As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Beat Friede! Took about 3 hours of attempts. Being on a NG++ run the first time I ever went into the fight probably didn't help, that fight is haaaaaaaard.

Thoughts:
    -I don't know if I could have beat her melee. I used a +5 Millwood Greatbow, because being near her was just death in phase 3 every time I tried, even when I went in with 12 or 13 estus charges. Her hits all did over half my HP (1198), and that was with Stoneplate +2 and full Dragonslayer on.

-I fundamentally do not like aggressive, fast bosses with high reach, large harmboxes, and high damage. I think Pontiff was riding the line, and Friede crosses it and becomes more like a Bloodborne boss.

-Does Ariandel really need to scream as loud as he can every 10 seconds? Dude, I get it, you're on fire.

-Her third phase is fucking bonkers. It took at least as long as the other two combined because I spent most of my time dodging or running.

-Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad arena design. Reading telegraphs is extremely important in phases 1 and 3, but you're in a dark room full of visual clutter, fighting a boss with a small, dark character model. Worst of this is the frost all over the floor - getting out of Friede's ice fields is incredibly important, but it can be very hard to tell when you're at the edge of it or not because it looks very much like the floor before it explodes. The ground not being covered in ice would have made this a lot less obnoxious.

Overall, okay fight? Certainly a very intense way to end the DLC!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oh, no, my bandit-knife.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I went ahead and spoiled most (all?) of the DLC weapons for myself.

I think we're going to be pretty happy with this one.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well I've properly finished all of NG++, got the 3rd ending I didn't have and done all the areas. Now just hanging out and doing some PvP and waiting for Ringed City!

Incidentally NG++ is really where Greatshield/Straight Sword breaks down as a boss strategy. They hit too hard, even on high stability shields, and your stamina just goes through the floor.

• Options
    I went ahead and spoiled most (all?) of the DLC weapons for myself.

I think we're going to be pretty happy with this one.

Spoiled them for myself. There's a lot of them, and also, they are by and large freaking rad.

Also a bunch of rings are getting +3 versions, which is interesting! I wonder how that's going to work. Can you get them in NG? That would be sort of strange, since you have to go into NG++ to get all the +2 rings right now...

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Deacons and Pontiff add two more points of data to my 'Souls games can't have good multi-enemy bosses, only trivial ones and bullshit ones' theory.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pontiff isn't even really a two enemy fight. More like one enemy and his shadow from the future forecasting his every attack with weaker versions of them. You don't need to keep track of what multiple targets are doing. Just keep an eye on the doppelganger and you'll know Pontiff's every move in advance.

Edit:
    He's also another boss who's weak to that "one simple trick bosses don't want you to know!"

Parrying
    https://youtu.be/zIc98N4qYq0

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I just took off my shield, stopped trying to dodge so much, and beat him to death. When he paused to summon, I'd time a charge-up R2-R2 to damage him heavily and kill the clone.

Kamar on
  • Options
    The main thing that I didn't like about the fight was that tapestries /curtains tended to obscure the camera if you got too close to the walls.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The main thing I dislike about that fight is all the chairs. If you don't pre break them you can get stuck at really awkward moments.

• Options
    Don't nerf me, bro.

Launchtrailer.
    That's a dragon-ass dragon.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh man, this patch

strength builds are fucking gangster now

so many weapons can be pushed up over 600 AR now; some of the greathammers and ultragreatswords got boosted by like, 100 AR

fume is a confirmed shit tier weapon now, but i don't even mind, because the OG greatsword, cathedral knight greatsword, and fucking zweihander are all dope now

• Options
    the great mace used to be sub-500 AR and now I get nearly 650 on this sumbitch

• Options
    Vordt's Great Hammer is the hot new thing, it's got high AR and procs Frostbite after 2 R1s (!!!!) now.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    As someone who plays DS in a half state of "what do these numbers mean" are these buffs significant for pve?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh man, this patch

so many weapons can be pushed up over 600 AR now; some of the greathammers and ultragreatswords got boosted by like, 100 AR

fume is a confirmed shit tier weapon now, but i don't even mind, because the OG greatsword, cathedral knight greatsword, and fucking zweihander are all dope now

strength builds were already better than dex

so is it just pure strength are awesome now, or is it quality still better than both?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    oh man, this patch

so is it just pure strength are awesome now, or is it quality still better than both?

I tried putting the Catarina armor on because my Stamina was high enough. Nope, Friede still ran my ass over. I'll get her eventually when this DLC helps me level a bit more.

