are spoilers, but, uh, sure.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Edit: Also, it seems you'll need to learn the numbering system for at least another puzzle later on. I should have played with the machine in the garage more. Now I'll have to read up on it online somewhere. I wish the game had a printable version of that worksheet describing the system.

(sorry for the double post)

Later today, I'll make a printable worksheet of the number system. :)

I'll also make a solved version for those that are like "I don't want to muck around with this shit." I wish there was a way to reset that thing :\
    I didn't realize there was another slide for the projector, that'll help a lot. Thanks!

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Trying not to spoil anything, but there's a miss-able achievement that I'm glad I got but would be annoyed if I didn't realize you get locked out of it. There's a place you'll get to at one point with a bunch of things in the walls where you input numbers into a machine to access them. If you want to play around with that machine and look at the different things listed in the book, be sure you do it before you do the thing the game is telling you to do, because once you do that and then go through the door, it gets locked behind you and you can't go back.

It'll make more sense when you find it. :P

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I'll also post this, if you want something to convert from decimal to base-4:

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/numbers.html

Edit: Instead of triple posting, I'll just amend this.

The number system isn't as hard to figure out as I first thought. It's actually pretty simple. Really, the hard part is when you have to convert from base 10 to base 4, or vice versa.

I think I'm well and truly stuck. minor spoilers, I guess
    I've "finished" one world, have no idea how I'm supposed to finish another (I think I have to come in from a different world, but I have no idea where), and I have no idea how to get to any other worlds. I think I've pretty much opened all of Hunrath.
    Guess I'll just have to keep flitting around until I find what I'm missing. These "scoop" puzzles can get pretty complex.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I'll also post this, if you want something to convert from decimal to base-4:

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/numbers.html

Edit: Instead of triple posting, I'll just amend this.

The number system isn't as hard to figure out as I first thought. It's actually pretty simple. Really, the hard part is when you have to convert from base 10 to base 4, or vice versa.

Two things:

1. Here's the worksheet anyway! Feel free to share it around the interbutts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9paIaDNyqIZ3F0amZhWmRDTlE/view?usp=sharing

2. Turns out, there's an "Obduction Explorers Guide" PDF in the Steam file... at least, there is for me? It might be backers-only, I don't know. Anyway, it's a hint guide. Not too heavy on the spoilers, just enough to move you in the right direction. Maybe give that a look?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    2. Turns out, there's an "Obduction Explorers Guide" PDF in the Steam file... at least, there is for me? It might be backers-only, I don't know. Anyway, it's a hint guide. Not too heavy on the spoilers, just enough to move you in the right direction. Maybe give that a look?

Hmm, I'm not finding any PDFs in the Steam game directory.

I know I'm missing something in Kaptar because there's a locked door I can't find a way behind. I think I've seen the rest of the level.

Edit: Aha! Found what I was missing. It was a path I thought I had come from at one point, but hadn't been in. 3rd tree down. Now I have no idea where to go next. I think there's still another tree on a world I haven't even been to yet.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Yay, finished it! I don't really understand the ending at all. It seemed like I missed an explanation somewhere. I'll have to read around and see what I missed.

I'm going to put this in a spoiler because it's about the nature of the ending, from a mechanics standpoint, with a slight warning that I would have liked to know before finishing the game. It doesn't spoil anything story-wise.
    There's 2 endings, a good one and a not so good one. The thing that determines which one you get seemed really arbitrary to me and you only really get a hint about it after you've started the bad ending, that I saw. I'll spoil it for anyone that wants to know what (not) to do ahead of time if you want the good ending, but it doesn't spoil the endings at all:
    Don't plug in the battery that C.W. keeps reminding you about, and if you have already, unplug it before blowing up something.

After you get an ending, you can load your game and it'll be pretty close to the end so you can get the other ending.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. There were some head-scratchers (and I had to look up solutions a couple of times), but overall it wasn't too crazy. It was more of a mechanical puzzle game than some of the Myst games that relied on understanding cultures and crazy languages. The end of the game felt pretty rushed, honestly, like they were just ready to release it. It took me about 12 hours to finish, with a fair amount of running around trying to figure something out. I think the price was perfect for what we got.

