As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Westworld] has finally reached the centre of the maze

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The ending makes it a little perplexing why Ford had so many "they're just robots, dammit!" scenes

He obviously doesn't feel that way.
    They were until they weren't. Someone had to complete the maze.
    Ford
    didn't want the humans to not get attached to the hosts. He wanted the hosts to not get attached to the humans.

And man... what an AMAZING finale. This show hits exactly all the right notes for me.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I think the park could keep going after this. To the outside world this won't be a case of dangerous Hosts going berserk and killing randomly, it'll be a case of Ford using them as instruments of destruction. The trick would be Delores somehow managing the transition to new management and finding a way to influence things from the shadows.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Seal wrote: »
    I think the park could keep going after this. To the outside world this won't be a case of dangerous Hosts going berserk and killing randomly, it'll be a case of Ford using them as instruments of destruction. The trick would be Delores somehow managing the transition to new management and finding a way to influence things from the shadows.
    Well, the park was shut down.. and we do know that it's possible to make hosts that look exactly like given humans, see Bernard. They could very well replace the dead humans with hosts..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HorizonShiftHorizonShift Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Armistice kind of looks like a meaner, more murdery version of Amy Poehler.
    I really liked the finale, but I thought the scene where Armistice and Hector kill the butchers and escape was really schlocky and felt out of place. It felt like they just inserted the masturbation bit for shock value and it took me out of what would have been an otherwise great scene because terminator Armistice was great. The utter incompetence of security didn't bother me as much as the awkward tone of that whole bit. Maybe I'm alone on this one.

I forgave the terrible security because I know how poorly trained most security personnel are, especially when it comes to handling a new situation or a huge breakdown in communications (shutting down the holodeck/control room)

One thing I like about the show is the contrast between Westworld being this cutting edge high tech place and utter tourist trash like any other theme park. They went through all this effort to make the place feel authentic, beautiful, and alive but there are also areas where you can pose for photos or practice shooting bottles off a host's head. Something you'd expect at a more morbid version of SeaWorld.

HorizonShift on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Given they talked about "the mainland," I think it's safe to say Westworld is on Earth on an island off the shore of a major continent. This sorts out the airspace and fauna problems reasonably well.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Armistice kind of looks like a meaner, more murdery version of Amy Poehler.
    I really liked the finale, but I thought the scene where Armistice and Hector kill the butchers and escape was really schlocky and felt out of place. It felt like they just inserted the masturbation bit for shock value and it took me out of what would have been an otherwise great scene because terminator Armistice was great. The utter incompetence of security didn't bother me as much as the awkward tone of that whole bit. Maybe I'm alone on this one.

I forgave the terrible security because I know how poorly trained most security personnel are, especially when it comes to handling a new situation or a huge breakdown in communications (shutting down the holodeck/control room)

One thing I like about the show is the contrast between Westworld being this cutting edge high tech place and utter tourist trash like any other theme park. They went through all this effort to make the place feel authentic, beautiful, and alive but there are also areas where you can pose for photos or practice shooting bottles off a host's head. Something you'd expect at a more morbid version of SeaWorld.

it was schlocky but he's a stand in for all the worst shit that's been done to these hosts over the years

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    question
    the woman from the board who shows up earlier in the season, sorry I am terrible with names.

in the finale at the party she says to the story guy 'don't you have somewhere else to be? somewhere important?' and it seemed to me like she was protecting him from what was about to happen. he goes to the storage room and finds it empty.

what are they actually talking about there? I watched the whole ep way more closely yesterday and still don't quite get this.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    question
    the woman from the board who shows up earlier in the season, sorry I am terrible with names.

in the finale at the party she says to the story guy 'don't you have somewhere else to be? somewhere important?' and it seemed to me like she was protecting him from what was about to happen. he goes to the storage room and finds it empty.

what are they actually talking about there? I watched the whole ep way more closely yesterday and still don't quite get this.

i think
    He was going there to release the reprogrammed Abernathy and smuggle him out

• Options
    ah thanks! that makes sense

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    question

he was suppose to go down to the basement and activate that host they stuffed a hard drive in to. But when he gets there the basement is empty.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    What a finale! So much switcheroo going on with audience expectations.
    Freeze frame that look on Steven Ogg's face... "I'm going to be having some serious words with my agent about this!" :P :lol:

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    His guy has the best face in the end scene tho

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Maeve
    doesn't leave the park but she leaves her bag in the train..

on the train
    I see this as the equivalent of taking the hotel towels/robe, they will assume a guest forgot to take it off the train. It's not like they are going to keep the clothes the guests wore for their duration to put on another guest when they can print more and are charging 20k/day. It's all probably tagged with sciencefuturemagic so they know what to print to replace and put back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Seriously though. They're not gonna detonate a host on the fucking bullet train. She probably passed the boundary marker in the service elevator.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure the point of the fire in the last episode was to show her being rebuilt without the bomb in the finale.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Pretty sure the point of the fire in the last episode was to show her being rebuilt without the bomb in the finale.

