As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: Rebellion - Not without my Luke

MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
edited September 2016 in Critical Failures
sw03_anc_slider.jpg

Join the Rebellion! Sign up for the Imperial Navy! Recreate the strategic struggle of the galactic rebellion from roughly episodes 4-6. Send leaders on missions! Capture rebellion heroes and turn them to the dark side! Space battles! Asymmetrical play has the weak rebellion fighting a guerilla war of survival until they can build up their strength. The Empire starts with a massive military and must quickly locate and stamp out the rebels before they grow.

Rules
Rebel objectives

Check out this cool shit! pew pew pew pewpewpew!
sw03_plastic.png

Board
68cowFC.jpg

Empire
JKIClxi.jpg

Rebel
qwQ6HuZ.jpg

Basic turn
Assignment phase- Starting with rebels, each team assigns leaders to missions.

Command phase- Players take turns revealing missions or activating systems (with unallocated leaders from pool) to move units. (Rebel admiral -> Empire admiral -> Empire general -> Rebel general)

Refresh phase-
I- Retrieve leaders
II- Draw missions (draw 2, discard down to max of 10)
III- Launch probe droids (draw 2 probe cards)
IV- Draw objectives (rebel draws 1 objective)
V- Advance time marker (recruit/deploy if marker is shown)
VI- Deploy units (starting with rebels, slide units one space down build queue. Units that slide off the 1 space are deployed to any loyal/subjugated system, limit 2 new units per system)

Combat
Add leader- If a faction does not have a leader in the system, they may place a leader from their pool and place it in system.
Draw tactic cards- Each side draws tactic cards based on his leader's tactic value.
Combat round-
1. Space battle- One round with all ships
2. Ground battle- One round with all ground units
3. Retreat- Starting with current turn player, each player may choose to retreat
4. Repeat if both players still have units in system

We will be using the team version. Each side will be composed of 2 players, one controlling the admiral leaders, the other the generals.

Change to default team rules
Admiral decides what and where to build all space units while the general decides what and where all ground units are built. Both leaders will be sent all cards and can choose whichever mission they wish.

Teammates may PM each other

Imperials post orders in blue
Rebels post orders in red

Dice
1-2: Blank
3-4: Hit
5: Explosion
6: Lightsaber

(both red and black dice have the same icons)

Lykouragh Imperial Admiral
Daemonis Imperial General
JusticeForPluto Rebel Admiral
jdarksun Rebel General

MrBody on

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

• Options
    (taking suggestions for thread title)

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Alright, looks like we have our four!

Everyone read up the rules, and pick which faction you would like and which role (admiral or general). Roles can be found on page 19.

I'm going to be changing the roles a bit because frankly the default is a bit silly. It says the admiral is in charge of building and deploying ALL units, while the general is in charge of drawing and all the mission, probe, and objective cards. But there's no reason for the general to not show his team's admiral all the cards so....his perk is kind of pointless there. It also says the general is in charge of missions and can disallow the admiral from carrying out missions which is just going to lead to fighting and ill will.

I'm changing it to the admiral decides what and where to build all space units while the general decides what and where all ground units are built. Both leaders will be sent all cards and can choose whichever mission they wish.

The official rule is also pretty silly when it comes to team discussion. It says all discussions must be open and in front of the other players, but that you can whisper to your teammate, meaning there's no point to the open discussion rule. Rule for this game is PMs are allowed.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Prefer to be Imperial. No matter admiral or general.

• Options
    I guess here's my stack rank for roles, but I'm happy no matter what-

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial General
    Rebel Admiral
    Rebel General

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016
    Not in the game, but just mentioning a variant rule that has worked well for me. During the setup, ignore the faction symbols on the probe cards and just use the first populous planets drawn.

It gives the rebel planets a chance to not be adjacent to the imperial ones, so they can't have all their production removed on the first turn.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    (taking suggestions for thread title)
    Something something something COMPLETE.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    Not in the game, but just mentioning a variant rule that has worked well for me. During the setup, ignore the faction symbols on the probe cards and just use the first populous planets drawn.

It gives the rebel planets a chance to not be adjacent to the imperial ones, so they can't have all their production removed on the first turn.

How does that ensure non-adjacency over the default setup? Wouldn't it have Rebel planets start out right next to Coruscant?

@JusticeforPluto to choose Rebel General or Admiral

• Options
    I'll take Admiral.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Starting map
    WJD4gco.jpg

Imperials to place the following at any loyal or subjugated system:

3 star destroyers
    3 assault carriers
    12 TIE fighters
    12 stormtroopers
    5 AT-ST
    1 AT-AT
    1 Death Star

At least 1 ground unit must be placed in each system

@Lykouragh
    @Daemonis

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »

How does that ensure non-adjacency over the default setup? Wouldn't it have Rebel planets start out right next to Coruscant?

@JusticeforPluto to choose Rebel General or Admiral

The default setup rules, all but one rebel starting planet probe are adjacent to an imperial starting planet probe (Ryloth). So if you ignore the probe indicators for both sides, you get a much wider range of available planets, so there is less a chance of them dropping next to each other. A lot of it comes down to the luck of the draw, but its weighted pretty heavily in imperial favor, especially since rebels can only defend one starting planet (and don't even really have the forces to actually defend it against even a third of the imperials at that point).

