As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Nyarghh only a week until the Switch releases and still no MH info :'(

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Even if they're working on a switch MH5, we won't hear about it until E3 at the very earliest. They want Japan to buy XX first.

Honestly at this point I bet Capcom is waiting to see how well the Switch does, and if it doesn't start hot in Japan they're probably going to have to seriously consider what console they want to put MH out on.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    @Vyolynce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss011L_pBOA

What's that you say? DBs needed an offensive parry/sharpness regaining move? Brave style is looking to be bananas for all weapons. Hammer and GL are looking to be especially fun.

Yeah I saw that but I fear I've become too addicted to flying around.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rrhzau6gc

Executive summary:
    GaijinHunter is bad at Gunlance.
    Guard point reloads in Brave Style.
    Brave Cancel shots build a ton of gauge.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Even if they're working on a switch MH5, we won't hear about it until E3 at the very earliest. They want Japan to buy XX first.

Honestly at this point I bet Capcom is waiting to see how well the Switch does, and if it doesn't start hot in Japan they're probably going to have to seriously consider what console they want to put MH out on.

I do not belive there is much of a choice for them. Just knowing how unpopular non portable systems are in Japan.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Brave style looks fucking insane for, like, every weapon, and it's getting to the point where I'm genuinely concerned. Unless the other styles have received significant changes, I don't see any reason to not go brave.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Bug-style!

• Options
    Brave IG looks super fun, yeah. I remember awkwardly trying to use Striker style's ability to combo while holding a bug charge to weave in charged bugs, but Brave does that shit for free.

• Options
    Mother of fucking god.

https://youtu.be/OJ0nO0KpaxU

That gauge gain. Those attack chains. Fuck me.

• Options
    Uh-oh. Saw people saying Alchemy-SnS is basically Striker-SnS, but also Alchemy because fuck you.

I'm guessing move-values are lower, though.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The cats all look pretty ballin'. Just increasing the rate for the gauge to build up probably would have been enough, but the other stuff for each of the different types is pretty cool. Now we just need a release date >.> Hopefully we don't get screwed and they decide that the 3ds is dead in NA because of the switch. I mean I also wish that Capcom would release whatever the next mainline game is for the ps4, because I emphatically do not want a switch. But that is probably never going to happen. FF7 remake + online twin joystick monster hunter on the same console would just be way too convenient.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Hopefully we don't get screwed and they decide that the 3ds is dead in NA because of the switch.

This is what terrifies me.

• Options
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The fuck. Is that...

I don't...

I want that things armor already.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...who thought that bringing Lao-Shan back was a good idea? Lao Shan was never fun!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...who thought that bringing Lao-Shan back was a good idea? Lao Shan was never fun!

The same person who thought that bringing Blangonga back was a good idea?

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So along with Basarios and Gravios, Conga and the MH2 Jungle are back for XX, having skipped Generations. Wonder what this incarnation of the 2nd generation Jungle will be called, Rainforest, perhaps? We can expect all our old friends to show up there: Velocidrome, Great Fango, Kut-Ku, Garuga, Rathian, Daimyo, Plesioth, even Kirin, Kusha, and Chameleos.

Edit: Looks like Seltas has been spotted there in XX.

Every stage originating in Dos is now back, counting Tower 3 as Tower in general. Ruined Ridge is also very much a sort of Tower 1/2 re-envisioning.

Lao Shan Lung is also back, in a re-designed quest where it seems you actually fight each other to some degree.

They finally used that mechanical wyvern idea from the very first art book. The look is different, but the name goes right along with the concept's description, a weapon to fight wyverns on equal terms.

The only Gen 1 & 2 monsters we haven't seen in XX are:
    Vespoid Queen
    King Shakalaka
    Lunastra
    Yama Tsukami
    Fatalis

For Gen 3, Barroth and Barioth are both back in XX, meaning the only monsters not seen yet are:
    Great Jaggi, Wroggi, & Baggi
    Qurupeco
    Giginox
    Gobul
    Ceadeus
    Jhen Mohran
    Dah'ren Mohran
    Dire Miralis

The super-giants are obviously not coming back, but Gobul could be made to work if they bothered. It can be the Nibelsnarf of Marshlands; maybe hang out where Plesi does in the 2nd gen Jungle.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    So, Blangonga & MH2 Jungle are back, Lao Shan Lung is back in a re-designed quest where you actually fight each other to some degree, and they finally used that mechanical wyvern idea from the very first art book.

Blangonga was in the non-G version. Barioth is new to this, though, which is great.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    So, Blangonga & MH2 Jungle are back, Lao Shan Lung is back in a re-designed quest where you actually fight each other to some degree, and they finally used that mechanical wyvern idea from the very first art book.

Blangonga was in the non-G version. Barioth is new to this, though, which is great.

I always felt like Barioth was a discount Nargacuga.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

They have similar feline-inspired frames but very different mannerisms. I don't see why they can't coexist.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

They have similar feline-inspired frames but very different mannerisms. I don't see why they can't coexist.

