As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Beat final boss with Drang-hammers. Hammers and estus. Took a long time.
    I stopped looking at boss-health. Forgot it was there.

But then it stumbled, and didn't get up.

Oh.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Naphtali wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You know, that Anri battle with Aldrich would have gone a lot more smoothly if the dumb motherfucker hadn't decided to drop dead every time I got Aldrich down to 10% life or so.

In the end Anri still fucking died, but I managed to hysterically flail at the boss just enough to kill him before I got kicked out of the world. If I run into that dude again, I'm going to slap him with a fucking caestus on general principle.

You should probably go talk to Ludleth.

I did! I got a shiny new toy that doesn't actually do me any good! But it looks cool.

In other news, I just completed a month long study of Dark Souls 3 zoology. My findings are as follows:

A. Fuck mimics.
    B. Right in the ear.

These findings are accurate to +/- eat-a-dick %, with a confidence interval of die-in-a-fire.

Seriously, Irithyll, what the fuck? What the fuck?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Undead hunter's charms are your friend.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    You know, that Anri battle with Aldrich would have gone a lot more smoothly if the dumb motherfucker hadn't decided to drop dead every time I got Aldrich down to 10% life or so.

In the end Anri still fucking died, but I managed to hysterically flail at the boss just enough to kill him before I got kicked out of the world. If I run into that dude again, I'm going to slap him with a fucking caestus on general principle.

You should probably go talk to Ludleth.

I did! I got a shiny new toy that doesn't actually do me any good! But it looks cool.

In other news, I just completed a month long study of Dark Souls 3 zoology. My findings are as follows:

A. Fuck mimics.
    B. Right in the ear.

These findings are accurate to +/- eat-a-dick %, with a confidence interval of die-in-a-fire.

Seriously, Irithyll, what the fuck? What the fuck?

No, I mean (Anri questline spoilers)
    If you succesfully helped Anri kill their Aldrich, the next time you talk to Ludleth he will give you Anri's sword (which is fucking OP, it scales off luck like whoa and basically has the highest AR for a straight sword). I wasn't sure if that's what you meant by shiny new toy

Anri's ultimate fate
    If you found Horace and told Anri about it, they will be found hollow down in Smouldering Lake where Horace was. Otherwise, you can find Anri chilling up on a cliff above the staircase right by the Cathedral of the Deep bonfire.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Huh, Hollow-infusion increases my Luck by 5, but my Discovery by 6.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Hello everyone,

The regulation version 1.09 will be deployed on Friday, July 1st.

It will not require a patch or maintenance. Below is the full list of changes included in this version!

All Dagger weapons: increased critical attack power.
    Dark Sword: reduced weapon efficiency.
    Anri’s Straight Sword: reduced scaling effects.
    Wolnir’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
    Crescent Moon Sword: added intelligence scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
    Morne’s Great Hammer: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
    Lothric’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
    Yorshka’s Spear: increased FP damage effects.
    Scholar’s Candlestick: reduced sorcery-strengthening properties
    Demon’s Fist: reduced weight.
    Greatsword of Judgement: increased attack power.
    Heysel’s Pick: increased intelligence scaling.
    All shield-piercing weapons: added shield-piercing properties to regular attacks.
    All Skills that enchant a weapon with special properties: extended length of effect.
    Obscuring Ring: increased distance at which ring takes effect.
    Hornet Ring: adjusted efficiency.
    Black Serpent: adjusted tracking.
    Lightning Stake: now requires 1 attunement slot.
    Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier: extended length of effect.
    Divine Pillars of Light: increased attack power.
    White Dragon Breath: reduced stamina consumption.
    All Bug Pellet items: extended length of effect.
    Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.

Embrace the Darkness!

Nerfed Dark Sword. Probably fair cop, but eh, I've been over it for a while.
    Dagger ripostes again?
    Nerfed Anri's. See Dark Sword.
    All those weird garbage weapons with weird requirements are gonna turn into actual scaling weapons.
    Scholar's Candlestick nerf. Probably a good thing for sorcery overall. One item shouldn't be essential, and this might be a harbinger of bigger changes.
    Demon's Fist weight reduced. itshappening.gif
    Shield piercing weapons. Yup.
    Hornet Ring nerf. More than fair but uh, good luck invaders.
    Obscuring Ring nerf. Uh, really. Good luck.

Someone on the reddit thread pointed out that there's a a bunch of new weapons with new int/fai scaling, changes to the pellet items, plus the candlestick nerf. Maybe a change to elemental damage calculation is coming in the next real patch?

Nothing too crazy in this one, so I'll take it.

• Options
    Which prism-colour is supposed to be the rare one?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    whoa, a lot of changes

I'm hyped about the additions of int & faith scaling on those weapons though

hopefully sorcerers get something to make up for the candlestick nerf.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    I'm sure it's probably a shit weapon, but I'm very tempted to pump up the jailer's branding iron I snagged just for the lulz.

And then go back and beat them stupid with it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Beat final boss with Drang-hammers. Hammers and estus. Took a long time.
    I stopped looking at boss-health. Forgot it was there.

But then it stumbled, and didn't get up.

Oh.

