As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Channel Zero] No End House, a show about scary internet stories

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited September 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
saR8i3Y.jpg?1

Channel Zero is a new show on SyFy! It's a horror anthology show, similar to American Horror Story in that each season will focus on a different scary story or "Creepypasta" from the internet.

Season one is about Candle Cove, a story written by Kris Straub, a webcomic artist and writer. Season Two is supposed to be about the creepypasta "NoEnd House"

There are three episodes out at the time of this post and all three are available to watch for free on SyFy's website, no verification required.
http://www.syfy.com/channelzero/episodes

Anyone else watching? I think so far it's very good! They have made it feel very creepy and managed to take a fun internet creepy story and turn it into an intriguing mystery and horror show.

So watch it!

Or I'll skin your hide.

vTeWphO.jpg?1

Use spoiler tags for current seasons?

You guys remember Candle Cove? (45 second video clip)

edit: 9/22, No-End House is out!

SniperGuy on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its super creepy, and just generally unsettling. Like it doesn't rely on jump scares, it relies on a feeling of unease that just never goes away. And the puppet show lives up to the short stories description of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying it, and shot definitly started getting real as of episode 3. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

• Options
    My wife after last weeks episode "Yeah there will be no happy ending here."

I'm still intrigued by the lady who lost her son to the first batch of killings, but is now directly involved with them? Like what the balls is going on?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Oh nice didn't know it was out, I really enjoy Kris's horror writings curious to see what they do with the candle cove short.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The old lady (spoilers through ep 3)
    Is clearly up to something but I have no idea how the creepy tooth child is connected. Is it her own son? Is it some terrible monster? Did she make the show or is just controlled by it? I have no idea! Pretty sure Mike is screwed though, given she seems to want to keep him safe for now. Did toothy bring Mike's daughter? QUESTIONS!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I only heard about this show because Kris Straub tweeted about it.
    Seems like mostly everyone in the town is either mentally ill... Or that tooth THING is real. :bigfrown: I'd prefer to believe the former.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Hrrmmmm .. is content on SyFy region locked? cause the video is not loading (Canada)

VPN fixed that... wow.. first episode was pretty great.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its super creepy, and just generally unsettling. Like it doesn't rely on jump scares, it relies on a feeling of unease that just never goes away. And the puppet show lives up to the short stories description of it.

I just finished episode 2 and.. uh.. yeah..

This sits with you. I'm not sure if I can go on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    First episode in and, yeah... it's unsettling to say the least. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, SniperGuy!

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I just finished episode 2 and.. uh.. yeah..

This sits with you. I'm not sure if I can go on.

Its only 6 episodes, so you have to finish it. You have to go inside.

I do say that episode 3 made me really angry.

When they kidnapped mike and that one guy was going to kill him, Gary was all "look hey uhh things got out of hand." NO FUCKING SHIT GARY!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Is there a way to watch this via Apple TV, or through Airplay?

Would prefer watching it on my big TV, lights out and headphones.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Looks like you have to verify to watch more than the 3 eps on their website now. *shakefist*

Gonna have to figure out how to do that when I get home. 4th episode is out!

edit: Gave up and got it on amazon. It doesn't auto-verify for me like AoS did.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I really liked the short story this season was based on. Just the right length, with a really nice mix of details in it. I figured I'd read NoEnd House to get my creepypasta fix last night, and it is not good.

Unless I hear the next season is absolutely amazing, I will be skipping it. I honestly hope they go with something else, because as good as this season is with the sense of dread and unease it's constantly hanging over you, there's nothing interesting about NoEnd House. Anyway, the third episode was pretty good. I'll probably watch the next one tomorrow.

Episode 3 ruminations
    I'm kind of surprised there isn't more going on with the whole twin thing. Like Eddie putting on Mike's jacket and acting like him in the past. I guess that would make sense in a non-supernatural story, but there doesn't seem to be a need for that when Eddie has mind control powers. Also, it sounds like SyFy let one of the fucks slip in the show. Right when Tim is about to shoot Mike, he says "Fuck talking" and it's not cut off like the other two times.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I rather expect if you flesh out NoEnd House like they have with this it'll be interesting enough.

