Options

I'm about to lose my cat

Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night, in the span of five minutes, Mr. Kitty was fine. (she is female) She is one of my 4 cats and I had just picked her up and placed her by a food bowl to finish eating it. I noticed she couldn;t move one of her hind legs and was a bit incontinent. She didn't seem to be in any pain but I rushed her to the emergency vet. Several hundred dollars later, leaving me with less than $50 in the bank I was able to pay with the help of a friend for them to watch her overnight.

I understand it's a common thing, saddle thrombosis most likely. The good news was that she wan't in pain and her feet were warm. I just got a call from the doctor just now, she is starting to exhibit some signs of pain, though seems happy on pain meds, purring but not eating. It will cost thousands more dollars for CT scan, spinal tap etc to figure out what it is and I literally cannot afford it. Could be cancer, heart disease, lymphoma something else. In the end I literally cannot afford another dollar for her care, so I will let her stay there one more night and I will have to take her to our regular vet tomorrow to be put to sleep. Typing this is killing me. She is the cat that loved me the most, that came when I called, slept on top of me or beside me, and was there for me for the last 10 or so years since she came into my life. I want to die right now. I want to take her home now and sleep one last night with her but i know thats just me BEING SELFISH, and she is comfortable where she is right now and it's not right for me to cause her any pain just so I can assuage my selfishness. I want to just bring her home and see what happens but if it will bring her more pain and she will never regain her use of her legs and her quality of life it's just me being selfish again. I just want her to be happy and not be in pain so I guess I only have one last thing I can do for her.

She will be the first cat that I have lost in the 39 years of my life, I became a cat owner relatively late in life. Now I have four, and they all love me, and they call give me kisses and rubbies but Mr Kitty loved me most of all. She had the softest fur and I dont even have a ton of photos of her because I thought we wouldn;t be here for years and years, yet it changed in five minutes.

I don't know what i'm trying to accomplish here but I am alone right now and I want there to be a place somewhere on the internet that says her name and shows her face so she will be not forgotten. I'm just trying to unburden myself and I'm so sorry about all this and I despise that cannot literally pay any more money to keep her any longer. I hate that I'm not rich and that I canot do anything else for her, who has made me feel loved and happy for so many years of my life.

I love her so much. Thank you for everything Mr. Kitty.

She's the black cat.

n9JHMFA.jpg

BKJDBn8.jpg

YLtMAhW.jpg

YjxZ9j9.jpg

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
Hiryu02 on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry. I've lost two cats, and I understand what you are going through. Pets are better than humans, sometimes. Humans will let you down. Pets love you forever, and they always have your back.

She is the best cat, and you love her. She was loved all of her life, and she loved you. That is enough for any life.

Again, I am so sorry.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that @Hiryu02 .
    My brother had to put our dog down last month for assorted medical reasons, and it sucks losing a pet. There's no way around that.
    I wish there was anything I could say that would help, in part so I could say it to help you, in part so someone could have said it to me.

Best I can do is ask you to take solace in the fact that you gave her a good life, and didn't extend her suffering so you could feel better.
    But I know from experience that those words don't help much.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I'm very sorry to read about your loss. Godspeed, Mr. Kitty, and farewell.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that @Hiryu02 .

Best I can do is ask you to take solace in the fact that you gave her a good life, and didn't extend her suffering so you could feel better.

Thank you. This is what I keep telling myself and keep wanting to believe, that her life was better because of me. Even if only for the time we were together.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I didn't think it would hurt this much. I never expected to be here so soon, it feels like yesterday was when we found her. I try to tell myself, it's nothing that I did or could have done, to my understanding these things like heart disease tend to be genetic in cats, and there isn't anything more to it.

Which is so sad, and all I can do is hope I made her happy and make her transition easier. It's just such a terrible thing, to know you cannot do anything more because of a fucking thing like money, and even if you have the money, there is no guarantee that she would get better, just that you would know exactly what it was that was causing her pain. Which is small comfort.

I want to say, let me take her home, let me have her for as long as she holds out, but she can't talk, she can't tell me that she wants that or that she doesn't want that. She can't tell me how she feels. I just have to decide, that this is all the time she gets. It's so heavy and I don't know that this is the right decision, could be a miracle and I'll never know. But I know that she may simply never have the life she once did, and so it's better this way? But no matter what I do it just doesn't seem like it's ever going to be the right decision. The only humane thing to do is not let her suffer any more.

