As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I did the CO interview. I think it went well and they'd probably give me the job. Problem is it's 12 hour shifts (7-7) and starting pay is 10.80/hr, well below what I need to pay my bills. Also you work 36/48 hours depending on the week with no overtime.

Funny thing is the DoC claims average salary in this county is ~27,000. Guess someone needs to update their numbers.

Goddamn this sucks. It was supposed to be my best shot at getting paid what I need.

That averages 44 hours of work a week. How the fuck does that work out without overtime?

Yeah, unless you are salaried exempt, you get OT pay starting the very minute you work over 40 hours in a week.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    It is. My income is entirely project based, so I get paid X for every complete project, regardless of time spent on a project. As I've gotten more experience under my belt, I've been able to get them done faster. So it's a good sales pitch, do five projects, get paid 5*X, do 10 projects, get 10*X.

But then there's the huge hitches. All projects need final approval from a boss. But they're working on their own projects too, and since they're not losing money because I'm just sitting around collecting salary, signing off on my projects is the lowest priority. Not to mention that training was almost nil because there was no economic benefit to my bosses to actually train me.

This year I have literally had completed projects sit in the hopper for two or more months because bosses get too busy to sign off on my projects or they're making sure their own projects get done first.

This is a situation where it's "OK, that's fine that we're cancelling, but as a result of your initial approval and subsequent withdrawal, I'm asking to be paid .5*X as a proration".

It's fine if he never signed off, but if you have documented proof of the go-ahead and he changed his mind, well tough shit for him.

• Options
    Ah, Monday morning.

The lovely anxiety of waiting for all those interviews to get back to you now that the weekend is over.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    It is. My income is entirely project based, so I get paid X for every complete project, regardless of time spent on a project. As I've gotten more experience under my belt, I've been able to get them done faster. So it's a good sales pitch, do five projects, get paid 5*X, do 10 projects, get 10*X.

But then there's the huge hitches. All projects need final approval from a boss. But they're working on their own projects too, and since they're not losing money because I'm just sitting around collecting salary, signing off on my projects is the lowest priority. Not to mention that training was almost nil because there was no economic benefit to my bosses to actually train me.

This year I have literally had completed projects sit in the hopper for two or more months because bosses get too busy to sign off on my projects or they're making sure their own projects get done first.

This is a situation where it's "OK, that's fine that we're cancelling, but as a result of your initial approval and subsequent withdrawal, I'm asking to be paid .5*X as a proration".

It's fine if he never signed off, but if you have documented proof of the go-ahead and he changed his mind, well tough shit for him.

Would love to, but not in at-will employment, and not when some personalities make personal interactions, particularly when pointing out someone's fault, completely unpredictable.

Certainly doesn't mean I'm not looking for other jobs.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    So I did the CO interview. I think it went well and they'd probably give me the job. Problem is it's 12 hour shifts (7-7) and starting pay is 10.80/hr, well below what I need to pay my bills. Also you work 36/48 hours depending on the week with no overtime.

Funny thing is the DoC claims average salary in this county is ~27,000. Guess someone needs to update their numbers.

Goddamn this sucks. It was supposed to be my best shot at getting paid what I need.

That averages 44 hours of work a week. How the fuck does that work out without overtime?

Yeah, unless you are salaried exempt, you get OT pay starting the very minute you work over 40 hours in a week.

Well I know there is some sort of "thing" where weeks like 36/44 can be done without OT but that averages to 40 a week.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    When this job is good, it's good. It just hasn't been good for a while.

• Options

Well I know there is some sort of "thing" where weeks like 36/44 can be done without OT but that averages to 40 a week.

Average, shmaverage.

In any single given week, (as the employer defines a "week", which could be Monday to Sunday) if you go over 40 hours, you get OT pay.

