As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I've never played an Armored Core, just never had the right system. I'd love to try it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    There's a lot of tonal similarity to dark souls. Endless warfare fought between mercenaries and corporations, a world in ruins, frequently having to go against and kill characters you've built a rapport with.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Still camt beat Friede. If I were a Hunter I would have run her ass over by now. I hope the next DLC can help me level a bit more.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Still camt beat Friede. If I were a Hunter I would have run her ass over by now. I hope the next DLC can help me level a bit more.

Its a hard fight. The best advice I can give is watch people who are SL1 doing the fight, you really start to see the patterns of when its safe to hit her... granted, even after doing that it still took me like twenty attempts to kill her on another character (and it wasn't even my first time beating her, but the first without using Gael).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Armour is similar. "So my physical defense goes up, but my stab-defense goes down, my magic-defense is backwards, and I can't move. Hrmm."

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Started a new game because my previous attempt is stuck in a swamp of poison and I need to refresh my memory and get gud before I pull him out of there.

I've been playing around with the dagger's quick step. Any suggestions for building a character that plays more like a Bloodborne character?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So on a whim I kinda decided to replay the games now, for some reason. I played DS1 up to the point where all I had left was going down to Izalith and Tomb of Giants, then kinda headed into DS2 because the mere thought of redoing Izalith and Tomb made me full of blurgh. God those areas are just boring.

Figured I'd try to do a big weapons run in DS2, since I always end up playing with, like, an Estoc or a Longsword or something of that stripe. And man it took me a fair amount of time before I could find a properly large weapon. I was in the Bastille by way of killing Giant, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, and Pursuer, before I found a Large Club. Now that I have Straid free, though, I can get Pursuer's chunk of iron... which seems to be straight up worse than the Drangleic Sword in terms of damage at 30 Str 20 Dex, which seems kind of silly. So I'm sort of staying with my Large Club. Would like to find another one somewhere for rotating, because it has shit all for durability.

Also, man, I had forgotten how forgiving DS2 is in terms of HP and armor actually reducing damage. I'm tooling around Iron Keep at 4 Vigor and doing just fine.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Started a new game because my previous attempt is stuck in a swamp of poison and I need to refresh my memory and get gud before I pull him out of there.

I've been playing around with the dagger's quick step. Any suggestions for building a character that plays more like a Bloodborne character?

Well, there is the dagger weapon art as you've seen, but staying under <30% equip load gives you the fastest/farthest roll which would be your best bet.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    So on a whim I kinda decided to replay the games now, for some reason. I played DS1 up to the point where all I had left was going down to Izalith and Tomb of Giants, then kinda headed into DS2 because the mere thought of redoing Izalith and Tomb made me full of blurgh. God those areas are just boring.

Figured I'd try to do a big weapons run in DS2, since I always end up playing with, like, an Estoc or a Longsword or something of that stripe. And man it took me a fair amount of time before I could find a properly large weapon. I was in the Bastille by way of killing Giant, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, and Pursuer, before I found a Large Club. Now that I have Straid free, though, I can get Pursuer's chunk of iron... which seems to be straight up worse than the Drangleic Sword in terms of damage at 30 Str 20 Dex, which seems kind of silly. So I'm sort of staying with my Large Club. Would like to find another one somewhere for rotating, because it has shit all for durability.

Also, man, I had forgotten how forgiving DS2 is in terms of HP and armor actually reducing damage. I'm tooling around Iron Keep at 4 Vigor and doing just fine.
    Did you clear out the wharf? There should've been a greatsword in there. (It's just called "greatsword", but it's an ultra.)

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

Did you clear out the wharf? There should've been a greatsword in there. (It's just called "greatsword", but it's an ultra.)

I actually didn't, since I killed the Pursuer early and headed for the Bastille that way. I might need to take a detour to the Wharf for that greatsword though, because this club means that I'm having to fully depend on getting summoned for a durability recharge before attempting any boss, since it arrives near broken.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Not to be a killjoy, but Dark Souls 1 and 2 have their own thread over here.

My son started DS3 again this morning. He made a knight and named him "Sir Cumference".

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Surely Senpai will notice me now:

tumblr_okr48i44XE1v7znyxo1_1280.png

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Been playing through this now that I've figured out how to get it to not crash constantly. About to lose my mind against Abyss Watchers. I hate the run to the boss, I hate the first phase (because I hate all multi-enemy fights in Souls games), and I especially hate that in phase two the enemy is faster than me with more range and dodges well.