I also ordered that sweet Lordran poster.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    As someone who plays DS in a half state of "what do these numbers mean" are these buffs significant for pve?
    these are crazy

your katanas and straight swords tend to hover around the 400-450 range, then the next tier up is greatswords at 450-525 or so, then finally you get ultras which previously topped out at around 620 (greataxes go a bit higher)

used to be the OG greatsword topped out at around 530 which is a hair more than like a particularly strong regular greatsword (which is significantly faster and costs significantly less stamina)

now it's comparable to any of the top tier (non-greataxe) ultras like the Fume, the Black Knight Greatsword, or the Profaned Greatsword

and the buff to the previously substandard greathammers like vordt's or the great mace is absolutely wild, as they've gone from trash tier to some big fuckin' numbers

a regular ass mace also hits like a greatsword (500+ AR) now

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh man, this patch

just gotta build dex/luck and go poison obvs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh man, this patch

honestly with all the changes INANTP I can't tell if you're making a joke post or not given the former state of poison

I meant pure dex builds, not dex/luck hollow bleed if that's what you meant. i have no idea what the new metas are now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    oh man, this patch

i don't have a dex build (because it was pointless) to really compare performance, unfortunately

i imagine quality is still really good, since anything that can't be infused is still going to be better with a quality build (and some weapons are still superior refined)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh man, this patch

honestly with all the changes INANTP I can't tell if you're making a joke post or not given the former state of poison

I meant pure dex builds, not dex/luck hollow bleed if that's what you meant. i have no idea what the new metas are now

i don't know if i'm joking either

but my understanding is that dex/luck and bleed or poison infusion might be better than hollow infusion now?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Poison is still worse than bleed because it's easy to take off 90% of the DoT with Purple Moss. I dueled someone yesterday who seemed flabbergasted that after they went through so much work to put poison on me I just backed off and munched down on some random lichens and then I was fine.

Since bleed is instant damage and builds up pretty quickly, it's much harder to find the space to eat Red Moss.

edit: that being said, poison does do serious enough damage now that if you don't have Purple Moss you're gonna be sad.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    oh man, this patch

This is the new meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SvkiN3t71w

• Options
    Deans wrote: »
    oh man, this patch

This is the new meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SvkiN3t71w

*until From fixes this bug.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Saw a post on the DS3 subreddit looking at AR differences with the buffs to Heavy and Sharp infusions. Basically, there's a good split between the ideal stats/infusions for weapons now, instead of it just being 'Refined is always best'. If you want to know specifics, toss whatever you're curious about into the Mugenmonkey AR calculator, looks like it's already been updated for the changes.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Saw a post on the DS3 subreddit looking at AR differences with the buffs to Heavy and Sharp infusions. Basically, there's a good split between the ideal stats/infusions for weapons now, instead of it just being 'Refined is always best'. If you want to know specifics, toss whatever you're curious about into the Mugenmonkey AR calculator, looks like it's already been updated for the changes.

The really important thing is that 60/20 builds can now compete with 40/40 builds, and you can get very decent AR on a 40 str or dex build if you want to go Faith as well.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    heavy exile greatsword has a full 100 AR over the best murakumo setup

god dang it

edit: curved greatsword balance:

refined carthus curved greatsword: 517 AR
    refined murakumo: 533 AR
    quality old wolf curved sword: 533 AR
    heavy exile greatsword: 634 AR :bzz:

HMMMM

Elendil on
  • Options
    I'm away on my phone and can't check myself.

Did anything change for the Drakeblood greatsword? Split damage really hurt it but I was still having fun with it because of its moveset + it hits extremely hard for critical hits (I suppose crits greatly mitigate elemental resistances).

Also, did scythes get any love?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    A ha, and late April the Goty ("The fire fades") edition launches.

Weee.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Got bored of kicking around at 120 with a Quality build so I decided to farm souls up to 200 to make a full Paladin build. Whee!

• Options
    did they unbust darkmoon invasions, too

i got summoned like, three or four times today, more than i've been summoned the entire rest of the game

could just be that the game's extra active with everyone trying out the new toys

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Weird tangeant but the Fextralife wiki license is a stone cold bummer, http://fextralife.com/wiki-license/.

Guess what, if you contribute your work is now owned by someone else who has no obligation to share with anyone else.

It's sad that the Souls / Borne communities rallied around a site that is happy to make contributors into digital share croppers.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Weird tangeant but the Fextralife wiki license is a stone cold bummer, http://fextralife.com/wiki-license/.

Guess what, if you contribute your work is now owned by someone else who has no obligation to share with anyone else.

It's sad that the Souls / Borne communities rallied around a site that is happy to make contributors into digital share croppers.

I don't know that people rallied around Fextralife so much as it was just the biggest. The subreddit shits on Fextralife constantly.
    did they unbust darkmoon invasions, too

i got summoned like, three or four times today, more than i've been summoned the entire rest of the game

could just be that the game's extra active with everyone trying out the new toys

I noticed this also.

• Options
    The curse of fextralife is the curse of want.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I had not even heard of fextralife until I started playing Souls games. As far as wikis go, they're not the worst I've seen, but their website seems horribly optimized. Everything takes forever to load, and my iPhone burns like the sun when I load up the mobile site.

That license is shit though.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Steam version appears to be live? Of course by "live" I mean sit for an hour while it downloads 3 gigs again.

• Options
    from gave me what i didn't even know i wanted
    gU22Jub.jpg?3

• Options
    The Ringed City has, without a doubt, the most infuriating enemy design in the game thus far. I'm in absolute awe at the amount of damage, five string combos that are faster than fast rolls that kill you in two hits, enemies that are practically invincible except when they are not, and then the DS3 special; it's not hard enough yet so here's four at once.