If you work 38 hours in week 1, and 42 hours in week two, you get 2 hours of overtime pay. If they are telling you otherwise, that is 100% bullshit. That is federal labor law. Period.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm
    Averaging of hours over two or more weeks is not permitted.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

Something about how it balances out or some shit. I didn't ask any questions, I was still too in shock from how little they offered.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The job I had before the hell did the 3 on 3 off 4 on 4 off so it was 36 one week 48 the other
    I never really could figure out how they did not pay me for overtime for the one week
    Still I thought it was poorly run but was I ever wrong

• Options
    edited May 2016

Something about how it balances out or some shit. I didn't ask any questions, I was still too in shock from how little they offered.

If they are averaging hours, they are absolutely, unequivocally, without exception, breaking federal law.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    The job I had before the hell did the 3 on 3 off 4 on 4 off so it was 36 one week 48 the other
    I never really could figure out how they did not pay me for overtime for the one week

It was illegal, that's how.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

My first job had that schedule and we got paid overtime. But then that was in pharma and they are super by-the-book.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Some jurisdictions do not pay overtime until you go over 44 hours in a week and there are some really oddball job classifications where you don't get overtime at all, but those are really edge cases, it really depends on your state/province

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I didn't push the issue since I lost interest when they mentioned 12 hour shifts and 10.80/hr.

The way they spoke about it seems to mean that's standard practice for them and is somehow legit.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I didn't push the issue since I lost interest when they mentioned 12 hour shifts and 10.80/hr.

The way they spoke about it seems to mean that's standard practice for them and is somehow legit.

I think that may fall under "haven't gotten caught".

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    not in at-will employment

Every time someone in the thread says this, my heart dies a little bit on the inside.

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    Project cancellation is a type of completion.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Every time someone in the thread says this, my heart dies a little bit on the inside.

Yeah, technically I'm at-will, but thankfully have been able to feel comfortable enough to push things I saw to be correct without too much fear of my life going to shit (thought definitely some, as I have generally had little backstop beyond a place to sleep). I know it's not that simple for many people, which sucks.

• Options

If they are averaging hours, they are absolutely, unequivocally, without exception, breaking federal law.

That's true, though note the exception there about law enforcement and later on governmental workers so if CO means Corrections Officer that is how I would bet they're getting around it.

Which is still bullshit and all.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    It does mean that. That's pretty fucked up. Why in the world is there an exception for that?

Magus` on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Industry lobbying? The prison-industrial complex is pretty powerful.

• Options
    Congress loves passing workplace laws that doesn't apply to the workplaces it has to deal with.

• Options
    They also said shifts can change weekly. As mentioned earlier I need guaranteed hours due to my IBS. I can manage symptoms but only if I know what my day is going to be like.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I have a phone interview tomorrow for a new job. I hope it goes well cause it sounds like I'd really enjoy working there!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited May 2016
    Good luck, Dave! You're the best, and will absolutely rock this!!

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I have a phone interview tomorrow for a new job. I hope it goes well cause it sounds like I'd really enjoy working there!

Now I'm imagining a bunch of hiring managers looking at resumes, and one turns to the other and asks, "so what about That Dave Fella?"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    chromdom wrote: »
    I am having one of those 'this is really good!' days.
    No, I am having one of those 'is this really good or am I just confused' days.
    No, I am having one those 'jeezis christ I need to shoot myself in the face' days.

This will be was cross posted to the job from the love thread 'cause it's one of those kind of days.

chromdom on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    i dont work in the US so different laws, but my schedule is averaged to 40 hrs per week. meaning sometimes i work 60 and sometimes i work less than 40. i dont get automatic OT for those hours which go over 40 in the week. my job is regulated enough that there is no way my employer could be under the "illegal but not yet caught" category.

any additional time worked outside of the regular schedule is paid at OT rates though. i get an automatic half hour paid at double time each shift because i have to come in early for turnover.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    I may be forced to take the job, if offered. Even though the pay is shit and they don't have to pay OT, it's about the best thing I've seen so far.

I really, really wanted to keep my work week at 40 hours and sure as shit don't want to get up around 6 for a 7-7 shift. God this sucks.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    12 hour shifts suck at first but after a while they seem normal.

