As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    "Oh fer...I BE TRYIN' TO KILL GOBLINS," the dwarf yells when the kobolds turn from helping the group to trying to stab them. Switching gears, he swings wildly over the tiny head of one of the kobolds, his hammer still refusing to actually land on anything solid.

minion, roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    minion, roll 1d8+2 for Damage

Attack:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]
    Damage:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Nothing good comes of rolling natural 20s outside of combat.

Characters
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Salazar, absolutely mortified at his murder-happy collegues, decides to try keep appearances up in case anyone is still watching; the walls are literally likely to have ears, kobolds tend to live in large groups.

He bellows "<draconic>For Zarr! " through the room before turning towards the dwarf.
    He gives Dural a sly wink, a wicked grin and throws a meek firebolt at him, trying to barely strafe him.

The firebolt goes wide; hopefully he'll understand the play.

Minion, roll 2#1d20+6 firebolt with disadvantage.

firebolt with disadvantage.:
    2#1d20+6 2 # 18 [1d20=12] 17 [1d20=11]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The dwarf turns from the Kobold he was attempting to smash into paste to stare dumbfounded at Salazar. "Could ye aim any closer to me damn face?! I dun think my beard be singed enough."

One day, Shield Expertise will do something. I don't know when that day will be, but I have a dream.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hearing the thumps in the hall, Ay quickly glances around the corner and sees Barran and the two remaining goblins sleeping. At least, he assumes that, given the earthquake inducing snoring coming from the halfling. How does such a small creature make such a loud sound, he wonders. Turning back to see the kobolds... and Salazar?!... attacking the rest of his party, Ay moves into striking distance, lashing out at any nearby creatures while working his way to the weakened one in the rear. Kobolds first, then we'll deal with Salazar, he muses. With a swing of his staff, he sends the first flying out of his way and into a nearby wall, motionless. With great speed, he drop kicks the already weakened one into another wall, who gasps as his eyes shut. Ay moves to block any exit on the far side of the room.

I'm going to assume Ay is meant to go somewhere between the human and the dwarf.

Move: To a Kobold (4)
    Action: Attack a Kobold (4)
    Move: Move to another Kobold (2) (No OA, Mobile)
    Bonus: Martial Arts, Attack Kobold (2)
    Move: With any remaining movement, I'll move to block the retreat out of this room and toward any reinforcements.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for QStaff Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for QStaff Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Unarmed Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Unarmed Damage

Kobold (1) - DEAD
    Kobold (2) - DEAD
    Kobold (3) - DEAD
    Kobold (4) - DEAD
    Kobold (5) - AC: 12, HP:5, Pack Tactics
    Kobold (6) - DEAD
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 12/27, Spells:-/2, ASLEEP
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+2/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 3/4, HD: 2/4
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20
    Goblin Boss - DEAD
    Goblin (1) - DEAD
    Goblin (2) - DEAD
    Goblin (3) - AC: 15, HP: 7, Nimble Escape, ASLEEP
    Goblin (4) - AC: 15, HP: 7, Nimble Escape, ASLEEP
    Goblin (5) - DEAD
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+6/30, Spells: -/3/0, SP: 1, INSPIRATION

@Steelhawk

QStaff Attack:
    1d20+5 12 [1d20=7]
    QStaff Damage:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]
    Unarmed Attack:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    Unarmed Damage:
    1d4+3 4 [1d4=1]

am0n on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The last Kobold turns towards Salazar and moves to stand with him (or slightly behind him) in solidarity/cowardice. "Adventurers, Sir! What rotten timing! I should go and get help! I'll come back with some of those idiot Bugbears! Yeah, that'll teach 'em!" he babbles to the Tiefling in Draconic, barely slowing his pace as he tries to flee from the room.

Anyone can take an Opportunity attack against him if you choose as he flees the room

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    "<draconic>And just as we were showing those dastardly goblins what-for!
    Very well, go and summon reinforcements! I shall delay them as long as I can!"

