As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    It's kind of a favorite amongst my friends. While it's actually more complicated than this, the easiest way to describe the game is if you mashed up a TCG ala Magic the Gathering, with Monopoly. Mobile is a natural platform for it and I don't know why the DS and earlier 3ds incarnations never made it over here, but the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions we got were awesome and got a lot of play out of me and my friends.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Right around last Black Friday I decided that I probably wanted to get a 3DS. I was actually at a Target that had maybe three of the white $99.00 systems left in stock the day after and thought to myself "I'll just wait, there will be more around X-mas time." Boy was I wrong. I saw somebody selling a brand new black N3DS for $150. 00 on an internal company for-sale email list a few weeks ago and snapped it up. I regret nothing.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Y'all are so excited about Culdcept but I have no clue what it is. What is it?

The best way to describe how it's played is, first imagine you're playing Monopoly. Then imagine you don't immediately walk away after reading that. When you land on a space, instead of buying it to lay claim to it, you play a creature card from your hand - skeletons, knights, chimeras and weirder things, all with various stats and special effects laid out on the cards. If other players land there, they either have to pay you like in Monopoly, or they can attempt to fight you with one of their creatures, and if they win their creature takes that spot. When you get in a fight, you can play offensive or defensive weapon/armor cards to boost the power of your creature. And just like buying houses and hotels in Monopoly, you can pay to upgrade the land your creature is on, boosting its stats AND the amount of money people would have to pay if they landed there. Finally, there are magic spell cards you can play at the start of your turn to do various things like force an opponent to roll a 1 or deal damage to sombody's creature somewhere.

There are tons of cool card effects and strategies that shake up the gameplay. And as you play through the single player campaign or against other people, you earn random packs of cards that you can add to your deck, and there are hundreds of them.

It's really fun, even just against AI!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

The best way to describe how it's played is, first imagine you're playing Monopoly. Then imagine you don't immediately walk away after reading that. When you land on a space, instead of buying it to lay claim to it, you play a creature card from your hand - skeletons, knights, chimeras and weirder things, all with various stats and special effects laid out on the cards. If other players land there, they either have to pay you like in Monopoly, or they can attempt to fight you with one of their creatures, and if they win their creature takes that spot. When you get in a fight, you can play offensive or defensive weapon/armor cards to boost the power of your creature. And just like buying houses and hotels in Monopoly, you can pay to upgrade the land your creature is on, boosting its stats AND the amount of money people would have to pay if they landed there. Finally, there are magic spell cards you can play at the start of your turn to do various things like force an opponent to roll a 1 or deal damage to sombody's creature somewhere.

There are tons of cool card effects and strategies that shake up the gameplay. And as you play through the single player campaign or against other people, you earn random packs of cards that you can add to your deck, and there are hundreds of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t__JJDzgT0o

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

This just sold me on a game I've never known about, which is weird since I'm usually googling whatever is mentioned in the news posts if I'm unaware of it. Either way I want it, so it's in my Amazon wish list for when it gets released. Too bad it isn't coming to Switch.

b1rdman on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yes! Culdcept is coming.

Only thing missing is a new Meteos.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I finally got around to playing Rhythm Heaven Mega Mix. Man, I don't know how to feel about this game. I was REALLY enjoying it at first. Then I got to the stupid Chorus Kids one and I flat out could not do it right. I kept failing over and over and over, and it would not let me continue until I got a silver. FINALLY I got it good enough to continue. Then I got to the next area and it wants me to spend all my coins I earned doing a stupid coin flipping thing that deliberately fucks with me by alternating the music/beat to make me fail. And now I am out of coins so I have to go back and do stuff I have already done. So I quit. Like, why all the artificial barriers? Just let me play fun rhythm games, maybe not be good at all of them, but isn't that what the whole high score thing is for? Like, the Chorus Kids thing, fine, I get it, though I think it was super picky about score because I really only had like 5 or so chances to not fuck up, so one or two fuck-ups was enough to fail me. But the coin thing was really a dick move IMO. I dunno...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Those forced coin spending parts at least will let you pass after failing enough times. I've only seen it in Japanese, but I heard the guy says something like, "the game is meant to be fun and not being allowed to continue because you can't afford to keep failing is not fun."

