Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Hmm. Just came across this passage in a Ringer article about movies in general that does not bode well for The Batman: (https://theringer.com/movie-industry-shifts-peak-tv-arrival-moonlight-f0a5ddd85384)
    “I was having dinner with a couple of executives who know other executives who are working on the [forthcoming] Batman movie, The Batman,” Ellis tells me. “And they were just telling me that there are serious problems with the script. And that the executives I was having dinner with were complaining about people who work on the Batman movie. And they just said they went to the studio and they said, ‘Look, the script is … Here’s 30 things that are wrong with it that we can fix.’ And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’ So I do think global concerns play a big part in how movies, and what movies, are being made, obviously.”

hippofant on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Lego Batman looks amazing.

Can we get Lego Superman please?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    If it's happy Superman you desire, he's busy over in the current season of Supergirl.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Hmm. Just came across this passage in a Ringer article about movies in general that does not bode well for The Batman: (https://theringer.com/movie-industry-shifts-peak-tv-arrival-moonlight-f0a5ddd85384)
    “I was having dinner with a couple of executives who know other executives who are working on the [forthcoming] Batman movie, The Batman,” Ellis tells me. “And they were just telling me that there are serious problems with the script. And that the executives I was having dinner with were complaining about people who work on the Batman movie. And they just said they went to the studio and they said, ‘Look, the script is … Here’s 30 things that are wrong with it that we can fix.’ And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’ So I do think global concerns play a big part in how movies, and what movies, are being made, obviously.”

You'd think that the executives might grasp that while a borked script might not kill your box office take, it should have a pretty serious impact on DVD sales.

If that is an accurate indication of what WB is thinking, then it sounds like their plan is to ride the hype train, front load the ticket sales, and be totally content with their tent pole movies pulling in $700-800M and being considered sub-par. Half-ass it and make 3/4 of a billion at the box office, critics don't matter, fan reactions don't matter, you'll still pull in the ducats. Maybe you'll leave money on the table with the DVD sales, but ain't nobody going to get fired for that when there's that much green coming in up front. Not when the studio doesn't seem to care about quality.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

You'd think that the executives might grasp that while a borked script might not kill your box office take, it should have a pretty serious impact on DVD sales.

If that is an accurate indication of what WB is thinking, then it sounds like their plan is to ride the hype train, front load the ticket sales, and be totally content with their tent pole movies pulling in $700-800M and being considered sub-par. Half-ass it and make 3/4 of a billion at the box office, critics don't matter, fan reactions don't matter, you'll still pull in the ducats. Maybe you'll leave money on the table with the DVD sales, but ain't nobody going to get fired for that when there's that much green coming in up front. Not when the studio doesn't seem to care about quality.

Just when we thought the worst we had to worry about was Snyder. Welp.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

It's always been known it wasn't just him. After all, he didn't hire himself or let himself keep working on the properties.
    The grand high muckity mucks didn't care about how bad his movies were because they still brought in the money.

Even if you get rid of Snyder 100% you still have to deal with them.

• Options
    edited November 2016

It's always been known it wasn't just him. After all, he didn't hire himself or let himself keep working on the properties.
    The grand high muckity mucks didn't care about how bad his movies were because they still brought in the money.

Well yeah, but at least there was a chance they may not be as bad as Snyder is. Though it would explain many things, aside from Snyder.

edit: The question is - is Johns one of them?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Now if Cavill could have those writers, he would be fucking amazing.

Something about that superman feels off tbh, he looks like he got ripped right out of days of our lives or some bullshit.

and that suit is atrocious

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Well yeah, but at least there was a chance they may not be as bad as Snyder is. Though it would explain many things, aside from Snyder.

edit: The question is - is Johns one of them?

At this point I think they're probably worse than Snyder. Say what you will about the tenents of Snyder's grimdarkness, at least it's an ethos. The inhabitants of the WB corner offices seem to be content with pushing out shovelware. I bet the only criteria they have is the budget stays below $200M, they're PG-13, and they can get a Chinese release.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Literally had this conversation the other day:

"Why won't they just copy the Batman cartoon?"

"That's what everybody says."

"No, but really...why not get the writers who made that cartoon everyone loved, and get them to write the movies?"

"......."

"It makes sense, right?"

I didn't have a good response from that point other than it must be a big office full of stupid people in charge.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters is what happens when you let the DCAU dudes make an "adult" DC Movie. It was pretty good.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pretty good, but not great, and that was mostly because one writer got to stick his incredibly awkward and squicky subplot in...

Oh wait, you're not talking about the Killing Joke adaption, are you?

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters is what happens when you let the DCAU dudes make an "adult" DC Movie. It was pretty good.

Pretty fucking good. Especially since it was a soft PG-13, so the adult bits hit and stuck. DCU is about 90% dark and violent, but still stays in the bounds of the PG -13 rating, so you end up with sameness all around. Gods and Monsters is light style animation with brief moments of gore, death, or cursing, so the 'adult' bits stand out. Less stylized, more 'real'. Or at least real seaming.

• Options
    For a second I thought you were talking about Justice League War.

Based on the animated adaptations I've seen, it seems not even the animated team can salvage the New 52 storylines.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Based on the animated adaptations I've seen, it seems not even the animated team can salvage the New 52 storylines.

To be fair, for a while the DTV team had the mandate to do nothing but New 52 plot lines (and only the ones that involved Batman or Superman), and they had barely a year or two of them to choose from.

But yeah, Flashpoint and Justice League: Punching Darkseid were real stinkers.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Watching those clips above

Why would anyone even try robbing a bank in Metropolis? That's like trying to rob an ATM that's inside a police station

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

To be fair, for a while the DTV team had the mandate to do nothing but New 52 plot lines (and only the ones that involved Batman or Superman), and they had barely a year or two of them to choose from.