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I intentionally moved to block him from some exit. If he is trying to get past me in the exit I am in, then yes, I will take that attack. If I am not at that exit, ignore the roll and RP.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for OA QStaff Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for OA QStaff Damage

Watching Salazar speak to the kobold, Ay is almost furious. As the creature tries to run past him, Ay lifts the end of his staff in one swift motion, connecting with the throat of the creature, collapsing it's windpipe. He then raises his staff in Salazar's direction.

"Explain yourself and your attack on Dural."

OA QStaff Attack:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    OA QStaff Damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

am0n on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Salazar motions towards the staff with his gaze.

"Point that else where or we'll find out how well you can dodge fire."

// provided Ay puts his staff down
    "How about you explain yourself! I had the kobolds following my orders! I could have gained some insight into Zarr, her lair and her operations. But you fools couldn't refrain from rushing in and butchering the lot of them!"
    He pauses for a moment.
    "Luckily, one of us managed to prevent 2 goblins from escaping. Two goblins we can now still question."
    Salazar walks past Ay and readies some rope.

// if Ay does not remove his staff
    Salazar swats at the staff pointed at him and ignores the monk.
    "I've no time for your idle threats, we have two sleeping goblins to restrain and question."
    He starts walking towards the goblins.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    As the tiefling attempts to swat at the staff, Ay brings the other end around, connecting with the tiefling's hand. "I can likely dodge it better than you think. Any more attacks on the group will be met with retaliation. Treachery will not be tolerated."

• Options
    The dwarf scratches his head. "Ye keep yellin' 'Attack.' He missed me. Not by much, but I figure if'n Firestarter wanted to hit me, he'd have hit me. This keepin' goblins and slimyscales alive business though," he continues, shaking his head, "To talk, rather than removin' em from these halls and movin' on's still confusing me. Undermountain ain't the overworld that ye can get lost in just by followin' the wrong tallfolk around for too long."

Characters
  • Options
    Still ignoring the monk, Salazar will turn to Dural:
    "Surely you'd agree, Dural, that obtaining some sort of information on Zarr would benefit us greatly.
    And getting information is easier if the people you're talking to trust you. Like those kobolds. Could have given me the layout to this place, Zarr's numbers.. but now we have to try extort it out of uncooperative goblins.
    Speaking of which, help me restrain them?"

-providing Ay can calm himself down-
    Whilst tying up the goblins, Salazar has an idea.
    "Ok, this might not be a total loss.
    They think I'm a superior in Zarr's army!
    We'll pretend I'm your hostage! We put on a show, then you drag me off into that passage where we came from, I'll scream and gurgle a bit to simulate you slitting my throat, then you guys pressure them into spilling the beans on the place!
    "

Salazar looks at himself.
    Or rather his robe.
    He starts trying to look like someone roughed him up.

"Ok, going to need a finishing touch.
    Say Ay, you still got your knickers in a twist about the subtelties of infiltrating the enemy ranks?
    How's about you put that to use and HIT ME! Just not the jaw please. Cheekbone will do, I need a bruise.
    "

If Ay seems hesitant:
    "oh CMON! They're going to be awake soon! Someone punch me!"

• Options
    Ay glances at Dural, relaxing a bit at his words and lowering his staff, but still watching Salazar closely. "I'll trust you, Dural. The tiefling is starting to worry me, though."

• Options
    You guys are doing great. Keep it up!

Has someone woken up Barran yet?

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Easy, everyone," says Philo, positioning himself in the middle of the group. "Easy to misunderstand when your blood's up. Let's get what information we can and move on. We've an appointment with Lady Zarr."

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Barran rolls over onto his side and tucks his hands under his head. His snores co-mingle with the goblins' own high-pitched raspy squeaking to provide an oddly relaxing harmonic in the stone corridor.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Pointing his staff to the ground, more as a walking stick, Ay suddenly remembers the thud in the hallway. Looking around, and not noticing the trickster, Ay chimes up, "Where is Barran?"

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Interparty conflict is great and all...but lets move this along.

Is someone going to punch Salazar in the face to help him with his elaborate ploy of convincing some goblins...that he just tried to kill...to help him out? :)

And is someone ever going to wake up your Halfling?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    With the others looking dumbfounded by Ay's question, Ay makes his way to the hall. Looking down the hall, he see's Barran... cuddling... with a goblin, a second with it's head burried in the crevice of the ground and wall. This'll be an interesting story, he thinks to himself. Walking over, he separates the halfling from the goblin, Ay jostles Barran a bit to wake him up. "Wake up, halfling. We have to keep moving."