In previous Rhythm Heaven games, after the first Remix stage, the dog barista will let you pass a stage if you keep getting "Try Again" on it; but I can't remember if it's like that for Megamix, since I usually quit and started over mid-stage if felt I was doing less than "Suberb" or missed the star.

homogenized on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    p99ouulklt81.jpg
    I'ma just leave this here...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular

This sounds like the Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep minigame. It's called Command Board... well... minus the laying down your monsters part. I'm sure there are a bunch of similar games out there with their own flair.

• Options
    At some point Culdcept went up on Amazon for preorder. I got in for 2 copies, not sure if it's going to be rare or a low print run, seems like something that could definitely end up that way. I like that Prime gives that 20% off for preordering.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    What the what you guys, Blaster Master Zero hits March 9!

3DS and Switch.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    What the what you guys, Blaster Master Zero hits March 9!

3DS and Switch.

I watched a video of the localization guy playing it and was very impressed. Definite nods to the original with new stuff in it. looked very much in the vein of Metroid Zero Mission.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    blaster master is in the sunsoft umbrella of rad NES music

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm glad I gave Shovel Knight Plague of Shadows another shot after watching the trailer for the new Shovel Knight DLC. It's really really good!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Are they done making 3DS systems now? I haven't seen one in the stores for months.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Are they done making 3DS systems now? I haven't seen one in the stores for months.

I think the semi-educated theory is that Nintendo shifted 100% of their manufacturing time in the last few months to the Switch, trying to get as many of those made for launch as possible.

They'll *probably* start shifting production back to 3DS once demand for the Switch calms down a bit, but probably never back to peak levels.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I think the semi-educated theory is that Nintendo shifted 100% of their manufacturing time in the last few months to the Switch, trying to get as many of those made for launch as possible.

They'll *probably* start shifting production back to 3DS once demand for the Switch calms down a bit, but probably never back to peak levels.

I'd say it's more they underestimated just how much demand they created for lapsed Pokemon fans via Pokemon Go. Like most manufacturers Nintendo contracts out the actual manufacturing rather than doing it themselves... they could easily have a company do both provided they have the capacity.

And seriously, the Pokemon Go bump is amazing. The 3DS had been selling relatively crappily over the last couple of years, and it's extremely hard to create a halo effect from one device/platform/whatever to another. I don't think it's every really been done from one gaming platform to another to be honest.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Hmm, my old one got damaged so i figured i may as well upgrade to the NEW 3ds, but i think it might be better just to send the current one in for repairs now.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'd say it's more they underestimated just how much demand they created for lapsed Pokemon fans via Pokemon Go. Like most manufacturers Nintendo contracts out the actual manufacturing rather than doing it themselves... they could easily have a company do both provided they have the capacity.

And seriously, the Pokemon Go bump is amazing. The 3DS had been selling relatively crappily over the last couple of years, and it's extremely hard to create a halo effect from one device/platform/whatever to another. I don't think it's every really been done from one gaming platform to another to be honest.

I dunno, most large companies consider phone apps to be a marketing cost and not really a money generator, so even though consumers see it as a new Pokemon game in the franchise, I think the whole point of phone stuff for Nintendo is to promote their brands. Might be my perspective, the product I support has both a free online 'basic' version and an iPad app, both of which have limited functionality, the intention of which is to entice customers into buying the full desktop product with all the features that are missing and to expand the 'brand'. I agree that they've been far more successful at it than anyone else in recent years, and that it's seen differently when your product is a game/gaming console, but I'm sure the business itself looks at it more through my perspective than a gamer's.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I dunno, most large companies consider phone apps to be a marketing cost and not really a money generator, so even though consumers see it as a new Pokemon game in the franchise, I think the whole point of phone stuff for Nintendo is to promote their brands. Might be my perspective, the product I support has both a free online 'basic' version and an iPad app, both of which have limited functionality, the intention of which is to entice customers into buying the full desktop product with all the features that are missing and to expand the 'brand'. I agree that they've been far more successful at it than anyone else in recent years, and that it's seen differently when your product is a game/gaming console, but I'm sure the business itself looks at it more through my perspective than a gamer's.

