As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization 6: The Thread

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    My impressions of the civs so far:

Brazil is the new Aztecs. Good lord they will never not invade me if they're next to me it seems

Gandhi is a complete asshole when it comes to religion. Prepare to face swarms, and I do mean swarms of missionaries.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I do like how all the civs have the specific things they care about.

Gandhi gets super mad when you declare war on anybody.
    Arabia wants everyone to follow their religion and so long as you do, you're cool.
    Russia likes you if you've got lots of culture and science, doesn't like you if don't.
    Rome just literally likes anyone with big borders.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Welp Germany is done. They finally got pissy with me and demanded all my money for one luxury good so I refused. Next turn about 50 knights attacked me. Roman forces consisted of: 1 Army Group of modern infantry (The second army was guarding an isolated city I'd just build over the only oil I could find on the map) 1 Machine Gun unit, 1 artillery, and a tank.

God damn massacre. Six knight units attacked my MG squad a turn and were all gunned down one after the other. I then proceeded to roll across their borders and start capturing cities with ease. Meanwhile my navy consisting of a battleship fleet and a destroyer fleet started capturing Germany colonies once I realized destroyers could capture coastal cities.

Germany then had the audacity to ask for peace by demanding I pay them all my gold. AHAHAHAHAHA you're done now. I was going to leave you with your two tiny cities but nope not anymore.

Roman is now the only empire on this continent and I have several smaller cities on some minor islands as well.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I do like how all the civs have the specific things they care about.

Gandhi gets super mad when you declare war on anybody.
    Arabia wants everyone to follow their religion and so long as you do, you're cool.
    Russia likes you if you've got lots of culture and science, doesn't like you if don't.
    Rome just literally likes anyone with big borders.

And Brazil hates anyone that generates more great people than them, to the point of actually declaring war and throwing their ridiculous UU at you (It's a Battleship they get from the civics tree almost an era earlier than you'd get the Battleship tech and it has +1 range, it's fucking disgusting).

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's probably gonna take me a while to figure out how all the systems work together

I started out intending to do a domination victory and just sorta fell into a science one because that was the only avenue I wasn't getting my ass handed to me in

I still can't figure out how to even found a religion, either

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Also of note: as Kongo, there is fuck all you can do to stop someone from getting a religious victory other than responding with military force. I lost a game to religion two turns before I would have won with tourism and it burns my ass.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The computer dragged out a religious victory in me for like a hundred turns by just constantly settling new cities so I was always one shy of having a majority share

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's probably gonna take me a while to figure out how all the systems work together

I started out intending to do a domination victory and just sorta fell into a science one because that was the only avenue I wasn't getting my ass handed to me in

I still can't figure out how to even found a religion, either

Have you found the Great People page?

You get points towards a GP from various things, and the more of a particular type of GP is hired, the more expensive they become for everyone. You can also straight up buy them with "patronage" but it costs pretty bonkers amounts of cash or faith. (like over 1K gold or 750ish faith)

Prophets are special in that there is a limited number available in total. Once they run out, they're out. (although Arabia has a special ability that grants them the last one when the second to last one is hired, which is pretty dope)

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i cant get anyone to declare war on me

• Options
    I just had a really weird thing happen

I did the benchmark test after messing with some graphical settings

And then when I hit resume game after it was done, it resumed the game the benchmark sets up?

I had to go load a save to resume the game I was actually playing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

First game: "oh man how cool is it that there's a civic that gets boosted when someone declares war on you"

Second game: "OH FUCK YOU CATHERINE AND THE HEAVY CHARIOTS YOU RODE IN ON THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT"

*begins building spearmen*

• Options
    Oh man, the Rocketry tech quoted John Carmack

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    The computer dragged out a religious victory in me for like a hundred turns by just constantly settling new cities so I was always one shy of having a majority share

Can you still cheese the religious victory by making cities, giving them your religion, and then just handing that city to an enemy civ?
    I know it was a doable strategy in the press-release or whatever all those streamers were playing it on.

I cant imagine winning faith any other way. Every AI even on the lower difficulties just spams the crap out of missionaries. And You cant get super-inquisitors, or some other "late-era" type faith unit to stop it.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It's the same way tourism was hard to win. (before someone just won a science victory instead)

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I really like the way each great person has their unique thing they do.

On the other hand, I had the ability to get a great scientist, said no, and then because I was getting twice as much great scientist points as anyone else, once someone actually got him I got 3 of my own the next turn.