Caught the repeat of the last two. Second to last ep:
    Maeve to Bernard: "The truth is like a good fuck: Half is worse than none at all"

Fast forward 30 minutes, Maeve kicks over a latern as foreplay, and ultimately burns herself to death mid-shag.

I want to believe there is an alternate timeline where Bernard personally authorized the pyrotechnic request; with narrowed eyes, muttering something bitterly about half-truths.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Regarding maeve
    one of the key differences between a host and a human is that you can see their "thoughts" as code on your magic tablet. How would a preprogrammed narrative differ visually from some self aware decisions. When maeve decides to go back to see her daughter instead of leaving the train is that a deviation from her code? If you were bust out a tablet later would you be able to tell to difference after the fact?

Say I, as an alleged human, plan to hit the grocery store after work, and you can somehow read my brain, would this future plan represent itself differently than if I were a machine that had been programmed by someone else to go the store?

Regarding security
    Do they even fire a single shot? I finally caught up pretty late last night/this morning but I don't recall them even taking a panic shot while being split off and gunned down. Not even some misses, no one pulls a trigger?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Regarding maeve
    one of the key differences between a host and a human is that you can see their "thoughts" as code on your magic tablet. How would a preprogrammed narrative differ visually from some self aware decisions. When maeve decides to go back to see her daughter instead of leaving the train is that a deviation from her code? If you were bust out a tablet later would you be able to tell to difference after the fact?

Say I, as an alleged human, plan to hit the grocery store after work, and you can somehow read my brain, would this future plan represent itself differently than if I were a machine that had been programmed by someone else to go the store?

Regarding security
    Do they even fire a single shot? I finally caught up pretty late last night/this morning but I don't recall them even taking a panic shot while being split off and gunned down. Not even some misses, no one pulls a trigger?
    Bernard looks at her code and tells her she's on a scripted narrative and has been this whole time, the last part he mentions is what she's supposed to do when she gets to the mainland. So they can tell what someone is doing, and has done, from the tablet and from looking at their narrative.

Bernard looks at her narrative, and her leaving the train goes against what he said about it. So I'm guessing, with some evidence, that her leaving her bag on the train wasn't the extent of her narrative or even part of it.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Well I'm really glad I decided to leave this thread a while back. The reveals were surprising and powerful. It was a great finale to an excellent season.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well that was mostly pretty stupid, but the end and then particularly the post-credits redeemed it.
    All the human characters suck so I don't really give a shit about them. It was great seeing Armistice and bandit dude kicking ass, but I was pretty sad when my favorite character got trapped in a door and left to go out in a blaze of glory. Then the episode ends and she cuts off her fucking arm and goes to continue the spree, hell yes.

And Dolores something something, whatever who cares. Bring on the robot war sure, but all I want to see is Armistice's role in it.

I guess I'll watch the next season. It'll at least be a change I'm sure, which is good.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Well that was mostly pretty stupid, but the end and then particularly the post-credits redeemed it.
    All the human characters suck so I don't really give a shit about them. It was great seeing Armistice and bandit dude kicking ass, but I was pretty sad when my favorite character got trapped in a door and left to go out in a blaze of glory. Then the episode ends and she cuts off her fucking arm and goes to continue the spree, hell yes.

And Dolores something something, whatever who cares. Bring on the robot war sure, but all I want to see is Armistice's role in it.

I guess I'll watch the next season. It'll at least be a change I'm sure, which is good.
    I really hope next season she gets an arm replacement. Like a gauntlet, or a machete, or... I dunno... chain saw?
    I just think it would be groovy, or something...

• Options
    On the whole, I enjoyed the show. It was fun and interesting more than it was frustrating and annoying, and the latter bits weren't enough to make me give up on it like has happened with many other shows.

I think I would have enjoyed it about 3x more if they hadn't had any big twists throughout, though. If it was just a straightforward story.

