As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    ITT: DC is super dumb and lame for failing to copy Marvel and also super dumb and lame for copying Marvel

More that they are dumb for not copying the relevant aspects of the Marvel movie formula that has lead to their success.

Trying to make a "me too" grab at a popular Marvel movie would be dumb, especially if it failed to copy the relevant parts of it that made it a success.
    Deathstroke is a bit of a stretch to ape Deadpool... but it also would not be much of a stretch for them to make him "more funny" in an attempt to ride some deadpool popularity either.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I could actually see Deathstroke being funny in the sense of black-hole black, begging-for-water-in-the-desert dry and/or cynical humor. If they go that route it could be really effective (and funny).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The world of comics runs off of idea plagiarism (sometimes less blatant, sometimes in the form of purposeful homages, like DC's Silver Sorceress against the Scarlet Witch), so why not the world of comic movies?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I have to keep telling myself that the title does not read "Sarah Silverman".

I'm not sure if that would improve a Batman movie or not.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    She'd be an interesting take on Catwoman.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Still the best reviewed DC film to be released in theaters this year.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    She'd be an interesting take on Catwoman.

"You make me sick Batman, I think I'm about to cough up a hairball.

Whoopsies, that wasn't a hairball at all! Sorry you had to see that Bats."

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I just don't see it! I'll laugh at DC all day erry day, but there's no connection there IMO. Deathstroke is towards the top of the popular villains list. He hasn't been in a movie. Reason enough. This isn't them trying to copy a Marvel success, they just picked a cool bad guy.

If they're unaware of the similarities (see also Darkseid/Thanos) then that is it's own sort of fuck up.

Basically Batman has a huge rogue's gallery to choose from so choosing the one that's gonna come off as the not funny Deadpool rip off isn't a great strategic move.

I like Deathstroke and think he makes a decent recurring foe but he shouldn't be the primary threat as he's ideologically hollow. He'd be a brutally efficient meal delivery service if he could make the millions/billions he does from being DC's Taskmaster.

Now I really want to see a comic where some billionaire hires Deathstroke to cater a wedding and, contrary to all expectations, everything goes off without a hitch.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Deathstroke could totally work as a villain.

Just not when done by the hackjobs that have been running things thus far.

Hell, if they were smart/ learned from people's criticisms, they could have Deathstroke be the opponent that snaps Batfleck out of his psycho-killer-dom because he might look at Deathstroke and see himself if he continues down the same path.
    But, they won't, so alas.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I just don't see it! I'll laugh at DC all day erry day, but there's no connection there IMO. Deathstroke is towards the top of the popular villains list. He hasn't been in a movie. Reason enough. This isn't them trying to copy a Marvel success, they just picked a cool bad guy.

If they're unaware of the similarities (see also Darkseid/Thanos) then that is it's own sort of fuck up.

Basically Batman has a huge rogue's gallery to choose from so choosing the one that's gonna come off as the not funny Deadpool rip off isn't a great strategic move.

I like Deathstroke and think he makes a decent recurring foe but he shouldn't be the primary threat as he's ideologically hollow. He'd be a brutally efficient meal delivery service if he could make the millions/billions he does from being DC's Taskmaster.

Now I really want to see a comic where some billionaire hires Deathstroke to cater a wedding and, contrary to all expectations, everything goes off without a hitch.

"No interruptions to report, sir. There was one guy who made a run for the church after the service started. I figured he was one of those 'I object' types, and took out his knees. It's alright, the music covered the screams."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

"No interruptions to report, sir. There was one guy who made a run for the church after the service started. I figured he was one of those 'I object' types, and took out his knees. It's alright, the music covered the screams."

"We will be serving dinner starting at precisely 5:17, anyone not in their assigned seats at that time... Well, let's just have everyone in their seats. I'd hate to make a mess on a wedding day.
    "Why 5:17? Why not 5:15 or 5:30?
    "Because 5:17 is when the crab puffs will be plated and served. It's according to the schedule.
    "Can't we shift the schedule?
    Angry Death Stroke mask stare
    "Okay then. 5:17 it is. Everyone will be in their seats.

• Options
    Deathstroke the Wedding Planner.

I..I think we need this.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    He's great with shotgun weddings.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Deathstroke still sounds like one of those skinemax flix featuring misty mundae.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Aw jeez. Could you be any more transparent, DC?

full disclosure until the end I was sitting here wondering how Ben Affleck got into Bioware and thinking that Mass Effect: Andromeda apparently has amazing graphics.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    He's great with shotgun weddings.

You're fired.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My friends got me drunk and took me to Suicide Squad tonight

I wasn't drunk enough

No one could be drunk enough

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

I wasn't drunk enough

Challenge accepted. Someone fetch me a bottle of Jameson and my drinking hat

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »

I wasn't drunk enough

Challenge accepted. Someone fetch me a bottle of Jameson and my drinking hat

You're gonna need a bigger bottle.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    How much liquor will I need to watch the Ultimate edition of SuperBat?

(Other than "all of it")

sig.gif
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It turns out there was a deleted scene from BvS that even Snyder thought "Yeah, okay, maybe that's a little too dark": http://www.cracked.com/article_24293_6-deleted-scenes-that-make-your-favorite-movies-dark-as-hell.html

It really speaks volumes about the kind of film they wanted to make, and why the DCCU remains irreparable.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It turns out there was a deleted scene from BvS that even Snyder thought "Yeah, okay, maybe that's a little too dark": http://www.cracked.com/article_24293_6-deleted-scenes-that-make-your-favorite-movies-dark-as-hell.html

It really speaks volumes about the kind of film they wanted to make, and why the DCCU remains irreparable.