Personally I'm hoping there is an overarching -thing- behind all of the Creepypasta coming to life.

• Options
    yea... interesting premise badly executed that NoEnd House creepypasta... if they can take Candle Cove and make it into a good 6 episode story then I am sure they can do something with NoEnd.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The beginning interview bit of the first episode totally sold me on the show.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Anyone up to speed on episode 4?
    I figured the tooth monster was maybe Eddy, but now I also think Mike is Eddy because of the tooth monster twice now "attending" to mikes his left hand exactly where Eddy had fingers broken. Episode 4 dashes the latter somewhat.

Anyway, Mikes reactions to the various "dream" figures/ghosts are unsettling. Simply because it doesn't scare him when it should.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    I figured the tooth monster was maybe Eddy, but now I also think Mike is Eddy because of the tooth monster twice now "attending" to mikes his left hand exactly where Eddy had fingers broken. Episode 4 dashes the latter somewhat.

Anyway, Mikes reactions to the various "dream" figures/ghosts are unsettling. Simply because it doesn't scare him when it should.

Yeah I have started to wonder
    did eddy actually kill mike and take his place? Is this actually Mike somehow hijacking Eddie's consciousness or something? Did burning the body do something bad? They mentioned Eddie having an extra tooth. Related to toothy child?

Old lady had the puppets in her basement so she either made the show or helped it somehow. Cop lady is in some dangerous water in that basement but hopefully can get it reported in time?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

did eddy actually kill mike and take his place? Is this actually Mike somehow hijacking Eddie's consciousness or something? Did burning the body do something bad? They mentioned Eddie having an extra tooth. Related to toothy child?

Old lady had the puppets in her basement so she either made the show or helped it somehow. Cop lady is in some dangerous water in that basement but hopefully can get it reported in time?
    Twice they laid out Mike and Eddy planning or having done twin swap schemes. This seems like foreshadowing or clever red herring.

I'm going to roll with toothy being some sort of parasite dream monster tethered to Mike (Eddy?). This leaves how the old lady seems involved as loose thread, so not yet prime computation.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Just watched the first two episodes! Wish I could marathon it now.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Twice they laid out Mike and Eddy planning or having done twin swap schemes. This seems like foreshadowing or clever red herring.

I'm going to roll with toothy being some sort of parasite dream monster tethered to Mike (Eddy?). This leaves how the old lady seems involved as loose thread, so not yet prime computation.
    Episode 3 had me wondering about there being a Mike/Eddy switch too, except that the flashbacks seem to have made that difficult. Eddie wore the red shirt that he died in, and was wearing it when Mike got the hook and chased him into the woods. Although the mention of the extra tooth definitely has me wondering if they're going to pull some kind of switch, because now that Jessica is dead, Mike telling her about it as a kid is pretty irrelevant.)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We watched the 4 available episode and so far it's pretty meh. The storyline is pretty glacial, the acting ranges from ok to awful (sadly, the awful is most of the main characters) and it's really not creepy or scary in any way, for me at least.

The bf loves
    the Tooth Child. I think the costume is pretty amazing but as a critter it's just not really doing anything for me.

End of ep 4 spoilers:
    That was one of the stupidest fucking deaths I've ever seen. She was stabbed twice, was holding a gun, then ran off with blowing those little fuckers away only to get slaughtered in the kiddie pool. C'mon lady.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    We watched the 4 available episode and so far it's pretty meh. The storyline is pretty glacial, the acting ranges from ok to awful (sadly, the awful is most of the main characters) and it's really not creepy or scary in any way, for me at least.

The bf loves
    the Tooth Child. I think the costume is pretty amazing but as a critter it's just not really doing anything for me.

End of ep 4 spoilers:
    That was one of the stupidest fucking deaths I've ever seen. She was stabbed twice, was holding a gun, then ran off with blowing those little fuckers away only to get slaughtered in the kiddie pool. C'mon lady.

Well, end of ep 4, as they point out
    They're kids. She's not going to shoot a kid. And in the space of time it took for her to realize she probably should she got fatally stabbed. She didn't know there were 4 there after all.

