As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Agents of [The Division] - Directive 51 remains in effect

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    patch today added a dx12 renderer..... early reports are very very good- nice fps boosts....

Saw that but haven't tested it yet. The game was (still is?) pretty demanding; even on a Titan X (Pascal) at 1440p I struggle to keep it about 60 on Ultra in hectic sections or certain expanses of downtown. The nVidia optimizer turned on some things it probably shouldn't have, but stock "Ultra" looks damn good. Looking forward to what this patch added.

ps @Mojojoejoe why won't you love me and play the Division with me?

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Man, playing this game a bit again and it's come lightyears ahead of what it was. Has all the good visuals just needs more stuff to do, they should take a page from GTA in terms of side activities and such.

They need to add a tug of war style fighting over Manhatten, with each faction pushing in from different spots. Put survival mechanism in the normal game too, albeit a but modified to make it not intrusive... maybe only during "storms"? Where the world is just snowed on for ages.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So there's a free weekend coming up that I'm gonna try out. Anything a new player should know?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    patch today added a dx12 renderer..... early reports are very very good- nice fps boosts....

Saw that but haven't tested it yet. The game was (still is?) pretty demanding; even on a Titan X (Pascal) at 1440p I struggle to keep it about 60 on Ultra in hectic sections or certain expanses of downtown. The nVidia optimizer turned on some things it probably shouldn't have, but stock "Ultra" looks damn good. Looking forward to what this patch added.

:D ive been cooling off after the march to 30 on pc and hitting it hard. Too many games :D

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    So there's a free weekend coming up that I'm gonna try out. Anything a new player should know?

Do the story missions as soon as they're available. DPS is not the only important stat on weapons, most notably with Marksman Rifles.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular

Add me as a friend on UPlay (pittfurg) and I can help you along.

• Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

Do the story missions as soon as they're available. DPS is not the only important stat on weapons, most notably with Marksman Rifles.
    Thanks, that's helpful!

I dunno if I want to do a whole guided tour thing, I was just asking for some tips. Thanks though!

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Konphujun wrote: »

Thanks, that's helpful!

I dunno if I want to do a whole guided tour thing, I was just asking for some tips. Thanks though!

That's fine too; in fact I wasn't going to suggest I power level you (because you really can't; see #8 below). Hopefully you like it enough to stick with it to where we can play together though.

Tips? Let's see:

1. Until level 30, don't fret about min/maxing your gear all that much. If you think something looks cool, try it out.
    2. That said, if you do find you're dieng a lot to particular enemies, try upping your toughness (or armor score, which contributes to toughness)
    3. Ignore the DPS numbers you see on weapons; they've tweaked the formula for calculating it, but it's still not great. Weapon damage is probably the most important at < level 30. Once you start getting weapons with talents you can start to experiment a bit
    4. Don't forget to revisit your skills once you start unlocking talents for them; you can change the base behavior of certain skills that way.
    5. Always shoot melee / shotgun guys first. Always.
    6. Heavy machine gunners and grendiers have weak points you can aim for; try to get shots on them and they're trivial
    7. The first major story mission you should do is the Lincoln Tunnel Checkpoint; you'll earn the ability to upgrade the Security wing of the Base of Operations (BoO). Once you do, the first upgrade you should get is the Situation Room, which gives you the "Experienced Agent" bonus perk which gives you a 10% XP boost to EVERYTHING.
    8. While it IS possible to solo everything, teaming up can really speed up the encounters and missions. Try to group with someone your level, though, because enemies scale to the highest level player.

That's all I can think of for now.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I really recommend following this guide to set your graphics options: www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/tom-clancys-the-division-graphics-and-performance-guide

The game has multiple settings that have little to no difference between high and ultra, yet cause pretty bad fps drops.

I created these settings for a friend running a 4690K + GTX 970, these are the settings I believe give the best ratio between performance/quality.