• Options
    // if no one punches salazar in the face he'll take a break and eat some jerky.

• Options
    I will assume that you will gather the sleeping Goblins, bind them and bring them back into the room. Otherwise, they'll just be lying out in the hallway waiting for whomever to find them dozing out there.

@Bursar - Barran is awake now. And is in quite a bit of pain.

Stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 12/27, Spells:-/2,

Goblin (3) - AC: 15, HP: 7, Nimble Escape, ASLEEP
    Goblin (4) - AC: 15, HP: 7, Nimble Escape, ASLEEP

• Options
    Barran manages to push himself into a sitting position before gasping and clutching at his sides in pain. His hands come back red, covered in blood from a pair of nasty gashes, one on each side, from the tag-teaming the goblins had given him before their aborted bid for freedom.

A shaking hand pries a healing potion from his pack and he manages to choke it down.
    (please see spoiler note)

Still wincing, though feeling a little better, Barran looks up into Ay's bemused face... then sees the goblins lying to either side, one of them uncomfortably close. He draws a dagger and begins to crawl towards the sleeping goblin, a look of murder in his eye...

Nobody's told Barran that the plan's now to keep these guys alive! I figure you can stop him if you act fast enough (he's crawling pretty slowly, and took a moment to down a potion.

Geth, roll 2d4+4 for Potion of Healing.
    I've committed a grave sin and didn't mark on my sheet whether Barran actually bought any potions when they returned to the Yawning Portal. If it turns out he doesn't have one, ignore the potion roll and he pulls out a "home remedy" full of delicious herbs and spices that numbs the pain without doing any actual healing.

Potion of Healing:
    2d4+4 7 [2d4=2, 1]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    // Man I'm running around with a bunch of psychopaths. Wanna-be bilbo is about to shank a sleeping dude!

• Options
    Still feeling some remorse for feeding the hobgoblins to the talking mirror, Ay pauses as he is about to tell Barran to hold, and only follows up with, "These two goblins are the only ones left."

• Options
    edited February 2017
    evilthecat wrote: »
    // Man I'm running around with a bunch of psychopaths. Wanna-be bilbo is about to shank a sleeping dude!

It's the little guys you always have to watch out for! I bet halfling prisons are among the most violent places on the planet.

Barran's dagger is to the goblin's throat, but he turns around at Ay's comment.

"They're the only goblins left, or the only anyone left? There was a fireball, and then..." He shakes his still magic-addled head. "If the four of us in the hallway are the only survivors of that massacre, we've got to get out of here. That maniac! He blew us up!"

A tiny fist beats against the flagstones. "Damn him! Damn him all to helllllll!"

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    "Woah, woah. Only goblins left. The others are in the room. But Salazar did try to cast a spell on the dwarf. I think Dural doesn't think much of it, but he seemed too comfortable with the kobolds. But we silenced the kobolds."

• Options
    "Ugh. I think... Well, I'm no expert in dungeon-dweller psychology, but walking into a room full of people on edge and acting like the only person who knows what they're doing is a good way to bluff yourself into a position of trust. Could be Sal saw an opportunity to get some of Zarr's minions on his side before things went bad. Wouldn't have been a bad idea for no time to plan. But then things went bad anyway."

Barran sighs and puts his dagger away. He rubs the side of his face wearily, then stops in horror--either one of those gelatinous cubes had run him over, or that goblin had been licking him while he'd been asleep.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    "What should we do with these two? If we leave them here, they are likely to raise the alarm when they wake. And I still have a pit in my stomach about the mirror eating the hobgoblins." Thinking for a moment, "I'm still not sure I trust Salazar, but if what you said is correct, perhaps he can use these two as prisoners to somehow get us passed Lady Zarr's defenses. Or maybe they can give us information as to how to get to her."

