As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Simplicity isn't really what draws me to Savage Worlds, though I know some people say that's part of why they like it. What draws me to it is just how it handles hits/wounds and more importantly, the fun of knowing that anybody PC or NPC can kill each other suddenly with a few lucky rolls exploding or aceing or whatever they call it.

Probably just gonna have to run a session or two of it to see how the system feels in play to our table.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I like Savage Worlds much for the same reason why like GURPS and HERO. They are generic (enough) and robust (enough) to run just about whatever I want. The catch is support for lots of different settings and prebuilt stuff so I don't have to kitbash tooo much. Savage Worlds is in that sweet spot right now so I'm enjoying it.

That and they have a cyperpunk and RIFTS setting support so that helped. XD

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Destrokk9Destrokk9 Registered User regular
    I just love having to roll up a new hero DURING THE MIDDLE OF A SESSION! Stupid bag of devouring....

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, what kinda mechanics and junk would you guys use for a tribal hack of Blades In the Dark:

Basic setting is a mixture of plains and jungle, a bunch of ruins from civilisations past that are sci-fi toys but might as well be magic to the characters and foreigners with strange, black powder that propels their weapons of death showing up at the shore.

Rather than crews the players are key members of a tribe. Coin becomes Food (the most universal good for bartering, even if it might actually be a bunch of black powder rifles it's measured in how much food it's worth). Rep and Hold represent how large your tribe is and how many of those members are comfortable with the situation.

Currently the actions I've got are:
    Insight

Hunt: Tracking things, throwing spears, using bows

Study: Read people, understand texts, research an intelligent solution

Survey: a location or situation to understand what's going on. Sense trouble before it happens, gather information about opportunities.

Prowess

Prowl: Sneak about, attack when unseen, perform daring athletics

Raid: Straight up fight, break objects,

Command: Intimidate, order and boss people around.

Resolve

Invoke: Talk with the spirits, use shamanistic magic, enchant self with body paint

Concoct: Create and drink herbal potions, heal wounds, make traps and toy with dangerous black powder

Sway: Charm, seduce or tempt someone, disguise or bluff.

So I guess the obvious questions are:

1) Are there any other obvious mechanical adjustments

2) What kind of playbooks would you imagine in the setting (for tribes and the players).

3) Another 3 actions would be nice but I'm actually pretty comfortable with what I've got right now so unless it super fits in I don't think it's needed.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Just a few ideas on Tribes:
    Nomads: Your tribe follows the patterns of nature. You're natural messengers, deal makers and unbiased arbiters for others disputes.
    Guardians: Your tribe is defined by the sacred ground they guard with their lives. You are stealthy warriors, historians and considered magicians by others.
    Raiders: Your tribe takes and claims. You are savage combatants, adaptive inventors and seekers of new ways.

For players:
    Shaman: Speaker to the dead, willing host to mighty spirits, appeaser of the ancients.
    Beast: Run with wolves, trust in your instincts, keep the tribe from offending nature.
    Grand Mother: Keeper of the young, respected healer, woman as goddess.
    Two-Soul: Breaker of social boundaries, witty jester, divine prankster.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Destrokk9 wrote: »
    I just love having to roll up a new hero DURING THE MIDDLE OF A SESSION! Stupid bag of devouring....

Reminds me of a campaign where a team successfully realized a treasure chest was a mimic and defeated it without anybody getting hurt. Only to lose a cleric to a bag of devouring. At that point nobody wanted to touch any loot any more.

• Options
    Just a few ideas on Tribes:
    Nomads: Your tribe follows the patterns of nature. You're natural messengers, deal makers and unbiased arbiters for others disputes.
    Guardians: Your tribe is defined by the sacred ground they guard with their lives. You are stealthy warriors, historians and considered magicians by others.
    Raiders: Your tribe takes and claims. You are savage combatants, adaptive inventors and seekers of new ways.

For players:
    Shaman: Speaker to the dead, willing host to mighty spirits, appeaser of the ancients.
    Beast: Run with wolves, trust in your instincts, keep the tribe from offending nature.
    Grand Mother: Keeper of the young, respected healer, woman as goddess.
    Two-Soul: Breaker of social boundaries, witty jester, divine prankster.

Yeah, these are reasonably close (though better named for a lot of the player playbooks) to what I had in mind. Other ones immediately obvious to me are:

Traders: Your tribe are the middle men, you keep the peace, ensure your trade agreements are respected and source strange requests for others.

