As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First [Presidential Debate] Monday Sept 26, 9 PM EST at Hostra University

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Actually, did Benghazi even get a single mention, period? I don't recall any. Maybe he got flustered and forgot.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, I used to watch nature shows with my grandpa. One that scarred me for life involved a kangaroo baiting a dingo into the river and drowning it.

This debate gave me flashbacks.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    You cant win over Trump's base, but you can depress it into showing up to vote at a slightly lower rate. Every bit helps.

Funny, I usually see a lot of bitching against voter suppression around here.

I don't think Ink is using depress in that manner. He is suggesting that if you make trumps base depressed they will not vote as hard. Its part of the standard repertoire

I know, and it's that casualness that I find insulting.

And to everyone talking about the definition of voter suppression: no shit. You know damn well I'm talking about the hypocrisy shown of late on the forums and not election politics.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    "Birtherism is racist."
    "No, it's crazy. I mean, there were accusations Chester A Arthur was born in Canada."

Literally what the fuck, guy.

I think his point was, the act of challenging someones birth isn't inherently racist.

Not that the Obama thing wasn't specifically racist. Basically, just because some people are basing their argument on that principle, doesn't mean everyone involved is.

I mean, I would still distance myself from those other people on principle, but the KKK stating "Gravity is a fact!" doesn't mean I am going to suddenly call Gravity a myth.

Note:
    Not a birther.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Also, since CNN just replayed it, what WAS that AFL-CIO thing that Trump brought up?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Actually, did Benghazi even get a single mention, period? I don't recall any. Maybe he got flustered and forgot.

It did not. I'm honestly surprised.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

He tangentially mentioned Libya. Didn't even try for Benghazi.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    So! It'll probably have changed completely in... ohhhh an hour or two, but right now the Trump campaign spin - probably grasping at Trump's whiny post-debate comments - is that Trump was "holding back" because he is such a gentleman and vicious Shillary took advantage of his niceness.

Yes, this seems to be an actual thing they're going with.

Meanwhile, I cannot wait for Trump to get his hands on his phone and start his inevitable Twitter rant.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    At this point in the evening, my main takeaway is that my five year old seems to have learned the f-word permanently

mrpaku on
  • Options
    CNN

"Part of debate prep should've been to not get testy about your temperament."

No shit.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

He tangentially mentioned Libya. Didn't even try for Benghazi.

Which raises the questions, does he know where Benghazi is? Does he or his supporters think it's its own country? I need a pollster

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So how yuge was Trump's victory in the debates tonight? I couldn't bear to watch.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Trump saying he wished he brought up Monica Lewinsky.

I hope he does in the next one - I am fairly certain, based on tonight, that Clinton has a devastating comeback ready that makes him look like a bullying asshole. Then he'll double down, come out with something truly nasty ("Maybe if you looked like one of my wives he wouldn't have had to fool around") and hey presto - another sound bite for the next ad aimed at women voters.

"Have you ever been cheated on ? Donald says it was because you're not attractive enough !" Play clip.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    He's saying that the thing he "held back on" was Bill's...dalliances. So that's coming out in the next one.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    So how yuge was Trump's victory in the debates tonight? I couldn't bear to watch.

He did okayish in the first 20 minutes, mostly because she has no good answer to NAFTA, but he took the bait on fucking everything she laid out and was totally incoherent for the most part and clearly pissed off about a lot of things and ridiculously unprepared.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

The yugest.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So is https://www.hillaryclinton.com/donate/ the actual correct URL to donate with?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    At this point in the evening, my main takeaway is that my five year old seems to have learned that f-word permanently

what took so long?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I was very impressed with Clinton's restraint not to march across the stage and kick Trump in the fucking teeth.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If someone doesn't take advantage of the sniffing as "smelling toast" I have will lose all faith in the internet.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Eye of the beholder really.

Clinton was far more competent, but I don't know how much that means in this election. If there are any people left in the middle to grab, I'd say she did better.

But it seems like a lot of people are already entrenched on their 'side' to the point of mania, so not sure how much are even up for grabs.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Trump saying he wished he brought up Monica Lewinsky.