• Options
    Yay, finished it! I don't really understand the ending at all. It seemed like I missed an explanation somewhere. I'll have to read around and see what I missed.

I'm going to put this in a spoiler because it's about the nature of the ending, from a mechanics standpoint, with a slight warning that I would have liked to know before finishing the game. It doesn't spoil anything story-wise.
    There's 2 endings, a good one and a not so good one. The thing that determines which one you get seemed really arbitrary to me and you only really get a hint about it after you've started the bad ending, that I saw. I'll spoil it for anyone that wants to know what (not) to do ahead of time if you want the good ending, but it doesn't spoil the endings at all:
    Don't plug in the battery that C.W. keeps reminding you about, and if you have already, unplug it before blowing up something.

After you get an ending, you can load your game and it'll be pretty close to the end so you can get the other ending.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. There were some head-scratchers (and I had to look up solutions a couple of times), but overall it wasn't too crazy. It was more of a mechanical puzzle game than some of the Myst games that relied on understanding cultures and crazy languages. The end of the game felt pretty rushed, honestly, like they were just ready to release it. It took me about 12 hours to finish, with a fair amount of running around trying to figure something out. I think the price was perfect for what we got.
    Re: the endings... something I noticed that made me think, "Man, I should probably unplug that at some point..." If you get to Fary... faraday... what's her name's bedroom, she has a note in a journal, highlighted in yellow, that says something like "I should see if I can convince CW not to go through with his battery plan." Her journal in general basically is a big ol "Don't trust CW" flag, as it's basically vaugeblogging about him and essentially says "he's too stuck on the past and not thinking about where we are now."

I'm currently at the STUPID GODDAMN SPINNING DISK PLATE PUZZLE... THINGY in the Jungle. Am I still at a good point for getting the good ending if I unplug the battery now? I haven't managed to water any trees yet except the one in the Desert Town / Starting Area.

Speaking of that... I went as far as I could in the Cliffside world (I can't remember any of these goddamn names) but couldn't get to the tree. Kept hitting a barred door. I'm now in the Jungle world, at that STUPID GODDAMN 4 DISKS INSIDE THE DISK MAZE PUZZLE which is up there with the underwater sound maze in Myst and the marble puzzle in Riven in terms of "this thing makes me angry." am I on the right track? Especially since I 1. brute-forced the bridges in Jungle somehow, I have NO IDEA what number I used, I just mashed stuff until I got a working bridge, and 2. I have NO IDEA what that weird light-up sound box thingy in Cliffside does. It's near the main generator? A bajillion switches. Have found nothing that indicates what I should do with the damn thing.

And an aside re: Cliffside world...
    Holy hell, when I realized that the whole place was a fish processing facility when I saw the GIGANTIC fish skeleton with its mouth around one of the hook things... at first I was like "mining facility? but why is it like a temple? what's the deal?" and then the realization that those are enormous fishhooks... like a weird combo of fish processing plant and temple of worship. The purple "banners" are actually made of fish scales (you can see some on the ground, too). Like... jesus. And what civilization does that belong to, anyway!? Surely it isn't the wee bugmen, they're too small to operate machinery on that level. It's not the Villeins, it's clear that the Jungle world tech is theirs (and they're space nomads anyway). The Bad Guy Humanoids with Bad English, maybe?

Speaking of those dudes, ho man, lol, the guy who I thought was the mayor called me on Jungle and because I'd read EVERYTHING, the SECOND he started talking I went "Wait, you're not human, you're one of the voice mimic alien dudes with bad grammar."

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Re: the endings...
    something I noticed that made me think, "Man, I should probably unplug that at some point..." If you get to Fary... faraday... what's her name's bedroom, she has a note in a journal, highlighted in yellow, that says something like "I should see if I can convince CW not to go through with his battery plan." Her journal in general basically is a big ol "Don't trust CW" flag, as it's basically vaugeblogging about him and essentially says "he's too stuck on the past and not thinking about where we are now."