I've found that when I get in the zone fighting bosses in Souls games, I do the same thing. When I beat Sinh in Dark Souls 2 finally, he just fell over dead suddenly as I was so focused on fighting him I forgot all about the health bar.

• Options
    I am always very conscious of their health bar. It's all I have to not go all BARBARIAN RAGE when I drop them down to 5% or so, because I know if I do that I will fuck up and get careless and die.

• Options
    Wolnir’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.

Ffffffffffffffffffffuck yes. That sword is dope as fuck and I look forward to dusting off my cleric for it.

Of two minds about the candlestick nerf though. If it's going to be part of an ongoing suite of changes designed to make spells more viable in general and less reliant on a very necessary set of gear to not have them hit like wet noodles then that's good. But if it's just being dinged because "25% is too much" then I fear for sorcery in the future.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    "Attunement now hard-caps at 23."

• Options
    edited July 2016
    so it turns out most of the changes in 1.09 were muchado about nothing :rotate:

hornet ring changes are ambiguous in early reports, wolnirs and morne's got okay buffs, lothric's only got E scaling in faith, but for a minimal AR buff crescent moon sword lost str scaling, is now dex/int, split damage too so its AR buff may actually be a dmg loss, hard to say. it did gain shield piercing along with scythe weapons

scholar's candlestick is now 12.5% instead of 25%, so the optimum nuke path is now offhanding sage's crystal staff and using the WA for damage buff/increased FP costs while casting with court sorcerer staff in main hand.

anri's lost about 30~ AR.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    yeah, it looks like most changes are neutral or small nerfs. which is fucking weird. morne's at 50/30 has nearly identical damage one-handed, but loses a little bit 2-handed. it's a teeny tiny nerf. dark sword got a small nerf. anri's is still pretty good on pure luck but isn't a monster on a luck/quality build anymore. that seems fair.

on the bright side, i will have 5 extra units of weight to work with on my demon boxer, at least

i guess

• Options
    Got my dedicated PvPer soloed through most of NG up until the Twin Princes at SL35, and finally got all the swordgrass I needed for the final Watchdog items (the shield is actually quite nice) before leveling him to 70.

Now I'm doing Aldrich invasions and it's pretty fun when you're not in an endless parade of 4v1 giant seeded ganks. It is very satisfying managing to kill the host in those, though; nailed one with a Silvercat plunging attack from the ladder down to the Aldrich covenant bonfire while he sat and mocked me with emotes as his phantoms surrounded me on the ladder.

Did come across two budding Ornstein/Smough cosplayers though. They had the weapons, but only Smough was in the chest piece and nothing else, while the Ornstein was wearing the Sellsword set. It'd have been a rougher fight if not for the fact that the Smough kept one-handing his hammer. Hornet ring riposte and a firebomb as he scrambled down the Aldrich bonfire ladder and then a quick duel with the Ornstein left me the winner.

I switched out my Flamberge for the Wolf Knight Greatsword, with the Profaned Greatsword and Zweihander as backups against parry fishers. Artorias' sword is surprisingly pretty great - the damage isn't spectacular, but nobody expects those weapon arts, and with 40 VIG I can trade for days.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    No one told me the large club was so baller. What else are you keeping from me?

• Options
    That the great club is even ballerer.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    That the great club is even ballerer.
    yeah it's not even really a contest

the great club just does more damage and has an amazing R2

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i legit think Deprived is one of the best starter classes in DS3 because even just the Club is ridiculous

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    So, I'm about to start my 6th run of DS3. I have never played a dex based character, so I think its time. I want to focus on mostly dodging and maybe some parrying if I can git gud. Any recommendations for early weapons? Rings or whatever to look out for?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The Deprived in DS3 has really high starting stats for being "deprived". With 10s across the board, the Deprived actually has higher stats in some categories versus any given class!. All of the DS3 classes effectively have the same number of stat points (e.g. even though the Knight starts at like SL10, its aggregate stats are the same as the Deprived's plus 9 points), but the Deprived being so beefy out of the gate means that it isn't such a struggle to survive early on, in addition to more of the equipment being equippable sooner. I think that the Deprived class in general has been middle-of-the-road in stats in every DS game, as opposed to being bottom of the heap.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    The Deprived in DS3 has really high starting stats for being "deprived". With 10s across the board, the Deprived actually has higher stats in some categories versus any given class!. All of the DS3 classes effectively have the same number of stat points (e.g. even though the Knight starts at like SL10, its aggregate stats are the same as the Deprived's plus 9 points), but the Deprived being so beefy out of the gate means that it isn't such a struggle to survive early on, in addition to more of the equipment being equippable sooner. I think that the Deprived class in general has been middle-of-the-road in stats in every DS game, as opposed to being bottom of the heap.

The club has always made Deprived a little over-powered since DS1. It's been a part of the series for so long that I think of it like an inside joke for fans.

• Options
    I'm not sure if Deprived has ever been a very min-max friendly class. Maybe in DS1 for a non-caster? But I've never found it optimal in DS3 or Bloodborne, and I'm thinking probably DS2.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Deprived has ever been a very min-max friendly class. Maybe in DS1 for a non-caster? But I've never found it optimal in DS3 or Bloodborne, and I'm thinking probably DS2.