Thanks again guys. Thanks so much I cannot describe.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    As someone who has had cats for all my 39 years of life, I'm sorry. I know how it feels, and it never really gets any easier.

My parents had a cat named Milo who I liked a lot. About 2 years ago he had some urinary issues where they ended up taking him to the emergency vet. They're relatively well off and spent a small fortune on keeping him there, and then putting him through surgery. Ultimately, it was all for nothing and they had to put him to sleep a few weeks later. Please don't beat yourself up about not being able to afford more care for her; even thousands of dollars couldn't save poor Milo.

My wife and I had to put our cat Pumpkin to sleep last year, and that was heartwrenching. Pumpkin was my wife's first cat. We don't definitively know what she had, but she had dropped from 8 pounds to under 4 in the span of a few months and went to the bathroom several times on the carpet. She had stopped eating. We couldn't afford to diagnose her further, and we knew we couldn't afford to treat whatever it was, which was probably cancer. Bringing her to the vet and being there for her as they euthanized her was the best we could do.

Hang in there. It's probably going to be pretty rough for a few days afterward. And thinking about it will still hurt later on; my eyes are welling up as I type this. With time it gets better, of course, and you'll be able to remember all the awesome times you had with her.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    There is no more wonderful and happy a life than that of a well kept pet. We should all be so lucky as to spend even half our lives in the luxury and happiness of a cat that is obviously totally down with a clothes hamper.

• Options
    Thank you SteevL, dispatch.o

I just have to trust that she is comfortable right now, and it's just one more night, and then I can help her have peace.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry I don't have much to offer you in the way of comfort. Just know that the sadness that you feel means you felt love and were loved in return. And that's a beautiful, wonderful thing that you opened yourself up to, even though it's unbearable right now. Also, you saved a life by taking Mr. Kitty in to begin with. And you gave Mr. Kitty a happy and full life in the time she had on this earth.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Don't beat yourself up about not having the money for the expensive treatments. Most of the time, they don't work and only cause more suffering before the inevitable. My parents always have lots of cats and although they could afford the expensive treatments, when their cats get terminal/severely disabling illnesses they always choose to put the cat to sleep, because they can't stand to let them suffer. Unlike humans, cats can't think "I just need to get through this chemo and I'll be OK" - they only know that they are in pain. I think you are making the right choice even if you were a millionaire.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Don't beat yourself up about not having the money for the expensive treatments. Most of the time, they don't work and only cause more suffering before the inevitable. My parents always have lots of cats and although they could afford the expensive treatments, when their cats get terminal/severely disabling illnesses they always choose to put the cat to sleep, because they can't stand to let them suffer. Unlike humans, cats can't think "I just need to get through this chemo and I'll be OK" - they only know that they are in pain. I think you are making the right choice even if you were a millionaire.

Seconding this. You're not a bad person or a selfish person if you can't afford palliative or terminal care of a pet. People talk a big talk when it comes to "you're a terrible person for not being able to afford this, you shouldn't have had a pet" but when a $1000+ bill comes their way, they do the same thing. I'm hoping that line of thinking was because of stuff you've heard or read or had said to you in the past in regards to decision making around pets, but you're absolutely okay here OP.

Unfortunately pets do not live as long as us, so while you might feel bad that you can't give them everything to make them better after all the happiness they gave you, realize that eventually they will pass too. There's no cosmic balance sheet. You did a great job, and you made them just as happy as they made you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Thanks again to everyone who posted and helped me through this time.

This morning at about 9:19 AM I got the phone call telling me she was gone. I had picked her up from the emergency vet at 7:00 AM, and unfortunately there was no change in the paralysis. She was alert and happy and purring, but she still wasn't eating and of course she was still unable to use the bathroom by herself. She was under pain meds, so hopefully she was in no discomfort until it was over. I brought her to our regular vet and explained the situation and they agreed, it was probably the right thing to do, especially before the painkillers wore off. I think to myself over and over what could have been different or what I could have done and I know logically I did everything I could and even if I could have done or paid more it probably would not have extended her life in a meaningful way or spared her further suffering. I spent a few minutes with her and she didn't want to be in the carrier, and she seemed a bit happy to see me, she purred and let me give her belly rubs, so I did try to have a short last time. The vet said they would call me when it was done, and now her struggle is ended.

