As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Rayzerbeam wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Current Version: v247.3
    * Fixed Archaeopteryx spawn frequency on TheIsland, now common in Redwoods. Requires server update.
    * Fixed client crash-on-exit that occured with certain mods

Servers coming back online now. Let me know if you still can't log in.

Archaeopteryx are a pain to find...I searched all over the redwoods last night and found one. A lvl 20. I will try my search again.

I'm not sure how common they are supposed to be.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Popping in to ask if you could feed the Center critters again if you haven't recently. And maybe check the generators . . .

I know I've been gone for a while. Only up right now because of another OB appointment for the wife. =_=

Critters are fed, generators refilled. (some of them had run out) We lost meat and veggies but the kibble stores were still afflicted with that weird timing bug from being transferred over, so they are fine.

I also fed the dinos at Aistans docks.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I decided to make a Discord server, as another means of communicating. Feel free to join me!

https://discord.gg/jrUGGvM

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Surprise Announcement: Event #4 is live - TREASURE HUNT

This one is real simple. I spent some time today hiding loot all over The Center. These containers should be lootable by anyone, if they aren't lemme know and I will work out something.

Some are easily spotted and glowing
    Some do not glow at all
    Some are extremely hidden
    All contain randomized resources, randomized items, or in a few cases... specially chosen high-quality loot.
    A few even have Scorched Earth items in them

Over the course of the next week or so I will be hiding more whenever I get time, but the first batch is out there.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hello, fellow survivors! I joined the SE server this morning, following the building of a new PC and having a firmer grasp on my free time since my son was born earlier this year. Still waiting on my 1070 to arrive but my old 970 is doing the job for now.
    Because of my 7 month old son, I have to semi-regularly run off to tend to his needs even though I only really play games while he's sleeping. This morning I left my unconscious body atop the thatch platform I built overlooking a canyon with the intent of building a little hut. Being scorched earth, should I worry about coming back to my body being fried to a crisp in the sun and struggling to find my way back until I can make a bed? Also, I didn't catch any limitations in the OP, is there a rule of thumb for how close one should set up camp near his neighbors?

Edit: After a sandstorm hit, I got hopelessly lost and unable to find my meager shelter. South spawn refused to spawn me anywhere near as far as I could tell. I have taken shelter in MuddBudd's fortress like a filthy squatter and logged out. I will return later to forge a path back to my belongings and reconsider my shelter's location.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Hello, fellow survivors! I joined the SE server this morning, following the building of a new PC and having a firmer grasp on my free time since my son was born earlier this year. Still waiting on my 1070 to arrive but my old 970 is doing the job for now.
    Because of my 7 month old son, I have to semi-regularly run off to tend to his needs even though I only really play games while he's sleeping. This morning I left my unconscious body atop the thatch platform I built overlooking a canyon with the intent of building a little hut. Being scorched earth, should I worry about coming back to my body being fried to a crisp in the sun and struggling to find my way back until I can make a bed? Also, I didn't catch any limitations in the OP, is there a rule of thumb for how close one should set up camp near his neighbors?

Edit: After a sandstorm hit, I got hopelessly lost and unable to find my meager shelter. South spawn refused to spawn me anywhere near as far as I could tell. I have taken shelter in MuddBudd's fortress like a filthy squatter and logged out. I will return later to forge a path back to my belongings and reconsider my shelter's location.

Only real rule of thumb is don't build so close as to block them expanding their own place. I believe weather won't affect you while you are offline but I would suggest logging off indoors anyway, if you can manage it.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Found one of your hidden chests. Had upgrades for my scuba gear and metal walls/foundations/ceilings/pillars. The only downside is they weren't s+. But! I have a grinder and now I have finished building the glass platforms and inclined wedges I needed!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah the random ones only use default stuff. Some of the others might have S+ things in them though, if I filled them manually.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Budd, you continue to be a marvel.

Edit: did you program the chests to give things like drops do?

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I'm thinking I should store my dinos. I don't want to quit, but I haven't been wanting to play recently. Actually I just don't want to gather materials. Which makes building (what I want to do) difficult. So maybe just a break for a month or so will get rid of my burn out and gathering wont be so bad again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    @MuddBudd looks like a mod updated, can't log into SE at the moment...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the shelter, MuddBudd. I put my big boy pants on last night and managed to find my way back to my shelter. Nearly have enough hides after chasing down/treeing parasaurs to build a bed so I shouldn't get lost much longer.

