As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Simpsons] did it first. A love thread to Thrillho

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Going off of Amazon right now, if I wanted seasons 1 through 9, that would cost me...

Around $155, which isn't too shabby for nine years of great television.

That's something like $0.70/episode or $0.03/minute of entertainment.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Thinking about the legacy of the Simpsons is really bizarre to me because when someone asks me what my favorite TV shows are, The Simpsons always springs to mind, despite the fact that I'm really only thinking of about 8 years of The Simpsons and not the 20 years that have been forgettable garbage.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Going off of Amazon right now, if I wanted seasons 1 through 9, that would cost me...

Around $155, which isn't too shabby for nine years of great television.

That's something like $0.70/episode or $0.03/minute of entertainment.

At 203 minutes it'll come to around $1.30 for each episode.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the Simpsons since season 13, but I will be heartbroken one year when it's no longer being made.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I haven't watched the Simpsons since season 13, but I will be heartbroken one year when it's no longer being made.

There will be books and research papers for decades about the SImpsons.

The tell all books about the Reign of Al Jean alone is gonna be a hell of a read

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i hope the simpsons goes long enough to make sure south park doesn't pass it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ah Stonecutters, hurray for Patrick Stewart guest star.

Homer: Oh, okay, have it your own way, Marge. I'll be back in a minute. I'm... going outside to... stalk... Lenny and Carl... D'oh!

Who controls the British crown?
    Who keeps the metric system down?
    We do, we do!
    Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
    Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
    We do, we do!
    Who holds back the electric car?
    Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
    We do, we do!
    Who robs cavefish of their sight?
    Who rigs every Oscar night?
    We do!
    We do!!!

"Now let's all get drunk and play ping-pong!"

I created a free company in FFXIV called the Stonecutters

The tag is "We Do"

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Discovering this thread has made my day so much better. It's a miracle!

No, ultrasuede is a miracle. This is just good timing.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The Fighting Hellfish episode was great

In fact, Grandpa Simpson is great all around.

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!"

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i own seasons 2 - 12 of simpsons on dvd

they are guaranteed happiness in a box

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So far Lionel Hutz is definitely my favorite recurring ancillary character

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    And I tied an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Lionel Hutz is a good lawyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT-AvswCZo

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh we did get a decent quote from Mr.Burns this week
    "There's no room in my show for Adolf Sax's vile sounding Ophone!"

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love the tie scene with Hutz and Apu

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ha, I never noticed what the jury looked like in that bit before.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    One of my stepbrothers did a sociology paper in college on the Simpsons, about Homer Simpson as an overall positive example of fatherhood. As I recall, he went through however many seasons there were at the time and ranked incidents of Homer interacting with his kids in the following ways:

1) Homer interacts with his kids in a positive way, despite temptation to do otherwise that appeals specifically to one of his demonstrated vices.
    2) Homer interacts with his kids in a positive way, when there is no obvious pressure to do otherwise.
    3) Homer interacts with his kids in a neutral or ambiguous way. All examples of Homer trying to do a good thing, but being sabotaged by lack of intellect rather than lack of willpower fit here.
    4) Homer interacts with his kids in a negative way, but not one that is driven by one of his vices.
    5) Homer interacts with his kids in a negative way, sabotaged specifically by one of his vices.

These were calculated by the scene, with a higher weight given to scenes that ended specific plots for the episode. So if Homer was shitty to his kids for a whole episode but turned it around in the final scene, it might be a wash, depending on whether it was the A plot or B plot and how intricate it was. As I recall, 1 was the most common, followed closely by 3, and then 5. 2 and 4 were both rare, because Homer's vices are so severe. So Homer overall comes out ahead as a dad.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    One of my stepbrothers did a sociology paper in college on the Simpsons, about Homer Simpson as an overall positive example of fatherhood. As I recall, he went through however many seasons there were at the time and ranked incidents of Homer interacting with his kids in the following ways:

1) Homer interacts with his kids in a positive way, despite temptation to do otherwise that appeals specifically to one of his demonstrated vices.
    2) Homer interacts with his kids in a positive way, when there is no obvious pressure to do otherwise.
    3) Homer interacts with his kids in a neutral or ambiguous way. All examples of Homer trying to do a good thing, but being sabotaged by lack of intellect rather than lack of willpower fit here.
    4) Homer interacts with his kids in a negative way, but not one that is driven by one of his vices.
    5) Homer interacts with his kids in a negative way, sabotaged specifically by one of his vices.