Fullscreen
    V-Sync - Off
    Framerate limit - 60
    Shadow Quality - High
    Shadow Resolution - High
    Spot Shadow Count - Medium
    Spot Shadow Resolution - High
    Contact Shadows - All Low
    Post FX AA - Low/Off
    Temporal AA - Supersampling
    Resolution Scale - 100%
    Sharpen image - 30%
    Particle Detail - High
    Enable wind affected snow - Yes
    Volumetric Fog - Medium
    Reflection Quality - High
    Local Reflection Quality - Medium
    Sub-surface Scattering - Yes
    Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
    Parallax Mapping - High
    Ambient Oclussion - Very High
    Depth of field - Medium/Off
    Object Detail - 60%
    Extra Streaming Distance - 50%
    Chromatic Aberration - Off

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Is there any indication about where people are shooting you from that I'm missing or anything like that? It's really hard to tell who is dealing damage to me.

• Options
    Is there any indication about where people are shooting you from that I'm missing or anything like that? It's really hard to tell who is dealing damage to me.

Other than your radar, no. Once you get Pulse it'll get a little easier.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular

:D ive been cooling off after the march to 30 on pc and hitting it hard. Too many games :D

Ah yes, the "too many games" syndrome. The curse of all gamers. Then work gets in the way of your gaming, which means you have to be even more stringent with your time, and heaven forbid if you have a wife/significant other who actually wants to see you every now and then...

253J736.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Looking at simple math, my 17 Survival Extractions have netted me around 200 HE/Set Items from those packages and the extract items.

Averaged 11 packages per run, 2 items usually, but some of them gives 4 items.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Started a new character on PC after not having played in...forever. Is random enemies dropping crafting materials a relatively recent thing?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Started a new character on PC after not having played in...forever. Is random enemies dropping crafting materials a relatively recent thing?

Crafting materials, weapon kits for rerolling weapon talents, gold weapons/gear and set pieces and just about everything else you can think of.

Hell I got the assault rifle I'm using as my primary off of some rioters outside the BoO

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to grab the gold edition of this on the PC with it on sale, but I already have it on the PS4. Dilemma! Where is everyone here typically playing it, though?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm tempted to grab the gold edition of this on the PC with it on sale, but I already have it on the PS4. Dilemma! Where is everyone here typically playing it, though?

I have it on PS4 but bought it for $10 on Amazon around Black Friday. It looks and feels so much better.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Finally found all 3 of my buddies online for that Tier One achievement in Underground, Frontline Set didnt really help much, ran out of ammo and had to swap armor parts to be able to use my pistol (... retarded that you cant select your pistol because of Frontlines 4 set bonus)

Had a rough time but beat it on the first try anyway.

Now to wait for Last Stand.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Managed to do my first survival extraction, and as a group of 4!

Turns it was quite easy, don't know what all the fuss was about*

*it bugged out or something and no agents spawned for us, and a lot of the previous agents had died so we got our pick of loot boxes.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

I might snag it if it drops to an absurd low during the winter Steam sale, but honestly between a full playthrough/mini movie on Youtube, reading about shenanigans here, and my friends on the PS4, I'll probably skip it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Yeah that should have been a clusterfuck but I think the hunters had all retired or something because one didn't even spawn for me after you guys extracted on that randos chopper

But yeah that wen't really well. I think the key is if you bring in four people everyone splits up to get their own stuff outside and then meets at the DZ entrance.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I've made it to the Darkzone exactly twice in Survival and both times immediately faceplanted and died

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Botznoy wrote: »
    I've made it to the Darkzone exactly twice in Survival and both times immediately faceplanted and died

I don't know if this will help but I try run around outside the DZ until I'm in full blue armor, preferably with +armor as the bonus, and using two blue weapons of different types with some medicine/pain killers stocked up. Once I have that I head to the DZ.

Even then though once I'm in the DZ I try and avoid fights until I can build a gold assault rifle and hopefully some gold armor to upgrade any of the blue pieces that don't have +armor. Once I have that I hunt down my anti-virals and enough materials to deck myself out and then extract.

That's never failed me solo. It has failed in a two person group but that was as much to do with me being dumb and going after the anti-virals when they were in a terrible spot instead of just extracting.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »

I don't know if this will help but I try run around outside the DZ until I'm in full blue armor, preferably with +armor as the bonus, and using two blue weapons of different types with some medicine/pain killers stocked up. Once I have that I head to the DZ.

Even then though once I'm in the DZ I try and avoid fights until I can build a gold assault rifle and hopefully some gold armor to upgrade any of the blue pieces that don't have +armor. Once I have that I hunt down my anti-virals and enough materials to deck myself out and then extract.

