As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    How long was the gap between SMT3 and SMT4

Nocturne JPN: 2003, NA: 2004

SMT 4: JPN: 2013, NA: 2014

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Fuck's sake that is a long time

SMT5 ain't gonna be here no time soon

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I definitely want that Day One Edition. Is that only through the Square Enix store too?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I definitely want that Day One Edition. Is that only through the Square Enix store too?

Only the CE is exclusive to SE's store.

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the fact that they charge you shipping, even though you'll get it on launch day regardless of which shipping option you choose.

• Options

Only the CE is exclusive to SE's store.

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the fact that they charge you shipping, even though you'll get it on launch day regardless of which shipping option you choose.

Yeah but I also get 20% off at Amazon.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

I mean, they made Imagine and Strange Journey I'm between 3 and 4.

Ignoring other projects like devil summoner.

So I guess it really depends on if they decide to dabble in more spinoffs. Though strange journey was smt as they can be..

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ugh, I almost forgot I should go finish that FFXIV tech demo to get Carbuncle huh

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Strange Journey was 2009/2010 and I believe they said the only reason it wasn't properly called SMT4 was because it didn't take place in Tokyo

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    I'm still debating on whether to cancel my SE order of the FFXV CE or my Amazon order of the Deluxe Edition.

The latter is much cheaper, and it seems silly to pay what seems to be an extra $100 for a Noctis figure.

But the logic part of my brain says "Don't pay almost $300 for a fucking game" while the irrational part counters with "Yeah but what if this is actually the best FF ever?"

• Options
    I'm still debating on whether to cancel my SE order of the FFXV CE or my Amazon order of the Deluxe Edition.

The latter is much cheaper, and it seems silly to pay what seems to be an extra $100 for a Noctis figure.

But the logic part of my brain says "Don't pay almost $300 for a fucking game" while the irrational part counters with "Yeah but what if this is actually the best FF ever?"

You get the game either way, an overpriced figure will not change if it's good or not.

• Options
    Yeah but then I wouldn't have the super-duper CE with the cool figure of Noctis, aka my new favorite character ever.

Seriously, that's a bullshit price and I'll almost certainly cancel the order.

Maybe.

Probably.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about final fantasy, but I do want to say that a "carbuncle surprise" sounds terrible.

I don't want that.

Also I think I'd rather save 20% off the pre-order through Amazon instead of Squenix.

• Options
    Yeah, Strange Journey was definitely a real-ass SMT

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    guys POTD in ffxiv is cool

a fun side effect of the levelling in it is that its great for checking out classes you haven't played yet. I have a level 15 pugilist but I can see what its like to be level 60 while getting good rewards

Since you mention playing classes you haven't leveled, how does it handle jobs? Do you just get there job crystal for within the dungeon as soon as you hit an appropriate level or are you kind of boned unless you've leveled that class to at least 30?

You don't get a job crystal so you miss on those abilities. Honestly though at least for the 50 floors currently in, can't speak for the next 150, you'll be fine regardless

Also I should mention if you max out the POTD weapon/armor you can get an i235 weapon

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    6 years is also a long time, still

Like, that's a console gen plus change

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a real good way to level lower level classes as well

So maybe I just ended up bringing everything to 30 to collect job crystals anyway

• Options

03: nocturne
    04: nocturne maniax
    07: Imagine (which was originally worked on by the normal team before being transferred to cave to finish)
    09: Strange Journey (which is what the team moved to after handing over imagine)
    13: 4
    16:4a

With some people moving around for things like devil summoner and devil survivor.

I dunno, they seem to have a pretty good dev cycle going. Though Imagine kind of burned to the ground, I thought it was pretty cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

The gap between P4 and P5 is 8 years (ignoring the weird spinoffs and Golden)

So SMT is moving at a decent pace, comparatively.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

It's so weird.

Like, it's not even remotely copying any previous FF aesthetics or gameplay styles. It's a tribute to retro beat-em-ups from a franchise that never dabbled in it.

I mean it still looks pretty neat, but it's still weird.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a real good way to level lower level classes as well

So maybe I just ended up bringing everything to 30 to collect job crystals anyway

A 1-50 run will definitely get you like 2.5 levels or so on a mid level class

Actually though if you are like, sub 20 it's really inefficient because the exp is % of level based, so it'd be much faster to do hunting logs and some fates for a while

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Well I mean if I'm only counting numbered entries then SMT still has it beat; and I might as well, since I've only bought SMT4 and if I pick up another it'll be SMT3 probably

You know come to think of it

In a way Persona is the "main" SMT series at this point, by which I mean it gets lots of money poured into it because it makes lots of money

I wonder what SMT4 would have looked like with a Persona-sized budget

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hmm

That CE is neat but...

I can't realistically justify spending $120 on it (or even $96 if it goes up on Amazon)

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    that world of FF collectors ed. might be the first CE I buy in a long time

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

Well I mean if I'm only counting numbered entries then SMT still has it beat; and I might as well, since I've only bought SMT4 and if I pick up another it'll be SMT3 probably

You know come to think of it

In a way Persona is the "main" SMT series at this point, by which I mean it gets lots of money poured into it because it makes lots of money

I wonder what SMT4 would have looked like with a Persona-sized budget

I really hope once they've got an engine and all of the demon models on a modern system they experiment more like they did in the PS2 days

Digital Devil Saga is in the running for my favourite game(s) ever and that only exists because of the framework of Nocturne

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    remember when they made catherine as a way to familiarize themselves with ps3 hardware

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Catherine made me want the Persona game but the cast are all in there late 20s-30s that we'll never get

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Catherine is so good

I should really replay it sometime, I got a digital version on the cheap a while back

• Options
    Catherine is amazing

ly transphobic

Like wow I hope Atlus stays far away from anything about gender identity in Persona 5

I liked it when it came out but I have maybe grown a bit in how I see these things

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Catherine made me want the Persona game but the cast are all in there late 20s-30s that we'll never get

That would be a dream game right there.

Now I want it... so badly..

• Options
    28359917582_93b5afd71c_o.jpg

The Law of Neps

She who will come to guide the souls of all Jurps, so that they do not leave despair on the world.

If someone says it is wrong to Nep, I will tell them they are wrong every time.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The only thing that has me interested in this one is that it seems to be slightly .hack-y

No, not Log Horizon-y

And DEFINITELY NOT Sword Art Online-y

Renzo on
  • Options
    6 days to go to what

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    there is far too much Nep coming out constantly.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    there is far too much Nep coming out constantly.

Dis. A. Gree.

Never too much Nep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    The only thing that has me interested in this one is that it seems to be slightly .hack-y

No, not Log Horizon-y

And DEFINITELY NOT Sword Art Online-y

That's too bad: I'd be all over Nepgear trying to run an MMO's economy.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    6 days to go to what

I'm guessing "Nep" is short for the Neptunia series.

You know

The JRPGs on Steam that market themselves primarily with pictures of giant anime tits

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    6 days to go to what

You know

The JRPGs on Steam that market themselves primarily with pictures of giant anime tits

I thought that was the Sakura series?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    6 days to go to what

You know

I thought that was the Sakura series?
    If we sat down and started listing all the series that this applies to (and/or arguing about whether the distinction is fair), Tube would shut this thread right on down

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    6 days to go to what

You know

now now some of those pictures are tied up oiled 10 year olds

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.