These were calculated by the scene, with a higher weight given to scenes that ended specific plots for the episode. So if Homer was shitty to his kids for a whole episode but turned it around in the final scene, it might be a wash, depending on whether it was the A plot or B plot and how intricate it was. As I recall, 1 was the most common, followed closely by 3, and then 5. 2 and 4 were both rare, because Homer's vices are so severe. So Homer overall comes out ahead as a dad.

He does choke his son on a disturbingly regular basis.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    a poignant comic by steven universe's rebecca sugar

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ZsACh

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i hope the simpsons goes long enough to make sure south park doesn't pass it

Lol south park.

At this rate the only thing racing Simpson's is the heat death of the universe

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

This is like a battered partner saying when they aren't being beaten the relationship is really good and still worthwhile. Choking someone once is one too many.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Back to the funny, whenever something good happens, I without fail say "Everything's coming up Milhouse!"

I also always wrote down milk on grocery lists as Malk.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My ankles are soaked, but my cuffs are bone dry!

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If you really equate a cartoon violence gag with no in-universe consequences to speak of to an instance of real-world physical abuse... then yeah, I would agree with you that the character is irredeemably vile.

You know what else? That fuckin roadrunner is worse than Hitler.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    You know if you strip out the lentil soup recipe, that could almost be a Bowie song.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hey! He lied to us through song! I hate when people do that!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    In terms the pre-story before they get to the main one.

I think bear patrol is my favourite.

That's like saying this rock here repels tigers.

Really? I'll buy it off you!

No dad, thats not the...

Twenty dollars!

Eh, ok.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    A BEE BIT MY BOTTOM!

NOW MY BOTTOM'S BIG! D:

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    i call dibs on the flintstones phone!

yabba dabba doo! i like talking to you!

huh huh huh

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I've only seen a bit of the good Simpsons I think.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    Milhouse, I found a hive of killer bees; you wanna go throw rocks at it?
    Sorry, Bart, I'm deeply immersed in the Teapot Dome scandal.
    Huh?
    However, it might be feasible in a fortnight.
    Wha?
    I can play in two weeks.
    Juh?

That's it - I can't take this anymore, Milhouse, I've got to get the real teachers back.
    Bart, you'll never get Krabappel and Skinner together again. They're like two positively charged ions.
    Zuh?

Additionally

Take care, snake. May the next time we meet be under more felicitous circumstances.
    Guh?
    Take care.
    Buh.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    the first time I saw the Australia episode I'd only lived in Aus for a year and me and family didn't find it funny at all

the next time we saw it we'd lived in Aus for about four years and we laughed until we literally could not sit up straight

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Leader

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "Now pair off as I draw your names. Lenny and.... Carl!"
    "Aww nuts! I mean, um... aww nuts!"

edit: also

LENNY = WHITE
    CARL = BLACK

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I cannot comprehend not really watching the Simpsons

This show is a holy tome to me and my family, we've seen every episode of the first 8 seasons at least 10 times each

I know these episodes better than I know the Bible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I cannot comprehend not really watching the Simpsons

This show is a holy tome to me and my family, we've seen every episode of the first 8 seasons at least 10 times each

I know these episodes better than I know the Bible

well that's not hard. I mean, talk about a preachy book. Everyone's a sinner! ...except this guy.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about another so called wicked guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas, and he didn't always do what other people thought was right. That man's name was...

I forget. But the point is...

I forget that, too.

Marge, you know who I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png