Well, my point is that even though the class is called "Deprived", it isn't actually that Deprived. Just going by the name and the first impression (being nearly naked and just having a dumb old club), it sounds like it'd be weak and vulnerable... but it really isn't!

Whether or not it lends itself to optimal builds is another matter, I think. I agree that if you're gunning for a low-level PvP or some other level-specific challenge, you could certainly squeeze a bit more out of the other classes, especially if re-speccing at Rosaria is not an option for the run.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is anyone still playing this?

I took a break for about a month, and I'm getting back into it.

My pyro is now 120 and in NG+.

The Farron swamp is tons of fun.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Is anyone still playing this?

I took a break for about a month, and I'm getting back into it.

My pyro is now 120 and in NG+.

The Farron swamp is tons of fun.

I'm breaking until the DLC. I advanced a NG up to the Princes, so I should be ready to go when it drops.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I was more of a fan of DS2's deprived. It felt like the most dark soulsy way to start the game. Want a weapon? Tough. Go beat the crap out of some guys with your BARE HANDS and take his weapon.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm replaying as a pyromancer and it was a struggle (even though I'm still roughly 2x as fast due to knowledge ) but after Underground Lake things seemed to turn around. A lot of things get burninated now.

A lot of later game enemies don't have a ton of hp but need openings to hit and punish mistakes up close a lot, which means lobbing 500+200 damage fireballs is pretty great. Knights in Anor Londo for instance, barely got a hit in apart from the initial crossbow approach.

Still seems weird that there's no real faith/Int scaling weapon and that Raw infusion is your best bet.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'm replaying as a pyromancer and it was a struggle (even though I'm still roughly 2x as fast due to knowledge ) but after Underground Lake things seemed to turn around. A lot of things get burninated now.

A lot of later game enemies don't have a ton of hp but need openings to hit and punish mistakes up close a lot, which means lobbing 500+200 damage fireballs is pretty great. Knights in Anor Londo for instance, barely got a hit in apart from the initial crossbow approach.

Still seems weird that there's no real faith/Int scaling weapon and that Raw infusion is your best bet.

The latest updated made some weapons in to FAI or INT weapons.

• Options
    Thanks to Reddit, I now have a carthus curved sword +10 and a sage ring +2.

That will free up 10 levels from this:

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Finally caught up on the DS3 thread. After finishing my initial push up play through I've decided I'd give a dried finger run a shot.

I was on my 5th invasion, working my way past the second bonfire on High Wall. A red phantom is chasing me around, I jump down to the area with the fatty with the polearm. I take no damage, he takes 90% of his health bar and I follow-up with an r1. Cat ring is best ring.

• Options
    I finally took out Aldrich and then was instantly warped to fight that goddamn Dancer WTF DARK SOULS.

But now I am cosplaying the Dancer and I am such a beautiful butterfly. Before that I was rocking the Fallen Knight set with the Giant Fucking Sage Hat and looked all rough and grizzled but now I am so pretty! But also dangerous! Like an Amazonian tree frog or some shit!

The Grand Archives are pretty cool, in other news.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I finally took out Aldrich and then was instantly warped to fight that goddamn Dancer WTF DARK SOULS.

But now I am cosplaying the Dancer and I am such a beautiful butterfly. Before that I was rocking the Fallen Knight set with the Giant Fucking Sage Hat and looked all rough and grizzled but now I am so pretty! But also dangerous! Like an Amazonian tree frog or some shit!

Not immediately. You could have left to hit a bonfire before placing the bowl.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

Did you explore down in the other area that opens up after dancer?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    When you get teleported on your 3rd Lord kill the bonfire left behind is automatically lit and fast travellable.

There is a minor thing upstairs from Aldrich to pick up, and a lore hint if you played DS1.

And yeah, going up then left after the Dancer is something people apparently miss?

• Options
    "Oh hey, it's a pair of eyeballs. I bet the nice firekeeper lady could use those, she's blind! I am such a nice guy for offering those to her!"

:o
    :(

• Options
    She's tougher than she looks, though.

• Options
    "Oh hey, it's a pair of eyeballs. I bet the nice firekeeper lady could use those, she's blind! I am such a nice guy for offering those to her!"

:o
    :(

It unlocks an ending though. Which I took on my pyromancer because he had seen the world burn already.

I don't think I'd recommend Pyromancy as a build, it's really ... uneven. There are a few parts that are hilariously easy (Irythill Dungeon in particular was just lobbing fire and watch things burn), but it takes a long time to get going because of mana limitations and for bosses you pretty much rely on summons because there just aren't enough windows to cast 1 v 1. And all bosses are easy with summons.
    With 40 int/faith there weren't many weapons that weren't better vs a Raw Infused straight sword or battle axe, which is disappointing. DS3 seems to be a game of many items that matter too little.
    I felt the same about armor, with damage mitigation much less important, and almost no armor that confers special bonuses, it's 90% fashion souls.

I enjoyed the game a lot and finished it twice so this isn't meant as a condemnation, just a bit of disappointment.