As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Cyborg is pretty garbage too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    What's up kickpuncher

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Well, I was wondering how the league assembled itself in the movie universe

Looks like the answer is Photoshop

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    why is it I can never find it in me to care about Firestorm

Part of that is probably that he's got Superman+ levels of power in a universe that already has Superman, and that really makes it hard for a character to find a niche. It doesn't help that his traditional weakness is "kind of dumb", which does not lead to exciting conflict.

You realize you've also just described Green Lantern?
    (Though he has a built-in character hook with all the rehashed Lensman stuff, and the vast body of (space) cop cliches.)

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    What, you guys don't like the bright red codpiece in a field of black? What about that doesn't say 'Flash'?

• Options
    Best part of the JL footage is Aquaman swigging that beer

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I

think

I really like both of these trailers?!

• Options
    I think they are trying a little too hard for the jokes in the JL trailer but that's better than the alternative of having none of them so I'm cool with it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I still doubt that this Justice League movie is something I want to see but I guess it's good that they were visibly veering away from the tone of BvS?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    seeing Timm's comments about it, i kinda wonder if he pushed for it in both Batman Beyond and now this because it's a pet theory of his

because i don't think his reading of the text is in any way the norm

It's important to note that at the time Timm grew up with comics, Barbara actually was closer in age to Bruce than she was to Dick. Bruce even tried to fix her up with Clark Kent at one point (but--not knowing he was Superman--she found him boring). She also became a Congresswoman for a while.

Dick Grayson had a definite crush on her, but she was usually portrayed as seeing him more like a little brother.

Crisis on Infinite Earths made her younger and ditched the Congresswoman part, but she was still older than Dick and they didn't really get to interact too much since she only had like 3 appearances between then and Killing Joke. Then after that she still didn't get too many major appearances until the writers of Suicide Squad turned her into Oracle.

BtAS is really the first major time she was changed to be Dick Grayson's age and they were made into an official couple (presumably because they skipped over the Bette Kane Batgirl who actually was Dick's age and all). Then the comics tried to retcon Dick & Barbara's relationship into their current histories, but that kind of made a mess since Dick was supposed to be with Starfire during much of that time, and they tried to preserve that relationship too. The infamous flashback were Dick is shown sleeping with Barbara and then handing her an invitation to his wedding with Starfire was supposedly that writer's attempt to show how dumb he thought the retcon was.

• Options
    New Suicide Squad trailer for Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1PlNIvbkk

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I feel like DC's just going to aggressively toss fun rock songs onto trailers now to make sure you know that these movies are going to be FUN now. Main problem is the jokes in that Justice League trailer are...pretty bad, and they really want you to know that they're there, so the trailer keeps...stopping to make sure you know that THIS is the joke. Look at it! Look at the joke!

I really hope Wonder Woman is good, but I'm still super wary of anything DC puts out.

• Options
    I feel like DC's just going to aggressively toss fun rock songs onto trailers now to make sure you know that these movies are going to be FUN now. Main problem is the jokes in that Justice League trailer are...pretty bad, and they really want you to know that they're there, so the trailer keeps...stopping to make sure you know that THIS is the joke. Look at it! Look at the joke!

I really hope Wonder Woman is good, but I'm still super wary of anything DC puts out.
    I liked Flash's "I...I need friends. Can I keep this?" But yeah everything else was eeeeh

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    hey not trying to be a dick but isn't this the thread for the comics while the other is for the tv/movie stuff?

• Options
    For a second, I thought Batman called Aquaman "Martha Curry."

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    That Flash outfit is atrocious, good lord.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So is Affleck now directing JL, or is it still Snyder? I got confused by the title of that Youtube video.

Ceno on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I am so glad that Ben Affleck took over

Justice League should be easy

it's so good

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I am so glad that Ben Affleck took over

Justice League should be easy

it's so good
    He didn't, Zack Snyder is directing Justice League

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Okay Justice League, I know you're pandering.

But good job with Rick and Morty in the backround.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think they are trying a little too hard for the jokes in the JL trailer but that's better than the alternative of having none of them so I'm cool with it

Its cool that the tone is changing but the fundamental problem in MoS and BvS is that the writing is incredibly bad and the characters unlikable. Those things wont change.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Is Goyer involved with Justice League in a meaningful way? Snyder's shitty, but it always seemed like Goyer was the worse of the two.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I do like that the Flash looks like he has some serious runners legs though.

I think Aquaman's costume is actually more dissapointing than the Flash's. The first promo pic without the jacket or whatever that is looked much better.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Is Goyer involved with Justice League in a meaningful way? Snyder's shitty, but it always seemed like Goyer was the worse of the two.

Goyer was pretty much ousted from the DC film camp partway through production on BvS. he still had a hand in writing the script but during promotion no one brought his name up at all and only ever mentioned Terrio. it's pretty safe to say that Snyder was the lead creative force behind BvS

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Looks like no but the writer is the same as BvS.

Although I suspect that Snyder has been doing some uncredited rewrites since the beginning.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Lee and Didio confirmed that Wildstorm characters beyond Apollo and Midnighter will be joining the Rebirth train but nothing will be announced until NYCC

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah okay I'm tentatively into Wonder Woman

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Goyer was pretty much ousted from the DC film camp partway through production on BvS. he still had a hand in writing the script but during promotion no one brought his name up at all and only ever mentioned Terrio. it's pretty safe to say that Snyder was the lead creative force behind BvS

Well I can't be completely satisfied because Snyder is still involved

But fuck that huckster David Goyer, I'm glad he's gone and I hope he never works on anything I care about again

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yeah okay I'm tentatively into Wonder Woman

I've been into Wonder Woman since JL/JLU

wait

nah I'm going to let that stand

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Cyborg is pretty garbage too

well that's pretty much par for the course when it comes to Cyborg, isn't it

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I feel like that Flash costume looks better once in motion with all the effects, but it does look weird in that promo picture.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    whoops wrong thread.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Okay yeah we do have a designated thread for Arrow/Flash/CW stuff, y'all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    okay yes Michael Cera as Lego Robin to Will Arnett's Batman okay yup yes

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Leto's Joker laugh sounds like the Count from Sesame Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhqmRJ8CD8

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

As much as Jared Leto as the Joker is a dumpster fire, this is the closest we'll get to seeing Amanda Waller react to the Joker in real life and I thank him for that.

This discussion has been closed.