Probably should have pushed forward with my straight sword or UGS character before my greatsword character. I'm not sure if it's game balance or my play style, but as much as I like them they've felt bad to me for tougher PvE sections in every Souls game. At least, compared to the speed of straights or the range and stun of ultras.

edit: Cleared it by going in naked to get under 30%, so my rolls could actually get me out of the fire. Feels really dumb that they're essentially unrollable with armor on.

Kamar on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Been playing through this now that I've figured out how to get it to not crash constantly. About to lose my mind against Abyss Watchers. I hate the run to the boss, I hate the first phase (because I hate all multi-enemy fights in Souls games), and I especially hate that in phase two the enemy is faster than me with more range and dodges well.

Probably should have pushed forward with my straight sword or UGS character before my greatsword character. I'm not sure if it's game balance or my play style, but as much as I like them they've felt bad to me for tougher PvE sections in every Souls game. At least, compared to the speed of straights or the range and stun of ultras.

edit: Cleared it by going in naked to get under 30%, so my rolls could actually get me out of the fire. Feels really dumb that they're essentially unrollable with armor on.

Couple things.

The Abyss Walkers have nearly no poise. They have hyperarmor on certain moves, but if a weapon is fast enough you can lock them down for a couple of hits. And by fast enough I mean like, a claymore is enough. Also, when the red eye walker ressurects, he can hit and aggro onto the other two, making it a one on one fight again. If he dies, dodge till he resses, rinse and repeat.

Second thing, they are easily rollable in medium armor weight. Some of his moves catch back rolls though ugh, so rolling through them helps.

The Abyss Watchers are a loud, flashy fights, but it's one of the easier Lords of Cinder. Just gotta get past the bluster.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Abyss Watchers basically comes down to two things:

-Let the red eye do the work in phase 1

-Figure out the roll angles you need to avoid damage in phase 2

Also as Transporter mentioned, if you can get a clean hit in, you can usually get 2 or 3 since you can stagger them.

What trips most Souls vets up is that DS3 is a waaaaay faster game than previous entries, and Abyss Watchers are one of the faster paced fights. This makes people start playing really quickly as a reaction, and they lose the precision and deliberate pace you need to avoid hits. If you panic roll you will end up taking a ton of unnecessary damage.

edit: Also Abyss Watchers are a weird difficulty spike that isn't really matched again until you get to the very late game bosses.

edit2: Also greatswords are not super optimal compared to straight swords (nothing is, straight swords rule the roost in DS3), but they're usable. I used a Claymore for every single boss until like the third to last one in the game.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Exit room and stick to the right wall as you motor. You can get past everything and avoid the Darkwraiths in one swoop, it's the much easier way to get to them

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Also as Transporter mentioned, if you can get a clean hit in, you can usually get 2 or 3 since you can stagger them.

What trips most Souls vets up is that DS3 is a waaaaay faster game than previous entries, and Abyss Watchers are one of the faster paced fights. This makes people start playing really quickly as a reaction, and they lose the precision and deliberate pace you need to avoid hits. If you panic roll you will end up taking a ton of unnecessary damage.

edit: Also Abyss Watchers are a weird difficulty spike that isn't really matched again until you get to the very late game bosses.

edit2: Also greatswords are not super optimal compared to straight swords (nothing is, straight swords rule the roost in DS3), but they're usable. I used a Claymore for every single boss until like the third to last one in the game.

You can also just parry them. Parrying crushes so many bosses in ds3. You can pretty much caption a picture of a caestus with "one simple trick bosses don't want you to know! "

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

You can also just parry them. Parrying crushes so many bosses in ds3. You can pretty much caption a picture of a caestus with "one simple trick bosses don't want you to know! "

Absolutely trivializes Pontiff and Champion.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    My UGS character just got to Abyss Watchers, got it in a few pulls. Two of those deaths were because of accidental jumps. I only figured out that I wasn't pushing the wrong button like an idiot on the last pull--there are a lot of areas on the floor where if you change directions, you jump. Which isn't ideal, but is avoidable once I figured out why it was happening.