So now all that's left is to pay the IOU to the emergency vet for the balance of her care. The plan is to bring her later this week to a ranch owned by a friend of mine, and he's going to help me bury her there. She gave me so much comfort and love in the years we were together, and I can only hope her last feelings were of there being no pain and that it was peaceful. I can't wrap my head around it still. I just hope and pray to whatever gods that she knew she was loved until the end.

Thanks again all, I've been crying like a child, almost at random for the past couple days. I guess that's good, to express my grief. I keep remembering a line from an old reader's digest.

"And there, holding the head of my dead mare in my lap, while the great warm tears fell one after another down my cheeks, I sat until the sun went down, the shadows darkened in the car, and night drew her mantle, colored like my grief, over the world."

I know it will get better. And for her it is better now. I thank you all for making me understand that this is the price of love. In the end, I'm glad I was given a reason to pay it. I have three more cats, and I will be here for them and do my best to make their lives as happy and safe as Mr. Kitty's.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It is one of life's great sorrows that the ones that you love can only live for so long. Be good to yourself. It's going to suck for a while. Just take it one day at a time.

Because you shared her with us, you are not the only one who is shedding tears for her. If you need help from the PA community, we're here for you.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    This thread is all feels, moist eyes at work...

I got my first cat last year, and even though he's a little monster, I couldn't bear to be without him.

I'm sorry for your loss, but you sound like the best of pet owners, and you most definitely had as much of a profound effect on Mr. Kitty's life as she clearly had on yours.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I am going through this exact scenario in the past month so I'm very sorry. $4k worth of medical bills later and we still don't know what's going on or if she'll pull through. Good and bad days. All you can do is make the last moments good and they'll know you cared. It's hard not to blame yourself or feel like you should do "more" even when you just can't for whatever reasons (money, ability, etc.). I'm sorry for your loss.

• Options
    Hey folks, thanks again so much for everyone's kindness and support. I'm back at work today and I'm doing a little better. Trying to give my other kitties extra love and affection, I think one of them knows for sure that Mr. Kitty is gone. I was really saddened again last night by a gif I saw on reddit of a cat who was paralyzed just like Mr. Kitty who seemed to be doing fine, playing with another kitty who was born with no front legs. But the vet did tell me she was experiencing some pain and they had to put her on painkillers, and I didn't want to gamble with her suffering any more, even though of course she seemed fine to me but I know she can't communicate her pain levels, so you know it's just so shitty. I want to say hey she's gonna be fine once she gets used to it, but that seems so cruel also to have her not being able to even go to the bathroom normally, plus again just not knowing if she is actually just quietly suffering.

I've been second-guessing myself again, but you know again, that's a different cat, might not have been the exact same scenario as Mr. Kitty and maybe they knew for sure the cat wasn't in pain.

I wish it was just a clear thing, but the choice I had to make was the most humane one and the one sure to spare her any more distress. I just keep wondering what if I tried and just gave her a little more time, even though I know that's really not the right thing to do, I would have had to leave her unsupervised while I was at work, and the thought of her maybe being unable to do basic things without help is equally crushing.

It just sucks you know, wondering what if? But I appreciate everyone's advice and comfort in helping me through this decision and this time in my life. I am very grateful to you all and I know that things will get better with time. Thank you for feeling for Mr. Kitty and thank you for letting me tell you her name and show you her face and maybe you will remember her a bit along with me.

I cannot adequately express how much help you guys have given me just by being here with me in spirit. Thank you all, thank you all so very much.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's helpful to remember that for every "what if" that ends up good, there's an equal "what if" for something that ends up horrible.

While it was a hard decision it was the right decision for you, I feel.

Just remember, though, it's okay to be sad about it. Your cat was a large part of your life. In the end, everything will be okay. She lived a good life with you, she couldn't have asked for a better life and outcome to suffering. And don't worry about spreading your love with the other cats either, it's good and okay to do so, and you're not disrespecting Mr. kitty by doing so. Quite the opposite.