I remember that now, but it didn't really register when I saw it.
    I'm currently at the STUPID GODDAMN
    SPINNING DISK PLATE PUZZLE... THINGY in the Jungle. Am I still at a good point for getting the good ending if I unplug the battery now? I haven't managed to water any trees yet except the one in the Desert Town / Starting Area.

That puzzle is the one I was referring to with the constant jumping around.

Ending path spoilers:
    As long as the battery is unplugged before you do the last thing that starts the end cutscene, you'll be fine. And even if you miss it, after you watch the bad ending, you can load your game and it'll start before you do the thing, so you can go unplug it then.

Spinning puzzle:
    Assuming you're looking north from the observation tower, you need to build a path to the north panel you can see, which opens one of the tram doors. You also need a path to the east, which leads to the second tram door panel. The final thing is to go out the west side, which leads up to the tram, and I think the east maze path can be rotated to exit west, so you really only need to build 2 paths.

A decent sized hint on building the paths:
    When you teleport a disc to Hunrath to rotate, you're swapping it with another disc that was already sitting in Hunrath. There are 5 discs total. Also, each press of the button rotates the disc a quarter turn.
    Speaking of that... I went as far as I could in the Cliffside world
    (I can't remember any of these goddamn names) but couldn't get to the tree. Kept hitting a barred door. I'm now in the Jungle world, at that STUPID GODDAMN 4 DISKS INSIDE THE DISK MAZE PUZZLE which is up there with the underwater sound maze in Myst and the marble puzzle in Riven in terms of "this thing makes me angry." am I on the right track? Especially since I 1. brute-forced the bridges in Jungle somehow, I have NO IDEA what number I used, I just mashed stuff until I got a working bridge, and 2. I have NO IDEA what that weird light-up sound box thingy in Cliffside does. It's near the main generator? A bajillion switches. Have found nothing that indicates what I should do with the damn thing.

For the bridges, I just kept trying combinations until everything was lit up, then memorized that design. You can use it for all of the bridge panels. There's probably a number associated with it, but it didn't take me long with guessing to figure it out. As long as you can cross the bridge, you should be fine.

Regarding the box with the Russian characters:
    You really want to know?
    The Russian text on the back of it roughly translates to something like "pointless waste of time". It's only real use is for the backers who got a special easter egg in the game for them, which I think was like $850. Unless you have a code for it, you can ignore it.

And what civilization does that belong to, anyway!?

The Arai (?), the little bug dudes.
    Speaking of those dudes,
    ho man, lol, the guy who I thought was the mayor called me on Jungle and because I'd read EVERYTHING, the SECOND he started talking I went "Wait, you're not human, you're one of the voice mimic alien dudes with bad grammar."

Yeah, I definitely remembered that description of them so I immediately knew what was happening. You'll get to something soon that confirms it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options

Spinning puzzle:
    Assuming you're looking north from the observation tower, you need to build a path to the north panel you can see, which opens one of the tram doors. You also need a path to the east, which leads to the second tram door panel. The final thing is to go out the west side, which leads up to the tram, and I think the east maze path can be rotated to exit west, so you really only need to build 2 paths.

A decent sized hint on building the paths:
    When you teleport a disc to Hunrath to rotate, you're swapping it with another disc that was already sitting in Hunrath. There are 5 discs total. Also, each press of the button rotates the disc a quarter turn.

I actually did figure that out at around, oh, 1:30 AM last night, at which point I went ARGHGHGHGH.
    I *thought* I'd be able to teleport some nice empty space or a flat wooden platform in. The people of Hunrath and the Villein clearly have too much time on their hands. Well, and are trying to thwart interstellar war. But mostly have too much time on their hands.

Unfortunately that didn't help much and I just went "I need to go the fuck to sleep." What would help me most at this point is a picture of the solution so I at least know what I'm aiming for, because I honestly suck at spacial reasoning
    Regarding the box with the Russian characters:
    You really want to know?
    The Russian text on the back of it roughly translates to something like "pointless waste of time". It's only real use is for the backers who got a special easter egg in the game for them, which I think was like $850. Unless you have a code for it, you can ignore it.

