As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I doubt non-Therosian gods will have the enchantment component; that was pretty explicitly a Nyx thing.
    I will be heart broken if they arnt enchantments. Im negotiable on devotion.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    turns out the "gods" are actually just giant mechs, their cards being vehicles

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I did a bad thing. I hit a friend on turn 3 with the Kaalia/Master of Cruelties combo on turn 4. That game did not last long.

Does Lorwyn/Shadowmoor have books for their story?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I did a bad thing. I hit a friend on turn 3 with the Kaalia/Master of Cruelties combo on turn 4. That game did not last long.

Hey we tried to warn you.

Yes. Lorwyn, Morningtide, and Eventide tell the story.

The Shadowmoor book, OTOH, is a collection of dark faerie tales -- think "Brothers Grimm" with an MTG twist. (There's also one chapter that bridges the two 'Tide books.) It is one of my all-time favorite MTG books.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It ended in my favor. I got a really strong board going. At one point it was Kaalia, Archfiend of Depravity, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Master of Cruelties, and Scourge of the Throne. Luckily when it came down to just two of us I had less health so with two combat phases I finished the game.

First game I got straight up ruined though. They killed Kaalia four times. Shut me down hard.

The Shadowmoor book, OTOH, is a collection of dark faerie tales -- think "Brothers Grimm" with an MTG twist. (There's also one chapter that bridges the two 'Tide books.) It is one of my all-time favorite MTG books.

I am definitely gonna buy those along with Arena, Distant Planes, and Tapestries. I love the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor setting so I was really hope they were still making books when that set came out.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

It ended in my favor. I got a really strong board going. At one point it was Kaalia, Archfiend of Depravity, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Master of Cruelties, and Scourge of the Throne. Luckily when it came down to just two of us I had less health so with two combat phases I finished the game.

First game I got straight up ruined though. They killed Kaalia four times. Shut me down hard.

I am definitely gonna buy those along with Arena, Distant Planes, and Tapestries. I love the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor setting so I was really hope they were still making books when that set came out.

Not... quite what Vyolynce meant. When you're playing a deck like that, make sure your group is all on the same page with respect to deck power level.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

Not... quite what Vyolynce meant. When you're playing a deck like that, make sure your group is all on the same page with respect to deck power level.

Oh, that makes sense. They knew. I let everyone know ahead of time. They were all fine with it since it can be stopped and it can only be done once a game. If anyone would have asked me not to do it I would have removed the card from the deck no problem.

For the most part my group is casual (which for a few sessions we got a little heated about stuff) and we run some goofy infinite combos and things like that. Plus we like to get games done pretty fast so we can play more.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    OK, I'm glad you'd talked about it beforehand.

We only brought this up because Kaalia gives a lot of experienced players the creeps. She's a card that can single-handedly dismantle EDH groups that would otherwise have been long-lasting and fun, if those players don't set expectations about what type of game they want ahead of time. Anyway, carry on :biggrin:

(I'm a fan of 75% theory. There are some good articles on GatheringMagic about it.)

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Me not thinking kaalia is too strong is probably telling of the people I've played this format with.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've got a friend who insists Arcum Dagssen is not a busted commander, because he's never played against it.

I'd put it together to shove it down his throat, but teaching him a lesson is not worth $1400 of my own semi hard-earned buckeroos.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've got a friend who insists Arcum Dagssen is not a busted commander, because he's never played against it.

I'd put it together to shove it down his throat, but teaching him a lesson is not worth $1400 of my own semi hard-earned buckeroos.

The lesson could be a lot cheaper, what does a stack of basic plains and a bic pen cost nowadays

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Uhhh...$1399.50?

• Options
    Speaking of Commander insanity, I made a thing this morning:
    Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder

0-drops (1): Wheel of Fate

1-drops (1): Burgeoning

2-drops (3): Dolmen Gate, Conqueror's Flail, Prismatic Omen

3-drops (11): Sword of Feast and Famine, Stitch in Time, Coalition Relic, Mana Flare, Commander's Sphere, Rites of Flourishing, Darksteel Ingot, Chromatic Lantern, Shardless Agent, Heartbeat of Spring, and Jori En, Ruin Diver

4-drops (11): Nature's Will, Bear Umbra, Temporal Extortion, Yahenni's Expertise, Ghirapur Orrery, Bloodbraid Elf, Relentless Assault, Unexpected Results, Shaman of the Great Hunt, Plasm Capture, and Rashmi, Eternities Crafter

5-drops (10): Spellweaver Volute, Zhur-Taa Ancient, Arcane Melee, Deny Reality, Savage Beating, Gilded Lotus, World at War, Bituminous Blast, Stone Calendar*, Rude Awakening

*Honestly a placeholder until I get my hands on a Baral's Expertise

6-drops (9): Charmbreaker Devils, Counterlash, Mana Reflection, Rishkar's Expertise, Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, Part the Waterveil, Seasons Past, Walk the Aeons, and Tasigur, the Golden Fang

7-drops (5): Allosaurus Rider, Zendikar Resurgent, Volcanic Vision, Charnelhoard Wurm, Fury of the Horde

8-drops (5): Kederekt Leviathan, Treasure Cruise, Avatar of Woe, Bedlam Reveler, Beacon of Tomorrows

9-drops (2): Blasphemous Act, The Great Aurora

10-drops (1): Omniscience

11-drops (2): Temporal Trespass, Primeval Protector

Lands (38): all 4 trilands (Savage Lands), all 6 Ravnica bouncelands (Simic Growth Chamber), all 6 buddylands (Dragonskull Summit), 2 Panoramas (Grixis, Jund), 3 filter lands (Sunken Ruins, Graven Cairns, Fire-Lit Thicket), 3 shocks (Watery Grave, Breeding Pool, Steam Vents), Llanowar Wastes, 5 gold lands (Transguild Promenade, Rupture Spire, Exotic Orchard, Forbidden Orchard, Command Tower), 6 basics (SS FF M I), 2 utility mono-colored lands (Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep and Magosi, the Waterveil)

The idea here was "extra": extra turns, extra combats, extra mana. Gave it a couple test runs against friends and nonsense ensued.