Night Owls: Your tribe are scouts, path finders and thieves, you pave the way for others actions without leaving a trace. Others view you as secretive, untrustworthy but key members of society.

PeaceKeepers: You maintain order in the hunting grounds, you are the blade behind the words of the sitting Chieftan of all tribes and prevent criminal or subversive activities destroying diplomacy.

Guardian: Protect the tribe and it's members, proud warriors, loyal to the chief's words.

Foreigner: One of the strange people from the sea, easy access to black powder weapons, seems to have equipment for everything (and abilities that increase load), can never have Invoke trained.

Chieftan: You guide your tribe, you study ancient texts and recent works of art to form a more nuanced understanding of the world. Without you the tribe falls apart.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Is there an RPG for Disney characters, or would my best bet pretty much just be hacking whatever system I like best?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Is there an RPG for Disney characters, or would my best bet pretty much just be hacking whatever system I like best?

Technically? Yes.

pjnbpw6ln7il.jpg

Well there was...

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    There's also Star Wars...

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Technically? Yes.

pjnbpw6ln7il.jpg

Well there was...

I love this deeply flawed game...

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    There are so many things I've got laid out for the DW session tomorrow! I am very excite. Want to share but don't want to spoil things for people who may be in the game. I guess I can do session recap posts?

Still so much to organize!
    But I have maps and little notations and a Google doc and I have a good feeling about things!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Is that the spider girl on the cover that was drawn in impossible poses?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yep. But it is possible to get that posse, you just have to break your spine to do it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    That's Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew).

But, in general, the answer to the question "Was this the [female superhero character] that was drawn in a ridiculous, sexualized pose on a cover?" is going to be "Yes" probably 98% of the time.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    That's Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew).

But, in general, the answer to the question "Was this the [female superhero character] that was drawn in a ridiculous, sexualized pose on a cover?" is going to be "Yes" probably 98% of the time.

I think they are trying to get better at that. With my new comic book store in town I've been reading more comics and those kinds of stupid posses are becoming less and less, imo.

• Options
    The spiderwoman pose wasn't really any more anatomically impossible than a lot of the stuff they've put Peter through over the years. That wasn't really the issue.

The problem was how ridiculously sexualized it was. Which is another issue that's par for the course with comics. The combination just left itself that much more open to ridicule on each count.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The spiderwoman pose wasn't really any more anatomically impossible than a lot of the stuff they've put Peter through over the years. That wasn't really the issue.

The problem was how ridiculously sexualized it was. Which is another issue that's par for the course with comics. The combination just left itself that much more open to ridicule on each count.

I mean, it wasn't like it was a Marvel thing only. Power Girl and her breast size, anyone?

• Options
    So the more I read my cheap little Savage Worlds book I bought the more I'm convinced this isn't gonna be something I end up running. If I was super into running a weird west game I could see myself doing Deadlands, but I'm not that into that idea, and there's no other genre I don't already have a better game for, at least for what my table is into these days.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Savage Worlds can be cool but yeah I wouldn't use it outside of Deadlands

Though I do like Deadlands. The last time we played I was Renee Levesque, Sabre du Quebec!

And believe me I fucked up those vampire worshipping fuckers in the carnival of death well and truly with my blessed sword and LeMat pistols

The actual vampires I left to the boarding schooled gal from the deep south, a teenage girl with dual crossbow pistols and the kind of corseted dress that a daring heroine wears for vampire hunting action

Playing him was so fun, though. I put on a terrible french accent, mimed smoking a lot and flirted terribly with the Vampire Huntress, who couldn't resist my mustachioed heroics

• Options
    I really should have clarified that I was thinking more Gaston, Hercules, Jasmine, etc.

• Options
    I really should have clarified that I was thinking more Gaston, Hercules, Jasmine, etc.

I don't think any of us didn't understand what you were actually looking for. I'm relatively sure it doesn't exist, though. For one thing, I'm sure I'd have run across it by now, and for another it's not exactly Disney's style to license out enough of their own properties to support such a game, especially for something as low yield as a PnP RPG. I'd be really surprised if such a thing has ever existed.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah people are just being snarkmasters. :)

I might suggest Fate Accelerated as a good game for Disney adventures. It has the right level of pulpy adventure and narrative flexibility.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man, I'm just imagining Gaston's FATE sheet.

High Concept: Perfect, a pure paragon!

Trouble: Who does she think she is? That girl has tangled with the wrong man! No one says "no" to Gaston!

