As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ay yo its a [chat] thread

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Also Italian a beautiful language lollllll

Resquiat in pace...

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Peripherally I do think you're BC about 100% of the time now, 21st

So overall improvement.

At what cost

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Can we do a chat about the spinning vowels gif?

Because that never gets old.

I'm being serious. I laff every tiem

[chat] is doing what to vowels?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Peripherally I do think you're BC about 100% of the time now, 21st

So overall improvement.

for BC or for you

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    True or False:
    I should attach a GoPro to my dog and play frisbees

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    @Hakkekage to answer your thing from the previous thread: Miyazaki is great (but he ain't anime)

GASP

I'm gonna need a 100 page essay explaining this, yesterday

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    True or False:

Yes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    gooey I think 9 dogs is a bit much in this day and age. you're not a farmer.

I don't understand

there are 9 dogs in that pic

Yeah

what are you, Catholic?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    How dare you gooby not have a chat about Star Trek's 50th anniversary.
    How
    Dare
    You

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    True or False:

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    @Hakkekage to answer your thing from the previous thread: Miyazaki is great (but he ain't anime)

GASP

Miyazaki is anime.

And Spirited Away was amazing. One of Ghibli's best IMO. Right up there with Nausicaa and Kiki's.

• Options
    vowels is PA D&D's own personally meme

• Options
    Better?

This is like the ITT Tech solution of changing avatars.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    gAi6k3i.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Better?

What do you want from me, damn it.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

oh god this is basically my company logo

• Options
    our marketing staff spent weeks on that shit

• Options
    Better?

cImwBrel.jpg

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

GASP

Simon is saying Miyazaki's not anime because everyone likes him so Simon wants to give Miyazaki a pass.

• Options
    our marketing staff spent weeks on that shit

After a lifetime of watching my father (on the sales side of marketing) fight near-daily with the creative teams

I am zero percent surprised

• Options
    jesus fucking christ bowen no shock images please

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage to answer your thing from the previous thread: Miyazaki is great (but he ain't anime)

GASP

it's a very pedantic and academic distinction, but: Miyazaki doesn't view his work (and that of Ghibli in general) as being "anime" due to what he (and many animation scholars) recognises as a number of key differences between the technological/narrative/visual elements of full animation (with a more filmic fluidity and/or aesthetic of movement) and limited animation (which is what most TV anime is made as). Miyazaki/Ghibli specifically refer to their output as manga eiga, or film manga, in recognition of this.

this has, of course, been changing in the past decade or so as technological advancements have been made which allows TV anime to emulate many of the qualities that were previously the domain of higher budget full animation productions; however, from my perspective there is enough of a difference between the aesthetic and narrative styles of the full and limited traditions of Japanese animation to necessitate a distinction in terminology

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the human body

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

poo
  • Options
    Better?

cImwBrel.jpg

i don't understand this.

are you gloating?

• Options
    Hakkekage to answer your thing from the previous thread: Miyazaki is great (but he ain't anime)

GASP

it's a very pedantic and academic distinction, but: Miyazaki doesn't view his work (and that of Ghibli in general) as being "anime" due to what he (and many animation scholars) recognises as a number of key differences between the technological/narrative/visual elements of full animation (with a more filmic fluidity and/or aesthetic of movement) and limited animation (which is what most TV anime is made as). Miyazaki/Ghibli specifically refer to their output as manga eiga, or film manga, in recognition of this.

this has, of course, been changing in the past decade or so as technological advancements have been made which allows TV anime to emulate many of the qualities that were previously the domain of higher budget full animation productions; however, from my perspective there is enough of a difference between the aesthetic and narrative styles of the full and limited traditions of Japanese animation to necessitate a distinction in terminology

you're right, this is a very pedantic and academic distinction

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    How dare you gooby not have a chat about Star Trek's 50th anniversary.
    How
    Dare
    You

The most recent one was pretty good I guess

I'm really excited to see Luke skywalker in the next one

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I can understand why Miyazaki doesn't want to be lumped in with mainstream anime, but it's kind of like saying that because a hypothetical show is a 7 episode single-plot story, it's not western TV, because it doesn't feature an episode-of-the-week format, a myth arc and on-off entangled character romances.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    shkreli.jpg is the new trollface.jpg?

fair I guess

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230

Pretty incredible collection of interviews of everyone who was on Air Force One on 9/11.

And some levity.
    Col. Dr. Richard Tubb: As we’re coming in on final [approach], Dan Bartlett comes into my office and says, “Thanks, I took all those pills. Anything else I need?” I said, “What?! Absolutely not! That was supposed to be a week’s worth!” I’m flipping through the Physician’s Desk Reference, that huge book, trying to figure out what the toxic level of Cipro is.

Brian Montgomery: [Dan] was real worried for a moment. After all that happened that day, Dan was going to die from Cipro poisoning.

Col. Dr. Richard Tubb: I looked into it and told him, “Listen, you’re going to be fine. You might want to take an antacid.”

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    @Orphane real fighting games only you can't trick me into going back into DFO i'm out of shawshank

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Now, I'm not usually one to judge other people on their InfoSec

But there is a pad of paper on the middle of the kitchen counter with what appears to be the PIN for a debit card written on it

I don't know which of my siblings to eye disappointingly when they walk through the door later today, so I'll err on the side of caution and do both

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i woke up to a "u up" text i got at 1 am

what is the saddest thing

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I can understand why Miyazaki doesn't want to be lumped in with mainstream anime, but it's kind of like saying that because a hypothetical show is a 7 episode single-plot story, it's not western TV, because it doesn't feature an episode-of-the-week format, a myth arc and on-off entangled character romances.

Not really! But I have zero interest in getting into this!

• Options

GASP

miyazaki is better than anime

poo
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Found out my terrible boss is getting transferred elsewhere, but as a lovely parting gift on his last day today he just informed me that he didn't schedule me the three days off I requested next weekend to attend a wedding. I'm so fucking done with, just, I don't know, everything.

• Options
    100 words
    not pages

poo
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i woke up to a "u up" text i got at 1 am

what is the saddest thing

is she hot

is she not your crazy ex

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230

Pretty incredible collection of interviews of everyone who was on Air Force One on 9/11.

And some levity.
    Col. Dr. Richard Tubb: As we’re coming in on final [approach], Dan Bartlett comes into my office and says, “Thanks, I took all those pills. Anything else I need?” I said, “What?! Absolutely not! That was supposed to be a week’s worth!” I’m flipping through the Physician’s Desk Reference, that huge book, trying to figure out what the toxic level of Cipro is.

Brian Montgomery: [Dan] was real worried for a moment. After all that happened that day, Dan was going to die from Cipro poisoning.

Col. Dr. Richard Tubb: I looked into it and told him, “Listen, you’re going to be fine. You might want to take an antacid.”

Bartlett makes me think this guy is on Air Force One

Josiah_Bartlett_with_chair.jpg

This discussion has been closed.