As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    speaking of, everyone go read Rebirth #1 today and don't let anyone spoil it for you

it's ridiculous

hahahahahaha what the fuckkkkkk

Seriously. As jacked up as the first couple of movies have been, DC comics a whole have been a clusterfuck since New 52, and this (second!) attempt to fix it just seems to be making things worse.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Superman's best stories are when he feels like he can't help everyone, but still tries because it's the right thing to do. The suicide ones are the biggest tear jerks usually, because he can't rely on his strength to win, but, on his character.

Unfortunately those don't really translate well to movies. Superman sacrificing himself to save humanity is generally how that goes down, but, it can't be hallow or what's the point.

Which movies have done it?

That was literally the climax of returns.

Remember when Superman fought an island to save the world and nearly died?

It wasn't exactly riveting. Although it wasn't bad either. The film gets a lot more criticism than it deserves.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Superman's best stories are when he feels like he can't help everyone, but still tries because it's the right thing to do. The suicide ones are the biggest tear jerks usually, because he can't rely on his strength to win, but, on his character.

Unfortunately those don't really translate well to movies. Superman sacrificing himself to save humanity is generally how that goes down, but, it can't be hallow or what's the point.

None because no one's going to pay money to watch Smallville the movie.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    DC Rebirth actually works as a comic when you read it, it's an alcoholic admitting they had a problem and are trying to fix it. And considering what Marvel did this week with Captain America (Steve Rogers was Hydra all along everybody nope it sure won't be some cheap marketing ploy no siree), acceptance is better than the Nile.

And the biggest problem with Superman Returns was that it was a Kate Bosworth movie, not a Superman movie and Routh never got the fair shake he deserved and now he has to fart for 30 seconds on Maria Bamford's Netflix show.

• Options
    Dylan Dog was good though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Spoiled myself because I don't read comics...
    I don't assume Alan Moore will be pleased with that Rebirth Dr. Manhattan thing. And yeah OK, that was weird.

edzepp on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    DC Rebirth actually works as a comic when you read it, it's an alcoholic admitting they had a problem and are trying to fix it.

Pretty much this. It feels like Geoff Johns going through the 12-Step program.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Superman 1 & 2 are amazing movies. Are they silly and corny? Of course.

But all of those movies, including 3 & 4 to a much lesser degree are enjoyable all due to how fun and charismatic Reeve is as Superman. 1 & 2 are treasures though, and I won't hear any different! :evil:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

But all of those movies, including 3 & 4 to a much lesser degree are enjoyable all due to how fun and charismatic Reeve is as Superman. 1 & 2 are treasures though, and I won't hear any different! :evil:

They don't hold up well at all.

Batman did though.

• Options
    Reeve's charisma will always hold up. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So is Zach Synder fired yet?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    I don't assume Alan Moore will be pleased with that Rebirth Dr. Manhattan thing. And yeah OK, that was weird.
    I keep waiting for Moore to snap, become a real-life supervillain and try to demolish DC headquarters with a tank or something.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »
    I keep waiting for Moore to snap, become a real-life supervillain and try to demolish DC headquarters with a tank or something his beard.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Wizards don't need tanks.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Captain America comic spoilers:
    DC Rebirth actually works as a comic when you read it, it's an alcoholic admitting they had a problem and are trying to fix it. And considering what Marvel did this week with Captain America (Steve Rogers was Hydra all along everybody nope it sure won't be some cheap marketing ploy no siree), acceptance is better than the Nile.

And the biggest problem with Superman Returns was that it was a Kate Bosworth movie, not a Superman movie and Routh never got the fair shake he deserved and now he has to fart for 30 seconds on Maria Bamford's Netflix show.

Jesus how about maybe don't spoil unrelated shit that just came out today in this thread?

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The speculation I'm seeing else-forum is that DC's attitude is "he's on the outs with us now, and was always difficult to work with, so **** him."

I foresee some curses being laid.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So is Zach Synder fired yet?

Preferably out of a cannon into that giant pacific garbage pile?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Oh, they absolutely do. Otherwise the bitching is legendary.

Citation: almost the entire MMO subforum.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Zack Snyder probably has a really solid contract and it'll cost a lot of money to buy it out.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I'd put Burton Batman in the same category as Donner Superman, it has some iconic moments but it really doesn't hold up. As "dark" as the Burton films were, i would almost class them as closer to Adam West than the Nolanverse on the believability scale.

Compared to other live action films of the late 80s/early 90s, it doesn't have timelessness.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

Tell that to Urza.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

That was literally the climax of returns.

Remember when Superman fought an island to save the world and nearly died?

It wasn't exactly riveting. Although it wasn't bad either. The film gets a lot more criticism than it deserves.

I wouldn't say any of the Superman movies have had good writing about anything, especially lately so it seems odd to blame a type of writing method the comics have done (and done well, cartoons too) without ruining it. This is more on the film makers, not the subject. There's been plenty of plots in comics and cartoons have done similar things without becoming bad stories. DC/WB needs to step their writing game for it to work, but I could say that for damn near anything related to the Superman films. Is there any other movies or just Returns?

None because no one's going to pay money to watch Smallville the movie.

Then it's good I wasn't selling it as the alternative (that was about Superman being relatable - something Smallville didn't start), that's why I bought up the Timm-verse upthread.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

They don't hold up well at all.