About the only one that worked for me was
    Bernard is a host. That worked because it showed the audience "Hey, this person you thought was a human the whole time? He's actually a host!" and helps to reinforce the idea that if you can't tell the difference is there really a difference at all? You can only do this once though, because if you do it again the message then turns into "oh shit I wonder who else is a host?" and that only leads to very terrible things like Battlestar Galactica. They only did it once, so it worked.

I wish they had combined that reveal with him being a recreation of Arnold though. Having that one come later didn't really work for me, though at least it wasn't as dumb as William = MiB or as obvious as Dolores = Wyatt. Or as superfluous as Bernard actually did kill that tech lady and Ford is lying to him.

It's a story about emergent consciousness and that is totally my jam, but the way they made it convoluted and deliberately muddled almost ruined it for me.

Now that that's over with though yes bring on Season 2.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It wouldn't surprise me if we open next season and those stupid fuckers aren't still
    sitting there yelling "Get on the ground!" at all the robots as they're killed 1 by 1

constantly perplexed it's not working.

The post credit scene was the height of the stupidity.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if we open next season and those stupid fuckers aren't still
    sitting there yelling "Get on the ground!" at all the robots as they're killed 1 by 1

constantly perplexed it's not working.

The post credit scene was the height of the stupidity.
    "Maniac has replied with a scornful remark!"
    "Approach and repeat ultimatum in an even firmer tone of voice. Add the words, 'or else.'"

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I get why people might not like that whole section with the shootout and the after credit scene

but I like Armistice too much sorry not sorry

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Armistice and Hector are absolutely awesome.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Caught the repeat of the last two. Second to last ep:
    Maeve to Bernard: "The truth is like a good fuck: Half is worse than none at all"

Fast forward 30 minutes, Maeve kicks over a latern as foreplay, and ultimately burns herself to death mid-shag.

I want to believe there is an alternate timeline where Bernard personally authorized the pyrotechnic request; with narrowed eyes, muttering something bitterly about half-truths.

Hah, alternate timeline?
    Hell, in the actual timeline that might've happened, courtesy of Ford's scenarios in the first place.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Okay, seriously, why do people like Armistice?

Is it because the character is a kickass blonde chick with a body snake tattoo and is also named Armistice? okay

Get back to me when she actually does something interesting or has a personality.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Why do people like Samus Aran? Armistice is rad. <3

She's got enough personality for her role
    like the way her face lights up when she uh, lights someone else up with the modern machine gun. That (violent) delight would only work for someone with her particular role.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    She is cool

They coulda made that escape scene better by far though since the guards basically never shooting is dumb

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So also I guess if you keep scripting hosts waking up

And combine that with being able to remember things

Then that can lead to actual consciousness?

Or something

Hm

poo
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am quite sure that
    the security people with the P90s were Hosts in the last episode

After Teresa's death, Ford demands more control over park security and states that he can make it "largely automated"

We have seen them use Hosts as laborers and dress Hosts up in staff uniforms.

The people who were actual humans were locked down in the control room.

Maeve's escape narrative was planned. I think the security guys were Hosts and were for show as part of that plan.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    When most characters on the show have the personality of "irritating shithead" i'll take the kickass blonde lady with a snake tattoo instead any day. She got plenty of characterization in this final episode anyway. Characterization that made her a lot more relatable than either of the other two she was with at the time, even.

Aistan on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Pony on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    One of the things I liked best about both the finale and this season is that this could easily have been it. They told a story. How many fucking shows, even excellent ones, are so slavishly worried about the next season that they sacrifice a simple story arc for something far off in the future (syndications, ratings, scrooge mcduck coinpools)?

• Options
    Yeah, and the same for the pilot episode - Someone said it might have easily been an episode of dark mirror, self contained

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Okay, seriously, why do people like Armistice?

Is it because the character is a kickass blonde chick with a body snake tattoo and is also named Armistice? okay

Get back to me when she actually does something interesting or has a personality.

This. Her character is: non-sentient robotic psychopath who shoots incompetent guards and corporate flunkies while smiling. But she has a neat tattoo so I guess all is good.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    she's a neat minor character people like because she's cool

what's with all the hate in here? this is the worst thread about a show on this forums I was in in a long time

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    she's a neat minor character people like because she's cool

what's with all the hate in here?

Not hating. Just don't know what the big deal is.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The tattoo is pretty neat tho

And her storyline, the whole "one segment per kill" thing is the best script for any of the Hosts.

Oh brilliant