They can. I just prefer one over the other as a matter of personal taste.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    If this game has six effing gravios keys I am done.

I want to have fun in this game, and endless recycled gen1 shit is very much not. ):

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I grew to really enjoy fighting Gravios in MH4. Sidehopping through lasers with an LBG while pelting it with watery doom was super fun.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I grew to really enjoy fighting Gravios in MH4. Sidehopping through lasers with an LBG while pelting it with watery doom was super fun.

I used an IG and had no particular issues with it. Now that Aerial style exists, the other weapons should be able to pull off the same thing.

• Options

I used an IG and had no particular issues with it. Now that Aerial style exists, the other weapons should be able to pull off the same thing.

Should. As someone who is basically exclusively Aerial in Gen, I can promise you that it isn't always as easy to vault as using an IG.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Theres very few monsters i dont enjoy fighting in MH

gimme more more more

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I think Jhen and D'hren are the only ones I don't like and it's just because the scripting is set so you spend a lot of time just standing around.

• Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about Lavasioth. It's just kind of there, doing things that were done a bajillion times better by Agnaktor.

• Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about Lavasioth. It's just kind of there, doing things that were done a bajillion times better by Agnaktor.

You can find/replace "Cephadrome" and "Nibelsnarf" into those sentences pretty easily too.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Brave IG looks super fun, yeah. I remember awkwardly trying to use Striker style's ability to combo while holding a bug charge to weave in charged bugs, but Brave does that shit for free.

Wait, what does brave bug do????

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The thing that's going to bother me most is that the MH2 battle tracks aren't coming back.

The tracks from MH Frontier reused in MHFU seem to be the de facto battle themes for those stages now.

I wish I at least knew why (other than Arctic Ridge containing a Steamboy ripoff, that one I do get). One track is not an entire 4-disc soundtrack. The new tracks don't even match thematically with the intro scenes for the stages. Heck, the Steamboy ripoff battle track for Arctic Ridge is also the basis for Kushala Daora's theme, and it's not gone!

IceBurner on
  • Options
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »
    whoa holy shit that bravebug

Yup. MHXX is amazing.

... For Japan.

• Options
    Just noticed, Nerscylla is back too. Hooray for good sleep weapons.
    Too bad there's been no Gobul sightings. Really preferred those to Najarala's, stats-wise.

Wow, Barioth gets a ton of time in the opening render, and it's clearly got the twister-surfing moves from Sand Barioth. They showcase a lot of the new styles (including for Prowlers) as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXMUVd9sYw

Also found a translation of what transfers from X to XX when importing your save:
    • Your original save for MHX remains untouched.
    • Story progress & story quests cleared fully retained.
    • Hunter Rank retained up to HR8 maximum. Rank points will reset to "a fixed value" (likely the baseline for the rank you keep).
    • All non-DLC, Guild quest progress/clear status is fully retained.
    • Some DLC quests, DLC titles, and DLC guild card backgrounds are returning to download after release.
    • Unlocked Guild Card titles from Hunter Rank are retained.
    • All weapons, armor, items, zenny, and saved sets are fully retained, however equipment stats may differ.
    • The upgrade level of armor is fully retained.
    • You're given a 1-time chance to change your hunter's name and appearance upon transfer, including gender.
    • Upon swapping gender, gendered armor will be converted to its counterpart (Guild Bard <-> Guild Maiden, etc.), provided one exists.
    • Gendered armor with no counterpart will be sold for Zenny.
    • Decorations on all gendered armors are placed in your item box. If your box is full, decorations which don't fit will be sold for Zenny.
    • Prowlers/Palicos you've recruited are fully retained, however their stats may differ.
    • All Prowler training in-progress when you import will auto-complete, and the Prowlers will be removed from the dojo.
    • Contents of the Courier's streetpass inbox will not be retained.
    • Meowster Hunter, Hunters for Hire, Trade Requests, and Maximeld requests will not be retained. Any such requests in progress are cancelled without refund.
    • Your Guild card's social data (registered armor, unity points, etc.) will not be retained.
    • The item combo list's order, prowler scouting preferences, and player block list will not be retained.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    a summer release in NA would be nice

im thinking

june

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    That last post was actually a saved draft from a few days ago.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

They can. I just prefer one over the other as a matter of personal taste.

I like fighting Narga more than Bari, but I prefer Bari's armors aestheticallly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »

I'm wondering how it compares to the usual bugspam. Does it just trigger normal bug commands at the same time as attacks?

It's weird how his tutorial for Generations didn't even acknowledge the ability to redirect the bug while it's out. It makes using pheromones more appealing, since you can use it to keep repeatedly hitting the same enemy over and over from a variety of angles without needing to worry about actually aiming.

• Options
    God I didn't even think about pheromone marking combined with that. Mark the monster's head, use a blunt bug, KO that motherfucker.