As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3rd Presidential Debate]: Election Dragon Hungers: With A Vengeance (9pm EST)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So I watched the debate this morning on the New York Times YouTube channel and at one stage there was a shot where you could see Clinton's countdown clock over her shoulder. Matthews was asking her a question and the two minute clock had already started its countdown, it was at 1:30-something before he had even finished. Everyone was ignoring their clocks anyway and I'll assume it was the same for both candidates but it was interesting all the same.

Chris Wallace.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The right wing is now trying to push that Clinton pointing out there's only about 4 minutes between the order and nuclear launch and proof she's giving away classified information.

The information is not classified.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

did I do something like that before?

Crap, no, that was Haks' thing. My mistake.

Bitchsplainin is copyright me. If you're gonna use it you gotta pay up.

And needless to say, if you ain't a lady, you're probably not using it right

Wait, could you somehow elaborate on it's correct usage in some way?

lol its just some tongue in cheek i've said when i'm making some long effortpost that ends up being a patronizing basic poli sci 101 lecture about how we have three branches of government

Yeah, it was something Haks said that made me laugh way too hard, I thought I'd throw back to it, and conflated her and LA as I was posting.

My bad, I apologize for the confusion, and certainly didn't intend any offense.

So I've been feeling bad for weeks because I kept confusing those two. Both have great posts and I kept messing them up in my head because their avatars were basically brown haired women. I always enjoy reading their posts because they add very much to the threads (in particular Hak's sass and LH's democrat's abroad updates). But until she switched her avatar, I could not tell them apart at times.

I'm a terrible white guy for this. Sorry.

Agree for terrible white guy, smh

As a white guy

It's kind of a redundant phrase tbh

I realize that you're half-joking. I don't actually disagree with you, as a white guy myself. White guys, throughout history, have and continue to be, on the whole, kinda terrible.

I'm still sad that my son, who has never participated in any of these crimes, is growing up in a world where he is increasingly going to be derided for his gender and the color of his skin. On the whole, yes, this is a pendulum of retribution a long time coming, but I don't have to like it that my son is increasingly made out to be the villain, the moron, the goofy uncool dude in every commercial on TV, because our fathers and grandfathers were dicks.

It's only because of white guys today that Trump made it this far

And I have two sons, so I get that you don't want them generalized into being part of the problem

But it's my job as a parent to teach them that historically, we have been, so that they aren't

I refuse to make excuses for the terrible people that put us where we are or #notallwhiteguys just because I am one
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

lol its just some tongue in cheek i've said when i'm making some long effortpost that ends up being a patronizing basic poli sci 101 lecture about how we have three branches of government

Yeah, it was something Haks said that made me laugh way too hard, I thought I'd throw back to it, and conflated her and LA as I was posting.

So I've been feeling bad for weeks because I kept confusing those two. Both have great posts and I kept messing them up in my head because their avatars were basically brown haired women. I always enjoy reading their posts because they add very much to the threads (in particular Hak's sass and LH's democrat's abroad updates). But until she switched her avatar, I could not tell them apart at times.

As a white guy

I realize that you're half-joking. I don't actually disagree with you, as a white guy myself. White guys, throughout history, have and continue to be, on the whole, kinda terrible.

I'm still sad that my son, who has never participated in any of these crimes, is growing up in a world where he is increasingly going to be derided for his gender and the color of his skin. On the whole, yes, this is a pendulum of retribution a long time coming, but I don't have to like it that my son is increasingly made out to be the villain, the moron, the goofy uncool dude in every commercial on TV, because our fathers and grandfathers were dicks.

I have a white son, too. And nothing he experiences will ever be on the level that my sister, or even my friend @MayGodHaveMercy have experienced.

Yeah, unpacking white privileged is going to be painful for our progeny. But we're at least aware enough of it to help them to not become like Trump's children, while also allowing them to show their worth.

And fuck me sideways if I'll ever spell privilege correctly.

You both misunderstand me. I'm not hashtag-shitmovementing here. I'm not arguing in favor of retaining white male privilege. What is going to happen is both inevitable and necessary, and I am not going to stand in it's way. I am going to continue to teach them to treat everyone with respect and equality, and vote for politicians that will legislate the same.

It's still shitty and fucked up that my son is going to become the scapegoat at the bottom of the social order so that my daughter can get treated more fairly by society.

He's not going to be at the bottom, is all everyone is saying. He'll be able to take comfort in generations of societal privilege and sweet, sweet entrenched patriarchy any time the sting of mild social retribution gets a bit too spicy.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    This third debate seemed a lot more hostile from Clinton and Trump both. Clinton, tired of Trump's shit, and Trump, scrambling for any last ditch attempt to sway people with blatant lies.

Seeing there were way more interruptions is interesting. Is the third debate usually the one when gloves come off?