If I work an 8 hour shift it feels really short.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I love how touchy the quants get when we start messing with their code. I know they like to think they can code everything up but copying and pasting code into an R console isn't really what we consider a production capable server.

But I do get to play with a shiny new NVidia K80 card so that might make dealing with the econometricians more tolerable.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Showed up back to work after 2 months medical leave due to spinal surgery to find that, yes, the woman covering for me now has my job and I have... something else?

The reason given was that unless she took over my stuff she wouldn't have enough to warrant keeping her employed here but now I have less than she did so....?

If it wasn't happening for real it'd be funny.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    schuss wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

Yeah, technically I'm at-will, but thankfully have been able to feel comfortable enough to push things I saw to be correct without too much fear of my life going to shit (thought definitely some, as I have generally had little backstop beyond a place to sleep). I know it's not that simple for many people, which sucks.

At-will works fine as long as there's some degree of trust between the employer and the employee. But when that trust isn't there and it's a genuine question of whether or not pushing on something could blow up catastrophically in your face, it absolutely means you're taking shots to the gut over and over again until you find something better.

And I can take shots to the gut just fine if I was getting paid enough (or at all), but I'm not, so that takes away the other motivator.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    12 hour shifts suck at first but after a while they seem normal.

If I work an 8 hour shift it feels really short.

We've got a break right now and only work six hour days and it feels like I have all the time in the world.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Showed up back to work after 2 months medical leave due to spinal surgery to find that, yes, the woman covering for me now has my job and I have... something else?

The reason given was that unless she took over my stuff she wouldn't have enough to warrant keeping her employed here but now I have less than she did so....?

If it wasn't happening for real it'd be funny.

And now I just got subpoenaed for a drunk driver accident trial that happened in front of my house I never even saw.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• Options
    It's more the starting time. I often get really nauseous when I wake up. My last job was 5 minutes away, this one is 25. If they had like 8 to 8 it would be.. better.

It also means I'll go at least 13 hours without eating due to IBS. I can manage that, even if it will be very unpleasant.

I'm still halfway hoping the job my friend recommended for me comes through. It's only about 25 hours but it's 16/hour and three days a week. I could fit some part time work in between.

Nothing like going through this shit let's you realize how much your last job really helped financially, even if it paid half the national average for the position.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I love how touchy the quants get when we start messing with their code. I know they like to think they can code everything up but copying and pasting code into an R console isn't really what we consider a production capable server.

But I do get to play with a shiny new NVidia K80 card so that might make dealing with the econometricians more tolerable.

What kind of fps does it pull running Crysis?

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    In the ongoing saga of maybe working at literally my dream job, they haven't confirmed the phone interview time yet.

I'm forcing myself to be patient and not to follow up until tomorrow EOD because they're probably busy but hnnnnnng.

Oats on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    New job seems great so far. Low-ish pay but that comes with free health care (no premiums for a single person), up to 20 (!) vacation days a year, and because they're a community kitchen (in part) employees can buy some of what they're giving away for $4/meal, meaning i can get something different once each week cheap and without having to leave the premises.

No retirement plan either but fuck it, i'll just start an IRA after i buy a less-old car.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Goddammit i'm starting to get really annoyed with headhunters. This set of 3 entirely different companies contact me out of the blue for a job doing something I would arguably love doing. Only when I take time off work for the first person do they reveal that its a 6 month contract position.

Only when I press them on it do they reveal that it pays less than my current job.
    Only when I press them further do they reveal that it does not cover normal benefits like health, dental, vision, etc.
    Only when the interview ends do they reveal its not a 6 month but a 3 month position, and that im 4 years overqualified for it but I should take it anyway because reasons.

Thanks for wasting 3 hours of my pto, you misleading fucks. You want to recruit me dont start spouting off about the gig economy while offering me entry level wages. Its crazy how people will lie through their teeth to get you to maybe work for them. To be fair though I 100% should have asked all of that stuff before even meeting with them.

Barcardi on
This discussion has been closed.