I gotta go up from prince on my next game, I think.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Saladin declared war in me as a surprise because its just us on a small contient but he has 1 city to my 2 because oh my god thete are so many barbarians

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got jeans now and every country wants them. Fuck you these jeans are mine!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Japan is Really Fucking Good

electronics factories are kinda overpowered. I was going for a science victory and then accidentally got a culture victory in the year 1930 because WHOOPS electrification boosted my culture geometrically

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    yeah as japan im winning at culture right now even though I've barely done anything for it

one thing I've noticed is that since Wonders actually take a lot of work to set up, one of the classic AI cheats of "just build all the wonders 1 turn before Player 1 can" is gone... i've still got classical era wonders not built in the modern era

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    yeah as japan im winning at culture right now even though I've barely done anything for it

one thing I've noticed is that since Wonders actually take a lot of work to set up, one of the classic AI cheats of "just build all the wonders 1 turn before Player 1 can" is gone... i've still got classical era wonders not built in the modern era

Thank god

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I had a couple wonders get snatched out from under me, but yeah, it's a lot easier to avoid that now. Anyways, just won a culture victory in the middle of the 20th century. I was in the atomic era in civics, and I don't think anyone else was in the modern era? It was weird.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    in the steam thread I observed one of my opponents for some reason got stuck in the ancient/classic era and just kept spamming base horsemen versus my riflemen...

and i recently discovered that another one of my opponents are doing basically the same

the AI needs some work. sometimes its good, but sometimes its bad. i expected a lot more competition/hassle from Prince (in fact I'm probably going to abandon my current campaign for a higher difficulty because I'm at a point where I am multiple eras ahead AND producing 2x more science than 2nd place.. and I'm leading in every other category. there's literally no way I can lose, so I'm just burning time)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

It seems like there's a fine line between what the AI wants to build for their victory and what terrain allows.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Scythia REALLY doesn't like you messing with city states.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I took a city and it says "Occupied: no growth"

Is that permanent or only for a while?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So settle (heh) something for me

does the "Shuffle" map option just pick one of the other ones at random or is it just its own generation algorithm?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

when you capture cities, opposing civs have to cede them to you (part of the trade panel)

that removes the effect. i'm not sure if there's any other way.

if you beat someone hard enough, it usually comes with the peace treaty

• Options

It lasts until you make peace with the original owner.

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

Jasc already mentioned the cede portion.
    But I felt it important to point out that if you just up and eliminate them from the game entirely, the cities dont need to be ceded, they'll just start growing normally.

Sure you could make peace. But man, that's just so inefficient.

• Options
    i deeply appreciate the Europa Universalis type diplomacy stuff they tried to pepper into the game, but I don't think they went far enough

for example, I should be able to have a completely penalty free casus belli if you spam missionaries on my cities

• Options
    Just won my first game. As Rome I launched a mission to Mars. I was so far ahead of everyone it was not even funny. On the very last turn before mission go I sailed my carrier fleet and submarines over to brazil and decided to do some disarmament by using my stockpile of 2 nuke and 1 thermonuclear warheads to make brazil stop being so annoying. Those thermonukes are pretty crazy.

Then on turn roll over everyone denounces me and I'm like, "PEACE ALL" *Slam spaceship hatch closed and leave the irradiated earth behind."

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Religious victory with Egypt. I had so much money pouring in from trade routs.

Does anyone know if wonder bonuses expire? I lost the one that gives my apostles a free upgrade but I couldn't tell if it was because I entered a new age or if another wonder (the one that makes them martyrs automatically) interfered with it and it bugged out, because I kept getting the "your unit can be promoted" alert, but the option wasn't available on the unit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Does game length setting make the years not leap forward as much per turn or just make research and building just take longer but time progresses at the same rate.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Does game length setting make the years not leap forward as much per turn or just make research and building just take longer but time progresses at the same rate.

Traditionally, it changed the rate of years per turn so the game always ends at 2050 but at a different number of turns, and adjusted every rate in the game so things would happen around the same year but in different numbers of turns (so what changes is the granularity).

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Traditionally, it changed the rate of years per turn so the game always ends at 2050 but at a different number of turns, and adjusted every rate in the game so things would happen around the same year but in different numbers of turns (so what changes is the granularity).

Okay good.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

when you capture cities, opposing civs have to cede them to you (part of the trade panel)

that removes the effect. i'm not sure if there's any other way.

if you beat someone hard enough, it usually comes with the peace treaty

I ended up making peace with Germany even though I could have wiped them out, since War Weariness was starting to grow very high

They ceded all 3 cities I had taken from them, and even threw in a fourth for good measure

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    somethings going on in my install and the load times are getting worse and worse... verify local files didn't help

hmmm

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I really like this game so far. I'm a Civ fan but not an expert, but I kinda feel like this is probably the best "vanilla" Civ in a while, if not ever?

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I really like this game so far. I'm a Civ fan but not an expert, but I kinda feel like this is probably the best "vanilla" Civ in a while, if not ever?

i never played 1-3, but in the 4-6 era, so far this one looks like it's either the best or has the potential to be the best with only modest patching

I'd like to see some more leaders come out soon and some AI improvements, then it's got my vote

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    maybe i did it wrong but going the religious route seemed kind of dull

after founding the religion it felt like there wasn't really much to do other than build faith as fast as possible and spam apostles and missionaries