HA! My first thought when I found that thing was "... is the game trolling me...? I think the game is trolling me." Apparently I was correct.

And what civilization does that belong to, anyway!?

Okay so, wait, were the Arai the first / only civilization there? Because if so, holy shit, how the hell did the little bug dudes build such giant fucking machines, and why were they fishing for TITANIC COELACANTHS!?

Related
    I realized that the Arai and the Villein worlds were a 1-1 swap pretty much the second I could look out of the Villein bubble... so does that mean that Earth & the Mofang were swapped that way too? ... If this is actually explained, don't tell me. But given that the Mofang seem out for our blood... that seems, uh, bad.

• Options
    Unfortunately that didn't help much and I just went "I need to go the fuck to sleep." What would help me most at this point is a picture of the solution so I at least know what I'm aiming for, because I honestly suck at spacial reasoning

If it helps:
    I only had to swap out one with the first one in Hunrath. And from there I only had to rotate 3. I kept the straight piece in Hunrath until I needed to head west.
    Okay so, wait, were the Arai the first / only civilization there?

I think maybe they're the ones the books mention that go into suspended animation and launch colonies across space? If so, it's likely they landed there, but I didn't really find much detail on their backstory. I think Kaptar is supposed to be the Arai world in the game. I don't know the reason we're all linked together, either.
    Related
    I realized that the Arai and the Villein worlds were a 1-1 swap pretty much the second I could look out of the Villein bubble... so does that mean that Earth & the Mofang were swapped that way too? ... If this is actually explained, don't tell me. But given that the Mofang seem out for our blood... that seems, uh, bad.

All I'll say is fully explore the (extremely small) volcanic world before leaving it. There's an achievement that'll pop and it'll make a little more sense.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Okay so, wait, were the Arai the first / only civilization there? Because if so, holy shit, how the hell did the little bug dudes build such giant fucking machines, and why were they fishing for TITANIC COELACANTHS!?
    I think a notebook in the Farley house mentioned something about the Arai living through the rise and fall of a couple other intelligent species' civilzations on their world.

Deans on
  • Options
    Oh my god spinny maze is the worst puzzle ever.
    Hey did you figure out how the puzzle works and where all the pieces need to go? Enjoy spending an hour of walking and loading and double checking and loading in order to complete this one fucking simple maze puzzle. Whee fun.

• Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    About the goo panels, alien number systems, and what you're doing with them, since apparently some people are brute forcing the panels without figuring out whats going on:
    The goo panels use a base 4 number system. The one in the garage and the ones that control the various bridges are 5 digit, so can represent any number from 0-1023. Higher numbers make the bridge extend further, so you're basically kinda using them like a weird slider and setting it to 1023 for full every time you want to cross a bridge. The smaller panels are single digit so only show 0-3, and all start on 3, and you reduce them to 0 to make the door open. In the cryo pod area you enter the exact number for the pod you want to see.

The way the digits work is that the center dot is the first digit, than the one directly above it is the second digit (each increase here is +4), the one directly right is the third digit (+16), below is fourth (+64), and left is fifth (+256). The dots other than those 5 are not digits but are there to make connections to the dots that are actual digits. The number of connections is the number being represented, but the direction of the connections is only valid in one way.

0 = No connections
    1 = Up-left
    2 = up-right and down-right
    3 = up-left, up-right, and down-left

If you put in an invalid connection the panel basically has auto-correct to what it thinks you meant to put in, which probably helps players who are brute forcing the bridges. That behavior is also used in the puzzle to figure out the key-code to the mayor's office.

Edit: I actually watered both the other tree's before figuring out the mayor's office code because I looked at the chalkboard diagram and went "That is not a valid number!" I thought maybe the projector and map was going to be telling me to look for a sphere in that position in another world to break my way in. It wasn't until I came back that I realized the projector had two slides and that the second was a dot pattern that I figured out it was intentionally making use of the auto-correct functionality.

StuffGuy on