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

And I have two sons, so I get that you don't want them generalized into being part of the problem

But it's my job as a parent to teach them that historically, we have been, so that they aren't

I refuse to make excuses for the terrible people that put us where we are or #notallwhiteguys just because I am one
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I have a white son, too. And nothing he experiences will ever be on the level that my sister, or even my friend @MayGodHaveMercy have experienced.

Yeah, unpacking white privileged is going to be painful for our progeny. But we're at least aware enough of it to help them to not become like Trump's children, while also allowing them to show their worth.

You both misunderstand me. I'm not hashtag-shitmovementing here. I'm not arguing in favor of retaining white male privilege. What is going to happen is both inevitable and necessary, and I am not going to stand in it's way. I am going to continue to teach them to treat everyone with respect and equality, and vote for politicians that will legislate the same.

It's still shitty and fucked up that my son is going to become the scapegoat at the bottom of the social order so that my daughter can get treated more fairly by society.

He's not going to be at the bottom, is all everyone is saying. He'll be able to take comfort in generations of societal privilege and sweet, sweet entrenched patriarchy any time the sting of mild social retribution gets a bit too spicy.

I'm not so sure about that. The trend in TV comedies and advertising to have the white guy be the moron that all the cool women and non-whites school on brands and style has been ongoing for a few years already. This election has country largely divided into "white guys" and "everyone else", and if the dems were running anyone that wasn't named "Hillary Clinton", I'm confident in saying Trump would have been well and truly Mondale'd in every sense of the term. I also live in a pretty progressive city that's been taking steps toward equality for a long time, and large parts of institutional privilege are being dismantled via both law and the battle for hearts and minds.

Then you see posts like Josh's, in which we men who are allies of progressivism deride ourselves for the sins of the past. We make ourselves jokes. We place ourselves at the bottom because we feel we must apologize for men like Trump. And in a way, yes, "we" do.

The thing is, there are centuries of resentment out there looking for a vent. We're striving toward equality, but there are definitely those who strive instead for retribution in the guise of equality. And they're not wrong. "They", as groups, deserve retribution, and the shifts in society ensure that they'll get it. And I'm ok with that.

Individuals must suffer for the sins of the collective. Individuals must be sacrificed for the greater good. This is how humans have always behaved, and it's not changing anytime soon.

I can support the cause while lamenting the personal outcome.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I'm not so sure about that. The trend in TV comedies and advertising to have the white guy be the moron that all the cool women and non-whites school on brands and style has been ongoing for a few years already. This election has country largely divided into "white guys" and "everyone else", and if the dems were running anyone that wasn't named "Hillary Clinton", I'm confident in saying Trump would have been well and truly Mondale'd in every sense of the term. I also live in a pretty progressive city that's been taking steps toward equality for a long time, and large parts of institutional privilege are being dismantled via both law and the battle for hearts and minds.

Then you see posts like Josh's, in which we men who are allies of progressivism deride ourselves for the sins of the past. We make ourselves jokes. We place ourselves at the bottom because we feel we must apologize for men like Trump. And in a way, yes, "we" do.

The thing is, there are centuries of resentment out there looking for a vent. We're striving toward equality, but there are definitely those who strive instead for retribution in the guise of equality. And they're not wrong. "They", as groups, deserve retribution, and the shifts in society ensure that they'll get it. And I'm ok with that.

Individuals must suffer for the sins of the collective. Individuals must be sacrificed for the greater good. This is how humans have always behaved, and it's not changing anytime soon.

Nah. Hopefully, we will see steady improvement and generational change. Anything greater than that, and it will end up being short-lived while inviting a massive backlash.

I lived through the 80s and 90s, when "I believe in equality, but I am not a feminist." was a mantra among liberal women. That's a backlash from much less radical change than you are suggesting.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    You know, something I thought would happen after Clinton pulled Machado out of her pocket in the first debate was that they'd have even more to lay in on him in the second and third debates, but that didn't really happen. He self-destructed on his own while she stepped out of his way and let him. I really have to wonder if they DO have yet more on him that they could've pulled out if things were looking bad for her, but she recognized that he already created awful headlines for himself and didn't want to distract from that. It seems nuts that the Machado thing is the only thing her oppo research dug up at any rate, so I wonder if they're going to sit on it or we're going to see a strategic leak or two in the coming weeks.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

Nah. Hopefully, we will see steady improvement and generational change. Anything greater than that, and it will end up being short-lived while inviting a massive backlash.

I lived through the 80s and 90s, when "I believe in equality, but I am not a feminist." was a mantra among liberal women. That's a backlash from much less radical change than you are suggesting.