As is in that screenshot, the rebels are going to lose Kashyyk before it can even build anything, barring horrible dice rolls.

Yeah, it can mean the rebels can start right next to Coruscant. Personally I don't have a problem with that, as it actually gives the imperials a reason to defend it before turn like 8.

• Options
    This setup is the best one for Rebels I've ever seen (two planets not going to be subjugated turn 1!).

I think Rebels being mostly subjugated early is deliberate and part of the game's balance. They have no trouble winning anyway.

• Options
    Your unit placement?

• Options
    Sorry, we were discussing.

Ship placement:
    Mygeeto:
    1 Carrier

Kashyyk:
    1 Death Star
    1 Carrier
    4 TIE

Coruscant:
    1 TIE

Sullust:
    2 Star Destroyer
    1 Carrier
    4 TIE

Mustafar:
    1 Star Destroyer
    3 TIE

• Options
    And by "Kashyyk" I mean "Mandalore", getting ahead of myself there :).

@Daemonis, you want to place the groundpounders?

• Options
    Putting together all the images now, please continue until I can update.

Bonus: in searching for a death star picture, I came across this nerd gem

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/unicron-vs-the-death-star-638979/

• Options
    Ground force placement

Mygeeto:
    1 AT-ST
    2 stormtroopers

Mandalore:
    1 AT-AT
    1 AT-ST
    2 stormtroopers

Corellia:
    1 Stormtrooper

Coruscant:
    1 Stormtrooper

Sullust:
    4 stormtroopers
    2 AT-ST

Mustafar:
    1 AT-ST
    2 stormtroopers

• Options
    edited April 2016
    5OH9k8b.jpg

@JusticeforPluto
    @jdarksun

for unit placement

Remember that "Rebel Base" is also a valid placement location for units.

Also choose where you secretly want the Rebel Base and PM it. You may choose any system besides the starting Imperial ones.

Keep in mind that the Rebels will always have a mission card that lets them relocate the base (draw 4 probe cards and pick one new location).

MrBody on
  • Options
    These are important to know. Posting each side's starting mission cards they will have available every turn.

lTGPpij.jpg

46A3ZQd.jpg

• Options
    Die face values are now in the OP. Both red & black dice have the same facings.

• Options
    X wing, Transport and Y wing on Tatooninie

X Wing, Y Wing and Corvette in Base.

• Options
    And that's the moment I realized it was legal for Rebels to put units in neutral systems on setup...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    And that's the moment I realized it was legal for Rebels to put units in neutral systems on setup...

Rebels can also place units on remote systems during setup, which can't be done during normal gameplay (deploy phase).

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @jdarksun for Rebel ground forces

MrBody on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    3x Rebel Troopers, 1x Airspeed on Tatooine.

3x Rebel Troopers, 1x Airspeed in Base.

• Options
    Setup
    c326Hwj.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Turn 1 - Assignment phase
    @jdarksun @JusticeforPluto

Rebels commit leaders to ("facedown", secret PM'd to me) missions or leave them in reserve at pool.

Basic recap of missions: You may attempt missions by assigning 1-2 leaders to each mission card. The total number of the leader icons must meet the number/type on the card. You must reveal which leaders are going on missions (and if 2 leaders are going on the same mission) but you do not reveal what the mission is until the command phase turn you attempt it. Missions automatically succeed unless opposed by an enemy leader. Once the assignment phase is over, the command phase has everyone taking a turn by revealing one mission or using a leader in the pool to activate a system for movement (which works just like the command counter movement system from Twilight Imperium). Command phase turns keep going until everyone has passed.

In order to oppose an enemy mission or activate a system for unit movement, it must be with a leader from your pool (not assigned to a mission).

MrBody on
  • Options
  • Options
    Rebels play
    HJ9m6JT.jpg

to Mon Mothma

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Rebel assignment

Missions:
    -Jan + Leia
    -Mon Mothma

Pool
    General Rieekan

@Lykouragh @Daemonis for assignment phase

MrBody on
  • Options
    Empire assignment

Missions:
    -Darth Vader

Pool
    Grand Moff Tarken
    Emperor Palpatine
    General Tacce

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Turn 1- Command Phase

Rebel admiral -> Empire admiral -> Empire general -> Rebel general

@JusticeforPluto to reveal mission or activate system (or pass)

MrBody on
  • Options
    Isn't it Rebel Admiral->Empire Admiral->Empire General->Rebel General?

(not that I'm complaining if I'm wrong, your version is more favorable to the Empire... :) )

• Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Isn't it Rebel Admiral->Empire Admiral->Empire General->Rebel General?

(not that I'm complaining if I'm wrong, your version is more favorable to the Empire... :) )

Oops, had some extra after copy pasting. Fixed.

• Options
    Reveal "Support of Mon Calamari"

Place in said system with Mon Mothma.

• Options
    YUnSVuZ.jpg
    Mon Mothma (3 yellow diplomacy icons)

@Lykouragh to choose whether or not to oppose