Without digging back page by page to see if this has been answered already, will we be able to use the obelisk to transport stuff to another server not on the same box? My siblings have been talking about running a private server to play together, and I wondered if I'd be able to take some stuff over there eventually.

• Options
    I'm gonna try the downgrade and reinstall mod trick to get on the server.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Just tried logging in, mod mismatch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RayzerbeamRayzerbeam Registered User regular

Im pretty sure we are your neighbors and you were a good distance from us. No worries in expanding you local. Sorry we were not able to help when the raptor killed you last night, but we did manage to kill it...just barely! You have been avenged! :)

• Options
    RayzerbeamRayzerbeam Registered User regular
    we too are having the mismatch as well

• Options
    Rayzerbeam wrote: »

Im pretty sure we are your neighbors and you were a good distance from us. No worries in expanding you local. Sorry we were not able to help when the raptor killed you last night, but we did manage to kill it...just barely! You have been avenged! :)

I'm forever grateful, raptor ambushes were the bane of my existence last night. I watched another that killed me outside my hut get wrecked by a tiny heard of morellatops and danced a little jig.
    SE is much, much harder than playing on the island. Actually reminds me of when I first got the game during the Winter event and it was winter everywhere and nearly impossible to get started from the cold, only with heat stroke.
    Aside from just 'struggle til you get it', are there any pointers for getting going in the desert? I wouldn't mind tribing up later on but I like to get my bearings and not skip the learning curve.

• Options
    bolas, bolas, bolas + boomerangs

Seriously the bola is civilization. Once you get your 1st bed made sink some early hide into bolas. You can bolas a raptor and throw spears at it to kill it (or run), similarly several bolas and a few boomerangs can knock out a raptor or terror bird early on.

Also you really really want to tame a morelltop. The are like upgraded trikes + mobile water source that doesn't leak. Jerbora are also super handy and an easy tame too. A handful of mejo berries (or species y) and some narco berries will net you a shoulder buddy that will warn you before the weather turns bad.

Also you can throw or club stuff with a boomerang. Make a few, pin a morreltop against a cliff and club it till it drops. Just be sure he doesn't have friends.

For housing build thatch or adobe dwellings. Stone is for defense but will cook you.

Tents and later desert clothes are key. Waterskins are almost useless. Stay near a water source starting out...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    I'm up, I'm up.

Working on it.

• Options
    Alright things should work now. Minor bug fixes to S+
    - S+ structures can now replace and be replaced by vanilla and mod structures
    - Crop plot engrams no longer duplicate and non s+ crop plots no longer turn into s+
    (S+ crop plots in inventory will be vanilla crop plots, need to mind wipe to get rid of existing duplicated engrams)
    - Sunlit requirement removed when placing crop plots
    - Resource pulling now works on non-english servers
    - New Config Option: DisableResourcePulling
    - New Config Option: ResourcePullRangeInFoundations
    - Added menu item to crafting stations that will show the pull range
    - Pull resource list will now accurately reflect container contents
    - New Config Option: DisableAbilityToHideStructures
    - You can now hide/show all wires connected to a generator(radial menu)
    - Hatchframes snapping fixed
    - Ceilings and foundations can snap to the bottom of ramps

• Options
    Current Version: v247.4
    * Added Archaeopteryx and Tapejara to ScorchedEarth -- Archaeopteryx hangs around Joshua Trees, Tapejara can be found in mountainous areas.

• Options
    BeornK wrote: »

Seriously the bola is civilization. Once you get your 1st bed made sink some early hide into bolas. You can bolas a raptor and throw spears at it to kill it (or run), similarly several bolas and a few boomerangs can knock out a raptor or terror bird early on.

Also you really really want to tame a morelltop. The are like upgraded trikes + mobile water source that doesn't leak. Jerbora are also super handy and an easy tame too. A handful of mejo berries (or species y) and some narco berries will net you a shoulder buddy that will warn you before the weather turns bad.

Also you can throw or club stuff with a boomerang. Make a few, pin a morreltop against a cliff and club it till it drops. Just be sure he doesn't have friends.

For housing build thatch or adobe dwellings. Stone is for defense but will cook you.

Tents and later desert clothes are key. Waterskins are almost useless. Stay near a water source starting out...

Got myself a morellatops last night. Morellatops is civilization. Life has substantially improved since taming one, even more so since building a saddle for it.

• Options
    BeornK wrote: »

Got myself a morellatops last night. Morellatops is civilization. Life has substantially improved since taming one, even more so since building a saddle for it.