That deleted scene would have fit right in with the movie, provided answers to questions partially, and gave Superman much needed characterization and sympathy than he ever got in the movie. That said, it doesn't explain why Superman chooses how to use his super hearing (he'd have to know Lois was in danger before using it), and he never uses his x-ray vision in the entire movie.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

That deleted scene would have fit right in with the movie, provided answers to questions partially, and gave Superman much needed characterization and sympathy than he ever got in the movie. That said, it doesn't explain why Superman chooses how to use his super hearing (he'd have to know Lois was in danger before using it), and he never uses his x-ray vision in the entire movie.

oh man that scene would have been a great addition though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    bowen wrote: »

Ask Snyder to choose between options and he'll take the wrong one every time.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Disagree: it further sets up the implication that Superman is utterly miserable about being Superman, if he can't handle the ongoing cries for help reverberating in his super-ears.

Plus the notion that Superman couldn't isolate all the noise to find his mother, when Daredevil could easily single out a single heartbeat despite living in Hell's Kitchen, which is like a radio station of misery playing in his head 24/7.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Deathstroke being the villain in the Batfleck movie is almost too perfect

He's an unrecognizable character that virtually no one likes or cares about

That is the defining characteristic of the Snyderverse

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Deathstroke being the villain in the Batfleck movie is almost too perfect

He's an unrecognizable character that virtually no one likes or cares about

That is the defining characteristic of the Snyderverse

A lot more people care thanks to Arrow's Deathstroke, and Teen Titans cartoon.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I don't see how it would have helped overall, and it just creates another inconsistency wherein he is able to find Lois whenever.

• Options
    People with super-senses (hearing, telepathy) being overwhelmed by the daily background noise is a concept little-explored and something that would have needed frankly more time for them to examine without being more confusing than it was worth, in a movie that was already confusing and expected the viewer to fill in a lot of blanks, so Snyder made the right decision. In a different movie, better constructed from the beginning to examine Superman's inner conflict, a scene like that would have been a lovely addition.

Sidebar to discuss again why DCAU was awesome, in that one episode of Justice League which had a B-plot where J'onn temporarily gives up on humanity because he opened his mind and was overwhelmed by even a small town's worth of petty human concerns, but then comes back when he picks up on a group of people hunting for a lost child and feels their concern and fear.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    People with super-senses (hearing, telepathy) being overwhelmed by the daily background noise is a concept little-explored and something that would have needed frankly more time for them to examine without being more confusing than it was worth, in a movie that was already confusing and expected the viewer to fill in a lot of blanks, so Snyder made the right decision. In a different movie, better constructed from the beginning to examine Superman's inner conflict, a scene like that would have been a lovely addition.

Sidebar to discuss again why DCAU was awesome, in that one episode of Justice League which had a B-plot where J'onn temporarily gives up on humanity because he opened his mind and was overwhelmed by even a small town's worth of petty human concerns, but then comes back when he picks up on a group of people hunting for a lost child and feels their concern and fear.

This is why it should have been done in a MoS sequel, before this. Also, Snyder did no favors to himself by having Superman use those abilities in MoS, so people are gong to question why he didn't use them - especially since he didn't bother either having a scene or two with it or have other characters comment on it. Which makes Superman look more like an idiot for not using them. Not to mention Superman had already found a way to control it by the time he was an adult, so this was a non-issue to start with.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have the assume the actual reason they picked Deathstroke is because they've already used Bane in the Nolan films, and just wanted to copy that again without any understanding of why Bane worked.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I have the assume the actual reason they picked Deathstroke is because they've already used Bane in the Nolan films, and just wanted to copy that again without any understanding of why Bane worked.

The really good Bat-villains have a natural conflict with Batman

The Joker attacks his moral center
    The Riddler attacks his intellect
    Two-Face attacks his capacity for compassion
    Catwoman attacks his capacty for human connection
    Bane attacks his physical potential
    Penguin attacks his history of privilege
    Scarecrow attacks his doubts over hypocrisy
    Talia attacks his desire to rebuild a family

Deathstroke attacks his ability to fight a guy with swords and a bad costume

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I think that you could do something. With Batman doing what he does as part of a cause or because it's his passion, and then play that against Deathstroke just doing it for a paycheck. Or does Deathstroke really take pride in his work? Something along those lines anyway.

It's not great, but it might be an angle.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    In the 3d animated show I think Deathstroke set a bunch of other villains against Batman, so its that kind of Bane thing, wear Batman down to break him.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bane worked?

I guess compared to Poison Ivy, he did.

• Options
    Slade is like Bizarro Batman basically, and it works from that perspective because a lot of Superhero media lately seems fixated on the villains who can fight the heroes on equal terms. Slade's got the wealth, connections, gadgets, peak human physical ability (debatably meta-human in that regard, but that depends on incarnation) and combat training. He doesn't fit thematically right off the cuff, but he could easily be made to, like making him similar to R'as in being someone who thinks he's doing the right thing but is really just a murdering extremist, though that would be hard to pull off given the portrayal of Batfleck so far. Though fighting a guy like Deathstroke on those grounds could be a way for Batfleck to find his moral center again.

Assuming they were dead-set on telling the same stories, DCCU needed a Man of Steel 2 and Batman 1 before BvS. More Superman character development and something to establish this Batman and his history (Batman 1 could be Death in the Family and Batfleck's moral decline, BvS would be Batfleck at his worst as a person and a hero, and then use this movie and Justice League to show him reclaiming what he once was).

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Doesn't quite work since the current DCU is already the bizarro universe.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Bane worked?

I guess compared to Poison Ivy, he did.

I thought he did, but I liked the Nolan films for what they were though obviously not the most faithful Batman adaptations I'll grant...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    tDKR was a mess. Not being faithful was the least of its problem.