Absolutely. Synergy is the idealistic goal. Thing is, Nintendo's the first one to really pull it off across platforms with Pokemon Go. Sony's smartphone games landed with thuds, the Vita ties to other PlayStation systems fizzled, and Smartglass is a joke. Even Nintendo's sub-goal with the Wii to get casuals hooked on more advanced games didn't really work (even if the Wii itself was a success due to casuals). Back on topic, that's why I'm cutting Nintendo some slack for not making enough 3DS systems to keep up with the demand -- we've never seen such a rousing success of this nature before. I didn't really think it was feasible, but it looks like I'm wrong. Happily wrong.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

3DS isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It isn't... until it is.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Limited Edition Fire Emblem Echoes
    fire-emblem-echoes-limited-edition-bundle-656x512.jpg
    Along with a copy of the game, it includes a hardcover Valentia Artbook, Sound Selection CD, Pin Set depicting characters Alm, Celica and Marth, and and a reversible cover sheet that looks like the packaging for the original Famicom game this new one is based on.

The Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Limited Edition bundle will be sold at select retailers for $59.99. It will be available on May 19.
    Alm and Celica amiibo set releases as well for $24.99

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh man that looks cool! Reasonable price too IMO. I will try to pick that up!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I was hoping for a new game but at least more people will be able to experience this gem.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Anyone get, or getting Mario Sports Superstars? I completely forgot about it in all the Switch hype. Just wondering if it's worth the purchase. I tend to enjoy most Nintendo Sports games, and this seems like the closest I'll get to a new strikers.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I was hoping for a new game but at least more people will be able to experience this gem.

It is a bit disappointing though that they would remove the heavily stylized character designs for a more anime-generic look. There doesn't appear to be a reason why, either.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Anyone get, or getting Mario Sports Superstars? I completely forgot about it in all the Switch hype. Just wondering if it's worth the purchase. I tend to enjoy most Nintendo Sports games, and this seems like the closest I'll get to a new strikers.

I was waiting on what people thought of it as you get a baseball and strikers in the same game but the amiibo cards coming back is kind of disappointing

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So blaster master zero is pretty cool. I'm really liking it, but what's up with the fall damage when you're out of sophia? Sometimes it hurts me, other times not? Seems really inconsistent.

Also, not a big deal since I can change it, but what with this default settings having a as cancel and b as select? This drives me nuts. I noticed it was set like that in shovel knight too. Do people actually play like that?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Literally all of those being Atlus games, there's no doubt they're going to come west. I'm not so confident on SE and DQ11 3DS, sadly.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Literally all of those being Atlus games, there's no doubt they're going to come west. I'm not so confident on SE and DQ11 3DS, sadly.

SE?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    even as someone that did like EMD, at this point announcing a game that is coming out who knows when for a 7 year old system isn't doing much for me. I'm in "looking to pick up leftovers from the 3ds library on the cheap" mode.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

SE?

Squareenix. Not a game.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    "hurrrr durrrr the 3DS is totally dead!!"

So mostly niche Japanese games? So it's basically the same level of "alive" as the Vita at this point.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Radiant Historia is disappointing. It looks nearly identical to the original game, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply runs at the 3DS's slightly higher resolution with the same old textures. But now there's new character artwork (and animated cutscenes? and voice acting?), except all the artwork is worse than the original.

YHSIGSs.png

Compare the old art below to the trailer above:

kA1cwhg.jpg?1

It used to be really stylish like comic art, with a great use of dark lines. Now it's just regular animes.

Apparently you can buy the old portraits back as DLC...

UncleSporky on