edit: Straight sword character steamrolled the fight...but my spear character was really painful, the worst the fight's been. I only beat it once I figured out you can just brute force the second phase with a high stability shield and backstabs.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    patch notes!
    Made system updates for The Ringed City.
    Increased frame rate for gameplay on PlayStation®4 Pro.
    2 New maps added to Undead Match, Dragon Ruins and Grand Roof.
    Added function to Undead Match where, if password matching is used, players can split into teams.
    Added function to Undead Match that allows one team of players to match with one password, and the other team to match with another password.
    Added function where various hosts could be displayed on the bonfire warp menu.
    Added warning text that advised player if he/she has dropped too many items in a single location on the field.
    Fixed issue where the loading screen was displayed for longer than usual when the guest returned to his/her own world after an online multiplayer session.
    Fixed issue in "The Painted World of Ariandel" where the opened/closed status of the door to the Cleansing Chapel did not synched properly during online multiplayer session.
    Fixed issue where a guest could enter alone into the boss room for the Dancer of the Boreal Valley during online multiplayer session.
    Fixed issue where the level sync feature in Undead Match did not synched consistently during online multiplayer session.
    Fixed issue in the loading screen where guests were not alerted to an error that occurred on the host's side during online multiplayer session.
    Fixed issue when player using the miracle Tears of Denial doesn’t get attacked during online multiplayer session.
    Fixed issue where weapons and items sent to the box get corrupted when inventory is full.
    Fixed icons that specify which certain items are for which gender. (ex. Chain Armor).
    Improved attack power for Shortsword. In accordance with this fix, critical hit is decreased in order to make critical power the same as present.
    Improved motion of normal attack for Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers and Curved Great Swords.
    Decreased stamina depletion when attacking using Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers, and Greataxes.
    Improved attack power for Curved Greatswords.
    Decreased motion of normal attack while dashing for Katanas. Improved motion of any other normal attacks.
    Improved motion of shield bash skill. In accordance with this fix, stamina consumption has been reduced.
    Improved motion of Dagger's Blind Spot skill.
    Increased rate at which Frostbite builds up when using Vordt's Great Hammer, Irithyll Straight Sword, and Friede's Great Scythe.
    Shortened attack window of Carthus Curved Sword and Dark Sword, Gargoyle Flame Hammer and Follower Sabre.
    Improved motion of Crescent Moon Sword's skill, Crescent Blade.
    Improved the motion of Moonlight Greatswords’s skill, Moonlight Vortex.
    Improved FP recovery effect of Executioner's Greatsword.
    Fixed so that Frost Blade appears from the beginning of Pontiff Knight Curved Sword skill.
    Improved FP decrease effect of Yorshka’s Spear skill, Pacify.
    Improved motion and the frost effect of Pontiff Knight Great Scythe skill.
    Improved motion of normal attack for Greatlance.
    Fixed so that poise is applied during Greatlance two-handed attack.
    Fixed so that poise is applied during Dark Hand skill, Lifedrain.
    Disabled parry during Pickaxe's two-handed attack.
    Improved duration of the Perseverance effect.
    Fixed issue where attack power of some bolts was different from the assumed value when using Avelyn.
    Fixed issue where one-handed attack motion of Crow Talons was the incorrectly using the animation for the Fists.
    Fixed issue where player can apply enchantment of Bloodlust to other weapons.
    Fixed so that poise is applied during Spin Sweep attack.
    Fixed issue where Onislayer continued to attack consecutively.
    Improved correction value for Sharp or Heavy weapons' upgrade.
    Increased rate at which bleeding builds up when using a reduced bleeding build-up.
    Decreased rate at which bleeding builds up before using a reduced bleeding build-up.
    Increased rate at which poison builds up when using a reduced poison build-up.
    Along with improving correction value for Sharp or Heavy weapons' upgrade, adjusted correction value for Refined or Hollowed weapons' upgrade.
    Improved defense and also increased weights for heavy armor.
    Improved the motion of Lightning Stake, Lightning Storm and Way of White Corona.
    Extended time when using the miracles of Gnaw, Dorhys' Gnawing and Wrath of the Gods.
    Fixed issue where bonus value is not affected by Dark Damage when equipping Hornet Ring during critical attack.
    Improved attack power and decreased duration of poison and poison effects players use.
    Decreased rate at which blood builds up when using Carthus Rouge.

buff to ultras, curved greatswords, various novelty weapons, heavy/sharp infusion
    kind of maybe buff to heavy armor?
    nerfs to meta weapons, probably refined infusions.

real interesting

• Options
    Ultra buffs! At last! \[T]/

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Improved attack power and decreased duration of poison and poison effects players use.
    These might be pretty substantial? Carthus Rouge was the cornerstone of many builds, so that being less effective is kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure what the poison one means. Does that mean that the poison status effect will do more damage and over less time if it's inflicted by a player? Because that could make poison viable for the first time.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    These might be pretty substantial? Carthus Rouge was the cornerstone of many builds, so that being less effective is kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure what the poison one means. Does that mean that the poison status effect will do more damage and over less time if it's inflicted by a player? Because that could make poison viable for the first time.