Relationships:
    I'm Going to Woo and Marry Belle
    La Fou, I'm Afraid I've Been Thinking
    Crazy Old Maurice, eh?

Aspects:
    No one's slick as Gaston, No one's quick as Gaston
    No one fights like Gaston, Douses lights like Gaston
    No one hits like Gaston, Matches wits like Gaston
    No one shoots like Gaston, Makes those beauts like Gaston

Stunts:
    I'm especially good at expectorating
    I eat 5 dozen eggs
    I use antlers in all of my decorating

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Man, I'm just imagining Gaston's FATE sheet.

Yeah, I can do you up.

High Concept: There's No Man In Town As Admired As You
    Trouble: "No One Says 'No' To Gaston!"

Aspects:
    I'm Going to Woo and Marry Belle
    In A Wrestling Match Nobody Bites Like Gaston
    Roughly the Size of a Barge

Approaches:
    Forceful +3
    Sneaky +2 Flashy +2
    Careful +1 Quick +1
    Clever +0

Stunts:
    And Now That I'm Grown I Eat Five Dozen Eggs: Because I'm Roughly the Size of a Barge, I have an additional mild consequence slot to absorb damage.
    I Promised Myself I'd Be Married To Belle: Because I'm Going to Woo and Marry Belle, once per session I can appear somewhere in the same scene as Belle if it would be remotely possible.
    Even When Taking Your Lumps; Because In A Wrestling Match Nobody Bites Like Gaston, I get +2 to Sneakily Create an Advantage when I'm close enough to something to hide it from view with my body.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    An entire Disney/Broadway game where you have to build your FATE character based ONLY on the lyrics of Disney/Broadway "I am" or "I want" songs...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Since my niece lives with me, my tv is Disney Fairies all the time. Which, there are some good movies in that group (Seriously, go watch The Neverland Beast and tell me you hate it, it's impossible.) But I thought an RPG based on that would be awesome. Each Fairy has a "Talent" like Tinker, Fast Flying, Garden, Water, Animal, Thunder and Lighting, ect. and use "Pixie Dust" as mana for their moves when they use their talents.

Although, with your idea above, you could easily turn that into a Once Upon a Time RPG.

• Options
    So, weird idea for Blades In the Dark that came from thinking of the tribal stuff: Promises

It came from the idea setting wise that the tribes don't have currency proper and work on a bartering system. However they do have a very small number of coins. Minted only by the central tribe and given out in very small numbers: Promisary Coins each bearing the symbol of an influencial tribe on it and each re-deemable for one promise at any given time. If there is a dispute over whether a promise is reasonable then it can go to the head Chieftan's court but excessive punishments for tribe who are found to lack in their duty to act on promisary coins make almost any request preferable. This makes Promisary coins the ultimate bartering currency and method of diplomacy. Often tribes wishing to signal an alliance will trade a promisary coin to eachother. It also makes the coins prime targets for theft as the court does not recognize anything except the current holder as the owner.

In game terms a tribe gets coins equal to their tier. In general if a player declares they are giving a promisary coin it should resolve any situation with other people (you can't bribe Spirits or monsters!). The deal goes through, the attack stops or your crimes are completely forgiven. They also get +1 status with that tribe because they feel confident in the player's co-operation. Players can receive (or steal/con their way to) other tribes promisary coins as well.

If a tribe cashes in on a promisary coin they give the PC's a task. Usually one dangerous or against the current politics of their tribe (otherwise they wouldn't need the coin to make it happen!). Refusing this task costs them a whole tier unless they can convince the court that they were facing an undue task. The effect of them spending a coin should influence whatever tribe's coin it is in a major way for a short period of time.

For traditional Blades you could introduce this as a pact system enforced by a powerful demon or a ritual. It's intended to be another way for players to interact with factions and form relationships with them as well as narrative permission for the GM to cut the players a lot of slack (when the coin is given) in return for a lot of punishment at a later date (when the coin is returned).

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Since my niece lives with me, my tv is Disney Fairies all the time. Which, there are some good movies in that group (Seriously, go watch The Neverland Beast and tell me you hate it, it's impossible.) But I thought an RPG based on that would be awesome. Each Fairy has a "Talent" like Tinker, Fast Flying, Garden, Water, Animal, Thunder and Lighting, ect. and use "Pixie Dust" as mana for their moves when they use their talents.