Batman did though.

I agree with this. The pacing of the early Superman movies is rather meandering and its a lot of Superman being a boyscout and not facing any grave threats.

And I still find it laughable that his greatest threat in any of them was Richard Pryor.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

Tell that to Urza.

Urza is first and foremost an Artificer

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    So I watched Gods & Monsters, thought it was okay. Some interesting ideas. Under the Red Hood, pretty weak. Some of the fight scenes were well-made, but that's about all I have to say that's positive. I just about gave up on these animated movies after these two, but thought I'd give it one more chance with Mask of the Phantasm.

Now that was something special. It's a higher quality product than either of the other two I mentioned. It actually feels like art and not just a way to kill an hour or so. The orchestral score is fantastic! I watched it using some really good headphones and boy, if you're going to watch this movie, make sure you have a good sound system of some kind because that's how it's meant to be experienced.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    This wrote: »
    So I watched Gods & Monsters, thought it was okay. Some interesting ideas. Under the Red Hood, pretty weak. Some of the fight scenes were well-made, but that's about all I have to say that's positive. I just about gave up on these animated movies after these two, but thought I'd give it one more chance with Mask of the Phantasm.

Now that was something special. It's a higher quality product than either of the other two I mentioned. It actually feels like art and not just a way to kill an hour or so. The orchestral score is fantastic! I watched it using some really good headphones and boy, if you're going to watch this movie, make sure you have a good sound system of some kind because that's how it's meant to be experienced.

You've seen Batman:TAS right? Whole thing has its own orchestral score, that and the timelessness of the animation techniques chosen if why it holds up more than just about anything else from the time. It was phenomenal.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    And that, IMO, is the difference between the classic DCAU (Batman TAS and Beyond, Superman TAS, and Justice League) and... most of what was made after, including most of the stand-alone movies.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    And that, IMO, is the difference between the classic DCAU (Batman TAS and Beyond, Superman TAS, and Justice League) and... most of what was made after, including most of the stand-alone movies.

Young Justice TAS, Green Lantern TAS and Batman: Brave and the Bold were worthy successors.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's funny that the DCAU basically did what the MCU would do later on; have continuity between shows/seasons, big character arcs and crossovers, and then culminating in Justice League & Unlimited which had almost too many heroes... Almost.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, Justice League: Gods and Monsters wasn't exceptional as a story. But I fucking love its Superman, so I'll recommend it at the drop of a hat all the same.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Thinking about it, Justice League: Gods and Monsters wasn't exceptional as a story. But I fucking love its Superman, so I'll recommend it at the drop of a hat all the same.

Has its tv series started yet or was that canceled?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Timm based cartoon? Probably canceled because WB is jealous of success.

bowen on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So I've been watching a lot of the new DC movies and shows lately, as background noise while I work on my cosplay. My feelings...

Flashpoint Paradox and Crisis on Two Earths are still my favourites.

The Superman ones are boring. No matter what the setup, no matter what the stakes, no matter what the odds, he'll punch his way out of it because he's impossibly strong and invincible. He's the ultimate hammer and the only problems he ever faces are nails. Sueprman vs. The Elite setup a very interesting post-9/11 storyline, but instead of resolving it just twisted it until it was nail-shaped so Superman could hammer it.

The Batman & Son ones get a bad rep, but I don't dislike them. Damien is an interesting character I find, and his dislike for Nightwing is fun, as is the face of anyone who hears him call Batman "father" for the first time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Timm based cartoon? Probably canceled because WB is jealous of success.

It's getting another season this year.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Zack Snyder probably has a really solid contract and it'll cost a lot of money to buy it out.

It'd be worth every penny.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »

They're trying to get him to quit. Johns and Affleck both have the ability to pull rank on him now

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I would love to be a fly on the wall at WB right now. The shift in attitude and decision making must be crazy to watch right now.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Some of the DC animated movies aren't that great if you're going in without a lot of knowledge of their background and the circumstances surrounding them. But they're great if you already know about the character histories, the lore, and the trends in comics and superhero fiction.

Gods & Monsters is a really good subversion of the whole "darker and grittier" trend in superheroes. The movie is built up to be this super violent and eXtreme! version of the Justice League but it ends up having a message against cynicism and for optimism and hope.

Under the Red Hood is much better if you know more about the history of Jason Todd and it kind of serves as a fix or apology for how they brought him back from the comics, because that was super dumb.

Superman vs. the Elite was about the greater extent a post 9/11 world has impacted our culture. It asks the question of do we have to so cynical that we can't even have hope and optimism in our entertainment? That's what Superman, and superheroes in general, have been about. They're not supposed to be realistic. Their whole world falls apart when you try to make it too "gritty and realistic." They're supposed to be dreams that we aspire to. When you think about it, it's kind of ridiculous that we can imagine beings who are capable of incredibly impossible things, but we can't imagine them living in a world where the people are better and can overcome their limitations and create societies and governments that are better than those in the real world. Nope, we got to drag those heroes down to our level rather than aspiring to reach theirs.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »

They're trying to get him to quit. Johns and Affleck both have the ability to pull rank on him now

Next they'll move his desk down to the basement and give him a can of bug spray.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: G&M feels like the animation department flipping off Zack by showing him how to do a dark take on the trinity.

And I mean christ: These weren't even the same characters and they were still more believable then the ones from BvS.