Every pet touches us and changes us in a different and unique way and leaves a part of them with us forever.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea we are going through something similar with our 12 year old dog. She has been losing nerve function to her back legs and essentially has dog ALS. The hardest thing is it's not a pain thing so knowing when it's time is super difficult. For a while she seemed to be deteriorating quickly but seems to be doing well for the time being

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Hi Hiryu02,

Don't beat yourself up. You sound like an amazing pet owner, and I am sure your sweet cat loved you very much.

Sometimes money doesn't help either. My aunt's cat passed away after $7000 in medical bills and they couldn't diagnose what was wrong with her until postmortem autopsy.

We are here for you...

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I cried more while having my cats euthanized than during any funeral i've been to.

It's the combination of them being so close and a part of your daily life, the fact that you cannot communicate to them why this is the best course and that you are put into a position to decide over life or death.

also people are dicks sometimes about losing pets, be ready to tell them to sod off.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    also people are dicks sometimes about losing pets, be ready to tell them to sod off.

Yeah this is one of the worst things about losing a pet, that it's a very real and painful grief that some people will treat you shittily for experiencing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    My sincere apologies for your loss.

This thread has reminded me that I went through the same thing almost a year ago. I've had the same second thoughts about what happened but I know that in the end we made the right call so she wasn't in anymore pain.

Believe me when I say that it does get easier in time. Take heart in knowing that your little one is at peace now.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I feel like this belongs here.

http://www.robot-hugs.com/promeowses/

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Mr. Kitty you are immortal now

• Options
    Well, guys. I wasn't sure if I wanted to share this. Because it is extremely fucked up. But I lost Pumpkin yesterday morning. I woke up, he wasn't in bed with me, and I found him passed out on the living room floor. He woke up, but it was obvious he was in a lot of pain, and I saw he had been incontinent. I rushed him to the regular vet and the vet said that he was on death's door. I had to go ahead and have him put to sleep immediately as the vet said he wasn't going to survive the blood tests coming back. Vet said he had a jacksonian reflex, front legs stiff and cold, back legs limp, jaw locked. I wanted to fucking die. Again, could have been anything. Tumor, seizure, stroke. toxic reaction, spinal trauma. (he never jumps on high places)

He was in obvious obvious pain. I'm just numb today and I don't even know what to do.

It's just been a rough few weeks. First Mr. Kitty, then my sister back home passed away after a long cancer battle, then Pumpkin. I didn't even know if I should post, but the recent activity made me feel like maybe yeah I should share this.

FWIW I'm doing "better", in the sense that I'm not a sobbing wreck and having to miss work, I had to work yesterday right after the vet visit, so I was a zombie. I'm still just kind of a zombie. I was so scared coming home yesterday and waking up this morning that I would have a third cat. Toggle and Biscuits are fine it seems. I looked around the apartment for anything Pumpkin could have eaten that was toxic and found nothing chewed up. He was fully grown we we rescued him so I have no idea of his age or genetic background, just hoping he had a happy life with me, sleeping on the bed and snuggling under pillows.

He and Mr. Kitty will be cremated together and their ashes spread on a farm outside the city. Maybe I can go visit them later on. This has been just an insane month. i'm sorry guys.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm tremendously sorry for the losses you've experienced. It's hard to lose anyone close to you, let alone three in one month.

For whatever it's worth, and as fucked up as it feels, NONE of this is your doing and you are not responsible. Again, the care and attention you've shown checking up on the cats, and following up on something that could have potentially caused Pumpkin's passing shows you are a caring and attentive cat owner.

We are a community, and if one member experiences pain, the rest are here to help in any way we can (at least that's been my experience). Lean on us in any way you can, and take good care of yourself.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Shit, I don't know what to say. That's a lot of sorrow to deal with at once. I'm really sorry. :(

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm so sorry. Losing so much in such a short amount of time feels like too much for anyone to bear. We are thinking about you. If you ever need someone to talk about your grief, I'm available.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Oh man, so sorry for your losses Hiryu :( Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever wanna just zonk out with some Destiny or League or Overwatch. You provided happy lives for your cats, that's all anyone can do.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.