Having seen those movies a lot, you nailed it. That setting would be super adaptable. Not to mention the Summer/Winter types and the different colors of dust.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    An entire Disney/Broadway game where you have to build your FATE character based ONLY on the lyrics of Disney/Broadway "I am" or "I want" songs...
    This sounds like an insanely compelling exercise.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    This sounds like an insanely compelling exercise.

I dunno, man. It might get pretty tough. Aspects are your character's prominent traits and motivations distilled into something punchy yet catchy, while musical numbers are your character's prominent traits and motivations distilled into something catchy yet punchy.

• Options

Although, with your idea above, you could easily turn that into a Once Upon a Time RPG.

I kinda had something similar to this ideas wise before where the players work together to create a Hero With a Cause! An individual driven to correct a wrong of some sort no matter the cost. They'd build a sheet mostly made out of narrative queues with 13th age background style stuff for skills and room to track their injuries and so on. Said hero is then controlled by the GM.

The players are the tools by which the hero shall achieve their goal: Familiars bound to their soul. From ghosts to enchanted cats, golems to possessing intellects. Each of which has a simple sheet that mostly tracks how they generate magic (letting them create a dice pool they can roll in addition to their base for the magical school), a few unique traits/spells and which schools of magic they're trained in/bad at. The only other main mechanic would be soul shards. Powerful tokens that can be used to influence the Hero to act a specific way or power huge, powerful spells.

It's basically intended to be a narrative game where everyone gets to be powerful wizards making magical mischief.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    so to continue the story from our new DFA campaign, our GM went a little crazy and found a small town in Maine that he proceeded to print out the google maps for, in 40x40 full color; he then laminated it himself to write and draw on

all of the players re-evaluated and did some aspect/mantle adjustment; mine below. I don't recall if anyone else retooled their aspects or not

Cassandra Powers
    HC: Young Warden of the W.C.
    Trouble: It's Always My Business
    Aspects: Not From 'Round Here, Mind Like a Diamond, Great-Uncle Merlin

we also ended up doing some retconning, treating session 1 kinda like the unfinished pilot. we picked up the investigation and it started slow, but once a dead body started walking around downtown things accelerated quickly, with my character accusing the mortal of black wizardry and forcing a soulgaze. we learned we have a Black Court Vampire living in our midst, the cop has a grandma and a (now dead) dog, and we're doing an impromptu autopsy on a 30 year old corpse to check for dark sigils carved into the entrails.

typical friday work.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options

I see that, and it seems quite interesting, but somehow I'm still stuck on my original concept, ala OUAT or the Fables comics. Not that it makes any difference unless I get players, since this seems like the sort of thing that benefits greatly from group setting creation. (Everybody's gotta be on the same page as far as what the characters will be doing -- a party composed of Hercules, Simba, Beast, and Mulan is going to have one set of skills, and one with Donkey, Anna, Tiana, and Nani would have a very different set.)

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    My girlfriend is going to be starting up a Pathfinder campaign at some point in the future. I've played PF before but that was a long time ago and there's a bunch of new stuff out. Any trap choices I need to look out for? Just on the surface the Hunter and the Warpriest sound neat, but I haven't looked at them very closely.

• Options
    I heard if you pick the wrong class in Pathfinder your character's dreams will be haunted by cackling devils with Monte Cook faces on them.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going to be starting up a Pathfinder campaign at some point in the future. I've played PF before but that was a long time ago and there's a bunch of new stuff out. Any trap choices I need to look out for? Just on the surface the Hunter and the Warpriest sound neat, but I haven't looked at them very closely.

Browse the optimizer forums, because those folks have went over each class/archetype so many times that even if you don't go crazy min/max, you'll at least know what are the really bad choices.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Does it bother anyone that you have to worry about trap choices so badly in that game that you need an optimizer forums?

• Options
    Let's be real. You can play Pathfinder without optimizing and still have a fine time if your table isn't into that. It's just a game where optimized builds are going to outshine non-optimized ones in a big way at whatever thing they're best at. Any game that has as many choices as Pathfinder/3.5 is going to have optimizer forums because there are so many choices that most people are not going to find the best combos easily.

And just to be clear, I think Pathfinder is absolutely the wrong type of game to play if you have a mixed table of powergamers and storytellers for example. I would never run it unless everybody at the table was into the optimization game, because that's primarily what that game offers over other games.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    In my case, I'm not concerned about being a powerhouse. I just don't want to run into something like the Scrollmaster, which sounds cool but is objectively terrible. And I've heard that vanilla monks are pretty bad too I think?