I also lived through the 80s and 90s. In 30 years, we've gone from there, to the first female president (outside, turn, spit). Shit's moving fast, and it's awesome. I have hope for the causes of progress and equality; the rise of the Internet has allowed certain hate-filled segments to fester, yes, but they are shrinking in size and political relevance, while the rest of the country is continually and rapidly exposed to new ideas. In the 90s, gays were perceived as icky, the butt of jokes, and today they can legally marry, openly serve in the military, and for most of the country carry no further social stigma. That's fucking amazing. The confluence of TV and Internet and Social Media constantly pushing and normalizing progressive ideas is pushing our collective perceptions faster than at any time in our history, it's just hard for us, as individuals, to step back and truly appreciate how much things have improved in our short lifetimes because we've known no other pace, and it feels slow to us.

Man, what a time to be alive.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Ahhh... been enjoying Olbermanns videos, I went back to look at the first one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQueaSlvjCw how did it get this far... seriously.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    You know, something I thought would happen after Clinton pulled Machado out of her pocket in the first debate was that they'd have even more to lay in on him in the second and third debates, but that didn't really happen. He self-destructed on his own while she stepped out of his way and let him. I really have to wonder if they DO have yet more on him that they could've pulled out if things were looking bad for her, but she recognized that he already created awful headlines for himself and didn't want to distract from that. It seems nuts that the Machado thing is the only thing her oppo research dug up at any rate, so I wonder if they're going to sit on it or we're going to see a strategic leak or two in the coming weeks.

It wasn't a new thing, but she triggered the meltdown last night. His behavior totally changed the second she said he "choked" in Mexico.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I also lived through the 80s and 90s. In 30 years, we've gone from there, to the first female president (outside, turn, spit). Shit's moving fast, and it's awesome. I have hope for the causes of progress and equality; the rise of the Internet has allowed certain hate-filled segments to fester, yes, but they are shrinking in size and political relevance, while the rest of the country is continually and rapidly exposed to new ideas. In the 90s, gays were perceived as icky, the butt of jokes, and today they can legally marry, openly serve in the military, and for most of the country carry no further social stigma. That's fucking amazing. The confluence of TV and Internet and Social Media constantly pushing and normalizing progressive ideas is pushing our collective perceptions faster than at any time in our history, it's just hard for us, as individuals, to step back and truly appreciate how much things have improved in our short lifetimes because we've known no other pace, and it feels slow to us.

Man, what a time to be alive.

It's been less than 100 years since women could even vote. Less than 200 since we had slavery. On a global scale what has happened in the last 30 years socially will be recorded as one of the largest paradigm shifts in human history.

• Options
    I think any prediction about how racism or patriarchy are about to end for the next generation such that white men might even be in a regrettably inferior position is very naive.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I think any prediction about how racism or patriarchy are about to end for the next generation such that white men might even be in a regrettably inferior position is very naive.

"Regrettably inferior" is a bit much. I'm expecting "largely equal, but scapegoated and the butt of jokes". Society tends to over-correct because emotions gonna emote.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Already visible in the top left corner on every one of his tweets.
    Yes, I'm way behind on this thread, catching up now, but nobody went for this in 3 pages.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The right wing is now trying to push that Clinton pointing out there's only about 4 minutes between the order and nuclear launch and proof she's giving away classified information.

I was waiting for a trump "Why would you announce that to everyone?" response, but then I realized he isnt clever at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    He self-destructed on his own while she stepped out of his way and let him.

She learned it from this WWII vet that did maintenance at the White House

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

No offence! Just confusion! I'm sleep deprived, I very easily could have forgotten doing something like that.

Although I'm honoured to be confused with Hakks. Quite a compliment.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

It wasn't a new thing, but she triggered the meltdown last night. His behavior totally changed the second she said he "choked" in Mexico.

Trump is such a virulent misogynist and I felt like for the longest time I was taking crazy pills because the media just kinda ignored it (until the first debate). Whenever a woman stood up to Trump he fucking lost his mind. When Pastor Timmons told him to get on message he went nuts for an entire week!

I was surprised that it didn't get picked up outside of like... Josh Marshall. It is my hope of hopes that the post mortems written on this election don't gloss over how real and visceral Trump's bigotry is... especially toward women, and how obvious it was even before it was made explicit.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    "no puppet. No puppet! You're the puppet."

I also caught one bigly so far, in a situation where 'big league' wouldn't work. Unless... big league is an insult towards Clinton?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

Trump is such a virulent misogynist and I felt like for the longest time I was taking crazy pills because the media just kinda ignored it (until the first debate). Whenever a woman stood up to Trump he fucking lost his mind. When Pastor Timmons told him to get on message he went nuts for an entire week!

I was surprised that it didn't get picked up outside of like... Josh Marshall. It is my hope of hopes that the post mortems written on this election don't gloss over how real and visceral Trump's bigotry is... especially toward women, and how obvious it was even before it was made explicit.