That's never failed me solo. It has failed in a two person group but that was as much to do with me being dumb and going after the anti-virals when they were in a terrible spot instead of just extracting.

Now I forget do you "need" to get the antiviral to be able to craft the flaregun? Or do you just need a piece of division tech?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Just div-tech is enough. You can also loot the flare gun from someone who died to a hunter while trying to extract.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    So does acquiring the antivirus before extraction just improve loot at the end of the game?

I picked up this + the survival dlc on Saturday and have been playing survival non-stop. It's such an intense game type

Last game I played last night I made it to the DZ while being endlessly hunted by a group of 3 practically the whole game - tried to take a shortcut through an alleyway that required the advanced filter after realizing they were basically right behind me..my poor dude suffocated before he could make it to the other end due to my unwillingness to craft the advanced mask.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So does acquiring the antivirus before extraction just improve loot at the end of the game?

I picked up this + the survival dlc on Saturday and have been playing survival non-stop. It's such an intense game type

Last game I played last night I made it to the DZ while being endlessly hunted by a group of 3 practically the whole game - tried to take a shortcut through an alleyway that required the advanced filter after realizing they were basically right behind me..my poor dude suffocated before he could make it to the other end due to my unwillingness to craft the advanced mask.

yea gives you more loots, but as happy mentioned sometimes it just isn't worth trying to get, you get a bad location and you likely will die unless you have some friends. Advanced filter imo is a must, div tech and crates to extract and only red enemies in the tunnels.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Yup, just had the infamous "Your antivirals spawn in the middle of an elite LMB group" thing happen to me. This made me go gear up first, killed 3 hunters on the way and went back and barely made it out alive. It was a huge time detour, I ended up being 4th to extract.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I caved and grabbed the game and its season pass on Steam. I tried the free weekend trial and was impressed by how much better it looks and runs than the PS4 version. No more crazy pop in! A stable 75 FPS!

I'm really looking forward to trying out the Survival mode. I just need to figure out how to start it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Is Survival worth doing while leveling up? Or best waiting until max level?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kinda wish the PVE survival didn't require as many people.

I just cant get a game

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Kinda wish the PVE survival didn't require as many people.

I just cant get a game

I typically get up and do something else while I wait

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Is Survival worth doing while leveling up? Or best waiting until max level?

You can do survival whenever, and you get some exp if you successfully complete it I believe? Not sure about that. But you do always get quite a few sealed caches with level 30 items, that you can either hold on to, or sell for lots of cash to fund your character nicely.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I've noticed you still get some XP even if you don't complete the extraction

It's just kind of a piddly amount

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've just been grinding Lexington on WT5 Challenging with PUGs since I got back, and it seems far superior to some of the other modes for gearing up (especially Underground). I usually end up with 4-5 256 HEs and 1-2 256 GS items. One thing I also noticed is that hard dailies really don't seem worth it anymore. The amount of PxC you get from one Challenging mission in WT5 is equal to both hard dailies. Since, I also need lots of PxC to buy vendor things, this seems like the only real option I have right now.

Follow-up question, it seems like the best thing to do with stuff you don't want is to vendor it for tons of cash and buy basic caches at the safehouse vendors for items/PxC. Am I right in thinking that?

• Options
    Man I want that ww2 style Thompson badly...I just hope it doesn't suck

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    canuckont wrote: »

Unfortunately, it kinda does. Can't install weapon mods on it and the special talent on the gun exacerbates the downsides of that by giving a bonus to damage if you hipfire the gun (accuracy is pretty low on the Thompson M1928).

For a more in-depth look at both Thompson variants, skip to 3:55 in this video:

https://youtu.be/p1Po8jvT954?t=236

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Personally I don't let myself drop below 20 million credits for rerolling purposes but yeah cash above that usually gets dumped into GS256 boxes

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    canuckont wrote: »

Unfortunately, it kinda does. Can't install weapon mods on it and the special talent on the gun exacerbates the downsides of that by giving a bonus to damage if you hipfire the gun (accuracy is pretty low on the Thompson M1928).

For a more in-depth look at both Thompson variants, skip to 3:55 in this video:

https://youtu.be/p1Po8jvT954?t=236

This makes me sad...

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I haven't played this game since a I quit a few weeks after the release. How is the DLC? I was thinking of picking up both and running through the game.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.