• Options
    Dural rounds a corner of the room and then just stands there, smirking, "If'n ye be lookin' for a tiny secret door, there ain't one in them stones." He then shrugs when it comes to Ay's questions, "Use em to test fer more of them electrical traps? Tallfolk used to do that, didn't they, in mines and stuff? Swore I heard about that somewhere. Dogs or something?"

Characters
  • Options
    Salazar, upon hearing the mention of a fireball, feels low and hollow.
    "one of these days .." he muses to himself. "one of these days..".

With no one stepping up to to clock Salazar, he redresses himself and quietly sits in a corner. Chewing jerky. Looking at the dead kobolds. Thinking what could have been.

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Well, I can't speak Goblin, so I'm no help," says Philo. "But let's get what we can from them and get moving, before Zarr or her lieutenants wonder where their pickets went."

• Options
    "I ain't lugging a goblin t'be fed to another Mimic though, so just yell at them angrily, or whatever, and let's be done with it."

Characters
  • Options
    // not strong enough to lug em around, can't speak goblinoid and no one wanted to punch me in the face! someone else needs to handle this. perhaps that goody-twoshoes monk ;D

• Options
    Shank 'em or talk to 'em, people...we should keep the game moving. But I still love the IC interaction!

• Options
    Eying the tiefling being standoffish, Ay whispers under his breathe, "Suspicious." Turning to the others, "Then if no one can talk to them, best to just deal with them and move on, unless you can talk to the, Barran?"

• Options
    Barran ties the goblins' arms and legs with a length of rope, then kicks one of them awake.

"Hey. You speak Common?"

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Re: Barran's quick appearing healing potion: Listen, I'm not going to go back and check to see if you bought a potion or not. I will trust that you did, and we are all good. And if you did not, then I will put my faith in Geth to beat you down like the lying little thief that you are. :biggrin:

The struck goblin yelps Barran's boot lands between a couple of ribs and shakes his head as he comes out of his grogginess. A few more barks and his partner comes to as well. They take in their situation and realize the position they are in.

"No?" the first goblin responds.

Stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 19/27, Spells:-/2,

Goblin (3) - AC: 15, HP: 7, Nimble Escape, Restrained
    Goblin (4) - AC: 15, HP: 7, Nimble Escape, Restrained

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Barran crouches over one of the bound goblins.

"I am not happy," he begins. "Somebody tried to stab me, and ruined my lucky shirt. And then I woke up on the floor with drool on my face."

"He," he says, pointing to Ay, "isn't happy. There are fireballs whizzing about willy-nilly and that makes him nervous. And when he's nervous, he tends to get it out of his system by making sure people around him can't make any sudden moves, if you get my drift."

"That one," he continues, pointing at Dural, "isn't happy. He's been missing with that hammer of his all day, but the two of you here on the floor are such a tempting target and we're talking to you instead of grinding your bones into the flagstones."

"The big guy," he points at Philo, "doesn't seem all that upset, considering. But we've just been through a bit of violence, which is relaxing when you've been creeping around in the dark for days like we have."

"And he," he indicates Salazar, still chewing jerky with a faraway look in his eye, "does look kind of happy, which, if I'm being honest, scares me a little but should absolutely scare the seven hells out of you because I've seen what we've done to the others we've tried to take prisoner down here. Do you see any prisoners with us? No? Yeah."

"Now. The reason we're bothering to keep you alive at all is because he" -- another gesture towards Salazar -- "thinks you're more useful to us alive than dead. Were I you, I'd endeavor to keep that favorable opinion going. So thank the nice man and start sharing what you think you know about Zarr and what's going on in here. A word of warning: I personally don't trust you farther than I would have to reach to stab you, and oh look I'm already holding a knife."

"Oh, yeah." He pulls out the crystal rod. "I'm not entirely certain who made this or how it works, but I'm reasonably sure that it'll seal you into a little ball for eternity if I want it to. I haven't tried it out yet."

He turns back toward the others.
    "Ask away, gents."

Geth, roll 1d20 for Intimidation

Intimidation:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Silly Geth! Halflings don't roll 1s right off the bat. Not after a speech like that!
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Lucky Intimidation

Lucky Intimidation:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Here, you can borrow one of our nat 20 out of combat rolls from before for that skill check.

Characters