I know right? I know that some of the utility is because of the water scarcity on the map, but it's like they took the trike and made it MORE awesome.

• Options
    I know right? I know that some of the utility is because of the water scarcity on the map, but it's like they took the trike and made it MORE awesome.

You folks are all going to be tiny gods before I finally get onto the SE server . . .

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I should point out I did a dino wipe to allow the new critters to spread, so there's a chance rock elementals spawned where they weren't before.
    Kalnaur wrote: »

You folks are all going to be tiny gods before I finally get onto the SE server . . .

You can always start solo until you feel ready to join up with a Tribe.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
  • Options
    You can always start solo until you feel ready to join up with a Tribe.

I'm fine with relying on gods. Just so long as y'all know that's what I'll be doing . . .

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

It blows my mind that someone's competent enough to get a Wyvern Egg, but makes the mistake of "using" it on the hotbar.

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »

It blows my mind that someone's competent enough to get a Wyvern Egg, but makes the mistake of "using" it on the hotbar.

I am guessing he spent the moments before the feed building all those torches, and was still in the 'use hotbar to place things' frame of mind.

• Options
    Don't bother with the Archaeopteryx unless its for giggles. They don't sit on you shoulder which means your hands are occupied like carrying a dung beetle.

If they change them to ride on you shoulders (even if you need to empty your hands to use them they will be a lot of fun though. You can glide really far.

I could see some hand gliding contests in the future, but they aren't practical for day to day usage.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular

I am guessing he spent the moments before the feed building all those torches, and was still in the 'use hotbar to place things' frame of mind.

I did this with a fertilized Quetz egg. Felt really bad.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    BitTWist wrote: »

I did this with a fertilized Quetz egg. Felt really bad.

Felt bad but tasted delicious!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Do fertilized eggs give you more food?

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Do fertilized eggs give you more food?

No, just more regret.

• Options
    My empire continues to expand. I managed to get a raptor in the 140s tamed during one of my son's naps (and nearly lost him during the next one), and got him saddled fairly quickly. I am debating relocating because my morellatops has fallen off the cliff face I'm situated on no less than 3 times because I can't scrape enough clay together for perimeter wall. Such a move would hurt less if there were S+ versions of adobe walls; as it is I'm looking at a major loss relocating. Unless there are and I'm just blind. That happens sometimes.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    My empire continues to expand. I managed to get a raptor in the 140s tamed during one of my son's naps (and nearly lost him during the next one), and got him saddled fairly quickly. I am debating relocating because my morellatops has fallen off the cliff face I'm situated on no less than 3 times because I can't scrape enough clay together for perimeter wall. Such a move would hurt less if there were S+ versions of adobe walls; as it is I'm looking at a major loss relocating. Unless there are and I'm just blind. That happens sometimes.

They don't exist yet. He needs them to finish updating the Dev Kit before he can add S+ adobe things.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    That's right, forgot about the dev kit thing. I'm sure it's been discussed before but the functionality of all the 'plus' mods is so head and shoulders better than the default building stuff, why in the world aren't they incorporated like Primitive Plus and the Center?

• Options
    That's right, forgot about the dev kit thing. I'm sure it's been discussed before but the functionality of all the 'plus' mods is so head and shoulders better than the default building stuff, why in the world aren't they incorporated like Primitive Plus and the Center?

Honestly the picking up of walls and stuff should be baseline.

Sounds like they are aiming for this week on the dev kit, btw.

• Options

Honestly the picking up of walls and stuff should be baseline.

Sounds like they are aiming for this week on the dev kit, btw.

Exactly this. There is no reason I should have to demolish a palm-sized mortar and pestle in order to move it somewhere else. Or a chair or table for that matter. Walls and stuff I guess they could make a realism argument but man is it a pain in the ass.

• Options
    For the record you can pick up and move chairs. Super handy for fishing. The picking up and moving/replacing stuff has huge impacts on pvp. That said I think a unfixed/fixed setting for items would work for pvp where you can move stuff until you fix it in place but you can't use it till its fixed and anyone could pick up an unfixed item. Once fixed you couldn't unfix it. This would solve 90% of the snap issues and support pvp.

Also I ran into my 1st alpha death-worm. How about NOPE. It hits hard, really hard. Like 250 damage a hit vs my rex in a saddle. And it hits frequently my solo rex had zero chance to beat it. Rex and I bravely ran away which was good because moments later my jerboa starts chirping... Sand Storm. Jerboa MVP. Sorry Rex.

DS0mQJS.png