Didn't know Flashpoint was New 52.

I liked that one a bit, actually.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Didn't know Flashpoint was New 52.

I liked that one a bit, actually.

It's literally the thing that caused New 52. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    War was bad but the action was pretty good and more creative than most of the DCEU fights.

• Options
    So watched the Wonder Woman trailer. Nooooope. No hook, no interest generated, no indication of anything like a coherent plot, just a vague excuse for punching and explosions. It says 'look, it's Wonder Woman doing awesome looking shit', but I don't care. Lots of movies have their characters doing some awesome looking shit, but if I don't care about the characters, then I don't care what they're doing. And this trailer didn't give me any hint that I'm going to care about the character.

It's better looking than the BvS trailers, I'll give it that, it's got about 60% less Darkness, No Parents; but still pretty grey, lots of CGI, extra slo-mo. Even if the entire rest of the movie is all Gal Gadot T&A I'm not watching this.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So watched the Wonder Woman trailer. Nooooope. No hook, no interest generated, no indication of anything like a coherent plot, just a vague excuse for punching and explosions. It says 'look, it's Wonder Woman doing awesome looking shit', but I don't care. Lots of movies have their characters doing some awesome looking shit, but if I don't care about the characters, then I don't care what they're doing. And this trailer didn't give me any hint that I'm going to care about the character.

It's better looking than the BvS trailers, I'll give it that, it's got about 60% less Darkness, No Parents; but still pretty grey, lots of CGI, extra slo-mo. Even if the entire rest of the movie is all Gal Gadot T&A I'm not watching this.

Clearly you stopped watching before the end when this baby kicked in. Listen to it, drink it in mannnnn, feel the hope run through you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_o7XUX3fg

• Options
    Literally had this conversation the other day:

"Why won't they just copy the Batman cartoon?"

"That's what everybody says."

"No, but really...why not get the writers who made that cartoon everyone loved, and get them to write the movies?"

"......."

"It makes sense, right?"

I didn't have a good response from that point other than it must be a big office full of stupid people in charge.

A year or two ago I'd have agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNrVCbmjhe4

Now we know.

• Options

Clearly you stopped watching before the end when this baby kicked in. Listen to it, drink it in mannnnn, feel the hope run through you.

I watched until the end, but unless it's being played atop the Doof Wagon I'm not caring. It's like we're so desperate for something from DC to not suck that a theme song and Gal looking good in the outfit are held out as reasons to hope.

The problems with the DCU movies have little to do with the casting or soundtracks.

• Options

I watched until the end, but unless it's being played atop the Doof Wagon I'm not caring. It's like we're so desperate for something from DC to not suck that a theme song and Gal looking good in the outfit are held out as reasons to hope.

The problems with the DCU movies have little to do with the casting or soundtracks.

I was joking, the song is completely inappropriate to the character and even more inappropriate as a theme for the character.

• Options

I was joking, the song is completely inappropriate to the character and even more inappropriate as a theme for the character.

Sorry, I'm just annoyed as shit that this is the crap that WB is shoveling. I'm not saying that making a good movie is easy, but it's not rocket science. There's some solid basic rules that should be followed, yet WB just doesn't care, and worse, they're succeeding despite the lack of quality.

Sigh.

• Options

Sorry, I'm just annoyed as shit that this is the crap that WB is shoveling. I'm not saying that making a good movie is easy, but it's not rocket science. There's some solid basic rules that should be followed, yet WB just doesn't care, and worse, they're succeeding despite the lack of quality.

Sigh.

DCEU never stood a chance. It's sad.

• Options

Sigh.

DCEU never stood a chance. It's sad.

Fuck it, they should just go ahead and make that Sandman movie where Morpheus crashes through the window just in time to save Death from the Corinthian.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Why do I have the feeling some WB suit has said, "Sandman? Wasn't he in one of Sony's Spider-Man movies? That's our character?"

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    As long as Zack Snyder doesn't get his hands on Sandman, I'm okay.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Save Sandman for Tim Burton, please.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

This will either be completely terrible or a master piece, there is no in-between.

• Options

Only if he casts Depp as Desire, otherwise I have no interest in another Burton hyperstylized mess. Gilliam would be my choice, with del Toro assisting somehow (pretty sure that'd be a shit show in reality, but as an idealized dream team it'd be awesome).

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Please, no. Burton's turned himself into a brand, lacking the strangeness and heart his best films had. Present-day Tim Burton shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Sandman.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Just wait, we'll find out Wonder Woman's mother is named Martha in the film universe. It'll tie everything together!

• Options

Just wait, we'll find out Wonder Woman's mother is named Martha in the film universe. It'll tie everything together!

She's immortal, she's probably Bruce's mother and had to fake her death after being shot so people wouldn't get suspicious, and then started a new life as Martha Kent with some prosthetics added over time to convey aging.

• Options

She's immortal, she's probably Bruce's mother and had to fake her death after being shot so people wouldn't get suspicious, and then started a new life as Martha Kent with some prosthetics added over time to convey aging.

Don't give DC ideas, and I'm pretty sure he tried to hit on her in the movie so

• Options

Don't give DC ideas, and I'm pretty sure he tried to hit on her in the movie so

Lost mother? Oedipal complex? It's like poetry, it rhymes.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

This will either be completely terrible or a master piece, there is no in-between.
    And it wouldn't be the latter.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    David Lynch is clearly the best director for Sandman. Bryan Fuller might be good too.