Highlight was swinging Yidris into a pair of 3/3 tokens from the safety of a Dolmen Gate. He double-blocked, and I entwined Savage Beating. Both tokens dead and four damage, then Yidris hit him two more times in the bonus combat. That let me score three cascades off a one-mana Blashpenous Act (four really, since Bloodbraid was one of them), then three more off a fully-delved Temporal Trespass (which found Nature's Will and Zhur-Taa Ancient) leaving only Fury of the Horde in my graveyard. In my extra turn I cast Tasigur and Arcane Melee, hit the only player with untapped lands (untapping my own thanks to Nature's Will), then activated Tasigur hitting land, land and forcing Fury of the Horde back to my hand, which I cast. Second combat hit the same player, then activated Tasigur hitting land, Seasons Past. They gave me Seasons Past, which I cast getting back Fury of the Horde and a land. Cast Fury, killed the opponent I had been attacking. Floated a ton of mana, cast The Great Aurora for 20 — freeing my Zendikar Resurgent from his Banishing Light in the process. Drew into Omniscience, two Time Walks, and Charnelhoard Wurm for infinite combats.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    holy shit Dolmen Gate. Where have you been all my life?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    HexDex wrote: »

Yeah any deck that wants to get in the red zone should find room for that if possible.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I did not know this was a card, but now I want it for Breya.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Yeah any deck that wants to get in the red zone should find room for that if possible.

obviously he can't go in any deck like the Gate, but Iroas gives you the same effect (plus prevents non-combat damage, and gives your dudes menace)

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I played Iroas and thought about playing gate in Alesha... before it became a hyper cutthroat stax deck. But those effects are cool as hell

initiatefailure on
  • Options

obviously he can't go in any deck like the Gate, but Iroas gives you the same effect (plus prevents non-combat damage, and gives your dudes menace)

White decks also have access to Mark of Asylum and/or Light of Sanction if you want to avoid sources of noncombat damage.

• Options
    Looked up those MTG books, the old Arena one is like $30 plus.

I made a G/W Human deck for my groups Innistrad/Gothic horror/Halloween theme. I feel like these Humans are gonna kick some ass.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    This is a cute little site

http://pick1pack1.com/

15 completely random cards, not distributed based on rarity, what's your pick 1?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i was hoping picking a thing would give me a thing to share

mine was between godsire and a pyroclasm because everything else seemed doodoo

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    So last week during commander league I signed up with a Zedruu deck that was super grouphuggy so that I could get to know everyone and stuff

Next time I go I think I'm sticking copies of Sky Swallower and Brand in there

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    This is a cute little site

http://pick1pack1.com/

15 completely random cards, not distributed based on rarity, what's your pick 1?

I took a Pestilience over a Sword of War and Peace.

I will stand by that decision until the end of time.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    First picked a moment's peace

2 fogs

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    So on Saturday I lost my win and in for day two, going 6-2-1 in the modern open then just went 7-2 today in the modern classic at Indy... to finish 17th by breakers.

Easily my best large event finish ever but missing top 16 by .03 percent is far more tilting than I expected so I'll probably be more excited tomorrow.

Like... no one even gets to see my list now! But what if merfolk is just great?

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That sounds like encouragement to speculate. Uh oh.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize Modern Masters 3 was being spoiled so soon; doesn't it get released late summer?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    metaghost wrote: »
    I didn't realize Modern Masters 3 was being spoiled so soon; doesn't it get released late summer?

Nope, March 17th.

Which feels super early.

But this summer's releases are the Commander Anthology and the Bolas Archenemy (before HoD in July, obv).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    en_7srM4tmHyG.png

way to ruin our favorite joke, WotC, geez

also

scaldingtarn.jpg
    etc.

• Options
    Interesting that it will apparently be a "heavily multicolor format" focused on ally color themes, rather than all ten pairs. Considering Adam specifically says "it will have better fixing than Shards of Alara", I suppose the intent is for it to feel like Shards of Alara in terms of its emphasis on multicolor cards.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Oh, shit. The fetch lands.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Oh, shit. The fetch lands.

Thank god. Desperately needed.

• Options
    glad neither are at mythic too

• Options
    thank goodness, now packs can be $20 instead of $15!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The extra five bucks just makes it feel that much more special imo

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    glad neither are at mythic too

The fetches have already existed in a world with mythics and the older ones were already reprinted in that same world as rares. In no universe would they have been mythic.

A case could have been made for Damnation but vanilla wraths are almost always just rare. The only two mythic wraths either exile (Descend Upon the Sinful) or bottom (Terminus) instead of destroying.

Techincally OG Wrath has been printed as a mythic but FTV sets don't usually count. Living Death has also been printed as mythic in the same FTV and in Tempest Remastered.

• Options
    I think you highlighted the wrong reason Terminus was mythic (and why it's played in Legacy).

• Options
    also it's really funny to me how they said that they almost reprinted damnation but MonoBlack Devotion, which is the same reason they didn't reprint lili of the veil

and boy let me tell you, i think the only person who wouldn't have sacrificed that format at the altar for reprints is owen turtenwald

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.