That's my read, but it's From patch notes, so this could very well mean that poison is now an instant heal that causes +3 hollowing.

• Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/60sq9w/patch_note_errorfromsoftwares_official_twitter/

Looks like heavy armor is getting an absorption buff and a weight reduction. Freakin' sweet.

• Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/60sq9w/patch_note_errorfromsoftwares_official_twitter/

Looks like heavy armor is getting an absorption buff and a weight reduction. Freakin' sweet.

Oh thank the Jesus.

It was downright insane that a feasible Mourne or Havel build required New Game++ and an insane Soul level.

And by feasible, I mean FAT ROLLING, with more than like, 12 Vitality.

It was downright nonsense that true heavy builds had low life, and the actual armor made so little of a difference in damage reduction it didn't matter.

• Options

This is actually pretty amazing.

They aren't nerfing bleed. They are nerfing LUCK builds/infusions.

The best bleed builds were just stack Luck+Hollowing weapons+Carthas Rouge.

Now those bleed infusion stones will be worth a damn, and you'll need to balance out some DPS stats with Luck to get the same effectiveness, while also allowing other builds to build for bleed without luck.

• Options
    Honestly this patch looks to be really great.

I might Cheat Engine my stats back down to 120 just to PvP again...

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem to do much for caster builds (split damage still blows, spell slots are expensive, damage is too heavily influenced by gear), but yeah, it looks like a huge step forward on the physical front

there might be dex builds again!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Honestly this patch looks to be really great.

I might Cheat Engine my stats back down to 120 just to PvP again...

I haven't been keeping up with the do's and don'ts for ds3, but in ds2 editing your stats, soul count, or level directly were all guaranteed ways to get ban hammered.

If you wanted to skip the grind, you had to make a new character and stuff a bunch of the consumable "soul of a _________" items into your inventory.

Always backup everything before you tamper with stuff.

It's hard to tell, but it sounds like the damage rate is going up. We'll have to see what the final damage values are. My money is on one of the following :

Damage is still terrible. Poison builds still nonexistent.

Damage is overpowered. Poison builds everywhere.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Supposedly if you set stats to normal levels (e.g. no all 99s at 120) the game doesn't care but ve shall see.

• Options
    Score, I found a backup save I had made that rolled me back to where I was (more or less) when I picked the game up last week. No need to futz with anything unnaturally!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I have a character at 120, another around 110, and a third around... 50?

I'm real curious about these changes since my quality character likes to roll with an UGS.

• Options
    Am I alone in feeling like the lock-on system has actually gotten worse over time?

In 1, I point the camera at someone and hit lock-on, I'm getting that person locked on even if they're behind me or something. In 2 or 3, maybe I quickturn or target someone else instead.

• Options
    The Ringed City Launch Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbxn03qo6s

Four Days. Don't you go hollow!

• Options
    Oh man. That trailer. I'm pumped!

Mostly stuff we'd seen. A few cool things we hadn't.

But man... a lot of pressure for this one. It's our Darkness souls swan song, for a while at least. It's looking good, I have high hopes but a lot of confidence.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Houn wrote: »
    The Ringed City Launch Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbxn03qo6s

Four Days. Don't you go hollow!

That dialogue change right off the bat is... weird.

Edit; on a relisten, there's too much difference in the cadence of her phrasing to be the same line but slightly changed. That's more dialogue.

ALSO THAT STATUE

AvalonGuard on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Man this patch has been awesome. I've actually been neglecting Andromeda (which I like a lot) to play. Ultras feel better, Sharp actually competes with Refined on 40/40 builds, heavy armor is more usable, Dragonslayer Armor got its plume back and the subreddit is losing its fucking mind. Good patch From. Good patch.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Man this patch has been awesome. I've actually been neglecting Andromeda (which I like a lot) to play. Ultras feel better, Sharp actually competes with Refined on 40/40 builds, heavy armor is more usable, Dragonslayer Armor got its plume back and the subreddit is losing its fucking mind. Good patch From. Good patch.

Well, you've convinced me to re-install and buy the DLC. Well done, obvious FROMSOFT shill, well done.
    I kid, I kid. :rotate:

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    My current plan is to finish Zelda, then start a fresh run. Now taking fun pve build suggestions!

• Options
    Shit. Between the DLC AND Nioh getting a big patch I'm not sure what to play.

Also we're seeing what looking like some new Miracles and I'm really hopeful that they're awesome.