I hope he does in the next one - I am fairly certain, based on tonight, that Clinton has a devastating comeback ready that makes him look like a bullying asshole. Then he'll double down, come out with something truly nasty ("Maybe if you looked like one of my wives he wouldn't have had to fool around") and hey presto - another sound bite for the next ad aimed at women voters.

"Have you ever been cheated on ? Donald says it was because you're not attractive enough !" Play clip.

i don't hope that he does, because Hillary has more than enough of this shit heaped on her over the years. but i wont be surprised if he does and i'm sure she'll have a come back for it.

• Options
    CNN's undecided Florida 20 people has Clinton winning 18-2.

"Measured", "knowledgable", "prepared", etc.

One of the guys who said he won says that "Clinton didn't answer any of the questions he had about her, not that Trump 'won.'"

Ringing endorsement if ever there was one.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Eye of the beholder really.

Clinton was far more competent, but I don't know how much that means in this election. If there are any people left in the middle to grab, I'd say she did better.

But it seems like a lot of people are already entrenched on their 'side' to the point of mania, so not sure how much are even up for grabs.

Did I miss the memo on who became the new forum contrarian? The "middle to grab" is a huge portion of the undecided voting bloc. They also happen to be the group who tend to not decide until debate time.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    CNN FL undecideds are idiots.

"I'm disappointed because they didn't answer questions that weren't put to them re:Healthcare costs and campaign finance reform."

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

i'm sure there will soon be a clip of him saying "I never settle" followed immediately by that line from the dabate, out soon. maybe a longer ad with a series of his contradictory statements.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    CNN's undecided Florida 20 people has Clinton winning 18-2.

"Measured", "knowledgable", "prepared", etc.

One of the guys who said he won says that "Clinton didn't answer any of the questions he had about her, not that Trump 'won.'"

Ringing endorsement if ever there was one.

CBS undecided in PA 18-5
    edit

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Are there going to be any debates with 3rd party candidates included?

• Options
    Oof. They were NOT happy when Trump talked about how awesome his temperament is.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

That requires 15% of the vote in polling, so no.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Trump did an absolutely masterful job of helping Clinton destroy him.

Seriously, the whole thing was pretty funny. You should give it a watch.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Okay so I'm pretty drunk. I had to pause the licestrean twice to go hurl so I'm probably behind. I don't drink much typically. But. That was like, 90 minutes of Trump interrupting a woman. And sounding like an ass hole. But mostly the interrupting. He's got the crazy percent locked up because they like ass holes sure but I think about my mom. And I look at the polls and it seems like but he gets over the top if and only if he wins over people like my mom. And my mom, I know my mom, you can tell her whatever she wants to hear about the scary brown people but God help you of you talk over her. She hates that more than anything. And Trump just talked over someone kinda sorta like my mom for 90 minutes. It's a bad look, the worst look, believe me.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

most likely not as they generally need more than 15% of the vote in five states i think it is

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    At this point in the evening, my main takeaway is that my five year old seems to have learned the f-word permanently
    Fiduciary? I'm sorry.

• Options
    "I'd like to think Trump won the debate because it'll bring a change and everything's so political. We need to get away from politics when running a country."

Undecideds are so bad.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Watching bits of this and reading commentary on it the impression I got is what I (and others) were talking about back in the Election thread: Trump has no discipline.

I think his best hit was probably NAFTA because Clinton has no real ability to deal with that question considering the difference between it's perception and it's reality. But soon enough she managed to get him a bit riled and just in general he can't keep himself stable for that long and he just started coming unravelled.

But the thing that's gonna kill him, not people's perceptions of him but him personally, the thing that's gonna stick in his stupid orange fucking craw is that they laughed at him. I think he's gonna go nuts tonight. If not, then tomorrow. That was the best moment of the night. They just laughed at him and he can't take it and I think he's gonna fucking lose it.

Yeah pretty much:

https://youtu.be/Y7c5Fu6PNJE?t=45

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options

nope. neither is anywhere close to the 15% polling level required to get into the debate. Johnstone is closest with around 7% i believe. i think Stein is sub-1%.

This discussion has been closed.