Really the whole final Trump meltdown which is now on I think six weeks started with Pastor Timmons.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I've been delighted for the last couple weeks or so that Trump was responsible for finally making this election about women. The historic nature of the election in general and Hillary's place in feminist history was remarkably absent from the dialogue.

But then the election essentially turned into feminism's boss fight against misogyny's true form (glowing weak points and all), so yay?

I know the rigged election talk is the big takeaway, but Trump's, "Your husband disagrees with you," line was some old-school bullshit.

• Options

I also caught one bigly so far, in a situation where 'big league' wouldn't work. Unless... big league is an insult towards Clinton?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    """I am not a puppet" - Puppet Donald Trump" - Donald Trump"

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

I think we are already there, we just haven't see the generational age in/ age out of the population at large statistics yet.

In lots of categories like
    Life expectancy
    Homicide rates
    College acceptance/graduation rates
    Imprisonment rates

The gaps between white female v white male are as large or larger than white v black gaps over all.

The last time we had a gender disparity this large in college attainment was the 1960s, and that got Title IX passed to correct it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    stop touching the fucking mic

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    stop touching the fucking mic

He can't help himself, whenever he sees a hot mic he just has to go for it

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Thread moved so fast not sure if anyone answered, but do they get monitors at the debates? Can they see themselves on the tv?

I bet Trump touches his mic so often because he's a TV guy and wants to draw your attention towards himself with movement. He couldn't stand still.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I remember him using it twice within the span of about a minute.

I was really surprised he only made one reference to the people he brought in the audience tonight. Still not sure what effect he was expecting by doing that, both in this debate and the last one. Donny, you're out of your element.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    He was saying "big league." It's a thing he says even when the context doesn't make any sense. It's just how he speaks: incoherently. And in this case, he's trying to get a hashtag #BigLeagueTruth trending on twitter, which is part of why he kept saying it over and over.

This is what he posted on his subreddit before the VP debate:
    BigLeagueTruth starts now. Make Crooked Hillary answer for her lies. Stop the corrupt mainstream media. Big League.

This is part of what he posted on the subreddit before last night's debate:
    Watch, comment, and share the truth w/ #BigLeagueTruth.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Big League Chew's PR team already revving up to join Tic-Tacs.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Thread moved so fast not sure if anyone answered, but do they get monitors at the debates? Can they see themselves on the tv?

I bet Trump touches his mic so often because he's a TV guy and wants to draw your attention towards himself with movement. He couldn't stand still.

I doubt it. The entire time it's two super close ups, barely fitting more than their heads in frame. He was constantly looking down at his notes, drinking water, fidgeting in ways that made him look like a goon.

I don't think I caught Hillary take a drink all night. Though her glass was probably filled with vodka.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Where are you getting that specific launch policy is not classified?

Supposedly the right are getting this from sources at the Pentagon that say that specific information is actually classified

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I remember him using it twice within the span of about a minute.

I was really surprised he only made one reference to the people he brought in the audience tonight. Still not sure what effect he was expecting by doing that, both in this debate and the last one. Donny, you're out of your element.

It had nothing to do with the debate. The entire point of the guests is to trick the media into mentioning them so Trump can say by proxy: "Obama isn't a citizen", "Bengahzi, Bengahzi, Bengahzi", and "McCain was an idiot".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    When I watched the debate, I actually thought the mic fiddling might be a strategy. Like I think he was told, at a loss of other options, to just fiddle with the mic whenever he felt like interrupting Hillary. Sort of like people in anger management snapping the rubber band around their wrist you see in TV. I felt like the timing tracked with that.

Mind you, it didn't work at all - because of course it didn't. It's the kind of strategy you try, out of desperation, with a child. But the Trump campaign is desperate and he is a child so...

• Options
    "if you don't like what I did, you should have changed the rules"

ffffffffuck you bro

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Where are you getting that specific launch policy is not classified?

Supposedly the right are getting this from sources at the Pentagon that say that specific information is actually classified

An easy one!

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-four-minute-nuclear/

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular

ffffffffuck you bro

The particularly galling part of that line of argument is that she did change the rules he was abusing by voting for a 2002 bill that closed one of the major loopholes he was taking advantage of.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »

ffffffffuck you bro

The particularly galling part of that line of argument is that she did change the rules he was abusing by voting for a 2002 bill that closed one of the major loopholes he was taking advantage of.

I'm consistently shocked that she never brought that up. It's such an easy, effective counter to his attack.

Maybe she doesn't want to get trapped in the weeds on tax policy, but it seems like a slam dunk.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hillary's campaign just texted me a gif of Hillary brushing off her shoulder at the Benghazi hearing to summarize last night and hit me up for cash

you bastards you know i can't resist a sassy gif

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.