• Options
    Yeah its totally easy to see how a normal person would struggle to kill children, even if they looked like they would very much want to kill you.

So the kids are currently taken over by all the other children Peter sent to candle cove right?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The bf loves

End of ep 4 spoilers:

They're kids. She's not going to shoot a kid. And in the space of time it took for her to realize she probably should she got fatally stabbed. She didn't know there were 4 there after all.
    They stabbed her twice. She would have shot a kid. That was lamesauce.

• Options
    Yeah its totally easy to see how a normal person would struggle to kill children, even if they looked like they would very much want to kill you.

So the kids are currently taken over by all the other children Peter sent to candle cove right?
    No? I didn't get that at all. They're just being "affected" by the program like Eddie and murdered lady's daughter was. And who's Peter?

• Options

The bf loves

End of ep 4 spoilers:

Well
    I'm fairly certain if you stab me and then back away and I shoot you when you're no longer threatening me, I'm getting in trouble. Especially if you're a kid. Especially if it looks like you were running away. And while weighing those options, whoops stabbed by the third kid.

It's very easy for us to sit back and think about the cold logic of it but in that moment I highly doubt many others would act very differently.

• Options

No? I didn't get that at all. They're just being "affected" by the program like Eddie and murdered lady's daughter was. And who's Peter?

There were
    5 deaths, including Eddie (Mike's brother who killed the other 4 kids with candle cove powers). Now there's 4 kids again and the daughter went crazy pants for a bit and seemed possessed. So it might be reasonable to guess the other 4 kids are also possessed. Or they've got the candle cove magic in 'em.

• Options
    edited November 2016

The bf loves

End of ep 4 spoilers:

Well
    I'm fairly certain if you stab me and then back away and I shoot you when you're no longer threatening me, I'm getting in trouble. Especially if you're a kid. Especially if it looks like you were running away. And while weighing those options, whoops stabbed by the third kid.

It's very easy for us to sit back and think about the cold logic of it but in that moment I highly doubt many others would act very differently.

I absolutely do and it's why I have a problem with it. There's zero "cold logic" involved.
    She was being threatened the entire time, there was no point where she no longer was. They were all advancing with their knives out.

basically, the scene went on too long. they could have ended it earlier and it would have made perfect sense, don't give time to think.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

Sorry I meant eddie for some reason I thought his name was peter.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Episode 5! One more to go.
    Okay so crazy child's crazy ghost essence is controlling that lady but there are still horrible monster faced things running around unless those are purely illusions. What's in Candle Cove? Excited to find out.

• Options
    Eddy is:
    Hive from AoS. Just a different mode of infection and instead of in humans it's kids (plus an epileptic)

• Options
    So creepy. At least geek cop got some before getting some...

Guess we find out soon what's going on...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I feel like this show is somehow PERFECTLY surfing a line between "decent creepy horror show" and "campy but enjoyable b-movie horror". And I love it for that.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I hope they stick the landing. Like I want resolution good or bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Bah. I thought the finale was the weakest episode of the show.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Shit dude. Maybe I'm just starved for quality horror TV, but I thought this was incredible all the way through.

Finale spoilers
    I thought that Eddie's world in the finale was excellent for maximum spook. Just the idea that there's no outside supernatural force, that this whole deal is just him and the Skin Taker is just a horrible representation of his self loathing self was excellent. The idea that this kid is such an incredible psychic presence that he can defeat death by creating a new world just for himself that he can dwell within, and that this world he creates with his ultimate power is fucking horrible and even he hates it and is tortured by living in it and wants desperately to escape... It says so much about his character and how fucked up his mind is and adds this whole background radiation of dread to their conversations about Eddie gaining access to the real world.

• Options
    I liked the ending quite a bit! I feel they properly wrapped up everything and didn't leave annoying loose ends. Very satisfying ending and quite creepy the whole time.

• Options
    Yeah I enjoyed the ending. It was nice and definitive an explained pretty much everything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I burned through this show over the weekend

It was unsettling and good tv horror

Looking forward to what they do with other settings in future seasons

ObiFett on